2020-2021 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was placed at the second tier wait list here, but placed at the high priority wait list at an MD school. This process sometimes feels like it has to too little to do with rhyme and reason

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I was placed at the second tier wait list here, but placed at the high priority wait list at an MD school. This process sometimes feels like it has to too little to do with rhyme and reason
Love the pro pic, lol

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Was accepted earlier this year and was planning to attend but I've had a late change of heart to attend a school closer to home.. so ill be opening up a spot for one of you soon :)
Anyone know the proper way to go about pulling my name? I can no longer do it from the portal from what I can see. Thanks guys and good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! Was accepted earlier this year and was planning to attend but I've had a late change of heart to attend a school closer to home.. so ill be opening up a spot for one of you soon :)
Anyone know the proper way to go about pulling my name? I can no longer do it from the portal from what I can see. Thanks guys and good luck!
I think you just need to email Lyman/adcom!!

Out of curiosity, which campus were you assigned?

Just withdrew my acceptance here, hoping one of you gets the spot, good luck to you all!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if it matters if you’re out of state or in state for the waitlist?

Current second year here. I was accepted off of the tier 3 waitlist 2 weeks before classes started. If MSUCOM is your only option/top choice I would continue to show interest. I was told usually less than 5 people each cycle get accepted off of that tier.
Current second year here. I was accepted off of the tier 3 waitlist 2 weeks before classes started. If MSUCOM is your only option/top choice I would continue to show interest. I was told usually less than 5 people each cycle get accepted off of that tier.
Hi do you know if LOI help?

Anyone know how many people are in each tier?
Previously, T1 and T2 WL's had 100 people in each tier. With the beginning of the pandemic, I think they did not follow that last year. I'm not sure if they returned to these numbers or not for this cycle. Hopefully, somebody with more insight can answer this more fully.

What are the dates that MD / DO applicants have to commit to one school and drop others?

Just withdrew an IS acceptance for the Detroit campus. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear!

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
I believe April 30 is when MDs have to pick 1.
I don't believe this is relevant to dropping DO A's, though. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one can hold an MD and DO acceptance simultaneously even after May 15th, as traffic rules do not apply between AACOMAS and AMCAS.

I don't believe this is relevant to dropping DO A's, though. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one can hold an MD and DO acceptance simultaneously even after May 15th, as traffic rules do not apply between AACOMAS and AMCAS.
I believe you are correct. At that point, it is just common courtesy to withdraw your app if you plan on going to a different school, whether it be MD or DO.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with the D Swiecz. I may have just misinterpreted the original poster's question. Thought they were just asking about the deadlines, not when an applicant has to choose between a MD and DO school. My bad!

I agree with the D Swiecz. I may have just misinterpreted the original poster's question. Thought they were just asking about the deadlines, not when an applicant has to choose between a MD and DO school. My bad!
I was thinking the same thing as you, but it does make you think whether or not that deadline is the reason for huge WL movement for DO schools on that day. You'd think that, since they are disconnected, the applicants that receive an acceptance to a MD school and intend on going to a MD school would withdraw their application immediately. However, that may not be the case.

Hoping the rest of us (end of Feb, early March) hear back today

Not at all! I just meant to caution against expecting the big DO waitlist movement in time with the MD traffic rules. As @D Swiecz mentioned, if I come off of an MD WL, I'd certainly be quick to withdraw my A here and open up a spot, but I'm not sure whether I'm the rule or the exception.

Reactions: 2 users
It made me sad because I really love this school, but I officially declined my offer today. I truly hope it moves a friendly, amazing, intelligent person off the waitlist to become a phenomenal physician.

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
It made me sad because I really love this school, but I officially declined my offer today. I truly hope it moves a friendly, amazing, intelligent person off the waitlist to become a phenomenal physician.
Good luck! You’ll be a fantastic physician, yourself!!!

• Love
I interviewed 3/30 and no decision yet. I know many from late Feb and early March are still waiting on decisions, too. Hope the coming weeks bring good news to those of us still waiting.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Gonna ask this again since my last post was sort of not seen:

Are Tier 3 waitlist people -only- acknowledged once Tier 1 and 2 people have -all- been considered?

• Care
Welp.....

RIP my chances lololol
Don't give up hope, though. There are things you can do to be proactive and continue to show interest in the school, and that will help you if (and hopefully when) MSUCOM does start considering members on the T3 WL!

• Care
Don't give up hope, though. There are things you can do to be proactive and continue to show interest in the school, and that will help you if (and hopefully when) MSUCOM does start considering members on the T3 WL!

I appreciate the optimism, and have done jus that, but isn't every tier like 100 people?
Wouldn't that mean 200+ people would have turn down their admissions offer?

• Care
I appreciate the optimism, and have done jus that, but isn't every tier like 100 people?
Wouldn't that mean 200+ people would have turn down their admissions offer?
Essentially, yes, but being optimistic is absolutely reasonable and warranted at this time. Historically, MSUCOM does go into the T3 WL (some years more than others), except for last year. However, I think that it's safe to say that this year will follow the history of MSUCOM admissions since they were able to prepare for the cycle being conducted in a pandemic, whereas they were forced to figure out how to modify everything on the spot last year.

Hey guys, heard back yesterday. Waitlist Tier 2. Although it is a bit discouraging, I still have some hope.
Good luck to all of you!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone familiar with the Redwood Apartments in Holt, MI? SO and I were just approved for a lease there.

Is anyone familiar with the Redwood Apartments in Holt, MI? SO and I were just approved for a lease there.
Can't say anything about them in Holt, but they have a few complexes in Macomb/Shelby Twp., and I know that they are pretty great!

• Love
Essentially, yes, but being optimistic is absolutely reasonable and warranted at this time. Historically, MSUCOM does go into the T3 WL (some years more than others), except for last year. However, I think that it's safe to say that this year will follow the history of MSUCOM admissions since they were able to prepare for the cycle being conducted in a pandemic, whereas they were forced to figure out how to modify everything on the spot last year.

Here's to hoping, I am just afraid since this year so fewer folks got multiple admissions offers that we won't get to T3.

I guess there are still folks in T1 and T2 who might decide to go somewhere else as well, would love for it to all work out.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Here's to hoping, I am just afraid since this year so fewer folks got multiple admissions offers that we won't get to T3.

I guess there are still folks in T1 and T2 who might decide to go somewhere else as well, would love for it to all work out.
Yeah, I might be preaching to the choir here, but I'm guessing (hoping) that this cycle is a little more normal than last year's (for obvious reasons). In terms of the amount of offers, it doesn't seem like more people are only getting single offers over previous years. Although some schools seem to have relaxed their requirements based on what they have stated officially, they really have not, in reality and in practice.

I hope this helps to calm some nerves; it seems that MSUCOM has taken steps to make this cycle be as normal as possible for them. They've had some time to prepare for this cycle, and they've been able to make some modifications that take this cycle back to normal (like using CASPer in place of the MMI). From what I understand, they haven't had to make any intense changes mid-cycle, unlike MSUCHM.