A not so typical circumstance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clcpod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me on this. I don't know the exact meaning for the term "troll" that you all use, however, I see a trend, and I fear that you may think that's what I'm doing...?

But anyway! I'm in this situation where I went to a really small high school, and it was fairly easy, and I got really good grades, so I got into Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. I thought I was so bad ass until I got there and EVERYONE was a super genius. They had done the experiments we were performing in our bio labs at Case while they were in HIGH SCHOOL... and... I just had no idea what I had gotten myself into-- in fact to give you an idea of where I stood compared to the other students in the class... I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A PIPETTE WAS!! (but I do now lol). I struggled there for two years, and left there with a 2.7 GPA.

After I left Case, I transferred to John Carroll, which is also a small, private school in Cleveland (which was also my first choice out of highschool, but Case offered me more money). I just finished my first semester at JCU and I received a 3.26 GPA while taking some difficult classes simultaneously. It's not ridiculously high, but after what I've been through at Case, I'm just happy its above a 3.0.

I will have more than 90 credit hours with the passing of this coming semester, and I plan to take the MCAT over the summer and then start applying to podiatry schools. My dilemma is that I am not planning on obtaining my undergraduate degree since JCU is a liberal arts school with a crazy core requirment that I will never fulfill within the next year and a half.

I was wondering if you guys thought I might be in a bit of trouble with the previous grades, applying without a degree, etc. Or, if you possibly think that changing schools and getting in a more comfortable environment for myself and doing better was a good move, and that the podiatry schools will see that.

I had to send my *awful* grades from Case to OCPM in order to get a spot in their internship program (which starts tomorrow! I'm so excited) and as soon as I sent them, they called me the next day. I thought it would hurt my chances, but obviously not.

Also, does anyone know if acceptances into undergraduate internship programs increase chances of acceptance into the program, or if there are correlations with people who are accepted into the internship with who gets accepted into a program?

Thanks in advance to all of those who offer help... and I hope I didn't turn out to be a "troll"

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine for OCPM; it is one of the less selective pod programs. You may be able to get a scholarship there or at other programs if you study hard, do well on the MCAT, and apply early in the cycle.

Enjoy your shadowing and find out more about podiatry in the meantime. The internship programs are a nice way to get insight.

Have fun at the ocpm internship. I did it last year (in january) and it was a very good experience!!!

But anyway! I'm in this situation where I went to a really small high school, and it was fairly easy, and I got really good grades, so I got into Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland. I thought I was so bad ass until I got there and EVERYONE was a super genius. They had done the experiments we were performing in our bio labs at Case while they were in HIGH SCHOOL... and... I just had no idea what I had gotten myself into-- in fact to give you an idea of where I stood compared to the other students in the class... I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT A PIPETTE WAS!! (but I do now lol). I struggled there for two years, and left there with a 2.7 GPA.

After I left Case, I transferred to John Carroll, which is also a small, private school in Cleveland (which was also my first choice out of highschool, but Case offered me more money). I just finished my first semester at JCU and I received a 3.26 GPA while taking some difficult classes simultaneously. It's not ridiculously high, but after what I've been through at Case, I'm just happy its above a 3.0.
"

Don't feel bad, I think you will be fine...
I too was in a similar situation, except I went to high school in rural Alaska...with 30 students altogether. There were only 5 in my graduating class and ofcourse I had the best grades because it was ridiculously easy...
it sucked to have my first REAL bio class in college as a bio major, with other students that went to much better high schools in the city and already had AP bio or knew the material much better. It did take a year or so for me to catch-up, but I did really well overall.
But, what I really want to say is that I survived...and I am sure you will too. So, just work hard and give it your best! and stay positive!