Accepted students: what are your summer plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reactions: 1 user
I bought a collection of every video game that I couldn't buy while in undergrad due to not having time to play them. I started with Skyrim . . . big mistake. I might just turn down my acceptance to play it for the rest of my life.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I bought a collection of every video game that I couldn't buy while in undergrad due to not having time to play them. I started with Skyrim . . . big mistake. I might just turn down my acceptance to play it for the rest of my life.
I have at least 70 games on Steam that I haven't played yet.

I had a summer job fall through before vet school, so I definitely whipped out some of my old systems and binge-played for a couple weeks instead. Digimon World wooo~

Reactions: 1 users
I'm totally stealing my sister's 3ds this summer so I can play the new pokemon games!

Curious - do you mean within vet med (like volunteering your professional time) or outside of vet med? I'd really love to do some volunteering too but feel like I'd want to get out of the vet med bubble.

Both, actually! I used to spend time at a food shelf every month, and I haven't done it at all in vet school. I used to play cribbage with an old lady in a nursing home - haven't done that, either. But I also would like to help out with some veterinary (and maybe specifically vet school) related activities.... a lot of private practice vets helped me by coming to our monthly urban clinic (VeTouch), going on our reservation trips, hosting me in their clinic for a day or weekend etc.... There are humane society opportunities, vet school club-related opportunities, things like BART ... Just need to find some that are interesting, fit with my schedule, etc. I've always enjoyed that kind of stuff. Otherwise I'd just spend all my time screwing around on my computer. :)

Last edited:
Actually....any suggestions on how to fly there for the best price? Flight cost is really freaking me out! I believe we'd be flying into Narita.

I'm hoping it works out that he is sent over. Last year, they send someone else last minute. We both want to go!

Tell me about it! Since my sister moved there, the fares have almost doubled. It's crazy. I don't know where you live, but flights out of NYC are usually the cheapest. I use the fare watch function on Kayak.com. It will let you know when the prices go into your range. Usually the cheapest are 11 weeks out, but if you're traveling during summer break in Japan (July 20 - Sept 1), you're going to pay through the nose no matter what.

It's really worth the money to go if you have a chance.

Tell me about it! Since my sister moved there, the fares have almost doubled. It's crazy. I don't know where you live, but flights out of NYC are usually the cheapest. I use the fare watch function on Kayak.com. It will let you know when the prices go into your range. Usually the cheapest are 11 weeks out, but if you're traveling during summer break in Japan (July 20 - Sept 1), you're going to pay through the nose no matter what.

Sorry if you aren't allowed to put names of companies but...

Student universe. It will always have the best fares, usually beats kayak by at least 50-100, and moreso with more expensive flights. It requires a student email address in order to use it

I live in Detroit, so driving to Toronto would save me quite a bit no matter when I fly. Unfortunately, this might end up being a "Okay, we're leaving in 3 weeks!" sort of business trip...

I live in Detroit, so driving to Toronto would save me quite a bit no matter when I fly. Unfortunately, this might end up being a "Okay, we're leaving in 3 weeks!" sort of business trip...

Until JAL started direct flights to Narita from Boston recently, I preferred to make my connections through Toronto with Air Canada. Usually cheaper than the Japan based airlines, and air canada provides power outlets for your laptops even on economy seats. So you can just load up your laptop with whatever entertainment needs you have and keep yourself occupied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both, actually! I used to spend time at a food shelf every month, and I haven't done it at all in vet school. I used to play cribbage with an old lady in a nursing home - haven't done that, either. But I also would like to help out with some veterinary (and maybe specifically vet school) related activities.... a lot of private practice vets helped me by coming to our monthly urban clinic (VeTouch), going on our reservation trips, hosting me in their clinic for a day or weekend etc.... There are humane society opportunities, vet school club-related opportunities, things like BART ... Just need to find some that are interesting, fit with my schedule, etc. I've always enjoyed that kind of stuff. Otherwise I'd just spend all my time screwing around on my computer. :)

I learned how to play cribbage with friends during school...I'm afraid I'd be unstimulating competition for anyone I dared to play with :laugh:

I've got a little list going of things in my mind but it'll likely be as you said: something that fits my schedule. I want to resume old hobbies and pick up new ones. Overall I'm just excited to be a part of normal society again.

