2020-2021 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS applicant who interviewed 3/5, I was just placed on the T1 waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
T3 waitlist! Interviewed 3/5. Waiting to hear back from 2 other schools so hopefully an A will come from them:)

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone PM me if they had someone who was not faculty and not a DO at this school interview them? This happened with me...

Can someone PM me if they had someone who was not faculty and not a DO at this school interview them? This happened with me...
I was interviewed by an alum, but they're not on faculty at MSUCOM. Is that what you mean?

I was interviewed by an alum, but they're not on faculty at MSUCOM. Is that what you mean?
I wasn't interviewed by faculty, an alum, or a DO even...someone who went to Michigan State but was not involved with MSU-COM. I thought it was a little weird. I felt like I couldn't ask any questions about the school. Wasn't sure if this hurt my chances or not...

Man i hope the acceptance pattern off WL is the same as previous years (besides last year ofc)

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Man i hope the acceptance pattern off WL is the same as previous years (besides last year ofc)
I hope I don’t eat my words, but I think it will be.

Edit: I found the class Facebook page for the incoming class. (I wish they had a tracker like WSU but whatever) At this point, it’s at 244 people (assume some to be staff). 8 people joined last week, and those were acceptances spanning two weeks. So far, we’re only missing ~2 weeks more of acceptances, and people still have to withdraw their app. Hopefully this creates some hope!

I hope I don’t eat my words, but I think it will be.

Edit: I found the class Facebook page for the incoming class. (I wish they had a tracker like WSU but whatever) At this point, it’s at 244 people (assume some to be staff). 8 people joined last week, and those were acceptances spanning two weeks. So far, we’re only missing ~2 weeks more of acceptances, and people still have to withdraw their app. Hopefully this creates some hope!
That sounds so hopeful! I’m crossing my fingers. I’ve looked at previous pages and it seems like the number of group members goes upwards to 500ish at the end

Reactions: 1 user
How hopeful should T2’s be??? I’m ~panicking~
I wish I could give a good answer. My personal belief is that the cycle will continue like it historically has, so people on the T2 WL have a solid chance. I wish we had more insight on what is going to happen this year :(

Question. I recently accepted a spot at MSU at the Macomb Campus but sent an email today to withdraw from my accepted seat. I am withdrawing as I recently got accepted to KCU with scholarship opportunities. Is that allowed for me to withdraw this seat even with the paid deposit? I would assume that it is but I wanted to be certain haha

Question. I recently accepted a spot at MSU at the Macomb Campus but sent an email today to withdraw from my accepted seat. I am withdrawing as I recently got accepted to KCU with scholarship opportunities. Is that allowed for me to withdraw this seat even with the paid deposit? I would assume that it is but I wanted to be certain haha
I would assume that's okay! Otherwise, everyone on the waitlist and I would have a real bone to pick...

Yes! You can withdraw after paying the deposit.

I would assume that's okay! Otherwise, everyone on the waitlist and I would have a real bone to pick...
Yes! You can withdraw after paying the deposit.
Sounds good! Assuming they allow me to withdraw tomorrow, I grant all of you wonderful people a chance to take my seat at Macomb!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Can I ask what made you choose between MSU and Kansas CIty? Was it mainly the scholarship or other factors?

T3 waitlist. IS. Interviewed 3/9. Sent LOI 24 hours before getting the news

• Care
Do you think they look at those letters immediately or they collectively look at them at a later point? Idk if you’ve heard anything about that
I’m not sure Tbh. I think they do because they usually release decisions the day of or after the committee meets and when they review applicants they look at everything including updates.

I’m not sure Tbh. I think they do because they usually release decisions the day of or after the committee meets and when they review applicants they look at everything including updates.
Kinda wish I sent my LOI after the decision🙃... if it even made a difference LOL

Kinda wish I sent my LOI after the decision🙃... if it even made a difference LOL
I know that the email says to send in updates and whatnot once you’re on the waitlist, but I don’t see how that would help if it’s already tiered??

Hi all, sorry to ask this while folks are discussing waitlist movement, but have any accepted students received merit scholarship info?

