AACPMAS 2015-2016 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Scholl acceptees... how long did it take to get an acceptance after your interview? I will have an interview on 11/23 and I will only have until 11/30 to answer Barry and Midwestern

I heard back three days later.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Scholl acceptees... how long did it take to get an acceptance after your interview? I will have an interview on 11/23 and I will only have until 11/30 to answer Barry and Midwestern
I heard back 10 days later. But that's the longest I've seen compared to other acceptances to scholl. I'm wondering if it had anything to do with me interviewing on their first interview day of this cycle or not, although they did tell me from the beginning that it would take about 2 weeks to reach the decision.

Reactions: 2 users

I was told immediately after my interview that I was going to be accepted and got my official acceptance the next day. This is not the norm, but from what they told us and from others you should hear back in about a week.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kinda stuck right now. WesternU vs NYCPM. I'm trying not to let my California native (Bay Area) biases kick in as I make this decision but it's a tough one because I love both for diff reasons

I'm kinda stuck right now. WesternU vs NYCPM. I'm trying not to let my California native (Bay Area) biases kick in as I make this decision but it's a tough one because I love both for diff reasons

If you don't know go to the cheaper one. Or the one that has best residency placement.

I was also accepted to Western, but I didn't see anything that they have to offer that's worth braving their 33% nongraduation rate. If there's a 1/3 chance that you'll drop out or fail out and then have to try transferring to and starting all over again at NYCPM, which there is, then just go to NYCPM.

Yeah what bob said. DANG 33% is horrible

So people have heard back from DMU with later interviews than I had. Is that a bad sign orrrrrr?

Got accepted into Scholl, but I still need to take Orgo II. Does anyone know if it's ok to take it at a community college? I also got into NYCPM. I like both schools, especially bc they are either by or in the city. I've heard a lot of good things here about Scholl, but is there anyone who's going to NYCPM over Scholl and if so, can you please explain how you ended up deciding?

Last Monday, the 9th. They said we should find out in about a week, but when I called earlier they said it will be Wedesday or the Monday after.

Last Monday, the 9th. They said we should find out in about a week, but when I called earlier they said it will be Wedesday or the Monday after.
They said you would find out this upcoming wednesday? so like the 25th?

Got accepted to Scholl!! :woot:

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They said you would find out this upcoming Monday?
They said that we would most likely find out this last Monday (16th), so one week from the interview. Now I'm supposed to find out the 25th or 30th. I feel like the delay can't be a good thing, but DMU was my number one choice so I am holding out hope. I just don't know why they would delay when later interviews know already.

http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/podiatric_medicine/performance

what the hell are the stats for cspm... why are the hiding it like that..

i want to see 2013, 2014, and 2015 stats in that order to see if they are improving... but they combine this shot to hide the true yearly values... bs

They are required to post it like that by CPME. Every school has to put it on their website the same so there is no way to mislead applicants. Some schools use to put pass rates after retakes while others put rates for first time takers. In reality every school has a higher pass rate because you can take part I more than once. There are some really smart students that fail boards the first time. It just happens. People have bad test days and good ones and the APMLE part I is completely random (I only had a few LEA questions). If you want detailed stats and have specific questions make a call to the school or ask the questions during interviews.

Examples from other schools:
http://www.kent.edu/cpm/cpme-outcomes
http://www.barry.edu/podiatry/podiatry-medicine-school/about-the-program/cpme-outcome-data.html
https://www.dmu.edu/cpms/program-outcomes/

They look the same. Kent is different because they don't lump their students together.

I hear ya. While applying I made a lot of decisions based on the """current statistics""" of some of the pod schools. Even in the current 2015-2016 AACPMAS booklet most of the schools are only posting statistics from 2012-2013. smoke and mirrors
HA! I think this is funny because I went to an interview and wanted to be on my game so I studied everything I could about the program from the booklet. I asked questions based on information in the booklet and it turned out that the information was wrong.

