2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
agree with this 100%. KCU does less OMM, nicer campus imo, and even though I’m not a huge fan of the city KC is 1000x better than Des Monies
same bro same LOL

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It works like the match. You rank all the rotation sites in the order you would like and then they run an algorithm and try to make the most people happy as possible. You have the option to write letters for why you need to be at a certain site, whether you have a family tie or other ties to a certain location, also you can include financial, social, health, or other reasons why you need a certain site. I think most people get a spot in their top 3 choices, however, there are definitely sites that are very popular and those will be harder to get.
Which sites are the most popular?

@smartdumbperson21 they all found out at once

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the michigan, denver, and bay area sites were the most popular this year.
Ok Denver and the Bay Area makes sense, but Michigan??

Are there sites that no student goes to or that only one or two go to?

The Michigan site is at a teaching hospital with a number of residencies there so thats why its sought after

Reactions: 1 users

Yes there are several rural kansas/missouri sites that only have room for a few students and are primarily for students wanting to practice primary care!

Anybody who is comparing AZCOM vs KCU? Please share your thoughts!

We have a forum for that! Check it out & search for your schools in thread titles or start your own :)

I'm on the waitlist here but I'd lean KCU based on P/F grading and cheaper tuition. Phoenix weather and the AZCOM campus are p nice but idk if it justifies the price

Any insight from KCU vs DMU from current students?
I agree with what my classmates say, but I just want to add one very, very important thing.

DMU has not transitioned to P/F for preclinical grades. Maybe they'll come around to the idea of P/F over at DMU, but at this time I haven't heard of this from people I know at DMU. It is a good school. I just found that KCU fit me better.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! Can any current medical students comment on sizing for white coats? I’m between 2 sizes on the size guide and they are obviously meant to be worn over clothing, so I’m leaning towards sizing up, but don’t want to look sloppy.

Hello! Can any current medical students comment on sizing for white coats? I’m between 2 sizes on the size guide and they are obviously meant to be worn over clothing, so I’m leaning towards sizing up, but don’t want to look sloppy.
It should be whatever your suit jacket size is. With that said for 90% of the class your white coat won’t fit well and you’ll just have to deal with it lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what my classmates say, but I just want to add one very, very important thing.

DMU has not transitioned to P/F for preclinical grades. Maybe they'll come around to the idea of P/F over at DMU, but at this time I haven't heard of this from people I know at DMU. It is a good school. I just found that KCU fit me better.
Initially, I wasn't a fan of the P/F system but i didn't realize how badly med school would whoop me. 1 week in, i was definitely happy.

Reactions: 5 users

Initially, I wasn't a fan of the P/F system but i didn't realize how badly med school would whoop me. 1 week in, i was definitely happy.
As someone who had most of first year with letter grades and then switched to pass fail when covid hit I can say that pass fail in 1000x better than letter grades

Reactions: 4 users
As someone who had most of first year with letter grades and then switched to pass fail when covid hit I can say that pass fail in 1000x better than letter grades
Re-freaking-tweet on that. P/F helped my stress levels so so so much

Re-freaking-tweet on that. P/F helped my stress levels so so so much
Doesn't P/F make you less competitive than applicants from schools with (good) letter grades? I would assume not but would appreciate an explanation on this!

Doesn't P/F make you less competitive than applicants from schools with (good) letter grades? I would assume not but would appreciate an explanation on this!
No. Grades are an extremely subjective way of comparing applicants between schools/differing programs. When comparing applicants based on academics most residency programs will absolutely look at board scores and basically not look at grades. I am unsure if there is a specialty that prefers grades, but I doubt it. It comes down to boards scores (or pass on the first attempt) > class rank/quartile (which KCU still does) > letter grades. Hope this clarifies!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
No. Grades are an extremely subjective way of comparing applicants between schools/differing programs. When comparing applicants based on academics most residency programs will absolutely look at board scores and basically not look at grades. I am unsure if there is a specialty that prefers grades, but I doubt it. It comes down to boards scores (or pass on the first attempt) > class rank/quartile (which KCU still does) > letter grades. Hope this clarifies!
Good to know! Hope I get off the waitlist here :'))

Reactions: 2 users
Also, it's more important to have GOOD letters and research over letter grades and now with step 1 as P/F, the letters and ECs will be more heavily weighed.

Pre-clinical grades are one of the last things that residency program directors look at to shift through an applicant pool, if they even care to look at all.

Even getting honors in your first two years is less likely to have a significant impact on your residency application if your scores on boards are subpar. This seems harsh to say I know, but board scores remain king, alongside research.

Last edited:
Also, it's more important to have GOOD letters and research over letter grades and now with step 1 as P/F, the letters and ECs will be more heavily weighed.
Yep, with Step 1/COMLEX 1 now being P/F, the ways to get ahead of the pack when it comes time to apply are:

- Scores on Step 2/Comlex 2 (much more weighted on Step 2 for former MD residencies)
- Research that pertains to the field you're applying, and then any other research you do
- LoRs from prominent/known physicians in the field you're applying
- Clinical grades/evals, which is reflected mostly in your Dean's letter

I also can not understate how nice having all four years of our medical school being P/F alongside step 1 being P/F is. Don't get me wrong, it is still a humbling experience and very much still stressful, but an order of magnitude lower now.

I also can not understate how nice having all four years of our medical school being P/F
Current 4th year (for another 2 weeks lol) who only got to have P/F for our final class when they switched to P/F because of COVID....it was amazing. It sounds dumb but the mental load of thinking of a class as P/F is a lot lighter, especially for many of us type A med school personalities.

Reactions: 4 users
Idk why noone talks about this more often
BUT kcu is cool cause they let you retake your first med school exam AND the final.
So if you're having a tough time adjusting to med school/moving/living by yourself and you BOMB that first exam.
You can retake the exam (diff exam same content) on the Monday- and they'll take the higher grade. They also do the same for the final for that first class.

Idk why noone talks about this more often
BUT kcu is cool cause they let you retake your first med school exam AND the final.
So if you're having a tough time adjusting to med school/moving/living by yourself and you BOMB that first exam.
You can retake the exam (diff exam same content) on the Monday- and they'll take the higher grade. They also do the same for the final for that first class.
Damn I wish they would have done that for my class cause I failed both of those and only passed cause of the curve lol

Has there been any waitlist movement/when to expect an update?
I would assume more waitlist movement will start closer and after May 14 when accepted DO students have to narrow down to one acceptance! I bet there are some accepted students who are on waitlists for MD programs that will get off the waitlists around the 30th because of the MD traffic deadline as well.

Damn I wish they would have done that for my class cause I failed both of those and only passed cause of the curve lol
ya it sucks previous classes didnt get it- but ill take it happily LOL
thank god for the curve

Did anyone who sent a letter of intent get a response back?

Did anyone who sent a letter of intent get a response back?
When I had sent in mine, they replied letting me know they received it two days afterwards

Any word from KCU yet ? Waitlist movement or possible survery to see if we still want to be considered off the waitlist. Ive been seeing more people withdrawing their seat not only from here but other schools As well

Any word from KCU yet ? Waitlist movement or possible survery to see if we still want to be considered off the waitlist. Ive been seeing more people withdrawing their seat not only from here but other schools As well
They usually start movement in May til 1st day of classes.

Does anyone know if Waitlist acceptances are typically to the Joplin campus?

Just to clarify, we are only supposed to order one of the options for the otoscope/ophthalmoscope right? What is the difference between the two? I already have the stethoscope so that’s why I’m not ordering the whole kit.

Also, do most people buy the medical bag? I was planning on purchasing a different type of bag to hold everything but wasn’t sure if most people just buy this.

Attachments

• IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 150
Just to clarify, we are only supposed to order one of the options for the otoscope/ophthalmoscope right? What is the difference between the two? I already have the stethoscope so that’s why I’m not ordering the whole kit.

Also, do most people buy the medical bag? I was planning on purchasing a different type of bag to hold everything but wasn’t sure if most people just buy this.
Just save yourself a few hundred dollars and buy the stuff on eBay or from upperclassman. But from the school is a total scam

FYI waitlist fam- I just logged into workday and saw that there is now a link for an "Admissions Waitlist Survey" that must be completed by 5/10 or you're booted from the WL. In the survey, they ask if you've submitted an LOI. Not sure if they've had this survey in the past, but hopefully it helps with WL movement!

I plan to submit a LOI, do I have to do it before I fill out the waitlist survey or can I indicate it somehow?

would responding no the LOI question hurt me in any way?

would responding no the LOI question hurt me in any way?
I wasn't going to submit an LOI, but given the fact that they're specifically asking if you have sent one in I think it might be something they are paying particular attention to. I think they might use it to filter through those on the WL and make sure that those who indicated that they submitted an LOI have the LOI added to their app since KCU's portal doesnt have a place for you to upload it yourself.

Should I submit a letter of intent if I would only attend the KC campus?
I wasn't going to submit an LOI, but given the fact that they're specifically asking if you have sent one in I think it might be something they are paying particular attention to. I think they might use it to filter through those on the WL and make sure that those who indicated that they submitted an LOI have the LOI added to their app since KCU's portal doesnt have a place for you to upload it yourself.
You should really only submit an LOI if the school is your top choice and you would attend it over any other offer you receive.

Can current students who got in off the waitlist shed light on the process? 510/3.6 here but looking through past threads it seems like some people with high stats didn't get in immediately (or at all) on the first round of waitlist offers while those with lower stats did. Would like to gauge my chances lol

Is a LOI necessary? I marked no on the survey cuz i'm on an MD waitlist that I already sent one to but I really don't want to have to reapply again...

Can current students who got in off the waitlist shed light on the process? 510/3.6 here but looking through past threads it seems like some people with high stats didn't get in immediately (or at all) on the first round of waitlist offers while those with lower stats did. Would like to gauge my chances lol

Is a LOI necessary? I marked no on the survey cuz i'm on an MD waitlist that I already sent one to but I really don't want to have to reapply again...
I wasn't on the waitlist, but from what I understand they try to fill the spot with someone with stats similar to the accepted student that turned down their spot. So, if the person was a 510/3.6, they'll look for someone like you on the WL. If the person was 501/3.9, they'll look for someone like that. I'm not 100% sure how true that is, but that's what they've always said their process is iirc.

I wasn't on the waitlist, but from what I understand they try to fill the spot with someone with stats similar to the accepted student that turned down their spot. So, if the person was a 510/3.6, they'll look for someone like you on the WL. If the person was 501/3.9, they'll look for someone like that. I'm not 100% sure how true that is, but that's what they've always said their process is iirc.
Gotcha, I guess the odds of getting in somewhere else and turning down KCU would be higher for higher stats people so there's an advantage that way?

Gotcha, I guess the odds of getting in somewhere else and turning down KCU would be higher for higher stats people so there's an advantage that way?
Probably, someone with a 510 has a higher chance of getting off and MD waitlist and dropping their KCU acceptance

Yeah, I suppose that could make sense.