4 year Navy HPSP 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well my recruiter sent my packet to the local HQ about 3-4 weeks ago to get the first look-over. Just got it back yesterday and it is all good except one more form to fill out. Giving that to my recruiter tomorrow but seems like I am still too late for the boards this month. Just kind of irks me that it took them so long to look at it and send it back when it was perfect except one form needed to add some clarification on one item. I had this thing ready to go on Dec. 8th. O well hopefully February works out for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got a call from my recruiter today, says the results from the first board will be back next week on the 22nd.

Reactions: 1 user
Well my recruiter sent my packet to the local HQ about 3-4 weeks ago to get the first look-over. Just got it back yesterday and it is all good except one more form to fill out. Giving that to my recruiter tomorrow but seems like I am still too late for the boards this month. Just kind of irks me that it took them so long to look at it and send it back when it was perfect except one form needed to add some clarification on one item. I had this thing ready to go on Dec. 8th. O well hopefully February works out for me.

VERY similar story for me too. Pretty disheartening. But February will come fast and hopefully it will go smoother for us this next time. If the submission is rejected again though I am going to apply for the Army HPSP (if it won't be too late). So I am preparing for possibly doing that as well. If it comes to it, hopefully that application would go very quick since we already have MEPS done (usually the biggest hurdle), essays written, LORs done, etc.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The January board would have 100% of those qualified accepted, February 100% of those qualified accepted, then it dips down after (for example 75% of those qualified accepted in March, 40% of those qualified accepted in April). DISCLAIMER: I am not sure what their standards for being "qualified" are..but I was told there are always a handful of applicants in the January/Feb boards who have much lower stats (perhaps an 18 AA and 3.0 GPA..not sure) who I believe are passed over. I assume if you have decent stats, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Who told you the 100% stuff?

Just got a call from my recruiter today, says the results from the first board will be back next week on the 22nd.
Did you recruiter say anything else? Any news would be helpful. I wasn't nearly as nervous for the DAT as I am for this haha

Did you recruiter say anything else? Any news would be helpful. I wasn't nearly as nervous for the DAT as I am for this haha

Haha nope, that's all the information that's available at this time. I'll keep you all updated as I find out more, my recruiter is pretty top notch (unlike my AF recruiter)

Haha nope, that's all the information that's available at this time. I'll keep you all updated as I find out more, my recruiter is pretty top notch (unlike my AF recruiter)
Yea I'm a huge fan of my recruiter. She's so active and on top of everything. She called my orthodontist and demanded my letter of rec after he procrastinated for 3 months and she called my school and demanded a letter of acceptance with a real signature when they failed to provide one like 3 times. She definitely the best.

Yes, a lot of it depends on your recruiter. I've heard a few stories of slow recruiters, however, everyone I've been in contact with has been extremely helpful. It seemed like my recruiter called me every day ha. She processed all the paperwork the same day I sent it in and called me twice that same day to ask me to fax corrections and additional documents. If you want a good one, try the Army recruiter at Little Rock, AR.

I was also told that boards met this week and results should be out on the 22nd. Good luck everyone!

So how will they be notifying us? And will that be on the 22nd or later?

Hey everyone! I just spoke to my recruiter and they supposedly postponed the board results due to government shutdowns from the weather in DC. He mentioned they should have the results out sometime next week (Monday to Wednesday time frame). Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Hey everyone! I just spoke to my recruiter and they supposedly postponed the board results due to government shutdowns from the weather in DC. He mentioned they should have the results out sometime next week (Monday to Wednesday time frame). Has anyone else heard anything similar?

No surprise there.

haha....oh the government, so typical. yup, basically the same thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
JUST GOT THE CALL. Got offered the scholarship today, it's like being accepted to d-school all over again

Hey where are ya'll located? Did they mention how many were given out or anything along those lines? What were your stats?