Last edited:
They said that we would most likely find out this last Monday (16th), so one week from the interview. Now I'm supposed to find out the 25th or 30th. I feel like the delay can't be a good thing, but DMU was my number one choice so I am holding out hope. I just don't know why they would delay when later interviews know already.
I interviewed a few days after you and haven't heard anything yet either... I think that they give out scholarship acceptances first. It seems like everybody who is accepted within the week usually has been getting a scholarship

Got accepted into Scholl, but I still need to take Orgo II. Does anyone know if it's ok to take it at a community college? I also got into NYCPM. I like both schools, especially bc they are either by or in the city. I've heard a lot of good things here about Scholl, but is there anyone who's going to NYCPM over Scholl and if so, can you please explain how you ended up deciding?
BCPM pre-reqs at community college-No
Non pre-req courses-Yes

So people have heard back from DMU with later interviews than I had. Is that a bad sign orrrrrr?
It's not a sign of anything. DMU has accepted people this cycle a few days after the interview and over a week after the interview.

Got accepted into Scholl, but I still need to take Orgo II. Does anyone know if it's ok to take it at a community college? I also got into NYCPM.
I have some prereqs from community college and I got accepted to Western, AZPod, and Temple (might've been more but I cancelled the rest of my interviews). Especially if you've already been accepted then I don't see why it would matter. But since you definitely don't wanna jeopardize anything at this stage in the game, you should contact Scholl and NYCPM and ask directly.

Well I made it officially official this morning....accepted my offer to Scholl! I'm really excited about the program and am looking forward to meeting those that have already accepted there as well. Good luck to everyone still looking to find a new place to call home.

Reactions: 3 users
Sweet! When did you interview and get accepted?
I interviewed on Oct 27 and got accepted the 28th or 29th..

Got Scholl interview invite 20 minutes after I confirmed AZ... Has anyone interviewed at both these schools? And why/would you pick one over the other? Any info is appreciated!

I interviewed on Oct 27 and got accepted the 28th or 29th..

Got Scholl interview invite 20 minutes after I confirmed AZ... Has anyone interviewed at both these schools? And why/would you pick one over the other? Any info is appreciated!

I was accepted to both. They were my top two choices and I really liked the area for each school. What it came down to was much earlier clinical experience at Scholl (2nd year as opposed to 3rd year at Arizona and every other school from what I understand). Also, I did not like that at Azpod you are essentially being trained as a DO. 30 DPM's mixed in with 200 DO's, doing the exact same courses at the same time the first 2 years. There are a handful of classes that differ in this time period that focuses more on each profession, but all of the basic science courses are taken with each other. This certainly might appeal to other people, and it's not necessarily a bad thing, just wasn't for me. I liked how Scholl integrates other professions into some of the classes you take, but not to the extent that it is done at Azpod. Finally, I would have to say that since I got a scholarship to Scholl, that certainly helped to sweeten the deal! Other than that I just got really good vibes from the environment, faculty, and students at Scholl.

Last edited:
I was accepted to both. They were my top two choices and I really liked the area for each school. What it came down to was much earlier clinical experience at Scholl (2nd year as opposed to 3rd year at Arizona and every other school from what I understand). Also, I did not like that at Azpod you are essentially being trained as a DO. 30 DPM's mixed in with 200 DO's, doing the exact same courses at the same time the first 2 years. There are a handful of classes that differ in this time period that focuses more on each profession, but all of the basic science courses are taken with each other. This certainly might appeal to other people, and it's not necessarily a bad thing, just wasn't for me. I liked how Scholl integrates other professions into some of the classes you take, but not to the extent that it is done at Azpod. Finally, I would have to say that since I got a scholarship to Scholl, that certainly helped to sweeten the deal! Other than that I just got really good vibes from the environment, faculty, and students at Scholl.

unlike School, CSPM is only 48 students... CSPM also has early clinicals.. which begin at the start of 2nd year.

unlike School, CSPM is only 48 students... CSPM also has early clinicals.. which begin at the start of 2nd year.
That's good! I didn't apply there and am not 100% sure on what CSPM does. I'm sure you'll have a great experience there.

There is early exposure at azpod via the community service, but it is not as strong as NYCPM or other schools. I see your point about the DO thing.. I am still unsure if its beneficial or not.
The residency match rate and board scores are much lower for Scholl than Azpod. Was that concerning for you? Scholarship would definitely be a make or break point for me, lol.
I think I will interview just for the heck of it..no guarantee I'll even get in.

