2023-2024 Western University of Health Sciences (Pomona, California)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
same, waitlisted, also says: "the class is currently filled". I just received an email.

update: it also offers me an alternative status. I am assuming that I am in the alternative list instead of the waitlist?
Same! I read the last year's SDN, and if your letter says 'waitlist' instead of 'alternate,' that means you are waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
just got accepted 🥹❤️. Interviewed in December and was waitlisted

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
same, waitlisted, also says: "the class is currently filled". I just received an email.

update: it also offers me an alternative status. I am assuming that I am in the alternative list instead of the waitlist?
Check your official letter. The way they word it in the portal is weird. The actual official letter says whether you're waitlisted or alternate.

They always say the class is full. That just means they have offered more admissions than there are seats in the class. But tons of people get offered admission and don't decide to withdraw their A until the end of the cycle. Thats why they have a ton of waitlist movement towards the end of the cycle. So hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
When I spoke with an admin rep about how I could improve my app in case I don't hear anything this cycle, shadowing was one of the things missing from my app; preferably DO but can do MD shadowing
thanks

It's not "required", but it would definitely help. They are very big on the whole osteopathic philosophy and tenets being one of the first DO schools in the West. Shadowing/Working with a DO might better show them why you're choosing DO.
thanks

Check your official letter. The way they word it in the portal is weird. The actual official letter says whether you're waitlisted or alternate.

They always say the class is full. That just means they have offered more admissions than there are seats in the class. But tons of people get offered admission and don't decide to withdraw their A until the end of the cycle. Thats why they have a ton of waitlist movement towards the end of the cycle. So hang in there!
Thank you! That's also what dkpokwdpojwp says. It's indeed waitlist for me. Hopefully they can move us off the waitlist. It's good to see they already started moving people from Dec's waitlist to acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
accepted yesterday after being waitlisted on 12/22

Reactions: 8 users
Anyone else wish western didn’t wait until the end of the cycle to reject pre-II?

Reactions: 8 users
Just got an email that my application is still with the admissions. Just say you hate me already :(

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Just got an email that my application is still with the admissions. Just say you hate me already :(
I've gotten like 5 of these emails since I completed my app. At this point, I much rather have complete silence from them rather than getting my hopes up every time I see one of these.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t gotten that email so…
I noticed that they send it sporadically, so not to everyone on the same day. I guess if there’s a silver lining we haven’t gotten full out rejected yet 😔

I've gotten like 5 of these emails since I completed my app. At this point, I much rather have complete silence from them rather than getting my hopes up every time I see one of these.
That’s fair. They r being boo boos for that 😢

I scanned the past few pages of this thread. Is everyone getting waitlisted saying that the class is full? I haven't heard from them, but I am an extreme stat splitter (Very high MCAT, very low GPA).

Reactions: 3 users
I scanned the past few pages of this thread. Is everyone getting waitlisted saying that the class is full? I haven't heard from them, but I am an extreme stat splitter (Very high MCAT, very low GPA).
I was waitlisted on 2/1 and they said the class is currently full after a 1/11-1/12 interview. I believe they have started pulling some people who were waitlisted in December off the waitlist as people rescind their acceptances.

Has anyone with competitive stats for COMP (like 3.8, 518 mcat) not heard back? It’s been radio silence for me (aside from the monthly “your app is still with admissions” email) and I’m wondering what I might’ve done wrong

I was waitlisted on 2/1 and they said the class is currently full after a 1/11-1/12 interview. I believe they have started pulling some people who were waitlisted in December off the waitlist as people rescind their acceptances.
This doesn't bode well, then. I'm sure there will be a lot of waitlist movement but for those who haven't been offered an interview (like me) probably won't get in at this point...

Reactions: 4 users
For those who got waitlisted, do you also have a form on your application page that says "Reply to offer of alternate status"? My letter says I am waitlisted.

For those who got waitlisted, do you also have a form on your application page that says "Reply to offer of alternate status"? My letter says I am waitlisted.

Mine says the same thing. I think we are waitlisted

Mine says the same thing. I think we are waitlisted
I asked the admissions person listed on the letter and she said even though the form says "alternate", we should still respond "I accept" if we are interested in staying on the waitlist.

Have any admitted students been able to create an account/log into CastleBranch

Does Pomona mainly accept Cal residents or do a ton OOS applicants also get in?

IS II now with complete 7/15
hey congrats! would you mind sharing ur stats please (you can dm me if you prefer). I have been waiting for an II - they keep sending emails to attend these zoom sessions and preview days and keep saying application is with admissions committee but no II yet. Congrats and good luck with the interview :)

From what I have heard, there is no instate bias at Western.
Id say a major caveat to this would be if you're actually from the inland empire/underserved communities in LA or beyond. That would prob help your application a bit. Also most students are definitely from California but this is probably simply because most people applying in California want to stay in California. Also because the school is well known to locals so they're more likely to apply.

Got accepted to my instate MD, will be withdrawing my A from WesternU.

Godspeed soldiers 🫡

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Got accepted to my instate MD, will be withdrawing my A from WesternU.

Godspeed soldiers 🫡
Could you please personally recommend me to receive an interview. I'M KIDDING. Thank you for letting us, the hopefuls, know. And congratulations on your acceptance!

hey congrats! would you mind sharing ur stats please (you can dm me if you prefer). I have been waiting for an II - they keep sending emails to attend these zoom sessions and preview days and keep saying application is with admissions committee but no II yet. Congrats and good luck with the interview :)
Hi! Honestly took forever to hear back from admissions! I had a 508 mcat and 3.77 science and 3.73 overall… also URM Latino, grew up two cities away from Pomona so very used to the area and talked about my family in the city on secondaries!

Id say a major caveat to this would be if you're actually from the inland empire/underserved communities in LA or beyond. That would prob help your application a bit. Also most students are definitely from California but this is probably simply because most people applying in California want to stay in California. Also because the school is well known to locals so they're more likely to apply.
That makes sense. On their website, it says 88% of students that enroll are from California so I wasn't sure if they had in-state bias or not. Did you speak to someone that told you there is no in-state bias?

Emailed to cancel interview and withdraw app from consideration. I hope it goes to one of yall!

Hi! Honestly took forever to hear back from admissions! I had a 508 mcat and 3.77 science and 3.73 overall… also URM Latino, grew up two cities away from Pomona so very used to the area and talked about my family in the city on secondaries!
Thank you!

Does anyone know if Western accepts update letters? I can't find this information on their website or by Googling. I thought previous posts here mentioned providing update letters, but when I look in my portal, the wording makes it seem like they only accept uploaded documents that THEY have requested.

Does anyone know if Western accepts update letters? I can't find this information on their website or by Googling. I thought previous posts here mentioned providing update letters, but when I look in my portal, the wording makes it seem like they only accept uploaded documents that THEY have requested.
I emailed them to ask and they said we can upload into the portal or email directly to them :))

Does anyone happen to have a list of complete preceptors for 3rd and 4th year rotations?

do they accept updates? if so, how?

do they accept updates? if so, how?
I emailed my admissions advisor- the one who's been sending the "your application is still with the admissions committee" emails

Does anyone know how far along they are in the interview season?