2020-2021 NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got off a zoom with Dr. Rivera who confirmed he will be making the last acceptance calls tonight!
✨manifesting✨An A✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨✨don’t mind me

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming calls have been made already given the time in EST?

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still no email from the MSTP director at all...?!?!?

Can they please just hit me with that R email so I can get out of my bed

Reactions: 3 users
Wow didn't receive any email... expecting the worst

I got waitlisted and honestly I am THRILLED about it. Was fully expecting the rejection!

Also WL. I remember someone quoting some numbers as to how many WLs Dr. Rivera said they give out, and how much movement there is..anyone remember?

Members don't see this ad :)
WL as well. They say the waist list is significantly smaller than in past years, does that mean we can expect more movement..?

WL also... might be that WL was sent first and then Rs is my guess?

Got the Post-II R which hurts... But I just got an II 20 minutes ago so that helps I guess?

Just got the post-II R.

Alexa, remove "Empire State of Mind" by Jay-Z from all of my playlists.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
I just got something that rhymes with shmaitlisted

• Hmm
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
Post-II R ;( Can't say I didn't expect this LOL but anyways, congrats to everyone who got the A and good luck to everyone who got the WL!!!

Also WL. I remember someone quoting some numbers as to how many WLs Dr. Rivera said they give out, and how much movement there is..anyone remember?
If I recall from last year, I believe there was 20-30 of the class filled from the waitlist. However, this number also depends on how many Acceptances were given this year versus last year. You'll need to verify from last year's thread, but I think they gave out about 100-110 A's first pass.

If I recall from last year, I believe there was 20-30 of the class filled from the waitlist. However, this number also depends on how many Acceptances were given this year versus last year. You'll need to verify from last year's thread, but I think they gave out about 100-110 A's first pass.
During the interview I thought I remember Dean Rivera saying that their waitlist is typically about 250 and about 50 come off of it. If anyone else can corroborate that lemme know. Its been a minute since my interview its possible I got that wrong. I don't know how much stock to put into the whole "our waitlist is significantly smaller this year" thing cuz if they accepted more people then it may have no affect at all on the odds of getting off of it.

During the interview I thought I remember Dean Rivera saying that their waitlist is typically about 250 and about 50 come off of it. If anyone else can corroborate that lemme know. Its been a minute since my interview its possible I got that wrong. I don't know how much stock to put into the whole "our waitlist is significantly smaller this year" thing cuz if they accepted more people then it may have no affect at all on the odds of getting off of it.
Asked my Kid and they thought they remembered that their class is about 20 off WL. Again, feel free to read last year’s thread, it much better tracked these numbers.

Just got the acceptance email for the MSTP!

Did you both guys get it at the same time? Or are they going out one by one?..😬

Accepted MSTP- interview dates 9/21 and 9/23.

Edit: Email received at 10:52 AM Pacific. I'm sitting in disbelief right now. Any way to cross-reference that this wasn't a mistake??

Last edited:
Does anybody know if in the past years there have been two main acceptance waves for MSTP here?

From my interviews at many schools, it sounded like schools in general were more inclined to send in smaller, multiple waves even if they did not before, since they had no emperical data on what the yield rate would be like with covid and increased applications and kids applying to more places than usual. To avoid things like over enrollment.
please explain. As of today, they still have Very Little idea of yield rate. PTE is when they get a real idea.

That is my point. They dont know. Before, they knew approximately, so they could give out more As based on that expectation. Now, they have little idea, so some schools I heard were giving out a smaller wave, waiting for response, then sending out a little more, then waiting for response. Obviously, this is what they do normally, but I mean is smaller chunks, therefore more waves of smaller number of acceptances.
No, you are trying to justify multiple small waves, however the multiple small waves will all have PTE marked by Acceptee's with almost zero attrition. My point is that if it is before PTE, it really doesn't matter whether it's one big wave or multiple small waves, the total As would be the same.

Post-I MSTP R this morning (interviewed early November). Nice to have some closure. Good luck folks ✌️

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Just got waitlisted for the MSTP. Interviewed back in October, so definitely nice to finally hear something. Good luck, y'all!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users