2024 VIRMP Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What specialty? I think most internal medicine residency interviews have been sent out, but there still could be a few!
Small animal internal medicine, and emergency & critical care mainly.

Members don't see this ad.

If you still want to/are willing go somewhere, it does not hurt your overall match chances to keep them on your rank list, even if they didn’t interview you. If you rank them and they didn’t rank you back, it just keeps moving down your list. If you don’t put them on your final rank list you absolutely aren’t gonna match there. But if you are still willing to go there and do rank them somewhere, the chance stays alive however small it might be.
That is absolutely true. I am just coming from collecting experience of past residency applicants I have spoke to for the specialty I am going for, and all of them did not rank programs which did not interview because unless stated otherwise in the VIRMP, places would definitely interview you if they were actually thinking about ranking you. So everyone have their choice, I guess for me it made more sense to not bother about places who did not offer an interview, especially academia because I did my fair homework by asking 4 different institutes during my visits and they all concurred that they wouldn't offer interviews to applicants they were not interested or rank.

For internship sure, residency; I think I have seen enough, at least for my specialty to know how they roll.

That is absolutely true. I am just coming from collecting experience of past residency applicants I have spoke to for the specialty I am going for, and all of them did not rank programs which did not interview because unless stated otherwise in the VIRMP, places would definitely interview you if they were actually thinking about ranking you. So everyone have their choice, I guess for me it made more sense to not bother about places who did not offer an interview, especially academia because I did my fair homework by asking 4 different institutes during my visits and they all concurred that they wouldn't offer interviews to applicants they were not interested or rank.

For internship sure, residency; I think I have seen enough, at least for my specialty to know how they roll.
Sure, but there’s no downside to ranking them if they’re somewhere you’re willing to go. I think that’s Jayna’s point.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from CSU for the small animal rotating yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any information about a small animal rotating internship at Oregon State?

Does Cornell still send emails of interest?

I’m starting to panic because I’ve only heard from one academic internship I applied to, and half of them don’t do interviews so I don’t know where I stand with them. If you rank programs high that didn’t contact you, do you risk not matching?

I’m starting to panic because I’ve only heard from one academic internship I applied to, and half of them don’t do interviews so I don’t know where I stand with them. If you rank programs high that didn’t contact you, do you risk not matching?
Personally, if a program states that they interview and they haven’t contacted me, I’m ranking them lower. If they don’t do interviews at all I would just rank like normal (based on preference). It sucks when they don’t give any indication.

If you rank programs high that didn’t contact you, do you risk not matching?
No, if you rank a place that doesn’t rank you back, nothing happens and the system just keeps moving down your list trying to find a different match. The system favors the applicants choices.

Here’s a good video with examples…it’s for human med but our match is pretty much the same. I think the humans may do more interviewing than the vetties do but it’s the same match algorithm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Did everyone who applied to Michigan State for a small animal rotating receive an email today, or is it only for applicants they're interested in?

Does anyone have any information about a small animal rotating internship at Oregon State?
I had my interview on Saturday. They said it's a slower program with more complex cases and they take 5 interns including some applications from other countries. Is this what you were asking?

Thanks,
As a foreign graduate, what are the chances of the match? BTW i have applied for internships too.

I would also advise on having a plan B in place in case you don't match (but I hope you do!). Scrambling as a foreign applicant is going to be hard and stressful. You likely can only scramble to university positions. Depending on what you want to specialize in, there may not be one available in your field of interest that you can legally apply for. That means either finding a university position outside of your interest vs finding a job outside of match that will provide other means of work sponsorship.

Members don't see this ad :)

They sent one out to me last year 2 days before rank was due

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I heard from Wisconsin today, so it’s safe to say that places definitely do not send out all their interview invites at once, and there’s still a chance to hear from programs!

Reactions: 4 users
Would you believe it if a residency program emailed you that you are ranked in their top 3?

Has anyone heard from Tennessee or UGA for SA Rotating? I was unsure if they reach out or not if they are interested. Thanks

Has anyone heard from Tennessee or UGA for SA Rotating? I was unsure if they reach out or not if they are interested. Thanks
You can see whether programs interview or not on their page on VIRMP.
UGA does not. I don't know about UTK, I didn't apply there.

The SA rotating at Tennessee also does not hold interviews.

There are programs that reach out even though they don't do interviews.
Cornell did last year and I heard from Michigan State this year. Not sure what others do

I heard from Wisconsin today, so it’s safe to say that places definitely do not send out all their interview invites at once, and there’s still a chance to hear from programs!
Are you willing to share what letter your last name starts with? I’m trying to figure out if they’re going alphabetically or some other order so I know if I should give up hope haha

Would you believe it if a residency program emailed you that you are ranked in their top 3?
I got a similar email during my Match process and I believed it, though with a grain of skepticism and understanding that the Match can be unpredictable. But I had a really great interview with that program so was hopeful it was true. I ended up matching higher than I ranked that program though, so we will really never know how true it was!

I got a similar email during my Match process and I believed it, though with a grain of skepticism and understanding that the Match can be unpredictable. But I had a really great interview with that program so was hopeful it was true. I ended up matching higher than I ranked that program though, so we will really never know how true it was!
Okay good to hear!

Are you willing to share what letter your last name starts with? I’m trying to figure out if they’re going alphabetically or some other order so I know if I should give up hope haha
Direct messaged you!

Now that we are in the final stretch, is it common for programs to reach out to their final candidates to give them a *wink wink* to have them ranked?

Now that we are in the final stretch, is it common for programs to reach out to their final candidates to give them a *wink wink* to have them ranked?
Yeah, i believe so as I have one more interview on coming Wednesday.

Not that anyone wants to think about this yet, but since we are getting close, I was wondering if anyone had advice on going through the scramble if it comes to that?

What is the etiquette of writing emails to open institutions?
Or do most places contact you first? Things like that.
I've been told before to draft a scramble email the night before, so I'd love some tips on what to say/include.
If it helps, I'm applying to small animal rotating internships.

Thanks!

Reactions: 4 users
I have not heard back from any of the institutes yet. So, I think I am done for this year.
It was my first time, and I was also very late to know the whole process.

I submitted my rankings this morning. I didn't see myself changing them in a meaningful way in the next few days, and my access to the internet has been dicey, so decided I'd get it done while I knew I could :laugh:

Reactions: 7 users
Finalized my ranking list too! The institute I am most interested has also reached out to me when I sent them an email; fingers crossed for the match results!

I will say, i received one of these letters in the past and didn't match to them. I feel like it's also a ploy to get their top applicant, since if you get that letter, you're more likely to rank that program at the top. But I think if you liked the program, you should rank it high

Hi, I had done with 3 interviews. As a foreigner grad, how likely is my chance to get match with those program.? I just finalized my ranking list.
Good luck everyone :)

Before rank day I suggest you all read this post and the comments and then take a close look at the VIRMP reviews for your desired programs:

Reactions: 2 users
Is that for residency? That is bizarre considering the MMI is their interview and is what dictates their ranking!

Last edited:
Did anyone apply to the NCSU medicine emphasis rotating?