2020-2021 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted to the MSTP like a month ago and I haven't heard about the FB group (and I'm guessing other MD/PhD applicants haven't either)... so like the 10-20 of us aren't included either I guess lol :(
I think someone from admissions saw this and added all of us this morning lol thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you know if all initial MSTP acceptances have been given out? For context, I interviewed but haven't heard back at all! As you can tell by my username I am.....stressed
I think someone from admissions saw this and added all of us this morning lol thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol same here. Interviewed in December, they said we'd hear by mid-Jan whenever that is.
During December's MSTP interview, Dr. Rivera said that they'd meet in a few weeks after our last interviews to send out ~40 acceptances for 14 spots.

Given how many people have posted acceptances and a few acceptances I know personally, I'm not optimistic that there will be more primary acceptances. Perhaps there will be some that are waitlisted, especially given this year's cycle...but I would hold NYU loosely.

Gosh— is anyone else with a post-II hold just PRAYING to be put out of their misery already??? Like at this point I would looooove a rejection just to KNOW. This waiting is torturous. 😂😭

Reactions: 5 users
Gosh— is anyone else with a post-II hold just PRAYING to be put out of their misery already??? Like at this point I would looooove a rejection just to KNOW. This waiting is torturous. 😂😭
this!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Wow that email almost gave me a heart attack. Guess we'll have to wait until the end of January to be put out of our misery...

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I thought it was my rejection. Now I get to wait longer for it lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NYU why you do this to us 🥵

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
@bildb111 ,

I’m hoping I’m wrong but I just kinda doubt it. Dr. Rivera certainly knew we were MSTP, we were the last wave of interviews, and a ton of people received acceptances.
Could anyone that received an acceptance let us know when you interviewed? Any accepted applicants interview during Nov 30 and Dec 2?

@bildb111 ,

I’m hoping I’m wrong but I just kinda doubt it. Dr. Rivera certainly knew we were MSTP, we were the last wave of interviews, and a ton of people received acceptances.
Could anyone that received an acceptance let us know when you interviewed? Any accepted applicants interview during Nov 30 and Dec 2

Not optimistic, but I do vaguely recall him saying that they were saving spots for those of us who interviewed on the last date. And said we would hear back in Jan. Just wish the info for MSTP was more concrete.

I’m literally so confused. I have interviewed mid November; people from November and before already got acceptances, and the directors said that they’re saving spots for the last interview day people. Why am I not placed on waitlist then or rejected?... like when they were talking during the interview about the timeline it seemed like it would be one of the more straightforward schools in terms of the process, but it is so confusing.

To be honest, I don't recall Dean Rivera saying that they'd hold spots for the last interview. The way I interpreted things, it felt like the whole committee would meet after our interview and then send 40ish acceptances for 14 spots a few weeks after our interview, which did seem to happen.

I was surprised they'd send out 40 right away, but programs do happen to do that. In regards to program size, I don't think that 14 is that crazy of a number. Sure, some of the current classes only have 10, but a handful have 11-13. And given NYU's plans to prosper and grow, it'd make sense they'd want to make their MSTP class larger.

Wait ok this may be me being max neurotic but it seems like there may be more MSTP A’s....

First off just listing assumptions I'm basing my thoughts on/things that we know:

1. Let’s say there are 40 spots- it looks like the adcom met and sent out a wave of A's on 12/18 for people who interviewed in dates ranging from early October to early November (at least that's what's reported on the acceptance page, which ofc has a lot of underreporting).

2. I think the last MSTP interview was 12/13 and 12/15 (although someone please correct me if I'm wrong)- therefore technically giving the adcoms enough time to discuss this at the 12/18 meeting (assuming that they met and sent out acceptances that day- that might not even be true!)

3. @definitely_chondria mentioned that the MSTP acceptances weren't added to the facebook group and then the day the FB group jumped from 83 to 103 was when @definitely_chondria said the MSTPs were added. Let's assume all 20 of these people were MSTP A's, and think that 5-10 accepted people don't use Facebook.

