A.T. Still University (ATSU-SOMA) Arizona Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do I need a letter from the community health clinic I volunteered at?
Yes... I got LOR from two different DOs in community clinics and 1 from Special Olympics where I volunteered. I used those as confirmation.

Members don't see this ad.

c. How do you plan to be involved with medically underserved populations in your medical career? How have your past volunteer experiences influenced your plans?

Do you think mentioning how a work experience also influenced you is okay?

I want someone to say they got an interview so then I can be neurotic over that next. :beat:

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Well, just realized I put AZCOM instead of ATSU SOMA in a secondary answer. Better add another school to make up for this loss.
Lol. I applied to CCOM and AZCOM. I got so paranoid checking the secondaries to make sure I didnt switch AZCOM and CCOM in the essays.

Reactions: 1 user
If my letters are all on AACOMAS/Interfolio, how do i fill out the evaluation section?

Did anyone chose to answer this 2nd question: b. What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?

I was wondering how to address my weakness without making it sound too negative?

Any idea? Thanks!

Did anyone chose to answer this 2nd question: b. What would be your strongest attribute as a SOMA student? What would be your weakest?

I was wondering how to address my weakness without making it sound too negative?

Any idea? Thanks!
I don't think that mine had this question??

How exactly do i send in evaluations if i already uploaded them to AACOMAS?

How exactly do i send in evaluations if i already uploaded them to AACOMAS?

You don't need to--they already have them. My LORs are in AACOMAS and SOMA marked them as received on the secondary after I submitted.

for this question:
"List any other, specifically community-service-type, programs in which you have participated (if any). Any (principally non-medical) activity that is non-compensated and volunteer, other than observation/shadowing, is acceptable. Must be verifiable."

What if I just volunteered with a community based program like habitat and I didn't have a supervisor and therefore don't have a phone number for anyone? will it look bad if I N/A this?

Members don't see this ad :)
for this question:
"List any other, specifically community-service-type, programs in which you have participated (if any). Any (principally non-medical) activity that is non-compensated and volunteer, other than observation/shadowing, is acceptable. Must be verifiable."

What if I just volunteered with a community based program like habitat and I didn't have a supervisor and therefore don't have a phone number for anyone? will it look bad if I N/A this?

IMO, I would give the phone number of the organization in your area.

For the evaluations, they ask for contact info about the writers, this is just for their record keeping right ? I assume the school receives the actual LORs from AACOMAS ?

In other words, we don't have to submit the LORs to this school separately ?

Just heard about this school and decided to add it to my list!

Does anyone know how and when CHCs are assigned? Is it in OMSI or during matriculation? Is it by lottery or does a student get to choose?

How difficult will it be on people having to not only move to AZ to attend, but then move again for the second year? My gf will be moving with me, and I'm not sure how easy it will be for us to move twice

How difficult will it be on people having to not only move to AZ to attend, but then move again for the second year? My gf will be moving with me, and I'm not sure how easy it will be for us to move twice
What do you mean move for the second year?

IIRC reading last year's thread, you have to move for MS2. (I could be wrong thinking of this, are there any current students that could help?)

IIRC reading last year's thread, you have to move for MS2. (I could be wrong thinking of this, are there any current students that could help?)
Yes most everyone moves for second year unless you are assigned to the Phoenix CHC which you would not have to move unless you wanted to. Once you are accepted you get to rank the CHC's. You can choose to rank all of them or just the ones that you really want to go to. You will know your CHC placement before school starts. Depending on when you interview and are accepted will dictate which CHC's will be available to you. For example I ranked Phoenix first then Tuscon and then Flagstaff. When I was accepted in January none of those were available, but within a few weeks I was placed in Flagstaff. If none of the CHC's that you rank become available by the time school starts you will have the option to defer your acceptance until the next year. Hope this helps!

that was a ton of help thanks! do you know how often students defer acceptance for the following year?

Oh wow. I didn't know that it depends on your acceptance date. I would love to go to Brooklyn for a year but I suspect that that site gets filled up really quickly as well.

that was a ton of help thanks! do you know how often students defer acceptance for the following year?
I don't know for sure, but it is rumored to be around 30 because of the students they accept pending an open seat when the class is full + those that defer to get one of their top CHC choices. I am not sure if it is all based on acceptance date, but it would make since because those that are accepted earlier get to pick before those interviewed after them.

How did individuals apply to SOMA without basic inquiry into the school...it has a vastly different curriculum.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey I got an email saying that only unofficial Mcat scores were received my soma but I released all scores to aacomas and they received it. Is there anything I need to do? Anyone else have this problem?

Hey guys, first year at SOMA here... good luck to everyone applying this cycle!!!!

When should we start hearing back about possible II? Anyone know?

Anyone else out there who didn't get a secondary yet despite being verified for a few weeks?

I submitted my secondary last night, on the status page it says Application in Progress next to Evaluation I, Evaluation II and MCAT. Does this mean once they pull that info from AACOMAS/ Interfolio (LOR's) that will be updated?

Just want to make sure there's nothing I need to do on my end. Thanks! :)

I submitted my secondary last night, on the status page it says Application in Progress next to Evaluation I, Evaluation II and MCAT. Does this mean once they pull that info from AACOMAS/ Interfolio (LOR's) that will be updated?

Just want to make sure there's nothing I need to do on my end. Thanks! :)

Once they acknowledge your secondary they will give you a confirmation # to use. That # will let you check to see if/when they receive your evals, MCAT, and secondary

Once they acknowledge your secondary they will give you a confirmation # to use. That # will let you check to see if/when they receive your evals, MCAT, and secondary

Great, thanks so much

When should we start hearing back about possible II? Anyone know?

The earliest interview invite on SDN was 7/29 last year, so hopefully we'll start to see some invites this week!

I wouldn't say a lot. I have volunteered in our inner-city free health clinic that serves the homeless/poor population for a year and a half. I also have worked in EMS for seven years, some of that work has been in a rural under-served region and some in an urban region with a high percentage of people living below the poverty level.

Current first year student here. Feel free to message me with any questions or concerns you may have.

Got an II but it says it's for the class of 2016 :confused:, pending an open seat. Did anyone else get this email?

Good I thought I filled out the wrong year or something.
Probably just a silly mistake. I think they accidentally did the same thing last cycle, too. As far as I know, we haven't even had an interview day yet since there aren't any student ambassadors yet.