2021-2022 Pennsylvania (Perelman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WL -- just saw on the portal. congrats to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
WL. This one really hurts :(
but congrats to all of those who were accepted today!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how big the WL usually is?

The portal says 250 but I'm doubtful.. they waitlist EVERYONE post-interview, and last year on MSAR it shows that they interviewed about ~700+ people, if I'm remembering correctly. That's 500-600 people who are waitlisted. I doubt that many decline their spot

Oof I feel like the morale of this thread really dropped after decisions came out… I’m with y’all, I got WL too. I’m sure that all of you are extremely qualified applicants that will one day become outstanding physicians! Congrats to all of us for landing interviews at a top tier school like Penn. We should be proud of ourselves :) Good luck with the rest of the admissions process everyone!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i wish every penn adcom a truly terrible night
Hey with everything that's going on in the world at the moment (Ukraine, for example), this a pretty bad (and childish) take. We all get bad news. You'll be a physician, and bad news is sort of baked into the job.

Reactions: 1 users
decided to contribute rather than lurking this time, wl few hours ago - declined. Gl everyone !

Last edited by a moderator:
So what's the actual chance of us getting off the waitlist? Consensus seems torn on whether or not it is 500 on the list with like 20 getting off or far far less

So what's the actual chance of us getting off the waitlist? Consensus seems torn on whether or not it is 500 on the list with like 20 getting off or far far less
It is what it is

Edit: there's a lot of discussion about how many people actually are on the waitlist/how many they pull. The way I look at it, I would be thrilled to wake up one morning in May and get a call on my phone. However, it doesn't matter what the chances are if they don't give me the call.

Last edited:
It is what it is
Exactly. They don’t give post-II R from what I’ve gathered so the WL is more or less a Hail Mary. Yes you technically have a chance at getting off, albeit small. I’m personally just taking the WL as a soft R.

Reactions: 2 users
When we say they don’t give out post II R’s, does that mean that everyone who doesn’t get an acceptance gets WL’d? Or does that mean that the people who get rejected aren’t notified.

It doesn’t really make sense to me that they would put EVERYONE who interviewed on their WL…

It also doesn’t line up with the numbers they put in the WL FAQ

When we say they don’t give out post II R’s, does that mean that everyone who doesn’t get an acceptance gets WL’d? Or does that mean that the people who get rejected aren’t notified.

It doesn’t really make sense to me that they would put EVERYONE who interviewed on their WL…
There are a handful of schools that have a practice of waitlisting all non-accepted interviewees, and based on threads in past years, it seems like UPenn is one of those schools. If you interviewed, they have to give you some kind of admissions decision so I don't think they'd just silently reject people. Maybe it just is the case that a good chunk of people end up withdrawing their applications?

There are a handful of schools that have a practice of waitlisting all non-accepted interviewees, and based on threads in past years, it seems like UPenn is one of those schools. If you interviewed, they have to give you some kind of admissions decision so I don't think they'd just silently reject people. Maybe it just is the case that a good chunk of people end up withdrawing their applications?
Yeah, I wonder if the number on the FAQ is how many people stay on the waitlist until the very end of the cycle? Those who elect to matriculate at another institution generally withdraw from the WL, which might explain the discrepancy?

the "acceptance statement" page that has all the terms we have to like check statments at bottom or whatever is nonbinding/we should fill that out even if we're not sure on Penn right?

ya... the FAQ says:

"The list ranges from a larger number (250) in March to a reduced size (50) later in the year (June). Reductions occur by self-selection or Committee action."

I imagine 250 is just how many people initially accept their waitlist position in March, which is a little surprising to me? But like someone else said, it is what it is haha. Seems like the chances are small, but we already knew that. Best of luck to everyone!

Am I reading this wrong, or does this mean the adcom re-reviews the waitlist and rejects people periodically?
Sounds like it. Some schools do this as spots dwindle, probably out of courtesy for waitlisted applicants (aka not creating a sense of "false hope")

Does anyone have a link for the FB group? The one in the portal doesn't work for me

yeah they set it up in a weird way that only the first 20 students who use the link can join.

nothing here, i have a feeling it might be next week? bc last year scholarships were march 24th ish, but acceptances went out almost a week earlier last year as well (i think, correct me if i'm wrong). but dunno

Last edited:
nothing here, i have a feeling it might be next week? bc last year scholarships were march 24th ish, but acceptances went out almost a week earlier last year as well (i think, correct me if i'm wrong). but dunno
I thought financial aid packages were coming around April 6th? Maybe I'm mixing things up - also maybe the scholarships are distinct from those aid packages

I thought financial aid packages were coming around April 6th? Maybe I'm mixing things up - also maybe the scholarships are distinct from those aid packages
sorry to bother quick q - do you remember where you heard April 6th? j wondering if it might be tomorrow

@Jens825 did you get the 21st century scholarship? And does it show your financial aid tab? Nothing for me there

@Jens825 did you get the 21st century scholarship? And does it show your financial aid tab? Nothing for me there
It showed up at the top of the admissions decision financial aid page. I think it depends on when you submitted your FAFSA, CSS profile, etc. So some people might be earlier than others?

Last edited:
FA also shows up for me. And yes to 21st Century, I am so so grateful. Hopefully my parents can retire now

FA also shows up for me. And yes to 21st Century, I am so so grateful. Hopefully my parents can retire now
Congrats! Does the 21st century scholarship show up in the finaid award letter or is it a separate letter?

Congrats! Does the 21st century scholarship show up in the finaid award letter or is it a separate letter?
It's in a separate letter but the amount got added into finaid award letter for me as "scholarship funding"

Did Perelman just close their entire waitlist?

• Sad
Dang that sucks :( I guess it was nice of them to tell you as soon as they made a decision tho. I haven’t gotten any news but maybe they just haven’t sent out all their R’s yet 😥

Btw has Penn had a second look event yet? If so, does anyone who went have an idea of how much the waitlist will move after talking to other accepted students? I saw people talking about this on the Duke thread and i want to get led on as much as possible lol

Wait what did the email say? I was waitlisted, but I haven't gotten any email yet about a closed waitlist...