Putting all of this together, let's say there are 10 spots left and people from the 11/30 and 12/2 date and the very last MSTP date haven't heard back yet at all (a BIG assumption that I realize may not be right but also imo isn't ridiculous to think). I think that the MSTP adcom met and may have discussed apps in order of interview day and simply didn't get to the last 2 MSTP interview days either 1) because they were tired after going through so many apps or 2) they had scheduled a second review day and these 2 dates were to be reviewed then. Assuming that people from that last 2 dates haven't heard back yet, I just find it odd that an MSTP would fill up their entire class excluding those later dates. I've heard that some MD programs soft "interview for the waitlist" type of thing, but I think that MSTPs are a lot pickier because they want to make sure they're getting people who will stick with it, be both great physicians and researchers, AND be a good fit for the school.

I then wonder if they're sending out acceptances proportionally to the number of interview days- meaning that they've reviewed 3/4 of the interview days, so 3/4 of the acceptances have been sent out. (again just my thoughts, could be wrong)

As for the people who interviewed on dates that already have reported acceptances, I think that @bildb111 's theory seems reasonable

In any case, idk- I'm just a random stranger on the internet who really should be writing update letters so what do I know? I totally acknowledge that many of my points take some assumptions that may or may not be true (which I tried my best to point out), but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts :)

This process is rough and stressful and we should all be proud of ourselves- I know it sounds corny, but it's true. I think that this career path doesn't give many opportunities for external validation in general, so it's extra important to be kind to ourselves
To be honest, I didn't even know that there was another date after mine (Nov 30th and Dec 2nd)...https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/embed?src=[email protected]
On the calendar it looks like there's another the week after, Dec 7 and 9. Not quite sure why I assumed I was part of the last date...

Regardless, if we could figure out the interview dates of those accepted, it could really clarify things.

ACCEPTED WITH FULL COA SCHOLARSHIP...I am truly and utterly speechless I AM IN TEARS

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
Accepted with full CoA scholarship...I am truly and utterly speechless
Dude congratulations!! You are having the WILDEST and most successful cycle of like all time. Really happy for you. 😊🤙

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I’m literally so confused. I have interviewed mid November; people from November and before already got acceptances, and the directors said that they’re saving spots for the last interview day people. Why am I not placed on waitlist then or rejected?... like when they were talking during the interview about the timeline it seemed like it would be one of the more straightforward schools in terms of the process, but it is so confusing.
+1 to your sentiments, if it makes you feel any better I interviewed literally on the first days in September and have yet to hear anything either way. Feelsbadman

Do they send emails or phone calls only?

Telling us we have until the end of the month to do the app for the 3 year program / final decisions by end of month.
From my understanding, there aren't different qualifications for the three year program that would make getting an acceptance easier or harder. Don't sweat the division of deciding if you want three year program. NYU actually gives students ongoing opportunity to apply.

ACCEPTED WITH FULL COA SCHOLARSHIP...I am truly and utterly speechless I AM IN TEARS

You went from hold to full COA scholarship? Congratulations!! That’s wild! Wtf were they thinking when they put you on hold?!

To be honest, I didn't even know that there was another date after mine (Nov 30th and Dec 2nd)...https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/embed?src=[email protected]
On the calendar it looks like there's another the week after, Dec 7 and 9. Not quite sure why I assumed I was part of the last date...

Regardless, if we could figure out the interview dates of those accepted, it could really clarify things.
I interviewed 11/30 and 12/2 for MSTP and I'm pretty sure that's the last date. I have also heard nothing but I don't think that means we should count ourselves out...from what I remember they said we wouldn't make it into the first wave of acceptances and should probably expect to hear from them in January. I also know a current student who received an A (not off the wait list) after interviewing on the last date. Hoping we get some news soon!!!

I interviewed 11/30 and 12/2 for MSTP and I'm pretty sure that's the last date. I have also heard nothing but I don't think that means we should count ourselves out...from what I remember they said we wouldn't make it into the first wave of acceptances and should probably expect to hear from them in January. I also know a current student who received an A (not off the wait list) after interviewing on the last date. Hoping we get some news soon!!!
It also seems as though there about 5 or 6 of us from that (potentially) last December II date. That's a pretty good sample size given that about 16 people were interviewed, and I feel like odds are that at least one of us would have heard back something. So maybe they are just waiting a bit longer. I also remember them saying mid-Jan, but that seems like now so idk.

Right? I'm so confused if we weren't the last date. @neuro1020 , were you also Nov 30th and Dec 2nd?

lol seeing that the FB group already has 138 members, I assume we are just waiting for WL/Rs arriving at the end of this month?

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
lol seeing that the FB group already has 138 members, I assume we are just waiting for WL/Rs arriving at the end of this month?
This includes MSTPs right?
How many MD and MSTPs in total do they usually accept, if anyone knows?

This includes MSTPs right?
How many MD and MSTPs in total do they usually accept, if anyone knows?
Okay it looks like they send out about 220? md acceptances and about 40? MSTPs, so like 260 in total?..
So 138 isn’t bad? Haha
Trying to keep up some hope here:)

Okay it looks like they send out about 220? md acceptances and about 40? MSTPs, so like 260 in total?..
So 138 isn’t bad? Haha
Trying to keep up some hope here:)
On my interview notes I wrote down they accept 110, then later accept 156 (not too sure I just wrote down 110---->156 later). WL of 250 and about 50 people get in from WL. I think this was based on last years numbers.

Yeah, I think so, too :/
On my interview notes I wrote down they accept 110, then later accept 156 (not too sure I just wrote down 110---->156 later). WL of 250 and about 50 people get in from WL. I think this was based on last years numbers.
Yeah, I wrote down similar notes like I have the exact same numbers written down and, if my memory serves me correctly, Dean Rivera meant that by mid-January (but now late-January because they are running behind), they would have accepted 100-110 applicants and then they would waitlist 200 and reject everyone else at that time. And then ultimately from the waitlist they would accept another ~50 applicants (usually in May) for a grand total accepted students number of ~156

This must be the credible information, coming from Dean Rivera. I got 220 online.. sigh

Well, then the current accepted number being 138 doesn't make much sense. Unless my understanding of what Dean Rivera said was correct, in that ~40 acceptances for the ~14 MSTP spots were sent out at the end of December. If there's ~100 MD acceptances+40 MSTP acceptances, then I'd say 138 sounds about right.

True, I am an MD applicant so maybe he was only giving us MD applicant numbers on my interview day!!

@definitely_chondria , do you mind sharing if you know how many MSTPs are in the FB group?

Has there been any new information given to accepted MSTPs? Are your portals updated?
I have no idea how many MSTPs are in the group since it's just one group for all admitted students. I can recognize ~10 people from interviews, but I'm sure there are many more who I don't know. :/

Our portals have been updated and we've received copies of the acceptance letters via mail.

Well, then the current accepted number being 138 doesn't make much sense. Unless my understanding of what Dean Rivera said was correct, in that ~40 acceptances for the ~14 MSTP spots were sent out at the end of December. If there's ~100 MD acceptances+40 MSTP acceptances, then I'd say 138 sounds about right.
Clarifying this.... Their MSTP yield is much lower than standard MD-non-MSTP. Based on last year's numbers, I think standard MD probably had total 125ish..

Clarifying this.... Their MSTP yield is much lower than standard MD-non-MSTP. Based on last year's numbers, I think standard MD probably had total 125ish..
Yield of acceptance offer to matriculation?

I think that 40 offers for 14 spots sounds about right. I've interviewed at other MSTP programs and they've shared similar numbers.

Is it safe to say we're just waiting for WLs and Rs this week for those of us who haven't heard back yet?

Manifesting a WL right now (the saddest manifest ive done this cycle)

• Care
Reactions: 10 users