2024 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't see the point of applying for internships outside of the area you would actually want to practice in. What's your rationale beyond having fewer options for an SA rotating? What do you ultimately want to do?

I agree with you that it is desperate but foreign graduates have extremely few programs they can apply to due to visa and AVMA accreditation issues. And out of those selected programs, they are less prioritized over Avma accredited students which makes sense. So they have an extremely low chance of matching. This is why they are open to considering paths less desirable for them just to get to North America and then start all over again next year in a better situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been assured by one of my two remaining references that she's going to submit it today or tomorrow, so at least my app won't be DOA even if the one that's still ghosting me never actually does it lol

Reactions: 1 user
What are the requirements/criteria for a diversity position? Can foreign graduates apply for this position?

Members don't see this ad :)
For people who have done this before, do references usually wait until the last minute to complete the form? :rofl:

For people who have done this before, do references usually wait until the last minute to complete the form? :rofl:
Sometimes yes. This year I finished uploading all of my letters several weeks ago.

But there have been years where I'm finishing them the day of the deadline.

What are the requirements/criteria for a diversity position? Can foreign graduates apply for this position?

You need to read the instructions in the program description. Also be aware that some will require an additional letter or something similar.

Is there any extra benefit of submitting 4 LOR over 3?
It depends. In general, you don't get extra points for having 4 letters. But if the 4th letter is excellent and addresses certain qualities that the other references could not address it could be helpful.

On the other hand, if it's between 3 excellent letters or 3 excellent letters + 1 average letter ... go with the 3.

Over It Dead Ass GIF

Still waiting on one more letter

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
I've been assured by one of my two remaining references that she's going to submit it today or tomorrow, so at least my app won't be DOA even if the one that's still ghosting me never actually does it lol
I heard even if LORs go pass the deadline, VIRMP will still accept them haha. So we should be good.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, but its VIRMP we are discussing here so I guess its still relevant?
I think the point is that if a program downloads their applicant info immediately after the deadline and you don’t have all the info in, they may not re-download your info later and would consider your app incomplete even if VIRMP does technically ‘accept’ a late submission later on. So your best bet is to bug your people and get them to do it before the deadline.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the point is that if a program downloads their applicant info immediately after the deadline and you don’t have all the info in, they may not re-download your info later and would consider your app incomplete even if VIRMP does technically ‘accept’ a late submission later on. So your best bet is to bug your people and get them to do it before the deadline.
I see. Persistent there, but its what it takes haha.
All 4 LORS are in and surprisingly an interview for residency has already been scheduled!

Best of luck to everyone!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! Does anyone have any internship interview tips please? I'm hoping it's pretty standard, but just in case there's anything special I should be aware of. Thank you! :)

It's pretty standard interview tips.

Research the program/people ahead of time, think about what might be common questions and practice your answers.

Be on time (as in 10 minutes early), dress appropriately, have copies of your CV and a way to take notes

Be respectful to everyone including receptionist, client service representatives; keep your answers concise, honest, and pertinent -- don't ramble. Don't say anything negative about other programs, previous employers. Stay off your phone.

Reactions: 1 users
For rotating internship programs that do not require an interview but it is "encouraged" is that code for you should schedule an interview? Does it reflect negatively if you do not set up an interview?

For rotating internship programs that do not require an interview but it is "encouraged" is that code for you should schedule an interview? Does it reflect negatively if you do not set up an interview?
I've been struggling with how to phrase an email to schedule interviews with a few places like this. It feels so presumptive.

I don't know if it reflects negatively if you don't do it - I assume it does - but I don't see a good reason NOT to do an interview with them; it's as much of a chance for you to get to know the practice/institution as it is for them to get to know you. You want to make sure you're going to be somewhere that's a good fit.

I've been struggling with how to phrase an email to schedule interviews with a few places like this. It feels so presumptive.

