2024 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was referring to small animal surgery residencies - thank you! Really keeping my fingers crossed for the other programs, wondering if there’s been new invites since?
I haven’t heard from any other academia ones. Hoping they’re just late in reviewing things but fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad.

For SA rotating internship applicants, did everyone receive an email from Texas A&M? Or was it just for top applicants?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For SA rotating internship applicants, did everyone receive an email from Texas A&M? Or was it just for top applicants?
Did you receive one today? If so, I would assume only top applicants. I have not heard from them and applied there for a SA Rotation so 🤷‍♀️

Has anyone received an interview email from Oregon State University for a small animal rotating internship?

Hopping on the train wondering who's heard from academic small animal rotating internships.

Did you receive one today? If so, I would assume only top applicants. I have not heard from them and applied there for a SA Rotation so 🤷‍♀️
I received one on Saturday.

I also heard from Ohio last weekend.

Has anyone heard from Colorado based private SA rotating internships? Specifically VCA Alameda East and Wheatridge?

Any one shortlisted for a large animal/food animal internship interview from UC Davis, Saskatoon, Washington, and Oregon?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from oncology residencies?

Has anyone heard from oncology residencies?
Yes - Tufts, Penn, and Colorado (although Colorado seems to interview for both residencies and specialty internships together).

Anyone heard from Colorado State for ECC residencies? Also wondering for academic ECC residencies... Are only the top candidates invited to interview?

Last edited:
has anyone heard from ncsu, ohio, or wisconsin for internal medicine?

Any updates on academic SA Rotating Internships reaching out (beyond Ohio State and TAMU)
I asked a friend who did an academic rotating a few years ago, and apparently some of them wait a while before reaching out. So we’re not out of the running yet! (I haven’t heard from any).

A friend told me he heard from UF so I fell into a rabbit hole and found this forum!
I also applied to UF but nothing yet...stress
(SA Internship)

Last edited:
Haven't heard from UF or Wisconsin, but did hear from Illinois over the weekend! Of the others I applied to, I believe only CSU indicated on VIRMP that they contact top candidates.

Hi, new member and first time VIRMP applicant - as foreign grad. I’ve heard from an academic intern. I’m kinda nervous for the upcoming interview. Any insight on the meeting.? Thank you.

Last edited:
Haven't heard from UF or Wisconsin, but did hear from Illinois over the weekend! Of the others I applied to, I believe only CSU indicated on VIRMP that they contact top candidates.
I'm in the same boat. Applied to UF, Wisconsin, and CSU, but have only heard from Illinois.

Anyone else hear back about SA surgery internship or residency? I see Missou, Penn, UGA, CSU, Purdue, Texas from previous posts but wondering if there is more updates.

If we haven't heard by now, is it safe to say interview invites are over?

Hi, new member and first time VIRMP applicant - as foreign grad. I’ve heard from an academic intern. I’m kinda nervous for the upcoming interview. Any insight on the meeting.? Thank you.
Hi, Same here. Which places have you applied to? I have an interview with Auburn uni next week and I have been stressing about it

Anyone heard from Colorado State for ECC residencies? Also wondering for academic ECC residencies... Are only the top candidates invited to interview?
I heard from & interviewed with CSU. The others I have interviewed with have only had ~20-25 time slots when signing up, so I think that is roughly how many candidates they interview.

do we feel that programs are most likely done reaching out for interviews after today?

Hello, I have applied to Oregon, Washington, and Purdue for residency programs. I have not heard back from them yet for an interview. I am worried, by any chance can I still match without an interview?
Or after the match, they will interview you.

Hello, I have applied to Oregon, Washington, and Purdue for residency programs. I have not heard back from them yet for an interview. I am worried, by any chance can I still match without an interview?
They don’t interview you after, if you match you’re “stuck” with each other at that point. I do think places are more likely to interview their top applicants for residency to get to know them better since it’s a longer commitment and you work more closely with that one group during those years, but you never know what a program will do. There is no requirement that they interview anyone. Even if they do interview some, they may still put people they didn’t interview on their rank list to try to make a match rather than have to scramble. It’s possible to match without interviewing. I didn’t get any interviews for my internship and I still matched. But even if you don’t match initially, the scramble is a perfectly valid way to get a position.

They don’t interview you after, if you match you’re “stuck” with each other at that point. I do think places are more likely to interview their top applicants for residency to get to know them better since it’s a longer commitment and you work more closely with that one group during those years, but you never know what a program will do. There is no requirement that they interview anyone. Even if they do interview some, they may still put people they didn’t interview on their rank list to try to make a match rather than have to scramble. It’s possible to match without interviewing. I didn’t get any interviews for my internship and I still matched. But even if you don’t match initially, the scramble is a perfectly valid way to get a position.
Thanks,
As a foreign graduate, what are the chances of the match? BTW i have applied for internships too.

Thanks,
As a foreign graduate, what are the chances of the match? BTW i have applied for internships too.
If you didn’t interview it’s honestly probably pretty low but you never know and it only takes one yes. Match can be unpredictable. I’d probably make plans to be available the day of the scramble and see if you can find success that way should you not match. My university wouldnt even allow us to consider foreign applicants because of prevailing wage requirements (meaning they’d have had to pay foreign citizens more than the US resident salaries and rather than pony up the money they just stopped accepting foreign applicants). Which sucks…schools lose out on good candidates and applicants have a harder time finding places to go.

Thanks,
If you are referring yourself to a non-american or canadian citizen, on the same boat there. Personally from what I have heard if its residency and interviews have not been offered, chances are as mentioned, very low and I would not even rank them in my residency application.

As for internships, check if they would offer interviews, a lot of places do not like WCVM and AVC. And I would like prepare for internship if you do not have a rotating internship in north america before your application to residency because a lot of faculty told me they would likely not to consider foreign applicants without a rotating in north america.

Just my two cents from going around place, including some of the places you have applied.

… and I would not even rank them in my residency application.
If you still want to/are willing go somewhere, it does not hurt your overall match chances to keep them on your rank list, even if they didn’t interview you. If you rank them and they didn’t rank you back, it just keeps moving down your list. If you don’t put them on your final rank list you absolutely aren’t gonna match there. But if you are still willing to go there and do rank them somewhere, the chance stays alive however small it might be.

Reactions: 1 users
What specialty? I think most internal medicine residency interviews have been sent out, but there still could be a few!

If you still want to/are willing go somewhere, it does not hurt your overall match chances to keep them on your rank list, even if they didn’t interview you. If you rank them and they didn’t rank you back, it just keeps moving down your list. If you don’t put them on your final rank list you absolutely aren’t gonna match there. But if you are still willing to go there and do rank them somewhere, the chance stays alive however small it might be.
Yes, you keep my chance alive, I have ranked all the positions to which I have applied.