2020-2021 Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! My spouse and I currently own a house 45 minutes away from campus and I will be commuting for at least M1 & M2 to Wauwatosa (once clerkships start M3 we plan to buy a house closer to Milwaukee). How much you are willing to commute depends on multiple factors and what's important to you. For me and the spouse, keeping this house and location is important to us for a few more years, and the money saved there is still worth more than the money that will be spent on gas. Not to mention, spending 1-1.5 hours a day commuting is exhausting to some, however I used to commute pretty far in the past and I look forward to using it as time to drink coffee, listen to music/podcasts/lectures, and relax. Traffic wise, I also plan to stick to my current schedule of getting up early and arriving to campus (the days I need to be there) before rush hour.

By commuting, you'd also probably be in the minority as I'm sure most students will want to live within 15 minutes or less of the campus. But just know you won't be the only one doing it. If the benefits personally outway the inconvenience and it's the lifestyle you want to live, go for it!
Hi! Thank you for the response! It's good to know I wont be the only one commuting far! I think it could be good as it would force me to wake up early in the mornings, and unwind in the car before and after classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the response! I figured the drive wouldn't be too bad, and maybe even be a nice break from the stresses of school. Also I think we would plan on moving to Wauwatosa for my 3rd and 4th years, so I wouldn't have to worry too much about rotations. Once again, thank you!
Of course, enjoy your time at MCW! Very jealous and very excited for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey did anyone mail to get their credit report? if so how long did it take?
"If you order your report by calling (877) 322-8228, your report will be processed and mailed to you within 15 days. Mail: If you use the Annual Credit Report Request Form or write a letter, your request will be processed and mailed to you within 15 days of receipt."

hey did anyone mail to get their credit report? if so how long did it take?
Not sure about your particular situation but it can all be done electronically and took me less than 5 minutes to retrieve my credit report and then send it to the school. if you log in to MCWconnect and follow the credit report link on the financial aid check list you can do it electronically for free

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure about your particular situation but it can all be done electronically and took me less than 5 minutes to retrieve my credit report and then send it to the school. if you log in to MCWconnect and follow the credit report link on the financial aid check list you can do it electronically for free
Yep! You can do it here. Annual Credit Report.com - Home Page

There are some people who can't verify their identity online and have to get it physically mailed to them, which may explain why they choose to do it via mail.

Yeah I tried that but unfortunately it couldn't verify my identity. Mailed it awhile back hoping it comes back before April 30

Reactions: 1 users
Yep! You can do it here. Annual Credit Report.com - Home Page

There are some people who can't verify their identity online and have to get it physically mailed to them, which may explain why they choose to do it via mail.
You could also try getting a credit report from Credit Karma, Chase Bank, a discover credit card or another similar service (all are free). I don't know if MCW needs on from Equifax/Experian/Transunion, but it is worth a shot!

Sorry if this has been asked before, but for those of you applying for institutional aid, how long did you make your essay portion? I don't see any character limit and I feel like I could write a lot, but also don't want to if they're just looking for a brief overview of how you demonstrate the qualities they listed.

Those on the WL just got this email.

"Hello XXXXXXXX,

I’m reaching out with some updates and reminders because you are currently on the waitlist for the MCW-Milwaukee entering class of 2021.

To remain on the waitlist past April 30, you need to have an approved credit report submitted to our Financial Aid office. You can send this via email or to the address below. Applicants who do not have this requirement completed may have their application withdrawn shortly after April 30. If you do not anticipate being able to meet this deadline, please contact the Financial Aid Office ([email protected]) and Admissions Office ([email protected]) before the deadline.

If you are a Wisconsin resident for tuition purposes, you need to submit your residency paperwork to HEAB as soon as possible if you have not done so already. Ideally, this would be received by April 30.

If you have any missing prerequisite coursework, we recommend you actively work on completing it now. You do not need to send your final, official transcripts unless you are offered admission. 

We encourage you to continue to keep us updated through the secondary application portal on your activities and interest. You may also have additional letters of recommendation submitted on your behalf. We recommend that your letter-writer simply email those to us directly at [email protected]. If you have made other plans and are no longer interested in MCW, you may contact our office to withdraw your application.

Our waitlist is unranked, but we will do our best to keep you updated regarding general movement of the waitlist beginning in mid-May. We anticipate we will select applicants from the waitlist this year to fill our incoming class but will not know with certainty until after April 30.