I don't know if it reflects negatively if you don't do it - I assume it does - but I don't see a good reason NOT to do an interview with them; it's as much of a chance for you to get to know the practice/institution as it is for them to get to know you. You want to make sure you're going to be somewhere that's a good fit.
It just feels as though many programs want to interview in a 2 week span of time which can be difficult with scheduling/balancing it with current rotations. Also just extra stress from the interview :bookworm:

But I do agree that it’s you getting more info about the program which is good

It just feels as though many programs want to interview in a 2 week span of time which can be difficult with scheduling/balancing it with current rotations. Also just extra stress from the interview :bookworm:

But I do agree that it’s you getting more info about the program which is good
I know. One of the ones that I applied to encourages in-person interviews and that's just not feasible for me financially. :(

• Sad
If two applicants are fairly similar on paper, I’m probably going to rank the person I’ve talked to higher. Can you match somewhere without interviewing? Yeah probably. But if they say it’s preferred/recommended, I’d do everything in your power to make one happen. As busy as your life is, I promise, wrangling a clinic schedule to find interview slots is just as if not more difficult on their side and they wouldn’t do that if they didn’t think it was valuable.

For the SA internal med applicants out there, any residency interviews yet?!

Has anyone heard from Mizzou for radiology residency interviews? I already emailed them expressing interest in their program last week since you have to contact them for interviews.

I know. One of the ones that I applied to encourages in-person interviews and that's just not feasible for me financially. :(
Sending all the good vibes! I’m planning to drive 4 hrs to go interview at a place but if it was any farther I would probably just do a zoom interview. Hospitals have to understand that not everyone is nearby the internships they apply to/can’t come in persons

Sending all the good vibes! I’m planning to drive 4 hrs to go interview at a place but if it was any farther I would probably just do a zoom interview. Hospitals have to understand that not everyone is nearby the internships they apply to/can’t come in persons
Yeah, this one is >1000 miles from me, so driving when I'm on ER currently, IM next, and an externship 3000 miles away right after is just completely impossible. And there's no way I can afford a flight. I'll have to do zoom.

Theoretically, if you have to take the April/Spring NAVLE, would you get your scores/pass your NAVLE with enough time to accept an internship position?

The April test usually has a faster turnaround time on results. They know people are graduating and needing to move forward with jobs. I think in past years it’s taken 3-4 weeks after the end of the April window? You may not have results by your graduation but you should have results before the typical intern start dates in June. Depending on the state and how fast they process things, you might be a little later than other interns getting your license approved by the state board but likely only by a couple weeks. The main issue would be if you fail the second time too, they may not be able to keep you as an intern if you’re not licensed. My friend failed her second attempt so her equine hospital called her a “tech intern” and paid her even less than an already crappy equine intern salary. She did all the grunt work of an equine intern and got to discuss cases with clinicians but she couldn’t be unsupervised or do some of the procedures because she wasn’t licensed. She eventually passed on the third attempt.

But maybe wait to get your results before worrying about this possibility too much…the vast majority of people are going to pass on the first attempt.

Couple more have come through today for those of you who applied!
So far three schools have contacted! 8 more to wait for to see if they all are interested hahaha

Has anyone heard till now from WCVM Saskatchewan (large animal surgery internship) and UC Davis (livestock medicine and surgery internship).

Has anyone heard from surgery academic residencies yet?
Large or small animal? Not all academic surgery residencies interview due to high applicant to position ratios. For small animal I know that Penn, Mizzou, and Florida have sent out interviews.

Large or small animal? Not all academic surgery residencies interview due to high applicant to position ratios. For small animal I know that Penn, Mizzou, and Florida have sent out interviews.
I was referring to small animal surgery residencies - thank you! Really keeping my fingers crossed for the other programs, wondering if there’s been new invites since?

Have any academic small animal rotating internships sent out interview invites yet?

Any large animal internship peeps hearing anything? I had an interview with Purdue, but they interview all applicants. This waiting game is torture.

During interviews, do you talk about why your specific specialty in the "tell me about yourself" question? Or do you wait for them to ask why you like said specialty?

Last edited: