2022-2023 Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, this twice-as-well trained medical student just got a job #Match2023

Good luck y'all!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah vandy. I placed Houston above Temple but that’s how the die rolled. And congrats @Kracin !! Love you little dude!!
All my daily bar visit plans are shattered!
Throwing a party tomorrow to celebrate someone getting into UTMB.

Attachments

• IMG-20230316-WA0018.jpeg
    IMG-20230316-WA0018.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 154
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any more information on how campus re-assignment process will work? On website it says you must go through “appeals process”, but it doesn’t say what that process is. I matched to Temple and the main reason I placed Baylor over UTSW was because my parents live 10 min away from the school and I was planning on living with them. According to their website though, this isn’t enough for reconsideration. And will people off the waitlist get first consideration for the Houston campus before people who were assigned to Temple?

Anyone have any more information on how campus re-assignment process will work? On website it says you must go through “appeals process”, but it doesn’t say what that process is. I matched to Temple and the main reason I placed Baylor over UTSW was because my parents live 10 min away from the school and I was planning on living with them. According to their website though, this isn’t enough for reconsideration. And will people off the waitlist get first consideration for the Houston campus before people who were assigned to Temple?

I asked Dr Vallejo about campus assignment from the waitlist and he made it sound like anyone pulled off the waitlist would go to the campus spot that was relinquished. ie Houston withdrawal -> Houston spot for WL student

Surprising that free room and board is not a consideration for assigning campus.

I would be curious how many listed Temple as their number 1 or whether 95% listed Houston while some are ok with Temple.

I heard from some who would have been ok with Temple but they didnt match.

I asked Dr Vallejo about campus assignment from the waitlist and he made it sound like anyone pulled off the waitlist would go to the campus spot that was relinquished. ie Houston withdrawal -> Houston spot for WL student
When did you ask that, just wondering? It sounds different from their official communications before the match, but I’m no expert.

When did you ask that, just wondering? It sounds different from their official communications before the match, but I’m no expert.

I asked Monday! I was debating giving up my position on the waitlist so asked about some things that concerned me. Here’s what he said exactly:
IMG_7864.jpg

I asked Monday! I was debating giving up my position on the waitlist so asked about some things that concerned me. Here’s what he said exactly:View attachment 367898
Thanks. I think your interpretation that they put a WL person in a spot that opens up could be correct, but they could also fill the vacancies in Houston by giving first dibs to someone already admitted. The way he wrote it is unclear in my opinion.

Another interesting thing about his response is that he seems to suggest rolling admission from the waitlist whereas the waitlist MSAR info said they vote on April 30 whether to open up their waitlist. Sigh…

Thanks. I think your interpretation that they put a WL person in a spot that opens up could be correct, but they could also fill the vacancies in Houston by giving first dibs to someone already admitted. The way he wrote it is unclear in my opinion.

Another interesting thing about his response is that he seems to suggest rolling admission from the waitlist whereas the waitlist MSAR info said they vote on April 30 whether to open up their waitlist. Sigh…

You’re right! The more I read it the more ambiguous it sounds. I’m happy with either campus so I’m keeping my hat in the ring but it will be interesting to see if there is any movement before April 30

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Historically Baylor has admitted people some towards end of April and some first to second week of May. This voting business to OPEN sounds wrong and may be they actually mean they vote to select people on the waitlist.

A school has to fill open seats if they dont have all seats filled. There is nothing to vote about that.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I remember when I pre matched they stated that admitted students would have first dibs to change campus before WL students did.

I am sorry for those that didn’t get their first choice ):

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I remember when I pre matched they stated that admitted students would have first dibs to change campus before WL students did.

I am sorry for those that didn’t get their first choice ):

Found the email
IMG_7820.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

I am hoping this is the case. On their website, they say you must go through the appeals process to request a campus re-assignment, but no description of said process is given. Hoping that a formal letter stating my housing situation will help. Not the biggest deal in the world city-wise because Baylor is Baylor, but being in Houston would save a significant and necessary amount of money.

I am hoping this is the case. On their website, they say you must go through the appeals process to request a campus re-assignment, but no description of said process is given. Hoping that a formal letter stating my housing situation will help. Not the biggest deal in the world city-wise because Baylor is Baylor, but being in Houston would save a significant and necessary amount of money.
I know Baylor has its name and prestige but was wondering will residencies have a bias against students in the Temple location. Most of the fame comes from it's Houston campus and I don't know how Temple's match list will look.

Also, what's the appeal process like?

• Okay...
I know Baylor has its name and prestige but was wondering will residencies have a bias against students in the Temple location. Most of the fame comes from it's Houston campus and I don't know how Temple's match list will look.

Sam-Elliott-Tombstone-Autographed-Signed-11x14-Photo-Certified-2.jpg

It ain't the city that makes Baylor great, it's the teaching, accomplishments, opportunities and mentorship.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

To give you a very crude idea of a potential match list for Temple, look at Mayo’s Arizona match list. They opened a brand new campus and their first year class had a phenomenal match.

As wysdoc said, it isn’t the location that makes baylor great but the faculty, opportunities and curriculum

View attachment 367936

It ain't the city that makes Baylor great, it's the teaching, accomplishments, opportunities and mentorship.
I understand that but I feel that the Houston campus provides so much more opportunities simply by being in the medical center. There's more sites to do rotations and build connections.

From what I have noticed A&M Temple people have done well historically. I found a guy who got in from there to MGH integrated vascular surgery residency, a rare possibility when there is only one or two seats per year in any program and MGH is as elite as it can get.