There is early exposure at azpod via the community service, but it is not as strong as NYCPM or other schools. I see your point about the DO thing.. I am still unsure if its beneficial or not.
The residency match rate and board scores are much lower for Scholl than Azpod. Was that concerning for you? Scholarship would definitely be a make or break point for me, lol.
I think I will interview just for the heck of it..no guarantee I'll even get in.
Here is the link from scholls website with some information straddling 2013-2015 as far as board pass rates and residency placement http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/scholl/SCPMProgramOutcomes.aspx
Statistics do tell some sort of story, but when I was comparing azpod and scholl stats, there wasn't enough of a difference to convince me that azpod would be giving me some secret to success that I would be missing out on if I didn't go. I believe that if you prepare thoroughly then you will be able to pass your boards and if you set yourself up with enough clinical opportunities, stay on top of your grades, or engage in outside research, then you are setting yourself up for success overall. In addition to residency placement, there has been a shortage of spots in recent years. I remember seeing someone saying on here that it was supposedly clearing up in the next few years so that there should be more spots around the time we would be looking to get placed. But that's more of a wait and see type of thing in the long run. When I visited Azpod, I really did like it quite a bit. Beautiful campus, nice people, warm weather, upscale area, etc. It's not a bad place to be at all and they have a very successful program. But something about Scholl just felt more right in the end for me. You're going to be working hard wherever it is that you end up going, so really just make sure you are comfortable with wherever that is :thumbup:

Last edited:

Don't worry. I had my interview on the 6th, and got my acceptance two weeks later (the 20th late at night) with a scholarship. If you don't hear anything by the end of the day I would give them a call or send an email.

Just received interview from DMU! Going to need advice from you guys!

I had my interview 2 weeks ago and I was asked: "tell us a time you broke a rule", "why podiatry", "tell us a time where you had to be reliable", "what did you learn from being a medical scribe that will be of value for you as a future doctor".

Honestly, I wasn't prepared for these questions so I sounded like an idiot with my stupid answers.. But I was accepted! Haha so don't stress out about it.

Really spend some time with the interview feedback questions, I felt like I got drilled during my interview, but I was pretty prepared by making a study sheet using the interview questions. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:
Okay so I thought I would just throw this out here, even though I have been reading quite a bit between the two within the threads.

I've already paid my seat deposit at DMU and finished all the forms, however I was also just accepted to Scholl. I was really impressed by the facilities at Scholl but my gut is still telling me DMU. I know everyone is most likely going to say then go with your gut, which ultimately is what I most likely will end up doing, but I am still stuck on comparing the two. I know the academics at DMU in the first two years are second to none, but then Scholl has the upper hand when it comes to clinical hours in the last two years. It's difficult I feel to compare the two when they have obvious strengths in the opposite areas, but does one out weigh the other?

Also does anyone know if there is a preference given to students from a particular school on residency placement beyond just a general geographical area? I would imagine more Midwestern schools place in Midwestern residencies, same thing with the East and West coast schools. However, I am trying to judge on the placement residencies for students lets say in Michigan, I notices Scholl has many more matching residencies in Michigan than DMU, but is this a deal breaker for placement in the end?

Just curious on everyone's thoughts between the schools (I know there are countless threads on this lol) and possible advantages of clinical experiences and placement.

Thanks!

Okay so I thought I would just throw this out here, even though I have been reading quite a bit between the two within the threads.

I've already paid my seat deposit at DMU and finished all the forms, however I was also just accepted to Scholl. I was really impressed by the facilities at Scholl but my gut is still telling me DMU. I know everyone is most likely going to say then go with your gut, which ultimately is what I most likely will end up doing, but I am still stuck on comparing the two. I know the academics at DMU in the first two years are second to none, but then Scholl has the upper hand when it comes to clinical hours in the last two years. It's difficult I feel to compare the two when they have obvious strengths in the opposite areas, but does one out weigh the other?

Also does anyone know if there is a preference given to students from a particular school on residency placement beyond just a general geographical area? I would imagine more Midwestern schools place in Midwestern residencies, same thing with the East and West coast schools. However, I am trying to judge on the placement residencies for students lets say in Michigan, I notices Scholl has many more matching residencies in Michigan than DMU, but is this a deal breaker for placement in the end?

