2021-2022 Einstein

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For people who got the regular waitlist email, does Einstein show up on AMCAS?
I had to call and ask for them to add me. I’m guessing that’s a bad sign for us :/

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any current students here that could speak on the exam schedule for M1/M2? Specifically how frequent the exams are and on what day of the week they fall on. Thanks!
Bumping this :)

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a precedent of being admitted before the 4/30 plan to enroll deadline for those that got the 4/15 rolling admissions email?
prior cycles dont back that up. not sure if youre referring to the RA follow up email, or the original RA email, but either way prior sdn data suggests people will hear in may.

did everyone who received the april 15th email and sent an email to Dean Kerrigan get a response? I sent it on the 16th but I didn't receive anything back and idk if i should send another email?

Does anyone know what the total COA is? Online I’m just seeing cost without housing/food/etc.

Are there any current students here that could speak on the exam schedule for M1/M2? Specifically how frequent the exams are and on what day of the week they fall on. Thanks!
We usually have 1 or 2 exams plus a final for each subject...and they're usually on Fridays though sometimes they'll be open for a few days and other times they're only open for a few hours. And as for how often they are, just depending on how the classes overlap...I would say it ends up being every 2 or 3 weeks ish

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know what the total COA is? Online I’m just seeing cost without housing/food/etc.
I have written down that the COA is $92,000 (includes health insurance, cost of living, and $60,000 tuition). I can't quite remember where I got that number, but I wouldn't have written it down if it didn't seem like a reputable source.

The MSAR gives a similar COA at just under $90,000 (including health insurance, cost of living, and $60,000 tuition). Last year's MSAR listed COA at $88,000 and tuition at $58,000, so seems like the estimated cost of living, etc. remained stable at approx 30K.

TL,DR: 90-92K

did everyone who received the april 15th email and sent an email to Dean Kerrigan get a response? I sent it on the 16th but I didn't receive anything back and idk if i should send another email?
I have not received a response. I emailed on the 15th. Did you email her to follow up?

We usually have 1 or 2 exams plus a final for each subject...and they're usually on Fridays though sometimes they'll be open for a few days and other times they're only open for a few hours. And as for how often they are, just depending on how the classes overlap...I would say it ends up being every 2 or 3 weeks ish
Thank you for this! Do you know if the exams are in-house or NMBE?

Members don't see this ad :)
why is nmbe preferred? just bc its easier to study more standardized material?
Yeah that's my understanding. I remember a couple people mentioning this to me when I applied, but I honestly didn't really care about it until recently when I started seeing the "compare me" and "things to consider" threads on here and Reddit. Seems like the consensus from current students is the most important thing to consider is P/F, and the second is NBME vs in-house.

As you said, all of the popular study material/apps/external resources are NBME. My guess is it depends a bit on the school and how close their in-house exams are to NBME, but a lot of people have commented (unsure if any of them go to Einstein, of course) how frustrating it is to have to waste so much time study the lecture slides instead of using the standardized material you'll be using for step. Those who go to NBME exam schools say they just watch lectures on 1.5x speed and study Boards & Beyond, etc.

**edit: NBME not NMBE, i always do that!

Yeah that's my understanding. I remember a couple people mentioning this to me when I applied, but I honestly didn't really care about it until recently when I started seeing the "compare me" and "things to consider" threads on here and Reddit. Seems like the consensus from current students is the most important thing to consider is P/F, and the second is NBME vs in-house.

As you said, all of the popular study material/apps/external resources are NBNE. My guess is it depends a bit on the school and how close their in-house exams are to NBME, but a lot of people have commented (unsure if any of them go to Einstein, of course) how frustrating it is to have to waste so much time study the lecture slides instead of using the standardized material you'll be using for step. Those who go to NBME exam schools say they just watch lectures on 1.5x speed and study Boards & Beyond, etc.

that sucks. then how the hell does everyone say that students are "genuinely happy" at einstein LMAO

Edit: I saw your comment on Downstate's forum. Something tells me you and I are in similar positions.

that sucks. then how the hell does everyone say that students are "genuinely happy" at einstein LMAO

Edit: I saw your comment on Downstate's forum. Something tells me you and I are in similar positions.
Haha I hope to see you at one of those, friend!!

So it seems like people say if you can go to an NBME school, do it, and most people prefer those exams over in-house. However, I did see comments from people who didn't really care either way, and those who said there are pros and cons to both. Also, one benefit of NBME is that you're studying for Step throughout pre-clinical years, but now that Step is P/F, it's not as much of a concern. Most of threads are anonymous, but I assume it's very school specific and some schools write way better in-house exams than others (I have no idea how Einstein's are).

As a non-trad who's going to have a hard enough time getting through med school, I'm just trying to find the path of least resistance lol

As you said, all of the popular study material/apps/external resources are NBME. My guess is it depends a bit on the school and how close their in-house exams are to NBME, but a lot of people have commented (unsure if any of them go to Einstein, of course) how frustrating it is to have to waste so much time study the lecture slides instead of using the standardized material you'll be using for step. Those who go to NBME exam schools say they just watch lectures on 1.5x speed and study Boards & Beyond, etc.

To be honest, watching lectures at 1.5x and reviewing with B&B is exactly what many of the students here do. That's what I'm doing right now to study for a midterm this week. The in house exams here still have to make sure they're covering what we should be learning for Step 1 so it's not like the material is widely different, it just might be presented differently or go into more detail. B&B gives great structure and good straightforward explanations of all the topics and concepts, and then the school lectures provide more context and details to fill in. I can only speak for Einstein but I would say that our exams are generally very reasonable and not difficult to study for if you give yourself enough time. Almost all the professors here provide syllabi for the lectures highlighting important topics, key words, drugs, and diseases, as well as practice questions, so it's very easy to formulate a study plan since they tell you exactly what you are expected to know. Since it's all P/F, you can prioritize how much time you want to spend studying with whatever materials you want and not stress about knowing every detail. I know students here who straight up don't watch school lectures and only study B&B and use the practice questions given to gauge their knowledge for exams. I personally would not let NBME vs in-house be a deciding factor in your school decision, I don't think it'll make much of a difference in the long run because you still have to put the work in either way.

Reactions: 6 users
How do you get your financial aid package? Is the only thing you have to fill out FAFSA or are there other forms to fill out

To be honest, watching lectures at 1.5x and reviewing with B&B is exactly what many of the students here do. That's what I'm doing right now to study for a midterm this week. The in house exams here still have to make sure they're covering what we should be learning for Step 1 so it's not like the material is widely different, it just might be presented differently or go into more detail. B&B gives great structure and good straightforward explanations of all the topics and concepts, and then the school lectures provide more context and details to fill in. I can only speak for Einstein but I would say that our exams are generally very reasonable and not difficult to study for if you give yourself enough time. Almost all the professors here provide syllabi for the lectures highlighting important topics, key words, drugs, and diseases, as well as practice questions, so it's very easy to formulate a study plan since they tell you exactly what you are expected to know. Since it's all P/F, you can prioritize how much time you want to spend studying with whatever materials you want and not stress about knowing every detail. I know students here who straight up don't watch school lectures and only study B&B and use the practice questions given to gauge their knowledge for exams. I personally would not let NBME vs in-house be a deciding factor in your school decision, I don't think it'll make much of a difference in the long run because you still have to put the work in either way.
This is really good to know, thank you!! I'm assuming most of what I've seen is from students who go to schools with really poorly written house exams, which is why they're so adamant about NBME. So glad to hear it's not an issue with Einstein 🙌

If any of you had an April interview and haven't heard back yet, you might soon. I interviewed early April and just got my decision today

• Wow
I think the questionnaire is only for admitted students. Website isn’t super clear, but think the only thing applicants without admission status yet can do to quicken process is submit their fafsa
FWIW they also asked rolling admissions students to complete it to expedite the process if admitted. ETA if they want it from you they tell you how to submit it.

I got that email, but it was just a link the financial aid page of the website. Or did you receive additional instructions? Otherwise not sure how you'd know your banner id.
You can leave the Banner ID blank, you don't get that till later on.

FWIW they also asked rolling admissions students to complete it to expedite the process if admitted. ETA if they want it from you they tell you how to submit it.
oh **** I only filled out fafsa. should I also be filling out this link? (Hpwl)

oh **** I only filled out fafsa. should I also be filling out this link? (Hpwl)
Hmm I was a late interview so I didn't get the Rolling Admissions (HPWL) email until 4/14, but I didn't even get that email where they asked us to fill it out. FWIW, an old thread said it was optional and didn't affect admissions.

Hmm I was a late interview so I didn't get the Rolling Admissions (HPWL) email until 4/14, but I didn't even get that email where they asked us to fill it out. FWIW, an old thread said it was optional and didn't affect admissions.
When did you interview?

I was on the regular WL and just got rejected off of it. Interviewed in October. Good luck everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
+1; never saw Einstein appear on my AMCAS CYMS either.

Lol I got put on the regular WL only a few days ago, should I be expecting just a delayed R

I got that April 15th email and am really hoping this week we get a second “still interested” email. Seems like in past years everyone who gets the final still interested email gets accepted

Reactions: 3 users
Oh yeah definitely doesn’t affect admissions. It’s just if you want to make sure you get a quick fin aid quote if you get in since the decision timeline in that scenario gets shortened

any news, anyone? l m a o

Anyone on the regular WL able to see Einstein in the alternate list in the CYMS tool?

I just received my first MD acceptance at another school, so today is the first day that I am able to use the CYMS tool. I see all other schools where I had been waitlisted but not Einstein. Thinking this is a bad sign considering there were a couple of people who recently received an R after being placed on the regular waitlist :(

Anyone on the regular WL able to see Einstein in the alternate list in the CYMS tool?

I just received my first MD acceptance at another school, so today is the first day that I am able to use the CYMS tool. I see all other schools where I had been waitlisted but not Einstein. Thinking this is a bad sign considering there were a couple of people who recently received an R after being placed on the regular waitlist :(
I’m also on the regular WL and don’t see Einstein in the CYMS tool! Do rolling admissions folks see Einstein on the tool?

Losing my mind over here waiting for some news lol I’m on 4 other waitlists besides Einstein and don’t know whether to start reapplying

• Care
Losing my mind over here waiting for some news lol I’m on 4 other waitlists besides Einstein and don’t know whether to start reapplying
me neither im on 3 others idk if i should be starting my PS at the very least. truly no idea.

• Care