4 year Navy HPSP 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@chill45 @AVB2104

Curious, when were you guys told this next upcoming scholarship board meeting will be held?

Members don't see this ad.

@chill45 @AVB2104

Curious, when were you guys told this next upcoming scholarship board meeting will be held?

I was told (and showed the email) that the application was due to the review committee by Jan 28th but the actual board meeting will not be until a week or so later (can't remember that exactly). I want to say it was definitely between Feb 5th and the 12th, but we would know before Valentines Day at least.

I was told (and showed the email) that the application was due to the review committee by Jan 28th but the actual board meeting will not be until a week or so later (can't remember that exactly). I want to say it was definitely between Feb 5th and the 12th, but we would know before Valentines Day at least.

my recruiter said next board is middle of february.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm just saying that is what I saw in the email he had gotten earlier that day. I'm sure we will find out soon enough.

Haha Nice. Mine said next board meeting is Weds Feb. 26th with results coming out early March. :confused:

All this waiting is killing me. Really all I'm hoping is that they don't send my packet back complaining about another minor issue that isn't even an issue, just something they didn't understand. Wish I could talk to them in person and clarify instead of waiting once a month for them to contact my recruiter then have her contact me about a misunderstanding. Ugh never wanted anything so bad

I have to say, I'm really bummed out. I got a call past Monday from my recruiter saying that I didn't get HPSP but was offered HSCP instead. I don't know what could have gone wrong... I have a very strong DAT, ~3.6 GPA, didn't need any health waivers and passed meps without any glitch, all my phone interviews were 10s. My recruiter has been saying all along how I basically just have to apply to get the scholarship... I was too invested in my possible future as a navy dentist and now I'm really disappointed. Any thoughts on what could have gone wrong?

I have to say, I'm really bummed out. I got a call past Monday from my recruiter saying that I didn't get HPSP but was offered HSCP instead. I don't know what could have gone wrong... I have a very strong DAT, ~3.6 GPA, didn't need any health waivers and passed meps without any glitch, all my phone interviews were 10s. My recruiter has been saying all along how I basically just have to apply to get the scholarship... I was too invested in my possible future as a navy dentist and now I'm really disappointed. Any thoughts on what could have gone wrong?
your recruiter would probably have a better idea than us. The only other thing it could have been was your motivational statement or the number of acceptances you gave your recruiter to submit

your recruiter would probably have a better idea than us. The only other thing it could have been was your motivational statement or the number of acceptances you gave your recruiter to submit
What do you mean number of acceptances? Were you supposed to give more than one?

What do you mean number of acceptances? Were you supposed to give more than one?
No, you don't have to, but my recruiter mentioned that I had multiple acceptances in my application. Once again, not sure if this helps or not, your recruiter probably knows more.

Last edited:
No body knows for sure why you didn't get the scholarship. We can only speculate. Recruiters have no idea what's going on in that board meeting. This is just like dental school, where good stats don't guarantee acceptance..

Members don't see this ad :)
Just talked to my recruiter, I'm walking out of her office now. She showed me the official email from the board. So there are 62 slots available for the HPSP and 44 have been offered but only 39 students unofficially accepted. 5 students who were offered have rejected it, officially. So 23 slots left. And there are only 10 completed packets sent to board awaiting the next board meeting. I have no info on the HCSP.

Reactions: 1 users
Just talked to my recruiter, I'm walking out of her office now. She showed me the official email from the board. So there are 62 slots available for the HPSP and 44 have been offered but only 39 students unofficially accepted. 5 students who were offered have rejected it, officially. So 23 slots left. And there are only 10 completed packets sent to board awaiting the next board meeting. I have no info on the HCSP.

Yeah my recruiter sent me an email today. Said my packet as finally made it to boards and the scheduled meeting is on February 12th and I should know something shortly after that.

This is after January board right???

Yeah my recruiter sent me an email today. Said my packet as finally made it to boards and the scheduled meeting is on February 12th and I should know something shortly after that.