Hey where are ya'll located? Did they mention how many were given out or anything along those lines? What were your stats?
West Coast, which may have something to do with it, since I got the call at 4pm. stats are gpa: 3.86 AA/TS/PAT: 24/25/22

West Coast, which may have something to do with it, since I got the call at 4pm. stats are gpa: 3.86 AA/TS/PAT: 24/25/22

That's what I was thinking. I noticed your location (I wanted to make sure it was accurate) and if you didn't get the call until 4:00 PM that means they may have been released pretty late in the day. My recruiter likes his weekends off :). I'm sitting at a 3.97 GPA and a 21 DAT so we'll see :/.

That's what I was thinking. I noticed your location (I wanted to make sure it was accurate) and if you didn't get the call until 4:00 PM that means they may have been released pretty late in the day. My recruiter likes his weekends off :). I'm sitting at a 3.97 GPA and a 21 DAT so we'll see :/.
I also haven't heard anything, but my recruiter sent me an email on Wed saying that the results hadn't been released and she was going to be out of the office for the rest of the week. Keeping my fingers crossed for Monday.

I have a 3.7 and 19 DAT and I got in. I'm in Utah.

I received the Navy HPSP as well as Army. Still working on making a final decision, even though I think I am leaning towards Navy. Thoughts? I keep hearing the Navy is better for locations, etc. but that they're worse because GMO tours and specialty stuff. Anyone know anything about this?

I received the Navy HPSP as well as Army. Still working on making a final decision, even though I think I am leaning towards Navy. Thoughts? I keep hearing the Navy is better for locations, etc. but that they're worse because GMO tours and specialty stuff. Anyone know anything about this?
Gmo tour? Are you planning to pass up the Navy's AEGD? What "specialty stuff" are you referring to?

Last edited:
No, I'm just a confused pre-dentistry student. One day my Army recruiter was trying to tell me there's problems with Navy GMOs, but I think she just isn't familiar with how dentistry works. I basically need to know what the deal is for how the specialties work in the Navy for HPSP recipients. Of course I have no clue if I want to specialize at all but it is something I want to consider.

No, I'm just a confused pre-dentistry student. One day my Army recruiter was trying to tell me there's problems with Navy GMOs, but I think she just isn't familiar with how dentistry works. I basically need to know what the deal is for how the specialties work in the Navy for HPSP recipients. Of course I have no clue if I want to specialize at all but it is something I want to consider.

Considering the Navy is the only branch with an actual post-graduate dental school, I would think you would have the easiest time specializing through them if you so wished. http://www.wrnmmc.capmed.mil/ResearchEducation/NPDS/SitePages/home.aspx

The January board would have 100% of those qualified accepted, February 100% of those qualified accepted, then it dips down after (for example 75% of those qualified accepted in March, 40% of those qualified accepted in April). DISCLAIMER: I am not sure what their standards for being "qualified" are..but I was told there are always a handful of applicants in the January/Feb boards who have much lower stats (perhaps an 18 AA and 3.0 GPA..not sure) who I believe are passed over. I assume if you have decent stats, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

whoow, how true is this statement?...

Got the call! SELECTED for the scholarship!!

Is there a minimum GPA requirement once the scholarship is received for the remainder of the semesters of undergrad? And is there one for dental school too?

Is there a minimum GPA requirement once the scholarship is received for the remainder of the semesters of undergrad? And is there one for dental school too?

my recruiter said minimum 3.0 in dental school

Last edited:
anyone here boarded in January or knows someone who boarded in feb and did NOT get the scholarship? I am boarding in february but I felt like my interview didn't go so well.

Anyone else's recruiter give them a deadline of 1 week to decide whether or not to accept the scholarship?

My recruiter keeps calling me, something about an influx of applicants so I need to decide asap

Got the call that I did not receive the scholarship. To be honest, I'm completely baffled.
Man, I'm sorry to hear that. You heard back from army yet? And for navy, are you on the alternate list?

Got the call that I did not receive the scholarship. To be honest, I'm completely baffled.
I did not receive receive a scholarship, either. I am a current D1 and was OML for Army and didn't get a medical waiver for the Navy (the branch I really wanted to go in). You can always do a direct ascension. That's what I plan on doing. Sure the scholarship is the best deal, but a DA is still pretty sweet. I want to serve first and foremost, scholarship or not. You can, too!

