2023-2024 North Carolina - Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Friend received a call this morning about a full tuition scholarship…. Fingers crossed the rest of us hear back about aid soon.
When did they get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checking that we aren't supposed to receive any kind of confirmation when we accept our spot on the waitlist? I'm getting paranoid lol

you were accepted off the waitlist or are you asking if there is a notification we get when we come off the waitlist?
neither. I'm making sure when we accepted our spot ON the waitlist (that needs to be done by 4/8) that they didn't send any kind of confirmation of doing that.

Reactions: 1 user
Did they give out more information at second look regarding when financial aid notifications would be released?

Did they give out more information at second look regarding when financial aid notifications would be released?
Not really that I can remember. They basically said that with FAFSA being delayed, it could take until the beginning of the semester, but to keep an eye on our emails for any further info.

Not really that I can remember. They basically said that with FAFSA being delayed, it could take until the beginning of the semester, but to keep an eye on our emails for any further info.
Was this inclusive of merit or need-based aid? It's hard to imagine that they would delay aid offers when some may be using the price tag as a key deciding factor.

The scholarship representative stated that they are starting to send scholarship notifications. They said that the majority of recipients will be notified in the next 1.5 months but you could hear back as late as July depending.

Is anyone else waitlisted but doesnt see UNC on the choose your med school tool? The other school I’m waitlisted at is on there as “Alternate List”.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad’s pre-med advisor told me yesterday that someone from my school was pulled from the waitlist during the first week of April… not sure how accurate this is/if it’s even true because that would be super early haha

My undergrad’s pre-med advisor told me yesterday that someone from my school was pulled from the waitlist during the first week of April… not sure how accurate this is/if it’s even true because that would be super early haha
this cycle?

Idk about yall, but I wouldn’t trust my pre med advisor with anything 😂. Hopefully yours knows their stuff tho haha

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Can any admitted students update us waitlisters with any insight on if many people are planning on dropping unc?

I don’t have any updates, but I will say 3 people have left the GroupMe!

Reactions: 1 users
Usually UNC has a good amount of waitlist movement, I think conservatively around 60-70 get in each year off the waitlist, so there is hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if UNC is a ranked waitlist or if it's the type where they go by demographics? Meaning if an instate male ORM withdraws acceptance, that spot goes to another instate male ORM rather than say an out of state female URM? Has UNC ever clarified this?

Also how many people do we think are on the WL total? I assume hundreds right if we're expecting 15-20% to get in off the WL? I'm just struggling to understand how many people are turning down UNC - esp for in state spots as it's the top school in NC if you aren't going to Duke which is a different league.

Anyone know if UNC is a ranked waitlist or if it's the type where they go by demographics? Meaning if an instate male ORM withdraws acceptance, that spot goes to another instate male ORM rather than say an out of state female URM? Has UNC ever clarified this?

Also how many people do we think are on the WL total? I assume hundreds right if we're expecting 15-20% to get in off the WL? I'm just struggling to understand how many people are turning down UNC - esp for in state spots as it's the top school in NC if you aren't going to Duke which is a different league.

From what I’ve been told, I think it’s more application based. Ie if someone with a large amount of clinical hours withdrawals, they will choose another with large clinical hours off the waitlist. I believe the waitlist is probably 200-300 students long. This is just a guess but on here 30+ people reported a WL, so 200-300 doesn’t seem outlandish. Regarding who drops, I think historically 60-70 people drop UNC. OOS students are more likely to go IS or somewhere they are getting aid. Some in state students will go to Duke, or better OOS schools providing aid. Some may even drop UNC for ECU or wake. It’s all situational

Last edited:
From what I’ve been told, I think it’s more application based. Ie if someone with a large amount of clinical hours withdrawals, they will choose another with large clinical hours off the waitlist. I believe the waitlist is probably 200-300 students long. This is just a guess but on here 30+ people reported a WL, so 200-300 doesn’t seem outlandish. Regarding who drops, I think historically 60-70 people drop UNC. OOS students are more likely to go IS or someone where they are getting aid. Some in state students will go to Duke, or better OOS schools providing aid. Some may even drop UNC for ECU or wake. It’s all situational
Thanks. Makes me wonder if it's also MCAT/GPA based - i.e. someone with a 4.0 and 522 drops and they're choosing someone else with those/close stats rather than say a 3.7 and 518 if they are trying to maintain the MCAT/GPA ranges they set with the initial acceptances. Though maybe it isn't about that - maybe if you're on WL they've already decided your stats are perfectly fine and they aren't super concerned about maintaining GPA/MCAT ranges and they'll rely more on activities/extracurriculars, OOS vs. in state etc.

Lol i knew someone who had a 4.0/520 who never got off the waitlist. I doubt it’s based off stats.

Oh wow - didn't get off the WL with a 4.0/520 - so yeah it isn't about stats then. Probably more about research/clinical/non clinical hrs etc.

Anyone have any idea if UNC just does all this on 4/30 - i.e. are they ready to go in a way that if 70 spots open up, 70 WL people are called on 4/30 - because that seems like a monumental task as this doesn't sound like a numbered list. Or will WL results trickle out over weeks?

Oh wow - didn't get off the WL with a 4.0/520 - so yeah it isn't about stats then. Probably more about research/clinical/non clinical hrs etc.

Anyone have any idea if UNC just does all this on 4/30 - i.e. are they ready to go in a way that if 70 spots open up, 70 WL people are called on 4/30 - because that seems like a monumental task as this doesn't sound like a numbered list. Or will WL results trickle out over weeks?

Previous threads show the first couple weeks of May have the most movement, but some movement here and there until classes start. If you’re on a waitlist with no As (just like me) best thing is to work on your application as if you’re reapplying until you hear back.

Anyone taken off the waitlist yet?
FB group went up 9 today, so possibly

Edit: Looks like they finally posted WL people on the Choose Your Medical School Tool. I received it on 4/23

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Edit: Looks like they finally posted WL people on the Choose Your Medical School Tool. I received it on 4/23
so if we have an acceptance to another school, do we have to do anything if WL from UNC?

Do you have an A at another school? Because I was waitlisted at UNC with no As and but don’t see the CYMS tool in my portal at all.

CYMS is only available to those with acceptances.
That’s what I thought. Just clarifying bc the person above said they saw their waitlist school(s) on it. Weird that they’d include them if those with only waitlists don’t have access.

I just withdrew my A today! No confirmation email from the school yet, but very excited for whoever gets the spot!

Reactions: 13 users