****, I just found out I am boarding in March instead of February... FML....

Thanks for updates guys. chill45...this is what my recruiter told me initially... Feb. 12th board meeting with Feb. 7th as deadline...but then said board meeting will be Feb. 26th. I have had my kit completed for a while so I am pretty confident I will be reviewed in the next board (whenever that is).

AVB2104 when in march did you recruiter say that board is? curius...mine said next one is Feb 26 with results out March 12...is this the one you are referring to? or one later?

Last edited:
Thanks for updates guys. chill45...this is what my recruiter told me initially... Feb. 12th board meeting with Feb. 7th as deadline...but then said board meeting will be Feb. 26th. LOL drives me nuts! I have had my kit completed for a while so I am pretty confident I will be reviewed in the next board (whenever that is).

AVB2104 when in march did you recruiter say that board is? curius...mine said next one is Feb 26 with results out March 12...is this the one you are referring to? or one later?

I think I am boarding the one after february 26th because he said I won't be able to meet the deadline for february board.

My recruiter told me the same thing today. ~23 slots available to the people going to Feb boards. Said there are 28 packets being submitted for Feb boards. But there's two boards in Feb I think, 12th and 26th

I think I am boarding the one after february 26th because he said I won't be able to meet the deadline for february board.

Isn't the deadline just the week before? So if a board is meeting Weds (feb. 12) isn't the deadline today to meet that?

Do you have any idea when the deadline was to be submitted for the board meeting next week then (feb. 12)? Wonder if it is today or if it was last Friday.

My recruiter told me the same thing today. ~23 slots available to the people going to Feb boards. Said there are 28 packets being submitted for Feb boards. But there's two boards in Feb I think, 12th and 26th

Nice..thanks..I wonder if it was only 10 fully completed of the 28 kits submitted, both "mostly completed" (like AVB's) and fully completed. I am just trying to reconcile all the data :). and the two boards in Feb would make sense on what I'm being told by my recruiter..they probably thought the earlier board was moved back to Feb 26 instead of that one also being added...well I hope so at least!

Do you have any idea when the deadline was to be submitted for the board meeting next week then (feb. 12)? Wonder if it is today or if it was last Friday.

Per my recruiters email that he got from them and he showed me when I was in his office a couple weeks ago to fix a couple issues with my report, it said the deadline was on Jan 28th for the next board (which he told me yesterday will be on Feb 12th and that my packet was there). If there are two boards in Feb I do not know but thats possible. Like the rest of you I only know what he has told me but he has showed me that email too. Who knows really but I do expect to hear something in the next 10 days about my application.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all, and congratulations to those of you who have been selected... I am in the process of applying for the Navy but have hit a devastating road block. I am in the process of losing a significant amount of weight, after going through MEPS last week and having been told I passed I was contacted by my recruiter a few days latter saying that I did not pass and I have to wait a mandatory 6 weeks to go back to MEPS. March 14 will be my next MEPS date and will hopefully be the day I submit my package. But having been set back that far does anyone know if there will be any spots left? I read on here that 50 spots were given initially, and with two more boards being held in Feb it just seems like there is no more hope for me. This is something I have dreamed about for years and I am currently crushed having found out that everything was perfect for my MEPS exam besides my weight. Can anyone give me any advice? Also for those selected is the deadline to fully commit to the spot or is it to give those who already know for sure that they are no longer interested the opportunity to give up their spot. And in the event that I have to resort to possibly signing up for the 3 year HPSP is it true that those spots are only open if all the 4 year spots are not filled, or will they open up slots for the 3 year program despite having filled all the 4 year slots. Thanks in advance for all your help.

P.S. I have everything else completed.

Hello all, and congratulations to those of you who have been selected... I am in the process of applying for the Navy but have hit a devastating road block. I am in the process of losing a significant amount of weight, after going through MEPS last week and having been told I passed I was contacted by my recruiter a few days latter saying that I did not pass and I have to wait a mandatory 6 weeks to go back to MEPS. March 14 will be my next MEPS date and will hopefully be the day I submit my package. But having been set back that far does anyone know if there will be any spots left? I read on here that 50 spots were given initially, and with two more boards being held in Feb it just seems like there is no more hope for me. This is something I have dreamed about for years and I am currently crushed having found out that everything was perfect for my MEPS exam besides my weight. Can anyone give me any advice? Also for those selected is the deadline to fully commit to the spot or is it to give those who already know for sure that they are no longer interested the opportunity to give up their spot. And in the event that I have to resort to possibly signing up for the 3 year HPSP is it true that those spots are only open if all the 4 year spots are not filled, or will they open up slots for the 3 year program despite having filled all the 4 year slots. Thanks in advance for all your help.

