2021-2022 University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @augusthopeful for sharing this year's questions!

2021-2022 University of Washington Secondary Essay Prompts:
5 additional short essays (250-word limit each)

1. How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?
2. What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?
3. What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?
4. How have societal inequities in the U.S. affected you or patients you have worked with?
5. Please share how COVID-19 has impacted you, your family, your community, and/or the patients that you would like to serve. (NEW for the Fall 2022 cycle)
6. For re-applicants: From your most recent application until now, how have you strengthened your application?
7. For re-applicants not offered an interview, read more.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OOS applicants/accepted students from previous years, tell me about yourself! I love this school and am really hoping to at least try to attend (FL resident). From my understanding, UWash loves students with many many hours of volunteering. What do your stats look like in that regard and why do you think you have a chance/got in?

OOS applicants/accepted students from previous years, tell me about yourself! I love this school and am really hoping to at least try to attend (FL resident). From my understanding, UWash loves students with many many hours of volunteering. What do your stats look like in that regard and why do you think you have a chance/got in?
It may be hard to find these students as UW accepts 96% from the WWAMI region. According to their website out of 5k+ out of region applications only 96 are invited to complete secondaries and out of those about half interview and around 20 matriculate. I would imagine these students had strong ties to the area and a commitment to serving this area reflected in their essays

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get secondaries? I know UW screens but just trying to get a timeline on essay writing

does anyone have an idea of how long it takes to get secondaries? I know UW screens but just trying to get a timeline on essay writing
It will probably be one of your last secondaries received. They always send theirs out later. Last year I received my secondary on August 24th, although last year's cycle was delayed by a couple weeks too. If my memory is correct, they screen primaries for OOR applicants first and send the supplemental application to those OOR applicants before they send secondaries.

Do any of y'all know if they ghost the OOS donations? (Or will we get an email confirming they got the primary or something similar)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurking accepted E21 student here. UW's secondary essays are all posted on their website. They don't change year to year. I had mine written well before I got the secondary.

Also, as a tip, the required Casper test isn't offered very often, so make sure you check out the schedule for that as soon as you get your secondary.

Also a lurking E21 student here (non-trad/reapplicant) willing to help out.

Just a reminder for MSTP applicants that the UW preliminary application opens up today. This is a required step or all MD/PhD applicants. The portal can be accessed in the link below by clicking “I am a new applicant”

For MD only, this does not apply to you.

Just a reminder for MSTP applicants that the UW preliminary application opens up today. This is a required step or all MD/PhD applicants. The portal can be accessed in the link below by clicking “I am a new applicant”

Thanks for this, I had no idea this was a step we had to take

FYI- Their residency qualifications changed this year, they are much simpler now I'm thinking (hoping) we won't have to go through the annoying process past years had to go through w/ residency verification

For the question "Please use this opportunity to supplement the research experience section from your AMCAS application. (Information from both AMCAS and UW MSTP applications will be reviewed together.) Enter information about each experience individually." did you use this as only new experiences not listed on AMCAS or just re list the ones? Im confused since it says both will be utilized but also to supplement?

For the question "Please use this opportunity to supplement the research experience section from your AMCAS application. (Information from both AMCAS and UW MSTP applications will be reviewed together.) Enter information about each experience individually." did you use this as only new experiences not listed on AMCAS or just re list the ones? Im confused since it says both will be utilized but also to supplement?
I am going in to more depth on an experience which is only mentioned in passing in my primary. I don’t see the purpose in repeating the primary.

Members don't see this ad :)
will you post all of the prompts please?

Does anyone know how Washington uses CASPER? Like a cutoff, or does our score actually matter?

Does anyone know how Washington uses CASPER? Like a cutoff, or does our score actually matter?
Reportidly, in years past they've only gathered CASPER data for internal analysis and consideration for future future cycles. So, currently it's not used. I think it's even blinded to the adcom. I think I heard this at an info session or podcast with the director of admissions... Can someone corroborate?

Reactions: 1 users
Reportidly, in years past they've only gathered CASPER data for internal analysis and consideration for future future cycles. So, currently it's not used. I think it's even blinded to the adcom. I think I heard this at an info session or podcast with the director of admissions... Can someone corroborate?
I have heard the same thing of past cycles, however they have been utilizing for 3 or 4 years now so they MIGHT have data they need by now. I still wouldn’t worry about the weight, though.