Just curious on everyone's thoughts between the schools (I know there are countless threads on this lol) and possible advantages of clinical experiences and placement.

Thanks!
From the way it was explained to me, it can be a good idea to plan for externships/clerkships in area's of the country or at hospitals that you hope to do your residency at. I guess it can help a particular hospital to get a feel for you and possibly be willing to extend a residency opportunity to you if they liked you or know that you have done work there. Also if you have done research while in school, a particular hospital may desire you because you line up with something they are currently involved in. It also helps if the school is more affiliated with or has contacts at different residency opportunities. But does any of it involve where you went to school, probably to a certain degree, however im sure most schools place individuals all over the country in the end.

I know the academics at DMU in the first two years are second to none, but then Scholl has the upper hand when it comes to clinical hours in the last two years. It's difficult I feel to compare the two when they have obvious strengths in the opposite areas, but does one out weigh the other?

First of all, one of the big reasons I chose Temple is clinical experience. In the end we will all need to be sharp academically and clinically to be great pods. However, any one of us can learn any of the academics through books, video recordings, audio recordings, et cetera. The same cannot be said for clinical experience. There really is no substitute for the social and medical situations you'll experience in a clinical setting. Anybody can get top notch academic training at any one of the schools depending on how much effort they wanna put in, but for most of the schools, clinical experience is lacking.

As for residency placement preference, you should speak to some current third or fourth years at different schools or maybe current residents. My understanding from speaking to a few is that there are preferences. For instance, I believe that each school only has their own pool of residencies for you to choose your core 6 month rotation from during your clinical years. Also, for a specific example, I mentioned to a student that I'm from San Antonio and he said that the residency program in San Antonio had a couple of poor experiences with students from Temple and now they rarely take students from Temple. But if you look at the residency program information, of course they still say that they will accept students from any of the nine colleges. So there are probably these covert preferences throughout the country between different residencies and different schools. You'll probably only get specifics from current students or residents from the schools you're thinking of attending.

First of all, one of the big reasons I chose Temple is clinical experience. In the end we will all need to be sharp academically and clinically to be great pods. However, any one of us can learn any of the academics through books, video recordings, audio recordings, et cetera. The same cannot be said for clinical experience. There really is no substitute for the social and medical situations you'll experience in a clinical setting. Anybody can get top notch academic training at any one of the schools depending on how much effort they wanna put in, but for most of the schools, clinical experience is lacking.

As for residency placement preference, you should speak to some current third or fourth years at different schools or maybe current residents. My understanding from speaking to a few is that there are preferences. For instance, I believe that each school only has their own pool of residencies for you to choose your core 6 month rotation from during your clinical years. Also, for a specific example, I mentioned to a student that I'm from San Antonio and he said that the residency program in San Antonio had a couple of poor experiences with students from Temple and now they rarely take students from Temple. But if you look at the residency program information, of course they still say that they will accept students from any of the nine colleges. So there are probably these covert preferences throughout the country between different residencies and different schools. You'll probably only get specifics from current students or residents from the schools you're thinking of attending.

So, Bob, which of the schools do you feel offer the best clinical education? I think you have researched the schools pretty thoroughly from what I've seen you post in the past, care to offer us a ranking? :D

Thanks!

I too would like more discussion on Scholl vs. DMU!

Hey guys thanks for the responses. I have been researching residency and clerkship placements for both DMU and Scholl, and while both seem to have opportunities in Southeastern Michigan, Scholl definitely has the larger pool of where their graduates actually ended up matching. However, I know this is also biased due to the fact that Scholl has roughly twice as many graduates than DMU, so I guess that would even the playing field.

What I am going to do is get in contact with the one DPM I shadowed mainly. He is in charge of the residency program at the local hospital I do research at and have many family ties there as well. I am hoping since he went to Kent I can have an unbiased opinion on the type of graduates they would typically choose between DMU and Scholl.

Beyond the additional month or two of clerkship that is available at Scholl compared to DMU, it seems based on the information in the threads and during the interview that the amount of patients that are roughly seen at the on campus clinics are actually the same (aprox 2-4 patients a day). Do you guys happen to know if this is true, or if the patient base is higher at Scholl?

Besides that, do you guys have any recommendations or thoughts that maybe I haven't covered yet between the two schools? Geographic area is a big factor for me but not a deal breaker. Just trying to make the most educated decision without any regrets lol. Thanks Again.

So, Bob, which of the schools do you feel offer the best clinical education? I think you have researched the schools pretty thoroughly from what I've seen you post in the past, care to offer us a ranking? :D
#1 - Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine - Temple's foot and ankle clinic sees more than 40,000 patients per year, with on site outpatient surgery and physical therapy and specific areas of the clinic dedicated to wound healing, charcot, and lymphedema. There is also a diabetic specialty center about 2 miles North at Temple's main campus, but I'm not sure how much exposure the podiatry students get to that. From what I remember, each student doctor at Temple gets something like 5-10 of their own patients per day during their clinic time. Temple's foot and ankle clinic is part of the same building as the school.
#2 - New York College of Podiatric Medicine - NYCPM's clinic sees more than 25,000 patients per year, with on site outpatient surgery and physical therapy and their own wound care center. NYCPM's clinic is part of the same building as the school.
#3 - Everyone Else - After TUSPM and NYCPM, it falls of drastically. At most of the other schools I believe that students regularly double up or triple up on patients (As opposed to TUSPM, and possibly NYCPM, where everyone gets their own patients) and the schools often try to supplement real patient experience with high tech dummies. They would argue that these high tech dummies are also used in many MD and DO schools as well as nursing programs, but I would say that just because it is common doesn't mean that it's the best approach and I assume that these schools use dummies more out of necessity than trying to be like MD or DO or nursing programs. You can probably get good training with the dummies, but it can't completely supplant clinical time with real patients. Aside from Temple, the only two schools I personally interviewed at were Western and AZPod and the only things coming through their clinic doors were tumbleweeds. Also, I believe that some of the schools will send you off site sometimes to try to get more clinical experience, which is OK, just not as convenient as TUSPMs or NYCPMs very busy on site clinics.

I wish I had more information on clinical numbers. I made a college appeal index thread on this forum comparing objective outcomes and statistics for the 9 colleges and I wanted to include clinical numbers in the calculations but none of the schools other than TUSPM and NYCPM seem to make those numbers public. Presumably because the numbers are so low in comparison to TUSPM and NYCPM. If I were a school, I certainly wouldn't want to advertise that my students would have to double up or triple up on patients just to get their clinical hours.

Update: I just remembered that some schools (Not TUSPM or NYCPM, but not sure which ones) use actors as patients. I hear they're really good actors for what it's worth.

http://podiatry.temple.edu/clinics
http://podiatry.temple.edu/about
http://footcenterofnewyork.org/

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Thanks!
I visited both just weeks apart and the first and foremost decider for me was location. Yes, Scholl is in Chicago (if you want to call it that). North Chicago was way too far away from the actual city for me to consider it a huge advantage to be located there. The town Scholl is in pretty had much of nothing from what I could tell. I remember thinking the same thing when I went there to watch my sister graduate from basic training at the naval base. Des Moines on the other hand I think is an incredible city. Growing up in Missouri I have always hated on Iowa just because its something we Missourians do but over my several visits to DMU it's become a place I'm excited to call home for a few years. I couldn't picture myself living in N. Chicago. RFU is a pretty neat school I must say. Facilities are up to par but I was always taken back by how low some of the acceptance stats were. When I'm in school I want to work with people that are going to motivate and challenge me and I wasn't sure I was going to get that at Scholl. Now I know every school is going to have their academic studs but with the academic means that much lower than DMU that's just how I felt. One thing I can give Scholl is that some of the really awesome residency programs are in Chicago and that early rotation opportunity could pay big dividends in the end. And the thought of moving into the actual city for 3rd and 4th year would be sweet, but still Chicago is double to triple the living costs of Des Moines. I'm excited to get a downtown loft apartment in Des Moines for a price that's even significantly cheaper than where I currently live in KC. Academics aside I could not picture myself living around Scholl for the majority of my med school.

