2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apartment options I know people to live in are Plaza, Villas, Copper Point, Rustic Ridge, Terrace Green, Campbell Reserve. Many rent houses as well, as it is just as affordable. Really everything is close. I live in an apartment that is about 10-15 min away depending on traffic. There are more new complexes that have popped up as well recently.

I'm a current fourth year and have been in my place for all 4 years. There are some good places, housing options all around really.
When do people seriously start looking for housing together?

Members don't see this ad.

When do people seriously start looking for housing together?
I started around accepted students day (so about March). I live solo but some people connected on Facebook or GroupMe for roommates. I signed a lease and started paying rent in April so I could secure a spot. I know some that waited until May or June.

I started around accepted students day (so about March). I live solo but some people connected on Facebook or GroupMe for roommates. I signed a lease and started paying rent in April so I could secure a spot. I know some that waited until May or June.
Omg people start paying rent that early? Wth

Members don't see this ad :)
Omg people start paying rent that early? Wth
So they can secure a spot. Sometimes there isn't a ton opening up for a July move in. My class graduates in May then I forsee throughout May a large move from our class

Any updates on decisions? It’s been so quiet 😅

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed 12/10 and I’ve been anxiously checking workday constantly over the past 10 days 😭
Same!! I interviewed 12/8 and I've been checking religiously to the point where it has become so unhealthy for me 😅😭

Reactions: 1 users
Same!! I interviewed 12/8 and I've been checking religiously to the point where it has become so unhealthy for me 😅😭
Same!! Just tell us!!!! lolol

Same!! Just tell us!!!! lolol
Checking workday is now a part of my daily routine 😭 Hopefully tomorrow? From what I could tell looking at when others heard back relative to when they interviewed, this should be the week we hear as well, but maybe the holidays have resulted in the delay. Hopefully next week at the latest 🥺

Checking workday is now a part of my daily routine 😭 Hopefully tomorrow? From what I could tell looking at when others heard back relative to when they interviewed, this should be the week we hear as well, but maybe the holidays have resulted in the delay. Hopefully next week at the latest 🥺
I looked at last years thread and it seemed like people heard back around January 11th, but for our sake I also hope it’s this week

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at last years thread and it seemed like people heard back around January 11th, but for our sake I also hope it’s this week
I really hope it's tomorrow as well but I think y'all are right - I bet the holidays will delay it to next week

To current students or alumni, Please answer a few or all questions. I appreciate any help you can provide.

1. What do you like about this medical school?
  2. What do you wish you had?
  3. What’s bothering you the most?
  4. How did you feel about the rotations sites (3rd and 4th) and making connections for residency?
  5. How do you feel about the match list? Any popular specialties?
  6. In what region of the country do most students end up doing their residency?
  7. How difficult was it to make your group of friends? Or did the majority of people prefer to be alone?
  8. How supportive was the staff?
  9. How much is OMM emphasized?
  10. How was the overall learning environment? Competitive?
  11. Did you ever feel “alone”? Did the class size affect this?
  12. Thoughts on the curriculum? Do you like it?
  13. How’s the town? Are there cafes and good places to eat? To study?
  14. How solid is the gym?
  15. How was it when you guys prepped for boards? Did you feel supported? Was there a high % pass rate?
  16. What’s the attrition rate like? How many students do you see leave or repeat years?

To current students or alumni, Please answer a few or all questions. I appreciate any help you can provide.

1. What do you like about this medical school?
  2. What do you wish you had?
  3. What’s bothering you the most?
  4. How did you feel about the rotations sites (3rd and 4th) and making connections for residency?
  5. How do you feel about the match list? Any popular specialties?
  6. In what region of the country do most students end up doing their residency?
  7. How difficult was it to make your group of friends? Or did the majority of people prefer to be alone?
  8. How supportive was the staff?
  9. How much is OMM emphasized?
  10. How was the overall learning environment? Competitive?
  11. Did you ever feel “alone”? Did the class size affect this?
  12. Thoughts on the curriculum? Do you like it?
  13. How’s the town? Are there cafes and good places to eat? To study?
  14. How solid is the gym?
  15. How was it when you guys prepped for boards? Did you feel supported? Was there a high % pass rate?
  16. What’s the attrition rate like? How many students do you see leave or repeat years?

1. Really, I like the opportunities I have had. I have been able to train with some amazing physicians and learn so much. I feel like I will address more of this specifically with other questions.

2. This one is hard to characterize, as some of my wishes just seem like more personal wants than issues with the school.

3. Again, see #2. But I am also still in Residency Interview mode so some days, everything bothers me.

4. I lucked out, I feel, with my rotation site. I was able to stay in Joplin and I have been able to work with residents and make some great connections. I also feel like I have been able to learn from some great clinicians and overall, it has helped shape me into a developing physician and grow confidence in medical care. I also know some who went to other sites for various reasons and were happy with their decision.

5. Match lists are hard to evaluate. There is so much selection bias. I saw a lot of great matches last year from the Joplin class and I am so proud of them. And so many of them got one of their top matches and are happy, and ultimately, that is the goal.

6. That is also self selection. Some of it is Midwest, because many know the name KCU, but I have seen matches coast to coast. Some try to go closer to home too, and that affects regional match results.

7. It might be smidge harder with online learning, but I had no issue. I met most of my friends in orientation and during first year. With my class, we made a GroupMe and still communicate with each other often. I was one to study alone mostly, but did study with some classmates some times as well. It is varied by the individual, but I feel that people were able to make friends.

8. I worked with some supportive staff. When the pandemic started, I had some staff that reached out to me and others to see how we were doing with the early days of the pandemic and the changes that came with it. I had people that I could always stop in their office for questions or venting or just general support. That was always helpful pre-clinical years. And our campus dean would walk around in the evenings to check in with the students and tell us she was proud of us often and keep encouraging. (I hope she still does this, but COVID times, ya know?)

9. Pre-clinical, decent amount. Not more than other schools for sure but it was definitely there. Clinicals, there are online courses and logs to complete, but if you want to do more than the minimum, there are attendings that will support that. I did not feel that it really was too much.

10. I never felt the learning environment was competitive. With my class at least, I felt it was more collaborative. I never felt like I was in competitive pressures from my class or other students.

11. Oh yea I have felt alone, but I think that was more of the imposter syndrome that comes with medical school and such. I do not think it had anything to do with the class. Mental health is so important and especially closer to boards, I think that was more of the stressor than social related issues.

12. The curriculum was good. 1st year "what goes right" and 2nd year "when it all goes wrong". I had subjects I had more issues in, but that was more related to personal strengths and weaknesses than a failure of the program. Overall, I think it helped me prepare for boards and for clinicals, and that is the ultimate goal. I had to adjust my personal studying as I went but there were great support people to help me evaluate what I was doing and make changes.

13. The town is a small city. Large cities within a day's drive away for time off. Great for studying though. And some good outdoor space. I think there are a ton of food options, especially for the size of the area. I was surprised but I have found great local food areas. Cafes, great coffee shops that have opened over the last few years that I have enjoyed to study in. And I love coffee. Really, I think Joplin has been a great place to study and lots of pathology to learn from as well as good places to relax, find good food and just to live in.

14. Gym = YMCA. It is pretty decent gym. But I do not go often, for personal reasons and not because of the facility. Some go to other local gyms as well such as Colaw, Planet Fitness, 24h Fitness.

15. I don't think I have seen internal numbers for pass rate, but we just switched from 360 to Workday so not everything has merged over. I think we had plenty of time in dedicated for boards. The school did purchase for us TrueLearn to help with COMLEX. I used some other resources (and some that our SGA helped organize a group buy for) but that was solely because I found other things that worked for me and my learning style (Sketchy is my fav).

16. This is also hard to characterize. Some left for personal/family reasons and not due to school things. I know some who left due to academic reasons, but I do not think it was a large portion of the class.

Well I hope that helps. I am not sure if I really answered the above thorough enough so I hope that helps!

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a new laptop before I start school and I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on what I should get? I want to get another Mac, but I had heard that with online learning that not everything can be done on a Mac, is this true? Or does anyone have an suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a new laptop before I start school and I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations on what I should get? I want to get another Mac, but I had heard that with online learning that not everything can be done on a Mac, is this true? Or does anyone have an suggestions?

