2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
KCU-Joplin c/o 2026 groupme

Hi Everyone! I just received my first ever II (first application cycle) and I honestly was not expecting this at all, felt like this was gonna be a hopeless cycle for me. I have not done any med school interviews yet and I would truly appreciate your input on them, really would like some help and guidance with this interview. Congratulations to everyone that got accepted, and for those that are awaiting a response- I truly hope for the best for all of you!!💜

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! I just received my first ever II (first application cycle) and I honestly was not expecting this at all, felt like this was gonna be a hopeless cycle for me. I have not done any med school interviews yet and I would truly appreciate your input on them, really would like some help and guidance with this interview. Congratulations to everyone that got accepted, and for those that are awaiting a response- I truly hope for the best for all of you!!💜
SAMEE!!! I put no preference for the campus.

CONGRATS <3

Interviews are really laid back. We all signed an NDA so can’t discussed what they ask/tell.
Just be confident and have some good questions to ask the interviewers. You never know who will be interviewing you so prep 2-3 questions to ask specific people (students vs faculty). Good luck!!! You made it this far!

• Love
Interviews are really laid back. We all signed an NDA so can’t discussed what they ask/tell.
Just be confident and have some good questions to ask the interviewers. You never know who will be interviewing you so prep 2-3 questions to ask specific people (students vs faculty). Good luck!!! You made it this far!
Thank you so much, I will definitely keep all of that in mind and prep for it :) Also, I noticed that there is also a group portion to the interview. Do you know how I should prep for that? I have no idea what to expect in that so its making me kind of nervous. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank you so much, I will definitely keep all of that in mind and prep for it :) Also, I noticed that there is also a group portion to the interview. Do you know how I should prep for that? I have no idea what to expect in that so its making me kind of nervous. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
I did not prep for it :) very laid back

I did not prep for it :) very laid back
Do you recommend preparing for those that have never done IIs and done no mock interviews before? I am practicing the traditional Qs like tell me about yourself/whymed/whydo/why KCU? However, I struggle with ethical scenarios the most because it's difficult for me to think about options to suggest like they do in the example answers online.

I know you guys signed a NDA, so I'm sorry for bothering with my question.

Do you recommend preparing for those that have never done IIs and done no mock interviews before? I am practicing the traditional Qs like tell me about yourself/whymed/whydo/why KCU? However, I struggle with ethical scenarios the most because it's difficult for me to think about options to suggest like they do in the example answers online.

As a physician you will deal with a lot of ethical scenarios. This is a very important part that is accessed during interviews. Practice.

As a physician you will deal with a lot of ethical scenarios. This is a very important part that is accessed during interviews. Practice.

Read up on ethics, recommend that if its a weakness

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! I just received my first ever II (first application cycle) and I honestly was not expecting this at all, felt like this was gonna be a hopeless cycle for me. I have not done any med school interviews yet and I would truly appreciate your input on them, really would like some help and guidance with this interview. Congratulations to everyone that got accepted, and for those that are awaiting a response- I truly hope for the best for all of you!
I would say prepare ahead of time for those basic DO medical school interview questions just so it goes pretty well. The interviewers were very nice and friendly. You don’t have a lot of time to talk during the interview so make sure you stick only to the important details for your answers. Last thing is test out your webcam or laptop camera beforehand on zoom and if it’s blurry honestly just invest in a nice webcam from bestbuy and return it afterwards if you can’t afford it lol….if you wanna go all out add a ring light too…I makes you glow a bit more! You got this and do your best.
just be interactive and give other people a chance to talk and give credit to others “I also agree with person A answer because….” I’d say put your input on all the questions asked and you are going to do great!

