2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m not sure why ppl aren’t talking about this but does anyone else have concerns about the grading scheme (not true P/F) ?? The mandatory class attendance?? The business casual must be worn on campus?? Like it just seems so strict compared to other med schools
Got this info from the student handboook

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not sure why ppl aren’t talking about this but does anyone else have concerns about the grading scheme (not true P/F) ?? The mandatory class attendance?? The business casual must be worn on campus?? Like it just seems so strict compared to other med schools
Grading scheme concerns are valid. Ive talked about this earlier in the thread. Mandatory class attendance is pretty minimal. The only mandatory classes you need to attend in person generally is anatomy lab, OMM, and CMR. Usually only about 8-12 hrs per week. The remainder of lectures can be watched either live via zoom, watch the zoom recording, or are prerecorded.

Also not sure where you're hearing about business casual on campus, the only strict dress code present is for CMR. You have to wear your white coat and navy blue scrubs for that but otherwise you can wear whatever you want on campus. Only other exception would be needing pants and close toed shoes for anatomy, and gym shorts for OMM.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's been their turnaround time for interviews? They said 2 1/2 weeks during the interview session.

IS II this morning 😭 Probably for waitlist but I am grateful

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
IS II today! complete early july so very unexpected

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
have people been getting off the waitlist in the past couple of months? or are they waiting until May/June

Reactions: 1 user
What is the difference between "waitlist" and "alternate list?" Is one more likely to be accepted than the other?

Does Western accept letters of interest, should we write one if we're still on WL after a few weeks? Should we still attend events even if they're duplicates?

still praying for an ii lol pls western

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
have people been getting off the waitlist in the past couple of months? or are they waiting until May/June
I was waitlisted in December ( interviewed early Dec), was accepted in early Feb

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the difference between "waitlist" and "alternate list?" Is one more likely to be accepted than the other?
If its the same as last year, it is not the same thing. Waitlisted candidates are ranked higher than alternate list. Look at the official letter they sent you, it will say if you are waitlist or alternate. Towards the very end of the interview season (like June or July) I believe they begin further subdividing the WL into higher and lower ranks, while the alternate list remains in one single pool. Again, if its the same as last year, most (but not all) people who are on the WL tend to get accepted. People from the alternate list also get accepted but it tends to be at a lower rate.

I know they make it unnecessarily confusing, idk why.

If its the same as last year, it is not the same thing. Waitlisted candidates are ranked higher than alternate list. Look at the official letter they sent you, it will say if you are waitlist or alternate. Towards the very end of the interview season (like June or July) I believe they begin further subdividing the WL into higher and lower ranks, while the alternate list remains in one single pool. Again, if its the same as last year, most (but not all) people who are on the WL tend to get accepted. People from the alternate list also get accepted but it tends to be at a lower rate.

Thank you that makes more sense! I didn't apply so I didn't get an official letter. I was just interested because I never heard a school having WL vs Alt list.

Interviewed 3/5 and got a waitlist letter with a "Reply to Offer of Alternate Status" on the portal itself. Strangely enough I didn't see this form on my phone last night but on the computer I did. The letter makes it sound like you don't have to do anything.

I wasn't aware of that, didn't mean to misinform! I keep seeing "reply to alternate status" as completed on my portal, but the letter says I am waitlisted, so a bit confusing

I wasn't aware of that, didn't mean to misinform! I keep seeing "reply to alternate status" as completed on my portal, but the letter says I am waitlisted, so a bit confusing

has anyone been placed on the alternate list instead of the waitlist?

I'm really not a big fan of ambiguity either so I had a few back and forths via email to clarify.

By accepting the "Reply to Offer of Alternate Status," you are indicating your interest in being considered should a seat become available. Whereas, the letter you received informs you whether you are categorized as a waitlist candidate or an alternate candidate.

Also they told me, "Waitlist candidates will be on the top of the list for consideration if seats become available. Alternate candidates will be considered after we have gone through the waitlist first."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
another email about their westernu board of trustees scholarship but yet to receive an ii

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
I have my interview tomorrow but I can't seem to find the "Required Pre-Interview Video Presentations". I don't see it on the "Your Interview Page" at all... can someone help me out?

I have my interview tomorrow but I can't seem to find the "Required Pre-Interview Video Presentations". I don't see it on the "Your Interview Page" at all... can someone help me out?
It’s under the admissions tab I believe it’s actually only one video

Does anyone/current students know how financial aid works here? It’s super expensive, is it likely that most students get aid?

does anyone/current students typically know when waitlist movement occurs?

IS II submitted 9/13

Last edited:
IS II received today

Are they interviewing for waitlist spots?

Are they interviewing for waitlist spots?
I tried asking this when I interviewed early March and they kinda gave me a wishy washy answer. My guess is yes they're for the waitlist. The waitlist letter I got after I interviewed said their class is full.

On the main interview day there were like 20 other people with me interviewing.

is this the same as alternate list? does anyone know the chance of getting in?
congrats!! I heard if waitlisted its a high chance ur in !! how was ur interview? waitlist is not the same as alternate.

Last edited:
How did you send it in? Did you email it in, or upload it to the portal? Also, who did you address in the letter (like Dean of COM etc)?

I uploaded it to the portal! and i just addressed it to the admissions committee

might be a stupid question but we still need to pay deposit if u get off waitlist right? and its 2K? trying save money :oops:

is anyone interviewing today and still in the waiting room?