Soo lately I've been getting a lot of flack from some people about not doing much veterinary related this summer. I decided not to do an anatomy prep course (bc I'm in anatomy right now) and I'm not doing research or working for a local vet.. Instead I'm just traveling and I'm working at a summer camp. I've heard things like "that's not the best decision, better to over prepare" or "you only have these few summers to decide on your specialty". Honestly, I kind of want to do something unrelated and just have fun before I start and have to study 24/7. Still can't get those voices out of my head though. Thoughts?? Bad decision to not do anything vet related?

Soo lately I've been getting a lot of flack from some people about not doing much veterinary related this summer. I decided not to do an anatomy prep course (bc I'm in anatomy right now) and I'm not doing research or working for a local vet.. Instead I'm just traveling and I'm working at a summer camp. I've heard things like "that's not the best decision, better to over prepare" or "you only have these few summers to decide on your specialty". Honestly, I kind of want to do something unrelated and just have fun before I start and have to study 24/7. Still can't get those voices out of my head though. Thoughts?? Bad decision to not do anything vet related?
Um, if I were you I would totally ignore that crap.

Soo lately I've been getting a lot of flack from some people about not doing much veterinary related this summer. I decided not to do an anatomy prep course (bc I'm in anatomy right now) and I'm not doing research or working for a local vet.. Instead I'm just traveling and I'm working at a summer camp. I've heard things like "that's not the best decision, better to over prepare" or "you only have these few summers to decide on your specialty". Honestly, I kind of want to do something unrelated and just have fun before I star2t and have to study 24/7. Still can't get those voices out of my head though. Thoughts?? Bad decision to not do anything vet related?
I'm probably going to spend most of this summer playing video games and reading books. It's your time, you can use it however you like, and it's a good idea to rest and recharge before you start school.

Well, you can come too.

Shoot. Everyone come! SDN Pre-vet takeover!
I'm going to try and convince my boyfriend of some sort of cruise/vacation for either pre-vet school (me) or post graduation (him).

I'm going to try and convince my boyfriend of some sort of cruise/vacation for either pre-vet school (me) or post graduation (him).
This will be my first cruise, but my BF likes them so we decided on it. Mostly because majority of the costs are upfront (food, bed, some activities, whatever) and because I miss my summer sun. It was either a cruise or Chicago, and we've both been to Chicago already!

I am pretty peeved that milkshakes (of all things) aren't included in this cruise though.

The people telling you those things should be ignored.

Reactions: 2 users
totally agree with Minnerbelle and LIS. Who is giving you that flack? I doubt it is anyone who has actually been through vet school.
Enjoy yourself... your life ends in the fall for 4 years (jk - well not completely).

I'm not coming unless @Lupin21 does. :naughty:
You had better be ready for my cruise mode...
Quand-le-stagiaire-que-tu-comptais-embaucher-...-connait-quelquun-chez-le-concurrent.gif

totally agree with Minnerbelle and LIS. Who is giving you that flack? I doubt it is anyone who has actually been through vet school.
Enjoy yourself... your life ends in the fall for 4 years (jk - well not completely).

It's actually someone IN vet school. They keep telling me to shadow/work more for a vet this summer but I've always wanted to work for the kids summer camp I went to so I am. And I'm going to the beach so oh well.

It's actually someone IN vet school. They keep telling me to shadow/work more for a vet this summer but I've always wanted to work for the kids summer camp I went to so I am. And I'm going to the beach so oh well.
That's good advice for someone in vet school... to network and impress potential employers, but not before you actually know anything. A bit extreme to me.

Enjoy the beach. No guilt.

And the craziness ends here. We're leaving on the 21st. So close. You should leave me a hidden message somewhere on the ship
Bahaha things were gettig too good to be true

@Aggievetgirl2013 don't feel bad! It specifically says in the anatomy workshop that if you've taken VIBS 305 you're not allowed do the workshop :) and my friends in vet school tell me to take time off and enjoy life before first year starts. There are so many wet labs, clubs, and other opportunities for you to gain experience and decide what you want to do!

That being said my summer plans will be to work two jobs and get in as much pony time as possible! I wish I could afford a vacation, maybe I can fit a trip to the beach in at some point.

Add

"Going to a Rush concert":horns:

to my plans. That in itself completes any Summer in my book!

:bow:Neil Peart