2022-2023 Jefferson (Kimmel)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But if this prompt on Sidney Kimmel is required, then there's no choice but to write something, right? Is Sidney Kimmel's second prompt optional or required? If it's optional, I'm thinking about leaving it blank if there's nothing significant I can add to this question.
It's optional

Members don't see this ad.

But if this prompt on Sidney Kimmel is required, then there's no choice but to write something, right? Is Sidney Kimmel's second prompt optional or required? If it's optional, I'm thinking about leaving it blank if there's nothing significant I can add to this question.
I mean, if it is required, it is required, lol. The post was just talking about something else about optional questions, not much the actual question itself.

Reactions: 1 user
Are those of you without the recommended letter types actually asking admissions for an exception? If so, how are you going about it? It doesn't seem like they have a process in place for this so I'm wondering if it's necessary.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To those who got II and did not have the preferred letters of recommendation, did you send an exemption/explanation of why you didn’t sent those particular letters in?

Reactions: 1 users
On a related note, I have 6 LORs, 1 from my professor who taught both my Bio I and intro Biochemistry courses, 1 from a professor of another Biochemistry Course, 1 doctor I shadowed, 2 LORs from the PIs of my past and current research labs, and 1 LOR from a longtime mentor of mine who's now an associate dean at an Ivy League School. Despite Sidney Kimmel's LOR preferences, will I be fine if I apply for that exemption request?

Submitted secondary 7/22, II received 7/26!!! OOS & RD (and didn't have the LORs they preffered-- 1 microbiology prof, 1 history prof, 1 genetics prof, 1 MD PI, 1 PhD PI)

Reactions: 5 users
it's like Jefferson rly knows who they want and they are determined to get those kids ASAP :lol:

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted secondary 7/22, II received 7/26!!! OOS & RD (and didn't have the LORs they preffered-- 1 microbiology prof, 1 history prof, 1 genetics prof, 1 MD PI, 1 PhD PI)
When invited to the secondary, do you recommend submitting secondaries right away once you complete it or do you recommend having it reviewed by friends/revised for a couple of days before submitting the secondary?

When invited to the secondary, do you recommend submitting secondaries right away once you complete it or do you recommend having it reviewed by friends/revised for a couple of days before submitting the secondary?

A couple of days will have 0 impact on your application. Even a couple of weeks won't. Submit your secondary when it is at its strongest, whether that's today or next week.

How did you guys respond to the Covid prompt? I find it pretty vague. I talked about one thing that was very personal that happened to me but I have no idea how that experience informed me on how to give equitable and inclusive care lmao

A couple of days will have 0 impact on your application. Even a couple of weeks won't. Submit your secondary when it is at its strongest, whether that's today or next week.
So getting a quality, like a 100% great, secondary written in 3-4 weeks is more important than getting a 70-80% good secondary written in 2 weeks?

How did you guys respond to the Covid prompt? I find it pretty vague. I talked about one thing that was very personal that happened to me but I have no idea how that experience informed me on how to give equitable and inclusive care lmao
I wrote a paragraph about how things changed for me and used a detail from that to transition to what I learned throughout the pandemic.

Not sure if this is what they were looking for but my plans changing didn't really teach me much so this was the best I could do lol

So getting a quality, like a 100% great, secondary written in 3-4 weeks is more important than getting a 70-80% good secondary written in 2 weeks?
Yea. We still early enough for this. I’d say be done with all secondaries by mid august if ya can

Their secondary application says, "To complete your application, please submit this form with your application fee within two (2)weeks." Anyone know if this is a hard deadline? Had to wait for my laptop to be fixed, so my secondaries have been delayed :( Is it still worth turning in, or am I wasting my money?

Their secondary application says, "To complete your application, please submit this form with your application fee within two (2)weeks." Anyone know if this is a hard deadline? Had to wait for my laptop to be fixed, so my secondaries have been delayed :( Is it still worth turning in, or am I wasting my money?
Sidney Kimmel has a 2-week hard deadline for secondaries? Oh dang, maybe I didn't read carefully.

I think i was technically complete on day 15 b/c it was after midnight :/

if you talk to the admissions office about this let us know b/c now i'm worried lol

I think i was technically complete on day 15 b/c it was after midnight :/

if you talk to the admissions office about this let us know b/c now i'm worried lol
I reached out and was told it's not a hard deadline, they just want students to be prompt in submitting, so I think we're both good! :)

Secondary received on 7/23, submitted on 7/25. Interview received today.