#1 - Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine - Temple's foot and ankle clinic sees more than 40,000 patients per year, with on site outpatient surgery and physical therapy and specific areas of the clinic dedicated to wound healing, charcot, and lymphedema. There is also a diabetic specialty center about 2 miles North at Temple's main campus, but I'm not sure how much exposure the podiatry students get to that. From what I remember, each student doctor at Temple gets something like 5-10 of their own patients per day during their clinic time. Temple's foot and ankle clinic is part of the same building as the school.
#2 - New York College of Podiatric Medicine - NYCPM's clinic sees more than 25,000 patients per year, with on site outpatient surgery and physical therapy and their own wound care center. NYCPM's clinic is part of the same building as the school.
#3 - Everyone Else - After TUSPM and NYCPM, it falls of drastically. At most of the other schools I believe that students regularly double up or triple up on patients (As opposed to TUSPM, and possibly NYCPM, where everyone gets their own patients) and the schools often try to supplement real patient experience with high tech dummies. They would argue that these high tech dummies are also used in many MD and DO schools as well as nursing programs, but I would say that just because it is common doesn't mean that it's the best approach and I assume that these schools use dummies more out of necessity than trying to be like MD or DO or nursing programs. You can probably get good training with the dummies, but it can't completely supplant clinical time with real patients. Aside from Temple, the only two schools I personally interviewed at were Western and AZPod and the only things coming through their clinic doors were tumbleweeds. Also, I believe that some of the schools will send you off site sometimes to try to get more clinical experience, which is OK, just not as convenient as TUSPMs or NYCPMs very busy on site clinics.

I wish I had more information on clinical numbers. I made a college appeal index thread on this forum comparing objective outcomes and statistics for the 9 colleges and I wanted to include clinical numbers in the calculations but none of the schools other than TUSPM and NYCPM seem to make those numbers public. Presumably because the numbers are so low in comparison to TUSPM and NYCPM. If I were a school, I certainly wouldn't want to advertise that my students would have to double up or triple up on patients just to get their clinical hours.

http://podiatry.temple.edu/clinics
http://podiatry.temple.edu/about
http://footcenterofnewyork.org/

Barry has three clinical sites integrated into 3 major hospital systems. I don't know know the exact numbers they see, but from shadowing (and on my official visit) they were packed! In some hospital clinics like in Mt Sinai in Miami Beach, the hospital gives all issues below the knee to the pods. I thought it was a selling point, but it really was. It's off the beach, so you have anyone who steps on Sea urchins to the 3am high heels under the influence fiasco. Anyways, students spend most of their 3rd year clinical studies moving around these clinics along with smaller independent clinics. I've only seen students double up as patients in the on campus clinical learning room.

Edit: just realized you pointed out that some schools send students to off campus sites. Then TUSPM and NYCPM definitely have that advantage.

Barry has three clinical sites integrated into 3 major hospital systems. I don't know know the exact numbers they see, but from shadowing (and on my official visit) they were packed! In some hospital clinics like in Mt Sinai in Miami Beach, the hospital gives all issues below the knee to the pods. I thought it was a selling point, but it really was. It's off the beach, so you have anyone who steps on Sea urchins to the 3am high heels under the influence fiasco. Anyways, students spend most of their 3rd year clinical studies moving around these clinics along with smaller independent clinics. I've only seen students double up as patients in the on campus clinical learning room.

Edit: just realized you pointed out that some schools send students to off campus sites. Then TUSPM and NYCPM definitely have that advantage.
At least it sounds like there will be plenty of patients for the Barry students then, even if it is mostly off campus. Good info.

Update: I just remembered that some schools (Not TUSPM or NYCPM, but not sure which ones) use actors as patients. I hear they're really good actors for what it's worth.

DMU has one like that. It's called the Standardized Performance Assessment Laboratory (SPAL).

Just to add to this whole discussion about clinical experience/education during the 3rd and 4th years, I think it's important to recognize that we can don't have to define clinical experience as just seeing patients. Without a doubt, the major selling points for Temple and NYCPM are the high volume clinics. They hammer home the point that seeing patients in the clinic is vitally important, and that if you aren't seeing the volume of patients that their students see, then something is wrong with your medical education.