Thanks for your interest in MCW, and have a great day!

Alexis"

Sorry if this has been asked before, but for those of you applying for institutional aid, how long did you make your essay portion? I don't see any character limit and I feel like I could write a lot, but also don't want to if they're just looking for a brief overview of how you demonstrate the qualities they listed.
I have the exact same question. I feel like a lot about me is already in my application...not sure whether to list experiences/ qualities or to rewrite some essays.

I have the exact same question. I feel like a lot about me is already in my application...not sure whether to list experiences/ qualities or to rewrite some essays.

I did a brief overview - about a paragraph or so for each category. I reworked essays for the most part (both essays that were part of my application and ones that were for other schools). Not entirely sure if admissions is the one who decides scholarship allocation, it could be a separate committee or other faculty - regardless I didn't go into laborious detail and figured why reinvent the wheel. I asked the same exact question a couple months ago and had some responses from other posters who also seemed to take the brief overview/paragraph approach if you wanna reference that in this thread!

I retrieved my credit score through MCWconnect but at the end I didnt see an option to send it to the school

Members don't see this ad :)
I retrieved my credit score through MCWconnect but at the end I didnt see an option to send it to the school

You can just download a PDF copy from the free credit report website thats linked on MCWconnect and then you email it as an attachment to the financial aid office.

Hello, I'll be attending the MCW-Milwaukee campus this August for my 1st year and I was just wondering if you think a 30-minute commute to medical school every day is doable/sustainable? My partner and I are thinking of living in the Oconomowoc area, where she would have about an hour drive to work (she works in Madison). Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Hi there! I'm a current M2 at MCW. A 30 minute drive is definitely doable, I have quite a few classmates who do that or longer! Our two years have obviously been influenced by Covid, so we have more things from home than usual. In normal times (all I know since my Fall M1 was normal!) anatomy lab is required and 2x/week for first semester and part of second semester. Then you'd also have a clinical skills class about 1x/week, and then the occasional required class throughout the semester. I'd say it's quite doable, especially if you end up not being a class goer (which most people do end up just watching class from home!). MCW also has free and close by parking. I'd say if anything the most annoying part may be that it'll take 30 minutes to get to the area where most of your classmates live (as most of us do live in Wauwatosa or nearby) so it could make social things a bit more work. Let me know if I can answer any other questions :)

Has anyone received scholarships (need or merit based) yet? Or will we be informed by or on April 30th?
Thanks

Has anyone received scholarships (need or merit based) yet? Or will we be informed by or on April 30th?
Thanks
I personally haven't gotten one, but i know of some people have been awarded some merit aid. They may be working from Wisconsin resident to OOS students based on how some other schools work.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats! Was this in your package when you first got it or did it update recently?
Thank you! It was not in my package when I first received it. I was notified via email, and now my package has been updated to reflect it

Accepted to Green Bay off of the waitlist. I also have an A at Milwaukee, so I have a big decision to make

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else seen WL movement, particularly for MKE?
I assume GB and Wausau would need to have a class confirmed sooner since they finished interviews earlier and they start at the end of June vs August for Mke

I decided to do some research on my own. I am very confident that essentially no one was accepted off the waitlist for the 2018-2019 application cycle. This was confirmed by multiple people on both the 2018-2019 and 2019-2020 year indicating that MCW offered too many As (specifically 3 too many) and that they wouldn't be able to offer any seats off the WL. However, 2019-2020 interviewees were told that such an occurrence was a "fluke" and would not happen again. Admissions said they were taking steps to make sure of that.

For the 2019-2020, I found dozens of SDN users that reported getting the WL without ever reporting an A. However, one user got off the CW campus WL on 4/11/20 and another got off the Milwaukee WL on 6/13/20, which was obviously due to another student deferring/withdrawing. Additionally, admissions sent out an email that said that they offered a "small" number of WL applicants.

In 2017-2018, the first MKE WL acceptance was mentioned on May 9th, which stated that they were accepted "earlier" that week. In 2016-2017, the first MKE WL acceptance was mentioned on May 15th.

Overall, it seems that the WL have seen some movement, but SDN does not show a lot. On April 13, 2021, MCW sent out an email that said, "We anticipate we will select applicants from the waitlist this year to fill our incoming class but will not know with certainty until after April 30." Based on that email and this historical context, I expect that there will be a small number of MKE WL acceptances sometime in early/mid-May.

I also found this tweet from MCW that says that SDN is incomplete and that you should trust them! (This seems to have been tweeted shortly after the 18-19 thread was stating that there was no WL movement.)

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachments/c7dd5e9c-b6b8-4df9-91c2-a271a0db3814-jpeg.263818/

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachments/a63ccc25-b890-4e1e-abba-2fb1f0fc9240-jpeg.307291/

Reactions: 2 users
This is a random question but does anyone know if MCW has a gym that students can freely use? If so, what equipment and stuff does it have? I'd like to know if I can save $ on a gym membership for 4 years.

This is a random question but does anyone know if MCW has a gym that students can freely use? If so, what equipment and stuff does it have? I'd like to know if I can save $ on a gym membership for 4 years.
I just went to check out the area around MCW last weekend. Basically, the answer to your question is "no," although the Wisconsin Athletic Club is across the street from MCW and is very nice and has extensive weights, pool, and lockers/showers, etc. The rate is a very reasonable $70 or so a month. Feel free to DM me if you want more info as I checked out a few gym/trainer options in town.

I just went to check out the area around MCW last weekend. Basically, the answer to your question is "no," although the Wisconsin Athletic Club is across the street from MCW and is very nice and has extensive weights, pool, and lockers/showers, etc. The rate is a very reasonable $70 or so a month. Feel free to DM me if you want more info as I checked out a few gym/trainer options in town.
Huh, I heard they had a gym in the basement? $70 sounds mad expensive when I'm used to having gym access for free throughout all of undergrad lol

I believe it does yes, I think basic cardio, weights etc. Covid restricts it to two people so I can’t imagine it is very big.

Last edited:
Huh, I heard they had a gym in the basement? $70 sounds mad expensive when I'm used to having gym access for free throughout all of undergrad lol
I can't say exactly what MCW itself has to offer but I heard about the Wisconsin Athletic Club (which I visited) and some other options from current students. Let's get big bro--one place or another! #BodyWeightWorksToo : )

So...I suppose it's safe to assume I'm not getting off the Waitlist (Waitlisted early in 2020) so I should just commit to the school I have an A at right?
MCW and I both said/think that there will be WL movement. Why would you not think you're getting off the WL?

Accepted to Green Bay off of the waitlist. I also have an A at Milwaukee, so I have a big decision to make
congrats on getting pulled from the WL! Did they call or email you to let you know?

Did all accepted applicants get the final decision email this morning? I've taken all the steps to commit to MCW and just want to make sure I'm not getting it because they're missing something

Reactions: 3 users
Did all accepted applicants get the final decision email this morning? I've taken all the steps to commit to MCW and just want to make sure I'm not getting it because they're missing something
I got it and I don’t think I’m missing anything on the list.

Yep! I also have completed all of the required steps and got the email, so I'm assuming it's just a general reminder to all accepted. The only thing that applies to us now is to make sure to select Commit to Enroll if you are for sure going here on or after 4/30. AMCAS is down for maintenance though today and all day tomorrow, just as an FYI.

Sorry if this has been asked before but does MCW use NBME exams or are they in house and is the pre clinical curriculum 1.5 months or 2 months? Thank you friends
I heard they are using in-house exams now. Don’t know about the block lengths

Withdrew my A from MKE earlier today. Best of luck to all those accepted & waiting

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
I heard they are using in-house exams now. Don’t know about the block lengths
Yeah I believe it is in-house during the pre-clinical years, but it is still NMBE for clinical. With step 1 going P/F and pre-clinical years P/F too I don't really mind non-shelf exams

sorry. Dumb paranoid question incoming, will delete later

Is it safe to just email your credit report to an email as a PDF file to a school's email address? MCW seems to be the only school that requires it
Yes, it is safe to do so. I would recommend just blurring your SSN though. Emails are not encrypted, so you should blur sensitive information. Everything else on your credit report isn't very sensitive.

Current M2 here! There is a gym in the basement, but it's small and the equipment is old. Think hotel gym size. Some people certainly just use that, but a lot of people do join the WAC across the street. I find it to be very worth the money to pay for a gym I enjoy going to!

Going to be withdrawing my A from Green Bay, hope one of you gets it

Current M2 here! There is a gym in the basement, but it's small and the equipment is old. Think hotel gym size. Some people certainly just use that, but a lot of people do join the WAC across the street. I find it to be very worth the money to pay for a gym I enjoy going to!
Gotcha, thank you!!