Thanks!
I have Mac computers and they work with everything KCU gives. Haven’t had issues.

Sorry if this has already been asked but anyone know the post II acceptance rate?

Sorry if this has already been asked but anyone know the post II acceptance rate?
Not officially but I would guess around 60-70% based on previous threads and my own experience! I did not feel great about my interview and I was accepted!

also how are we getting notified? e-mail, mail, workday? i can't find application status under workday i am apparently a grandmother with technology

also how are we getting notified? e-mail, mail, workday? i can't find application status under workday i am apparently a grandmother with technology
I also interviewed 12/8 and still no news :/ I believe we’ll hear through both workday and email. If there’s no status on workday then it means decisions haven’t rolled out yet. Based on last year’s thread you might see a decision on workday before emails are sent out.

+1 (for KC campus)!!!! Congrats to you!!!
Lucky ! I wanted to go to the KC campus lol. Regardless, I’m happy to have gotten in and congrats to you as well

Last edited:
Lucky ! I wanted to go to the KC campus lol. Regardless, I’m happy to have gotten in and congrats to you as well
Congrats!! How did you hear? Workday? Email? Interviewed 12/15 so am anxiously waiting!

Found this LGBTQ group me for Joplin. If apart of community join!! GroupMe

Accepted today! Interviewed in early december

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today!! Interviewed 12/10. The very best of luck to those who are still waiting! You got this!

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to decide on which school I will be attending and with KCU I was worried about not being able to live close enough to campus to walk. My wife and I were thinking we would cut down to one car, to help cut down on costs. I just wanted to see hoe realistic that is? My wife will either be working remotely or on site in a town about 20 minutes away. Did anyone else cut down to one care and have someone drive them to school daily? Is that something that would work?

Also how would that work during third and fourth year? Would it be a good idea to have one car then too?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone!

I am trying to decide on which school I will be attending and with KCU I was worried about not being able to live close enough to campus to walk. My wife and I were thinking we would cut down to one car, to help cut down on costs. I just wanted to see hoe realistic that is? My wife will either be working remotely or on site in a town about 20 minutes away. Did anyone else cut down to one care and have someone drive them to school daily? Is that something that would work?

Also how would that work during third and fourth year? Would it be a good idea to have one car then too?

Thanks!
There are houses that are close enough to rent but honestly, a car to get around works better. I have seen some people bike to school to but especially for clinicals, you will probably want a car.

Hi Everyone!

Thanks!
I’d say it’s possible to use one car during the first two years but during clinicals you will probably want another car no matter what school you choose to attend!

Does anyone know what rental properties students typically live at here? I tried to do some digging on previous threads but wasn’t very successful when it comes to specific details. Any info on where students typically rent would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance! 😊

Does anyone know what rental properties students typically live at here? I tried to do some digging on previous threads but wasn’t very successful when it comes to specific details. Any info on where students typically rent would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance! 😊
And any nearby/close to the schools would be helpful too :)

Are you looking houses or apartments? I have previously listed some apartments that students rent earlier in the thread. There are houses nearby but honestly, everything is relatively close. I live in an apartment currently that is 11 minutes away

Are you looking houses or apartments? I have previously listed some apartments that students rent earlier in the thread. There are houses nearby but honestly, everything is relatively close. I live in an apartment currently that is 11 minutes away
I’ll look earlier in the thread for your recommendations, thank you very much!! Can I ask which apartment you live at?

I’ll look earlier in the thread for your recommendations, thank you very much!! Can I ask which apartment you live at?
I live in one of the ones behind one of the Walmart Supercenter that is surrounded by lots of food options. There is a lot of Walmarts here. I don't like to share where I live outside of DMs only because of privacy concerns

I live in one of the ones behind one of the Walmart Supercenter that is surrounded by lots of food options. There is a lot of Walmarts here. I don't like to share where I live outside of DMs only because of privacy concerns
Makes complete sense! If you don’t mind, I may DM you later for further follow up if that’s ok. Thank you for your help!