2023-2024 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Remember we only see through the viewfinder of peeps šŸ„ who post on SDN.
Has it happened before? I donā€™t know
We tell people they have a shot until May 15th. This kind of changes things in terms of some not even having a shot for match.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
It's uncommon for the TMDSAS schools, but UTMB & UTSW have sent some.

In a round-about way it helps you not to use up your Rank spot on UTSW if they have already decided they won't be ranking you highly.
Iā€™m confused about the Texas match.

I thought your order ranking has no effect on your chances of getting in and your ranking only matters if multiple schools rank you highly. If you rank a school highly that ranks you low, the system just skips that school and moves on to the second school. If that school also didnā€™t rank you high enough it keeps moving down until it hits a school that ranked you high enough for admission. So you really canā€™t waste a rank spot per se.

So even if I rank a school last, if that school ranked me high enough, the only thing preventing my admission to that school is whether the schools above ranked me high enough for an acceptance.

Sorry for the long winded question, Iā€™m just curious if the way I rank schools could alter the probability I match in general.

Iā€™m confused about the Texas match.

I thought your order ranking has no effect on your chances of getting in and your ranking only matters if multiple schools rank you highly. If you rank a school highly that ranks you low, the system just skips that school and moves on to the second school. If that school also didnā€™t rank you high enough it keeps moving down until it hits a school that ranked you high enough for admission. So you really canā€™t waste a rank spot per se.

So even if I rank a school last, if that school ranked me high enough, the only thing preventing my admission to that school is whether the schools above ranked me high enough for an acceptance.

Sorry for the long winded question, Iā€™m just curious if the way I rank schools could alter the probability I match in general.
@Riceisyummy your perceptions are true for the most part.
But
If a school has outright rejected you BEFORE match ranking day
Do not rank that school, because they will NOT have you on THEIR rank list

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has your portal changed at all? Didnā€™t know this could happen either

My portal hasnā€™t changed except I can view the rejection letter in the communication tab. UTSW is still present on my TMDSAS ranking page.

My portal hasnā€™t changed except I can view the rejection letter in the communication tab. UTSW is still present on my TMDSAS ranking page.
Did they refer to your interview in the letter?

I have been following some residency threads and they seem to be messing up a lot. There are people being called for interviews and scheduled them while they also received rejections as part of bulk rejections by mistake.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

I have been following some residency threads and they seem to be messing up a lot. There are people being called for interviews and scheduled them while they also received rejections as part of bulk rejections by mistake.
The email doesn't explicitly mention interviews. It says this:

Thank you for applying to UT Southwestern Medical School. We have completed the review of applications and regret to inform you that you have not been selected to join our UT Southwestern Class of 2028.

The UT Southwestern admissions committee takes its role of evaluating applications very seriously. There are more than 20 applications for each seat in the entering class and our committee is faced with many difficult decisions regarding admissions. Each year, we must turn away many qualified candidates.

We are sorry we cannot consider your application further. Thank you again for applying to UT Southwestern, and please accept our best wishes for the future.

The email doesn't explicitly mention interviews. It says this:

Thank you for applying to UT Southwestern Medical School. We have completed the review of applications and regret to inform you that you have not been selected to join our UT Southwestern Class of 2028.

The UT Southwestern admissions committee takes its role of evaluating applications very seriously. There are more than 20 applications for each seat in the entering class and our committee is faced with many difficult decisions regarding admissions. Each year, we must turn away many qualified candidates.

We are sorry we cannot consider your application further. Thank you again for applying to UT Southwestern, and please accept our best wishes for the future.
This is exactly what the letter sent to me Pre-II R said

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

No, I received the same message as @swimdoc23. Iā€™ll email admissions to make sure it wasnā€™t a mistake.

Reactions: 3 users
Does not sound right that they sent same letter to both pre and post IIs. May be it is a good idea to confirm.

Same here. Got that exact same R letter. Thanks for emailing them for us.

Just heard back. The post-II rejections were not a mistake. UTSW will still appear on the TMDSAS ranking page but now we know we will not match there. They wanted to give us the opportunity to rank other schools appropriately. I wish I had better news for yā€™all.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Just heard back. The post-II rejections were not a mistake. UTSW will still appear on the TMDSAS ranking page but now we know we will not match there. They wanted to give us the opportunity to rank other schools appropriately. I wish I had better news for yā€™all.
Thanks for sharing the information here

Unfortunate they decided to take this route. Good luck to you all at other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone else have a non-functional RSVP link in their MS0 weekend invitation email?

Does anyone else have a non-functional RSVP link in their MS0 weekend invitation email?
Def email the admissions director or their office. Wouldnā€™t want you to miss out the events we got planned for yā€™allšŸ«¢

The link doesn't work- but all it does is take you to the admissions portal. If you log in on your own, you'll see an MS0 tab that lets you register.

Last edited:
Do we anticipate a prematch wave today? Seems like a hot day for the rest of Texas.

Do we anticipate a prematch wave today? Seems like a hot day for the rest of Texas.
This week by Friday. They used to do them on Fridays, not sure which days they have been coming out.

OOS A just now! LM 81 secondary submitted 8/8/23, interviewed 9/23/23. Stoked!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Congrats to all those that prematched! Can't wait to meet some of y'all on our visit days!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 12/2 and pre matched today Iā€™m so grateful!!!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Me who interviewed on 12/09 looking at this threadā€¦

• Care
Im unsure of whether or not there will be more prematch rounds but for those of you who do not prematch, there are quite a few people in my class who got in on match day!

For those that have sent update/intent letters, did y'all upload to the portal or sent them to their admissions email? I don't see an "LOI" option in the document portal.

Hi everyone! I prematched to UTSW a while back but just received a scholarship to Dell. I'm aware that UTSW doesn't need to match scholarships, but should I still contact the admissions committee at UTSW to potentially obtain a scholarship? Thanks

Hi everyone! I prematched to UTSW a while back but just received a scholarship to Dell. I'm aware that UTSW doesn't need to match scholarships, but should I still contact the admissions committee at UTSW to potentially obtain a scholarship? Thanks
If you are willing to go to Dell for the scholarship then it would make sense. Asking for the sake of asking wont help.

Can you please share your MCAT Score?? Do you know what is the average MCAT Score for UT Southwestern??
I have heard of 514. However, MCAT scores can be misleading because there may be other factors involved in the overall selection process ...

Last year, UTSW matched a friend of mine's full tuition scholarship from Baylor. I'm not sure if they will match Dell but it doesn't hurt to let the admissions committee know that you have another scholarship but will go to UTSW over Dell if they were to match it.

Last year, UTSW matched a friend of mine's full tuition scholarship from Baylor. I'm not sure if they will match Dell but it doesn't hurt to let the admissions committee know that you have another scholarship but will go to UTSW over Dell if they were to match it.

Sounds good, thanks camper!!

Didn't report, but OOS A on 12/19! Interviewed 10/21, was "skipped over" last wave. Super stoked because this school is tied for my top choice!

• Love