IS reapplicant that works at Jefferson.

Secondary received on 7/23, submitted on 7/25. Interview received today.

IS reapplicant that works at Jefferson.
jesus 3 day turn around? you got the X factor my friend

Reactions: 3 users
n=1 but long time lurker with very average stats, I’m a current MS1 who got my II invite in March. Their cycle is very long, and they try very hard to form a great class! Over 11,000 applicants last cycle. It’s never over till it’s over. That being said I hope yalll get IIs soon! But play the end game!

Reactions: 8 users
n=1 but long time lurker with very average stats, I’m a current MS1 who got my II invite in March. Their cycle is very long, and they try very hard to form a great class! Over 11,000 applicants last cycle. It’s never over till it’s over. That being said I hope yalll get IIs soon! But play the end game!
when did you submit?

I submitted my primary (already verified) mid July and then the II the same day it was received because I pre wrote
II= interview invite, I think you meant secondary. I was making the same mistake for the longest time haha!

Hey all
In my portal in the document status, it said all my LORs are received but in the application status tab it says they are not. Does anyone know why?

For the COVID question, did you guys discuss positive impacts in addition to any negative impacts or only focus on the negatives?

For the COVID question, did you guys discuss positive impacts in addition to any negative impacts or only focus on the negatives?
So I've heard that you should discuss how you overcame the negative impacts and also put a positive spin on it.

@Mr.Smile12 Hi, what do you think about this question? Was the response I said right?

Does Jefferson send IIs in batches? If so, how often do they release them? Weekly? Daily? Whenever they want?

Reactions: 4 users
I would imagine whenever they want. But I am just applying this cycle so no clue.
Okay because last week several people got IIs but I haven’t heard from them or this thread this week so I’m getting kinda worried

Okay because last week several people got IIs but I haven’t heard from them or this thread this week so I’m getting kinda worried
Soooo how interviews work is that there are batches I think. And so perhaps maybe 20% were sent out so far? So there is 80% still left I wouldn't worry this process is pretty random

I know it's early in the cycle but I'm just looking for advice about updates. I was promoted very soon after submitting my secondary, which I submitted June 24th. Would it be reasonable to update now regarding my new position? This is one of the only schools where I didn't mention it in my secondary

I’ve heard mixed reviews on this, but generally most updates are considered pretty small and should be held for letters of intent in the purgatory between interview and final answer. I wouldn’t wait that long to mention your new position per se but give it a few more weeks in case they offer you an II without it and then after you interview you can send an update and LOI with this info. It’s still too early for most IIs

This school though seems more receptive to updates (especially post interview) than any other school I’ve seen on here so you probably are losing nothing by updating earlier rather than later. My advice is just try to plan it so that the update carries the most value to them, and timing can affect value
Thanks, that's really helpful! I think I'll wait a bit

complete 7/4... no change in status... low MCAT score but crossing my fingers.

Reactions: 5 users
I’ve heard mixed reviews on this, but generally most updates are considered pretty small and should be held for letters of intent in the purgatory between interview and final answer. I wouldn’t wait that long to mention your new position per se but give it a few more weeks in case they offer you an II without it and then after you interview you can send an update and LOI with this info. It’s still too early for most IIs

This school though seems more receptive to updates (especially post interview) than any other school I’ve seen on here so you probably are losing nothing by updating earlier rather than later. My advice is just try to plan it so that the update carries the most value to them, and timing can affect value
How do update letters work? Like lets say I get published. Could I give that info to the school even if I didn't get an interview invite? I've noticed all the school secondary portals have a place where you can upload extra documentation

Yes you can! You can upload them there and then email them to let them know you uploaded something.
If I have a manuscript that's submitted, but it's not officially reviewed and published yet until another few weeks out, say 6-8 weeks (6 weeks review time, about 1 week to publish), is it still worth sending the manuscript?

Congrats on the submission!

From what I have heard, generally, it is only worth updating with a manuscript has been accepted for publication (not necessarily published, but at least accepted). At this point it is also quite early—no reason to risk what could be a strong update with something that could come off as premature.
Ah gotcha. Also, it's not submitted yet. My systematic review won't be submitted until likely the end of this month, my PI expects. Based on Elsevier's info, the journal has a 6.1 week review time and a 0.9 week publishing time, thought idk how long the review process will actually take if they ask for a lot of revisions within a certain deadline. So it likely won't be published until mid-October more or less. Will giving an update in mid-October still be good or too late of an update in the interview season?