Is it just me or does it seem like they are only adding people to the waitlist at this point?

Is it just me or does it seem like they are only adding people to the waitlist at this point?
They're still accepting people. It's just that they only accept about 5-8 people (I believe) the interviewed in a 2/3 week period of time. I believe that the amount of WL offers for each tier is essentially the same amount as the amount of acceptances, so it would naturally seem like they're WL'ing and rejecting way more.

They're still accepting people. It's just that they only accept about 5-8 people (I believe) the interviewed in a 2/3 week period of time. I believe that the amount of WL offers for each tier is essentially the same amount as the amount of acceptances, so it would naturally seem like they're WL'ing and rejecting way more.
Do you actually think the amount of people being waitlisted is the same? I know some schools have expanded their WL but not sure about MSUcom.

This might sound dumb but could they be waitlisting more students to make sure they don’t offer more acceptances than class spots

Do you actually think the amount of people being waitlisted is the same? I know some schools have expanded their WL but not sure about MSUcom.
It wouldn't make sense, in my opinion, since MSUCOM's T3 WL is uncapped (I think). The overall size of the WL could be expanded, but I don't think that MSUCOM would expand the size of each tier since it would just defeat the purpose of the tier system. I hope this makes sense.

This might sound dumb but could they be waitlisting more students to make sure they don’t offer more acceptances than class spots
That's a totally valid question. As far as I know, MSUCOM did not modify any of their criteria to make it easier to be accepted. MSUCOM knows that they need to accept X amount of people to initially fill the class (in the negligible chance that nobody retracts their application). When they get toward the end of the cycle, they can start accepting off the WL's since they have a very good idea of where they stand and where they'll be in the next few weeks. The WL was always meant as a way to tell people "you're good enough to get in, but there was somebody that was more qualified than you," so in order to 1. ensure that they only accept the X amount of students in the cycle and 2. ensure that the class is full come matriculation, they put students on the WL. I don't think that they would have expanded their WL this year since they've always offered more WL offers than possible A's. If they did, I don't think that they would change the size of tiers 1 & 2 since that would sort of defeat the purpose of having those tiers, especially since they just run down the WL when openings occur.

So tired of this waiting game!! It’s just so stressful knowing school starts soon and they still haven’t accepted anyone off of the waitlist

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So tired of this waiting game!! It’s jusy so stressful knowing school starts soon and they still haven’t accepted anyone off of the waitlist
Dude, I know!! Even though I'm not expecting any movement for another week or two, this is so stressful and I'm getting so antsy.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Are we still going thru decisions on interviews or do u think we’ll see waitlist movement next week?

Are we still going thru decisions on interviews or do u think we’ll see waitlist movement next week?
I’m sure we’ll see some movement over the next few weeks but majority of the WL movement will happen in Mid May IMO. Then again I’m T3 WL so I don’t have high expectations rn😅

• Care
Every year is different and hard to predict. In 2018-19 cycle, some tier 2 reported getting off the waitlist in march. This year we are already in mid-April without any movement at all.

I believe they still have to send decisions for some March interviews. I’m gonna assume WL movement will happen first two weeks of May. That’s if it even happens at all😅
I agree. They still have the last half of March to send decisions to. We might start seeing WL movement toward the tail end of that, so the very earliest that I would guess is the last week of April.

I agree. They still have the last half of March to send decisions to. We might start seeing WL movement toward the tail end of that, so the very earliest that I would guess is the last week of April.
Man god bless all of us getting off WL and leaving within a month lmao this med school cycle is awful

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Man god bless all of us getting off WL and leaving within a month lmao this med school cycle is awful
I’m lucky enough to live only 10 minutes away from the macomb campus. My heart goes out to all of us that are going to have to figure out how to secure a loan, get all settled into the MSU atmosphere, AND find a place to live in a month.

• Care
I’m lucky enough to live only 10 minutes away from the macomb campus. My heart goes out to all of us that are going to have to figure out how to secure a loan, get all settled into the MSU atmosphere, AND find a place to live in a month.
I’m IS and less than an hour away but I’m kinda curious how far out should students start looking for apartments?