• Love
I feel like temple has more of a close relationship with physicians and the students (at least during ms1 with only 40 people). The red letters are going to be good and you get more patients to yourself and don’t share with other schools. And the cost of living and parking will be cheaper too

I feel like temple has more of a close relationship with physicians and the students (at least during ms1 with only 40 people). The red letters are going to be good and you get more patients to yourself and don’t share with other schools. And the cost of living and parking will be cheaper too
Yeah, I definitely considered that to.

Last edited:
Based on a poll in the GroupMe, about 23% (32/139) of people did not get their first-choice campus... something to keep in mind for future applicants who sacrifice other acceptances to match here.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Those of you who would like them to reconsider your placement can of course ask to be switched if the opportunity arises.
If you do, give some valid reasons and write it in a mature and respectful manner.

Based on a poll in the GroupMe, about 23% (32/139) of people did not get their first-choice campus... something to keep in mind for future applicants who sacrifice other acceptances to match here.
One thing to keep in mind is that there are around 100 people who didn't answer the poll, most of whom probably got their first choice because they did not care enough to answer/were not panicked enough to check the group chat. I know its a big assumption but if I had not matched to my first choice I would have been in that groupchat so fast looking for answers. Its probably lower like 15-20 percent.

Reactions: 2 users
One thing to keep in mind is that there are around 100 people who didn't answer the poll, most of whom probably got their first choice because they did not care enough to answer/were not panicked enough to check the group chat. I know its a big assumption but if I had not matched to my first choice I would have been in that groupchat so fast looking for answers. Its probably lower like 15-20 percent.

How large is the class? 32/class size will give you a better estimate

How large is the class? 32/class size will give you a better estimate
There are 277 people in the gc but there are a few current BCM students so more along the lines 250. Im sure some people who didn't answer also didn't match to their top choice so I just assumed the percentage would be in a range close to 15%

do y’all in the 2027 cohort know anyone that ranked Temple #1 and did not receive their first choice? given the hesitancy re: temple this cycle, assuming the 32 respondents all ranked Houston #1, that would mean 80% of the temple class did not want to be at temple? or am I way off here?

do y’all in the 2027 cohort know anyone that ranked Temple #1 and did not receive their first choice? given the hesitancy re: temple this cycle, assuming the 32 respondents all ranked Houston #1, that would mean 80% of the temple class did not want to be at temple? or am I way off here?
No you’re right.

We had a separate private poll in the temple chat and a vast majority are emailing appeals and are foaming at the mouth. Will it work? Who knows.

• Sad
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
We had a separate private poll in the temple chat and a vast majority are emailing appeals and are foaming at the mouth. Will it work? Who knows.
I mean, really poorly handled on Baylor’s end. I was given the impression throughout the application cycle that you would be able to indicate supplemental info (eg a spouse in the area) when selecting preference, but then it was just a drop-down. I wish you and the other temple students the best - hope it resolves.

Does anyone know if Baylor is requesting transcripts at this time? If so, where do we send our transcripts to?
I just called, and the lady I spoke with stated that they do not handle transcripts and we only need to send it to TMDSAS. She said we could send it to them but they won't do anything with it.

• Hmm
I am guessing for people who are already done with school, the transcript is already complete and only those who are currently in school still owe the final semester which is not due yet.

I just called, and the lady I spoke with stated that they do not handle transcripts and we only need to send it to TMDSAS. She said we could send it to them but they won't do anything with it.
I think we do need to send them. This is what it says in the AMP portal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.32.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 11.32.50 AM.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 169
I think we do need to send them. This is what it says in the AMP portal.
I just spoke with a person on the phone so not sure what to say. That’s what they told me, but yes I was under the impression we would have to send it too. Maybe the lady was mistaken but she sounded confident

I just spoke with a person on the phone so not sure what to say. That’s what they told me
It sounds like it won't hurt anything to send it, so if you're worried about it, I would just send them anyway

It sounds like it won't hurt anything to send it, so if you're worried about it, I would just send them anyway
My schools charge me every time I need to send a transcript, so I’m just going to save my money until I get an email from them. I’ll take her word at face value.

For those looking at this thread next cycle, I want to say that my experience did not cause me to feel misled by Baylor. They told us at open house & interview day that campus assignment would be a “second match” where you rank Baylor/Temple/Nopref as 1/2/3. We were updated in January that already accepted applicants would be given the opportunity to take relinquished seats at their desired campus prior to waitlist applicants. I felt I had sufficient information to make my rankings in Feb.

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone who is a current student willing to send me your daily schedule? I'm trying to figure out what the attendance requirements for pre-clinical look like. From what I remember in my interview day they said we'd have 3 days off each week designated for independent study.
Also can anyone share what a normal day during clinical time looks like?

Anyone who is a current student willing to send me your daily schedule? I'm trying to figure out what the attendance requirements for pre-clinical look like. From what I remember in my interview day they said we'd have 3 days off each week designated for independent study.
A typical day during preclinical: 4 hours of lectures 8 AM-noon. Either in-person or stream team. Then 2-3 days a week some required "doctoring" class where you learn to evaluate information, present patients, do the doctor stuff.

A typical day during clinics: 5 days a week (6/wk some rotationsi. Show up at 7 AM to pre-round, go to the resident's conference 8-9 AM, round with the team 9- noon. Lecture geared towards medical students 12-1 PM. Continue helping the team with their duties until 4-5 PM. Go home, open UWorld, study for another 2 hours. Finish 8pm. Rinse, repeat.

I'm pretty sure they just revamped the curriculum. I think theres some pretty valuable info in the group me though for CO2027. Hours can vary especially for outpatient, but for standard inpatient, expect to start around 7 or earlier for surgery.