• Love
Any current students: are there used buy and sells for furniture and what not from upper years or maybe people of Joplin in general? Trying to sort out moving and budget

I would say prepare ahead of time for those basic DO medical school interview questions just so it goes pretty well. The interviewers were very nice and friendly. You don’t have a lot of time to talk during the interview so make sure you stick only to the important details for your answers. Last thing is test out your webcam or laptop camera beforehand on zoom and if it’s blurry honestly just invest in a nice webcam from bestbuy and return it afterwards if you can’t afford it lol….if you wanna go all out add a ring light too…I makes you glow a bit more! You got this and do your best.

just be interactive and give other people a chance to talk and give credit to others “I also agree with person A answer because….” I’d say put your input on all the questions asked and you are going to do great!
omg thank you so much for the advice!!! I'lll for sure keep that in mind. My Mac camera quality is decreasing by the day lol, I'll def invest in that ring light :)

Reactions: 1 users
omg thank you so much for the advice!!! I'lll for sure keep that in mind. My Mac camera quality is decreasing by the day lol, I'll def invest in that ring light :)
Real talk, LED desk lamp (behind my laptop stand) and a cheap camera from amazon elevated my video quality so much! I highly recommend, especially if you're still in school for zoom meetings and classes.

Yes! if you have money get the Logitech 4K pro 😭lol also try and get a chair that is stationary or if you only have a swivel chair try to not swing around randomly like I saw some people doing lol

Yes! if you have money get the Logitech 4K pro 😭lol also try and get a chair that is stationary or if you only have a swivel chair try to not swing around randomly like I saw some people doing lol
Def changing my location to the dining room, so I sit on a stationary chair LOL

• Haha
any students here: do you actually need to buy the textbooks or can you find the pdfs/used books from upper years?

any students here: do you actually need to buy the textbooks or can you find the pdfs/used books from upper years?
I would say you dont need to buy any textbooks for first year. I never used a book first year and the same applies to several others. (if you really need a book then you'll be able to find it from your peers who have PDF versions or will be selling used books). Second year, you might need to buy a book such as pathoma or first aid to help with your studies, but students mainly spend their money on resources second year such as Sketchy, Pathoma, etc. The school will provide Truelearn and UWorld for 2-3rd year med students!

I also highly suggest all of you to find the KCU-Joplin Buy/Sell facebook group so when the end of the year comes, a lot of students will be selling their books, furniture, etc for cheap!

I would say you dont need to buy any textbooks for first year. I never used a book first year and the same applies to several others. (if you really need a book then you'll be able to find it from your peers who have PDF versions or will be selling used books). Second year, you might need to buy a book such as pathoma or first aid to help with your studies, but students mainly spend their money on resources second year such as Sketchy, Pathoma, etc. The school will provide Truelearn and UWorld for 2-3rd year med students!

I also highly suggest all of you to find the KCU-Joplin Buy/Sell facebook group so when the end of the year comes, a lot of students will be selling their books, furniture, etc for cheap!
Thanks so much! I was asking just to get a sense of how accurate the cost of attendance was for the first year but it seems like it might less than they list out if you have roommates, not buying books, etc

When is the white coat ceremony? Typically at the start of medical school (in July) or later in the year? Just so my family can try and organize either coming for my move or just the ceremony after my move

When is the white coat ceremony? Typically at the start of medical school (in July) or later in the year? Just so my family can try and organize either coming for my move or just the ceremony after my move
I think they sent an email about orientation being from July 11 to 25! So idk about white coat

I think they sent an email about orientation being from July 11 to 25! So idk about white coat
Do you know if you had to pay your deposit to get the email? I was accepted but haven’t yet paid my deposit and did not receive this email.

Any current students: are there used buy and sells for furniture and what not from upper years or maybe people of Joplin in general? Trying to sort out moving and budget
Yes! There’s a buy/sell KCU fb Page for both campuses. Once April/may/June hits there will be lots of posts from 2nd or 3rd years moving away for clinicals. You can also try to stop by IKEA in KC before you come if you’re in Joplin. Lots of students did that my year

• Love
Yes! There’s a buy/sell KCU fb Page for both campuses. Once April/may/June hits there will be lots of posts from 2nd or 3rd years moving away for clinicals. You can also try to stop by IKEA in KC before you come if you’re in Joplin. Lots of students did that my year
That’s super helpful! Thanks a lof

I just received an II today! Did not expect to get it so late in the cycle!! I have pretty limited interview experience, so any tips would be hugely welcome.

And I know this probably gets asked frequently, but does anyone have an idea of the post-II acceptance rate. I do know that they take a lot of time to communicate the decision sometimes so am curious about that.