P.S. I have everything else completed.
From what my recruiter has told me, there are two boards in Feb, on the 12th and 26th. As of last week, there were 28 submitted for board review; however there are only 23 spots. After February, it seems that hpsp slots will hard to come by; there is an alternate list, in the event that someone who has been chosen for the hpsp declines (which can happen all the way up until they commission). I'd contact your recruiter and talk to him about the deadlines/your chances for a 4 year scholarship.

Anyone have any updates on board dates being today and/or Feb. 26th and any numbers? My recruiter didn't say anything about the Feb. 12th board today, just the one on the 26th. Not sure if they just didn't know about it or if they are trying to have me not stress haha. I've been complete for a long time.

I talked to my recruiter today. He said there's about 40 scholarships left and there are 23 completed packets so far. But all recruiters say something different...so......

BTW, my recruiter told me I don't need an interview because my GPA is >3.50 and DAT>19. I see that most of you with scores higher than that had an interview. How come he is saying I don't need one? Will this hurt my chances (beside the fact that i'm super late)?

I talked to my recruiter today. He said there's about 40 scholarships left and there are 23 completed packets so far. But all recruiters say something different...so......

BTW, my recruiter told me I don't need an interview because my GPA is >3.50 and DAT>19. I see that most of you with scores higher than that had an interview. How come he is saying I don't need one? Will this hurt my chances (beside the fact that i'm super late)?

Well, that's new. Maybe he meant the other way around, 23 spots left ~40 given away, because that would be on par with what my recruiter said. To put it in perspective, 24AA, 3.86 Gpa, had two interviews. According to my recruiter, it was required.

Last edited:

When I first asked about Navy way back in November, my recruiter told me the same thing in regard to interviews. I'm barely under 3.5 so I had to do the interviews, both by phone. I also work on a Navy base as a civvy so I actually got a third interview from the base dentist. From what I understand, they all go in your packet, so it would be beneficial to at least request an interview.

I am not so sure about the interview. My GPA is 3.93, DAT: 23 and I had two interviews. So, you might want to double check on that.

I am not so sure about the interview. My GPA is 3.93, DAT: 23 and I had two interviews. So, you might want to double check on that.
recruiter told me anyone with a DAT below 20 or a GPA under 3.5 was required to have an interview.

I have a 3.97 GPA and a 21AA and my recruiter still made me do interviews...

I would go back and tell him to fix his ****. He got it all wrong. There are 39 given out and 23 left. Also, you have to have an interview. It's required. I had a 26 DAT and still had the interview. Your packet will go to board and be sent back without the interviews and you'll be even more late. If your recruiter tells you something wrong, don't accept it. Fix it asap.

Ok, I know I didn't get the scholarship (for a specific reason not because of stats), but get the facts right. You DO NOT need the interviews if you have stats gpa>3.5 and DAT>19, @Jaesango is correct here. If you have stats over this, you can still do the interviews as they can only help you (unless you are socially inept). That's why your recruiters (including mine) made you do them anyway, they are a positive influence. Hope that clears things up for you all.

Got the call this morning from my recruiter that I got the scholarship. @GJMeig is correct that you do not need the interviews if your stats are high enough. I had a 3.60 GPA with a 20 DAT and did not do any interviews. My board meeting was yesterday and he called me at 8 this morning with the news.

