2023-2024 Florida International (FIU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted a couple weeks ago. I have seen online with many US programs that there are problems with attrition, professionalism, general support, and student interactions with admin. Is this something to worry about at HWCOM and how have they changed over the last couple years to improve? This weighs heavily on my decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything in the last several weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess if I have not received invitation by now, the Dec process is over. Hoping for Jan. 2024?

Has anyone been waitlisted? Do you know when they may call off of the wait list? Thanks

Has anyone been waitlisted? Do you know when they may call off of the wait list? Thanks
I have been.. unfortunately. Assuming it’s May. I also don’t think FIU is that friendly with their WL movement, someone correct me if I’m wrong

Reactions: 1 user
Waiting still 🙏

Reactions: 3 users
I submitted around the end of July and have the same stats and mission fit, and I’ve received nothing. Guess we need to keep waiting folks. Lots of my friends last cycle received invites in January so I assume this school tends to have a later cycle 🤷‍♂️

Members don't see this ad :)
any current students know how lenient FIU is with deferral requests?

is fiu gaining baptist facilities as a primary teaching hospital for students or will M3s as of right now still have to rotate around multiple clinical sites? randomly saw it on the news. i know theyre building a hospital with baptist on fiu grounds, but idk if that's the transition they were talking about
Rotations are at Sanitas and other clinical sites

Is FIU friendly with their waitlist movement? Anyone know?

Is FIU friendly with their waitlist movement? Anyone know?
ive heard 25-35 pp for in state, its a commuter school so a lot in IS applicants from FIU end up staying there. Not sure about OOS

Has anyone submitted an update to their app via the portal and then emailed the [email protected] email to confirm if they received it or not? If so, did they ever reply to you?

I think it's been pass/fail
I believe you're right. The stepUp curriculum started with class of 2027 . So only has been used for a year. Just wondering if this is better then what was used years prior. It seems the older schools use the pass/fail which is preferred by students.

We were p/f before the new curriculum. If you received 75+ in the course, you passed and it is reported "P" on your transcript. We were ranked. I am not sure how the new grading systems works.

We were p/f before the new curriculum. If you received 75+ in the course, you passed and it is reported "P" on your transcript. We were ranked. I am not sure how the new grading systems works.

I read online that although it’s p/f there are still class rankings…

I was accepted a couple weeks ago. I have seen online with many US programs that there are problems with attrition, professionalism, general support, and student interactions with admin. Is this something to worry about at HWCOM and how have they changed over the last couple years to improve? This weighs heavily on my decision.

I read online that although it’s p/f there are still class rankings…
Is that consider students being ranked in quartiles?
Older students were p/f and ranked in quartiles. I do not know about rankings for those under the Step Up curriculum, might be a good question for Admissions.

Have my interview coming up and wanted to ask anyone how the interviews are like in nature? And is it traditional?

Have my interview coming up and wanted to ask anyone how the interviews are like in nature? And is it traditional?
Traditional, 30 minutes with student and 30 minutes will fiu administrator. Very casual and I really enjoyed the interview.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
Anyone OOS, complete late August receive an II?

OOS - is it worth sending a letter of interest - any hope of getting II?

OOS - is it worth sending a letter of interest - any hope of getting II?
Definitely send it. You have absolutely nothing to lose. I sent one 3 weeks ago and I might send another one next week lol

Definitely send it. You have absolutely nothing to lose. I sent one 3 weeks ago and I might send another one next week lol
Can I ask, when you send a LOI do you include updates? Because I'm super interested in FIU, but don't have any major updates (just more volunteering and started working at a romance book store LOL). I feel like a LOI without updates is kind of moot. Any advice?

Can I ask, when you send a LOI do you include updates? Because I'm super interested in FIU, but don't have any major updates (just more volunteering and started working at a romance book store LOL). I feel like a LOI without updates is kind of moot. Any advice?
So I included the updates to my LOI. My updates were new grades from the winter semester and a new volunteering experience.

I can see why you would think it’s kind of moot, but we haven’t received an II and April is around the corner. What do you have to lose at this point, especially if FIU is one of your top choices. That’s my mentality lol.

Just weird how nobody's reported an interview here for a while. Last year's thread was pretty active.

A letter of interest and an update letter are two different things. A letter of interest is for you to let the school know you are interested while the update letter is to provide updates when it comes to volunteering... or whatever the case might be.

Just weird how nobody's reported an interview here for a while. Last year's thread was pretty active.
Same with FSU. I haven't seen January interviews reported for both FSU and FIU.