• Love
I just received an II today! Did not expect to get it so late in the cycle!! I have pretty limited interview experience, so any tips would be hugely welcome.

And I know this probably gets asked frequently, but does anyone have an idea of the post-II acceptance rate. I do know that they take a lot of time to communicate the decision sometimes so am curious about that.
I am in the same boat LOL

It's terrifying, I feel you.

Census here is practice traditional DO Qs (tell us about yourself, why MD, why DO, and why KCU?) and practice ethical scenarios. Best to have a friend ask you these Q's and record your responses and time it because there are only 10 minutes, it's important to hit your main points during that one sesh of 10 mins. There are total 3, one on one interviews.

Post-II acceptance rate is 65-70%.

Current First year at Kansas City Campus. Feel free to reach out with any questions!

Census here is practice traditional DO Qs (tell us about yourself, why MD, why DO, and why KCU?) and practice ethical scenarios. Best to have a friend ask you these Q's and record your responses and time it because there are only 10 minutes, it's important to hit your main points during that one sesh of 10 mins. There are total 3, one on one interviews.

Thanks so much. Will try to make sure I practice the most important points that I want to get across. Good luck!!!

• Love

Just a random follow up because I obviously can't stop thinking about it, do you reckon getting off the interview waitlist/qualified status list after months to get it changes the equation at all? Better look, worse, or irrelevant you think?

Last edited:
Just a random follow up because I obviously can't stop thinking about it, do you reckon getting off the interview waitlist/qualified status list after months to get it changes the equation at all? Better look, worse, or irrelevant you think?
Don't worry about it. Change your mindset and do the best you can in the moment. You got an interview for a reason so focus on killing the interview! Stop worrying about stats! YOU GOT THIS!

• Love
Just got an II, completed secondary 1/28! Submitted for both campuses!

• Love
What has been everyone's experience with post-interview decision time? They said up to 6 weeks, but I really hope it doesn't take that long! Also, is the decision sent via email or posted directly on workday?

What has been everyone's experience with post-interview decision time? They said up to 6 weeks, but I really hope it doesn't take that long! Also, is the decision sent via email or posted directly on workday?
Just to build on this, does anyone know where in workday this would show? I don't see a specific status page or any subheading that might indicate admission decision.

I got an II on Friday 02/04, OOS, complete (sorry I really can't remember)

My friend got the acceptance decision by email!!

I got a response about an A in about 3.5 weeks and you’ll get an email and on your workday account at the top it’ll say you’re accepted

Reactions: 2 users
Just to build on this, does anyone know where in workday this would show? I don't see a specific status page or any subheading that might indicate admission decision.
It’ll be on the heading like this

Attachments

• 1091ACEA-C88E-4C24-960E-435471575836.png
    1091ACEA-C88E-4C24-960E-435471575836.png
    207.5 KB · Views: 236
Current OMS-1. White coat for us was supposed to be at the end of July, but then thanks to COVID was moved to August and then pushed back again to January. We still haven't had our White Coat. I think they typically do it like the first week of school, but they'll include the tentative White Coat date in your acceptance package, if I remember correctly. I'd assume yours would be in August, because the reason ours was pushed back til then was so the M2's could have theirs first (which was also pushed back from COVID). So I'd think we'll have ours and then you'll have yours. Sorry that's not super helpful, White Coat's been a sensitive topic this year.

Hey guys! Any acceptances from early January interviews? Thanks!

Hey guys. I had my interview a few days ago while I had covid for the second time. I feel like I was not thinking straight and I could have done better. I didn't even prepare for the interview because I was so sick. Please send prayers and positive energy towards me because I am feeling sad about my experience. (KCU is great, I feel bad for what I was on my interview.) Thank you in advance!!

And no I did not tell KCU. I didn't want to make an excuse.

• Care
Hey guys. I had my interview a few days ago while I had covid for the second time. I feel like I was not thinking straight and I could have done better. I didn't even prepare for the interview because I was so sick. Please send prayers and positive energy towards me because I am feeling sad about my experience. (KCU is great, I feel bad for what I was on my interview.) Thank you in advance!!

And no I did not tell KCU. I didn't want to make an excuse.
Sending prayers! I am sure you did much better than what you think! Hope you are feeling better...COVID can be a beast.