2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone tell me what the need is in requiring a laptop with specific specs in addition to the iPad they provide? What sorts of things do current students find themselves doing on their laptop instead of their iPad?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me what the need is in requiring a laptop with specific specs in addition to the iPad they provide? What sorts of things do current students find themselves doing on their laptop instead of their iPad?
Just get a regular laptop.

When I had sent in mine, they replied letting me know they received it two days afterwards
When did you send yours in? I sent mine in 2 days ago, still haven't received confirmation yet

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you send yours in? I sent mine in 2 days ago, still haven't received confirmation yet
Sent in LOI on 4/15 and received confirmation on 4/19 (two business days after).

I have not seen any movement here so I thought I would let everyone know that I withdrew my acceptance here today. I hope someone on the waitlist is able to receive an acceptance soon!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
I called last week, and they said they're going to start looking at the waitlist mid-May/end of May, so hopefully we see some movement soon!!!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got accepted to Kansas city campus. My 3rd cycle applying. Finally got into medschool 😁. I wish you all the best future doctors! DONT GIVE UP!

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 19 users
Got accepted to Kansas city campus. My 3rd cycle applying. Finally got into medschool 😁. I wish you all the best future doctors! DONT GIVE UP!

CONGRATULATIONS, FUTURE DOCTOR!!!! That is incredible! Mind sharing your stats? And did you send a LOI?

Reactions: 1 user
Couldn’t post without first telling my mom (she lurks around here and knows my username..).
But I got accepted to Kcu at Joplin!!! It’s been a long journey for me, almost non-trad status at this point. I just wanted to tell all of you that no matter what happens, know your worth and your dreams will materialize. I applied last year and got waitlisted at kcu, applied this year also waitlisted and by some miracle I got the good news today at 1pm. I hope all of you are able to experience this feeling and have success off the waitlist!
Obligatory stats: 3.1 cgpa (3.9 post bacc) 509 Mcat, caregiver for work, and I volunteer teaching homeless kids. Loi sent in 5/6 and filed 5/7. Feel free to message me if you want more info!

• Care
Reactions: 13 users
Just got an A via email from Kami today. Really excited! No LOI & really didn't see the waitlist survey till today.
Stats: 3.2/520 & Interviewed Feb 15

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
So KCU really asked for LOI just to see who is most desperate 💀

Just got an A via email from Kami today. Really excited! No LOI & really didn't see the waitlist survey till today.
Stats: 3.2/520 & Interviewed Feb 15
You have a 520 first of all !!!! Congrats !!!! I’m surprised they would even put you on a waitlist !

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted an offer at the KC campus today! I can't believe it, so excited!

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
I sent in my LOI on Thursday last week. How long did it take for the admissions office to confirm receipt? Not sure whether it’s too early to reach out or not

about 48 hour
I sent in my LOI on Thursday last week. How long did it take for the admissions office to confirm receipt? Not sure whether it’s too early to reach out or not
about 48 hours from what I can see, I sent mine back in January, they responded to me a week later

They never got back to me via email but confirmed when I called them 2 days later

You can call or also check on your workday! I saw it being updated on there :)

Hi everyone, I had applied No Preference and was WL in December (interviewed in December as well). I just got an email for a spot in the KC campus. I will be accepting. I sent in an LOI in December, an additional LOR in April, and filled out the survey on 5/2.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone have any idea how many people (at least on SDN) tend to get off the waitlist from the past couple cycles? Given the class size I would imagine it would be a significant amount, but have no idea of a ballpark really. Also wonder how many of those WL/getting off WL are actually on SDn

Last edited:
Trying to figure out where to live in KC but I've never visited the city. River market has been the most popular suggestion but there aren't a lot of options in that area. My primary concern is being in a safe area. Would North KC be too much of a trek?

Trying to figure out where to live in KC but I've never visited the city. River market has been the most popular suggestion but there aren't a lot of options in that area. My primary concern is being in a safe area. Would North KC be too much of a trek?
North KC is a nicer area for a better price than downtown/river market. Depending where you live up there it could be like 15-20min drive max, totally doable. Plus the better grocery stores are up there (other than trader joes)

North KC is a nicer area for a better price than downtown/river market. Depending where you live up there it could be like 15-20min drive max, totally doable. Plus the better grocery stores are up there (other than trader joes)
What about Hyde Park or Midtown? (specifically the area next to Costco lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
What about Hyde Park or Midtown? (specifically the area next to Costco lol)
I would avoid stuff just south of Costco. I used to live in the area south of Costco (like north Westport area) and it was not good. Avoid Westport. If you wanna go south stuff in the plaza is good

Reactions: 2 users
Lived in North KC for first and second year, was a 10-15 minute drive. I think it's the best bang for your buck.

Reactions: 5 users
Just got accepted off of the waitlist for the Joplin campus but most likely going to give it up for PCOM-PA! Just grateful because I really do love KCU’s curriculum.

Reactions: 8 users
For those looking for housing in the KC area, I agree with some of the other posters above. North KC is the best bang for your buck from my visit a few months ago. You can find a nicer and cheaper place in North KC with more grocery stores and green spaces to unwind. Think of your typical suburb. I will literally have everything within a 2-mile radius. My drive will be ~15 minutes from campus which is not bad at all considering the fact that my rent will be like 30% cheaper. Plus, you don't have to worry about the small inconveniences of living in downtown.

Having said that, the River Market area is still not a bad option if you don't mind paying the extra $300+ in rent as it puts you within 5 minutes of campus. You could also consider going further south in some areas in downtown, but downtown living comes with its own problems such as random traffic, crime, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
There's 0 traffic in downtown and crime you'll realize is pretty much everywhere in KC. RM areas one of the nicer parts of the city

Where are people finding good deals for North KC stuff? All the cheap stuff there looks pretty bad and the good stuff is the same price as everywhere else?

There's 0 traffic in downtown and crime you'll realize is pretty much everywhere in KC. RM areas one of the nicer parts of the city
I agree. RM is a nice area. But if cost is a concern, RM may not be the most economical. I got a new 1 bedroom in North KC for less than the price of a studio in RM. Just something to think about. It may not work for everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
I live in North KC 10 minutes from campus and I love it. It's quieter and safer.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree. RM is a nice area. But if cost is a concern, RM may not be the most economical. I got a new 1 bedroom in North KC for less than the price of a studio in RM. Just something to think about. It may not work for everyone.
Agreed on cost for RM vs NKC, I was planning on moving into RM but decided the cost compared to an apartment here in north KC was much nicer.

Also for those that aren't familiar with KC, there is North KC proper (literally named North Kansas City), but everyone here just refers to anything north of the river that US-169 and I-29 cross as "northland", places like Briarcliff, Zona Rosa, Gladstone, Clay County etc.

It's nice up here, you've got pretty much all the amenities you'll want/need, traffic is non-existent (tbf traffic in KC is usually not a huge issue), and its quiet.