Got the call this morning from my recruiter that I got the scholarship. @GJMeig is correct that you do not need the interviews if your stats are high enough. I had a 3.60 GPA with a 20 DAT and did not do any interviews. My board meeting was yesterday and he called me at 8 this morning with the news.

also heard I was selected around 8am this morning^ congrats chill45. I received the HSCP though (it was my first choice with HPSP as backup). I didn't do any interviews either.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is FOR SURE a board meeting on February 26th?? Also when was the deadline to submit your completed packets for this board date? My packet was completed yesterday (along with interviews, etc) and when I asked my recruiter again, he vaguely said I might be boarding in february instead of march. WTH I don't know how this sh1t works..... He doesn't even know if there are two boards in february...

Last edited:
also heard I was selected around 8am this morning^ congrats chill45. I received the HSCP though (it was my first choice with HPSP as backup). I didn't do any interviews either.
Congrats! With your background, you seem like a great candidate for HSCP.

YEESSSSS!!!! I got "professionally recommended" wow what a weight off my shoulders.

For those of you who worked hard for it and truly deserve it, I really hope you get it too. Truly an honor to finally be a part of the United States Navy.

Quick question, at this point, is it pretty much guaranteed "professionally recommended" means I got the scholarship? Is there any reason someone won't get it after being professionally recommended?

Reactions: 1 user
YEESSSSS!!!! I got "professionally recommended" wow what a weight off my shoulders.

For those of you who worked hard for it and truly deserve it, I really hope you get it too. Truly an honor to finally be a part of the United States Navy.

Quick question, at this point, is it pretty much guaranteed "professionally recommended" means I got the scholarship? Is there any reason someone won't get it after being professionally recommended?
I'm wondering the same thing. I don't think there is, but I'm applying for FAFSA just as a back-up just in case. I submitted my Academic Year Statement and waiting for the next step. Anyone else know what to expect next?

Does anyone know if there is FOR SURE a board meeting on February 26th?? Also when was the deadline to submit your completed packets for this board date? My packet was completed yesterday (along with interviews, etc) and when I asked my recruiter again, he vaguely said I might be boarding in february instead of march. WTH I don't know how this sh1t works..... He doesn't even know if there are two boards in february...

Just because your packet is complete doesn't mean it won't be kicked back for some reason. I had my Navy packet complete right before the deadline for the February board, and it got kicked back because I didn't have an up to date tattoo form...

Just because your packet is complete doesn't mean it won't be kicked back for some reason. I had my Navy packet complete right before the deadline for the February board, and it got kicked back because I didn't have an up to date tattoo form...

Lol this is funny because my recruiter printed out a new tattoo form 2 days ago and made me sign it again...

And yeah I heard after your app is complete it's forwarded to the committee for further review. I hope my app doesn't get sent back so I can make the feb 26th board...

Yes this means you are awarded the scholarship. My recruiter said the only reason you wouldn't is if you took way too long on the paperwork (i.e. basically didn't follow through with it yourself). Of course, it isn't absolutely 100% final until you sign your name, but about as close as it can get at this point.

Yes this means you are awarded the scholarship. My recruiter said the only reason you wouldn't is if you took way too long on the paperwork (i.e. basically didn't follow through with it yourself). Of course, it isn't absolutely 100% final until you sign your name, but about as close as it can get at this point.
Awesome thank you. When do they send the paperwork? When do we swear in?

I was under the impression that my app was reviewed at the Feb 12 boards. My recruiter told me before the boards that my app was professionally reccommended and set to be reviewed feb 12. Today he called me and said that under my status from the boards it said I needed a letter of good standing from my university--does this mean that my app was incomplete and I wasn't reviewed? I thought that professionally reccommended meant that it was...do I still have a shot?

I was under the impression that my app was reviewed at the Feb 12 boards. My recruiter told me before the boards that my app was professionally reccommended and set to be reviewed feb 12. Today he called me and said that under my status from the boards it said I needed a letter of good standing from my university--does this mean that my app was incomplete and I wasn't reviewed? I thought that professionally reccommended meant that it was...do I still have a shot?

Hmmm not sure, sounds like you need to ask him those questions. I thought professionally recommended meant it had been reviewed and was good to go. I would guess that they just mean they need a letter saying that you are still on track to graduate this spring and aren't failing any classes or are a class short of getting your degree. I graduated last may so I doubt this would apply to me but that would be my best guess and seems logical.