Is there anything on your application that you think caused this? Medical issues (don't be specific) or anything else that you think could be the reason?

Is there anything on your application that you think caused this? Medical issues (don't be specific) or anything else that you think could be the reason?

Nothing medical, had no marks on any of the medical sheets, etc. also extremely fit. However, I have a slight hunch that something minor I disclosed from years in my past (nothing involving the law) would be the only thing I could think of, but if that's it, then I'm still completely dumbfounded.

Nothing medical, had no marks on any of the medical sheets, etc. also extremely fit. However, I have a slight hunch that something minor I disclosed from years in my past (nothing involving the law) would be the only thing I could think of, but if that's it, then I'm still completely dumbfounded.

Sorry to hear. Maybe it's just a sign though. You never know where you will be in 4 years from now and what kind of opportunities will come about.

Utter craziness. Is your recruiter able to tell you what the red flag was?

Utter craziness. Is your recruiter able to tell you what the red flag was?

Just talked to my recruiter again and pretty much got confirmation of what I thought. I had to fill out a waiver form for something that was approved by the CO. However, as my recruiter learned yesterday as well, apparently nobody who has had to fill out this waiver has ever received the scholarship (so going through the approval process is apparently meaningless). My recruiter was just as shocked as I was and said everything in my packet (academics, recommendations, etc.) was golden. So all in all, don't look into my case if you're worried about receiving the scholarship. Time to wait on the Army.

Just talked to my recruiter an FYI for all of those still applying 50/60 scholarships have been awarded and 10 alternates have already been selected. Feb. boards will be competing for 10 spots. My recruiter also said that his office isn't taking any more applications for the hpsp

I guess increased COA has really made the hpsp super competitive.

Last edited:
Just talked to my recruiter an FYI for all of those still applying 50/60 scholarships have been awarded and 10 alternates have already been selected. Feb. boards will be competing for 10 spots. My recruiter also said that his office isn't taking any more applications for the hpsp

Is this for the whole United States?

Any idea on how many HSCP are left/were taken? there were supposed to be 20 total.

Any idea on how many HSCP are left/were taken? there were supposed to be 20 total.
Not sure about the HSCP, I didn't have it listed as a back up so I didn't ask, but I'm sure you'll recruiter will know if you call him. Supposedly they received an email yesterday with all the numbers, which is why they need to submit their applicants AYS forms asap

Is this for the whole United States?
Yessir, navy has been known to give out ~60 scholarships each year, I think more people are starting to see the benefits with the instance COA of dental school. My recruiter was surprised that they selected 50 applicants by the first board meeting though. Don't give up man, there's still hope!

Yessir, navy has been known to give out ~60 scholarships each year, I think more people are starting to see the benefits with the instance COA of dental school. My recruiter was surprised that they selected 50 applicants by the first board meeting though. Don't give up man, there's still hope!

WOW this is unbelievable. 50/60 scholarships taken already? wtf I thought January was the first board....

What's the point of holding february and march board then.. WOW...

WOW this is unbelievable. 50/60 scholarships taken already? wtf I thought January was the first board....

What's the point of holding february and march board then.. WOW...

Jan. was the first board meeting. I guess they just had a lot of applicants this year. As far as the Feb board, still 10 spots, just kill the interview and you'll be good

My recruiter gave me some numbers today that are much much more optimistic than the ones Troyvdg put out, but I won't even bother posting them because we have no idea whose recruiter is really putting out the true numbers. I don't want to get people's hopes up or down. There are applicants that are still in a waiting process for all sorts of waivers and my guess is that each recruiter unfortunately interpret applicants, "pending" applications, scholarships offered, etc. in different ways. And we don't have much insight into any of this either. For those of us still waiting, we will just find out sometime at the end of February/early March..that's what truly matters anyway. Good luck!