I have heard the same thing of past cycles, however they have been utilizing for 3 or 4 years now so they MIGHT have data they need by now. I still wouldn’t worry about the weight, though.
Ok fam - I've done some digging. In 11/2019 Stella Yee (Director of Admissions) on the Case Western Reserve U med school admissions podcast, she said that CASPER was required but blinded and not used for admissions (link to episode - see ~42 minutes in). However, she also said that they aim to be super transparent and keep their website updated... currently the CASPER page says that it will be considered, but that duet and snapshot are not required or used. Also, the information session for E22 (link ← this channel also has two info sessions for reapplicants that I think are worthwhile for anybody applying) they talk about how CASPER is used in the admissions process. So no recent mentions of not utilizing CASPER...

tl;dr - It seems CASPER is required AND they use it in the admissions process.

Ok fam - I've done some digging. In 11/2019 Stella Yee (Director of Admissions) on the Case Western Reserve U med school admissions podcast, she said that CASPER was required but blinded and not used for admissions (link to episode - see ~42 minutes in). However, she also said that they aim to be super transparent and keep their website updated... currently the CASPER page says that it will be considered, but that duet and snapshot are not required or used. Also, the information session for E22 (link ← this channel also has two info sessions for reapplicants that I think are worthwhile for anybody applying) they talk about how CASPER is used in the admissions process. So no recent mentions of not utilizing CASPER...

tl;dr - It seems CASPER is required AND they use it in the admissions process.
However, they are utilizing the *Exact* same verbiage that every other school is using. I think they have entered a phase of formal multi-school research where they need to standardize the student interpretations of the exam regardless of the source material for where one learns of Casper.

This is a quote from UW's MSTP secondary regarding CA$PER. I'm not sure if it applies to the entire medical school, but they sound like they are still collecting data while NOT using CA$PER for any admissions decisions.

"The University of Washington School of Medicine is piloting the CASPer situational judgement test, and will collect scores but not use them in admissions decisions...
We will use the results of the assessment as information only to determine its utility in our current admissions process. Test results will NOT be used for admissions decisions. CASPer test results are valid for one admissions cycle. Applicants who have already taken the test in previous years must re-take it."

When does WashU give out secondaries it is July 20 what is going on. This is ridiculous lol. Last year the transmitted apps 7/10 and someone recieved their secondary 07/18 also do they prescreen or give automatic interviews
This is the University of Washington, are you referring to the Washington University thread? Last year nobody got a secondary here until August/early September.

When does WashU give out secondaries it is July 20 what is going on. This is ridiculous lol. Last year the transmitted apps 7/10 and someone recieved their secondary 07/18 also do they prescreen or give automatic interviews
This is university of Washington not Washington university.

Oh yea thats what I meant uni of wash lol

Also do we need to take CASPER before we get a secondary

To other MSTP applicants, how long did you have your “how did you hear about … “?

Last edited:
There already sending out secondaries rejections lol???? While i havent even recieved one

For MSTP applicants:
How are you approaching the "Supplement your AMCAS PS" essay? Diversity? Why UW? Would've appreciated a bit more guidance from them.

For MSTP applicants:
How are you approaching the "Supplement your AMCAS PS" essay? Diversity? Why UW? Would've appreciated a bit more guidance from them.
I used a statement of purpose style essay, similar to the ones Columbia and UCLA ask for, more geared towards the PhD side.

Nah this school sucks lol what are they doing. I feel like we wont hear back from admissions till kanye drops the album lol

• Haha
For those MSTP that were denied, did you get a confirmation email from University or Washington for primary application or for the Preliminary?

I have a question so for the WAMMI applicants. Do all WAMMI applicants get secondaries?
Also,
I emailed the university they said in the next couple weeks they will be sending emails do to system update and shutdown.

I have a question so for the WAMMI applicants. Do all WAMMI applicants get secondaries?
Also,
I emailed the university they said in the next couple weeks they will be sending emails do to system update and shutdown.
Meaning that they’ll be sending out secondaries in the next few weeks?

^^ I believe so because they usually sent out secondary late august. Also has any OOR students not taken the CASPER because I havent but is it required. Because from last year thread some people recieved secondary without CASPER because if its not taken into account for admission its not needed????? Also should we be hearing about secondaries this week??

^^ I believe so because they usually sent out secondary late august. Also has any OOR students not taken the CASPER because I havent but is it required. Because from last year thread some people recieved secondary without CASPER because if its not taken into account for admission its not needed????? Also should we be hearing about secondaries this week??
They screen for secondaries for OOR. You may get a mission statement form you have to fill out, and then they may send a secondary. These go out around the same time as IS secondary apps.

The CASPER is required to process your application.

When will they be updating their class 2021 stats? Anyone knows?

Not yet and also they will be sending secondaries in the next couple weeks. Wishing I get in!