I kind of agree with that line of thinking to a certain extent. Obviously, we need to be seeing patients if we're going to be competent podiatrists. The way the issue was framed to me by DMU students and faculty was based on the idea that you need some kind of preparation, via simulation/observation, before you go out and start interacting with patients. Walk before you can run kinda thing. Is part of that way of thinking purely a way to talk around the lack of patients in the clinic? Sure. But I think an equal part of it really is true, and I say that because DMU has an exceptional residency placement rate. Better than Temple. Better than NYCPM. My decision became clear for me when I took a look at the data. If students coming out of schools other than Temple/NYCPM were not clinically prepared well for their residencies, they wouldn't match. But they do match...so I came to the conclusion that their students must be prepared well in the classroom and in the clinic.

Really interesting to hear that about Barry. I have no idea why more people from their program don't post here, that's great exposure for the school and would help to allay some of the negativity towards the program

Just to add to this whole discussion about clinical experience/education during the 3rd and 4th years, I think it's important to recognize that we can don't have to define clinical experience as just seeing patients. Without a doubt, the major selling points for Temple and NYCPM are the high volume clinics. They hammer home the point that seeing patients in the clinic is vitally important, and that if you aren't seeing the volume of patients that their students see, then something is wrong with your medical education.

I kind of agree with that line of thinking to a certain extent. Obviously, we need to be seeing patients if we're going to be competent podiatrists. The way the issue was framed to me by DMU students and faculty was based on the idea that you need some kind of preparation, via simulation/observation, before you go out and start interacting with patients. Walk before you can run kinda thing. Is part of that way of thinking purely a way to talk around the lack of patients in the clinic? Sure. But I think an equal part of it really is true, and I say that because DMU has an exceptional residency placement rate. Better than Temple. Better than NYCPM. My decision became clear for me when I took a look at the data. If students coming out of schools other than Temple/NYCPM were not clinically prepared well for their residencies, they wouldn't match. But they do match...so I came to the conclusion that their students must be prepared well in the classroom and in the clinic.
I thought the same thing at first. "Oh DMU is trying to convince us the clinic isn't that bad" but then any students I talked to explained how yeah it is slower than some but at the same rate they get to prepare and be more thorough in their preparation and interaction with patients. Plus I recall on my interview day someone mentioned they have been a lot busier lately as a few local pods retired and their patients got sent to the school clinic.

I thought the same thing at first. "Oh DMU is trying to convince us the clinic isn't that bad" but then any students I talked to explained how yeah it is slower than some but at the same rate they get to prepare and be more thorough in their preparation and interaction with patients. Plus I recall on my interview day someone mentioned they have been a lot busier lately as a few local pods retired and their patients got sent to the school clinic.
That's the same thing I found with Scholl's clinic and the same response from their faculty. From looking through some of the stuff on the Podiatrist Student forum, it can depend on the time of the year that you are in the clinic as well as other different factors that leads to a "good" amount of campus clinical exposure. Temple and NYCPM have no shortage of course, which is awesome. And as far as residency placement goes, I'm not sure how relevant the numbers are after a certain threshold? I mean if we were talking about 60-80% placement comparing one school to another, then I think there would be a certain understanding, that versus a school that has 90% plus placement, you are going to make the obvious choice. But that's not the case for these schools. And I think most people that use this forum probably have an understanding of that. And those who are using this forum, probably aren't the types of individuals to leave that 10% or less no residency placement to chance; these are the people that are are going to get a 100% placement no matter where you go. I may be wrong about this I understand, and it may be an overgeneralization. Circumstances do arise. But I really think the cards do stack up to a position that leads to choosing a school that feels most right to the individual.

Edit: And like Bob said, clinical experience is vital when it comes down to it. You will get good academics anywhere you go. You will get out of your pre-clinical education what you pour into it. I don't realistically think I could live in the middle of the city, which is why I chose to cancel my interview with temple (even though the 160+ hour podiatrist I spent over 4 months with graduated from there and talked it up and told me Scholl was crap (where I'm going)) and didn't apply to NYCPM. DMU and AZpod I didn't like the idea of being trained as basically a DO through my basic sciences. This is entirely a personal preference. So to offset living in the city, I felt Scholl offers the most opportunities to get clinical experiences, which is what I feel matters the most (more externships than any other college from what I understand (and I have been wrong before)).

Last edited: