2020-2021 NYU-Long Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats!!!! You must be so excited that’s amazing!!!! Did you send letter of interest or letter of intent?
I sent a letter of intent before i got my first decision (alternate list) so i'm definitely committing!

Members don't see this ad.

Just my two cents but I think the school is in a peculiar position where they have to fill exactly 24 spots due to funding and this is most likely why no rejections have been sent out. Given the fact they have yet to graduate a class and therefore do not know how their students will fare with applying to outside residency programs (given only 3 years to build their application and Step 1 soon becoming P/F) they expect a decent amount of those with first-round acceptances to decline their offer because they are likely extremely qualified candidates who were accepted to other more established programs w/ more flexibility and potential opportunities. My guess is the administration is protecting itself from both offering too many acceptances or in an unlikely but not unimaginable scenario they have far more people decline their offers than anticipated leading to not enough applicants left (if they were to send rejections out prematurely). I am aware that a good amount of people from their recent class came off the waitlist so good luck to everyone and I would not lose hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody who reached out to the admissions office post-interview because they haven’t heard any decision received any response from admissions? I understand they’re probably unsure how many more people they’ll need to wait list, but just wondering if we have any timeline for when we can expect to hear more. My hope is fading away :/

73DB3D61-EC30-4B91-9658-E57B72BD4F79.png

were you waitlisted or put on an alternate list
i think they are the same thing. it formally said "alternate list" in my original decision letter. but im honestly pretty sure on the phone call the dean said "we were so happy to pull you from the waitlist as soon as we found a spot" so they are def the same lol.

Reactions: 1 user
i think they are the same thing. it formally said "alternate list" in my original decision letter. but im honestly pretty sure on the phone call the dean said "we were so happy to pull you from the waitlist as soon as we found a spot" so they are def the same lol.
Did you just email them your LOI or did you send it as an attachment?

Post-II R. Was extremely fortunate enough to get a stellar offer at another program though. Best of luck to everybody!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many waitlist candidates they have at one time? I am thinking that this latest round of acceptances is from their previous waitlist candidates, and then depending on those decisions, they will pull from this round of waitlist in the next decision batch.

for people who have gotten in off the waitlist is it just a call or do they email as well? and did your portal change?

WL yd for Peds. After the first A’s came out, i automatically chalked this school to an R tbh cuz of the small class size. surprised they even gave out WL or R’s

Does anyone know how many waitlist candidates they have at one time? I am thinking that this latest round of acceptances is from their previous waitlist candidates, and then depending on those decisions, they will pull from this round of waitlist in the next decision batch.
I was in the first WL round but wasn't pulled off...so selfishly I'm hoping that isn't completely the case haha

• Haha
Just my two cents but I think the school is in a peculiar position where they have to fill exactly 24 spots due to funding and this is most likely why no rejections have been sent out. Given the fact they have yet to graduate a class and therefore do not know how their students will fare with applying to outside residency programs (given only 3 years to build their application and Step 1 soon becoming P/F) they expect a decent amount of those with first-round acceptances to decline their offer because they are likely extremely qualified candidates who were accepted to other more established programs w/ more flexibility and potential opportunities. My guess is the administration is protecting itself from both offering too many acceptances or in an unlikely but not unimaginable scenario they have far more people decline their offers than anticipated leading to not enough applicants left (if they were to send rejections out prematurely). I am aware that a good amount of people from their recent class came off the waitlist so good luck to everyone and I would not lose hope!
On one hand yes, on the other hand... They interviewed 500 people for 24 seats. They could have straight up rejected half of us and still had enough applicants to fill 10+ classes (ignoring needing a certain amount of people per specialty). Even if they just cut off the bottom 100 people!

They are giving me little heart attacks with all of these update emails. Any other peds waitlist homies out there?

I didn't get any email, but I'm on the IM waitlist. What did it say?

I didn't get any email, but I'm on the IM waitlist. What did it say?
It basically just asked if we would like to remain on the waitlist and asked us to respond confirming if we would

I already confirmed last week I wanted to stay on the waitlist thru the portal, maybe that's why I didn't get one? Hopefully it doesn't mean anything lol

Reactions: 1 users
Is anybody who received the update part of the group who was added to the waitlist this past Friday?

me neither
Okay makes sense! Maybe they just sent the email only to people who have been on the waitlist for a few weeks to confirm interest.

Okay makes sense! Maybe they just sent the email only to people who have been on the waitlist for a few weeks to confirm interest.
I was in the first round of WL (OBGYN) and haven't gotten an email confirming interest. Unless they're making cuts to their WL I hope there are more emails to come.

I was in the first round of WL (OBGYN) and haven't gotten an email confirming interest. Unless they're making cuts to their WL I hope there are more emails to come.
I guess there’s really no way of us knowing what’s going on behind the scenes - remaining hopeful for all of you!

I know this is a reach and looking far ahead but can anybody speak on fellowships after this residency?

I.E. if I want to pursue a surgical fellowship in the future, will selecting this residency affect my chances at all (compared to a "traditional" school)?

I know this is a reach and looking far ahead but can anybody speak on fellowships after this residency?

I.E. if I want to pursue a surgical fellowship in the future, will selecting this residency affect my chances at all (compared to a "traditional" school)?
I’m not sure. They haven’t had their first graduating class yet. But I think the purpose of the program is to motivate students to go into primary care

Last edited:
did everyone who received update just sent their response in reply to the email? Did you get any confirmation?

for people who have gotten in off the waitlist is it just a call or do they email as well? and did your portal change?
Yes, can anyone speak to whether it is just a call or a call + email/portal update? Thanks!! :)