Any 27-29 MCAT with interviews????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the advice @cj_cregg!

I'll contribute to this thread. I'm applying this cycle as an Asian ORM, 3.75 GPA and 28 MCAT. I have very good ECs and excellent LORS (really banking on that to pull me through the door). I applied to 29 schools and given that this thread is 43 pages long, I have my fingers crossed on even ONE acceptance. Thanks for all the support guys! Hopefully I'll be in your boat soon.

29 MD schools?! Are you applying DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, 29 haha. I prewrote many of my secondaries so it's not as bad as it seems on paper. I only applied MD.

I see. I have just slightly higher stats.. Pretty much the same and am applying to both md and do. I advise you do the same... The admissions game does not take kindly to us Asian ORMs.

Thats great. Wishing you all the luck boss. I think I'll also throw in some DO schools into the mix but probably only the California ones. I'm really not too worried about the future because I can say with full confidence that I put 100% my blood, sweat, and tears into getting into medical school. If it ends up not going my way, then it just wasn't meant to happen. Life always finds a way!

Well, I just thought I would make the suggestion. Just trying to help out. I've just been hearing a lot of discouraging things about ORMs with our stats for MD admissions.

So you are in California?

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate the advice man. According to MSAR, we have a 36% chance. Hopefully we can be in that 36%. I'm confident because the only thing lacking on my application is my verbal score. Hopefully they see past that from my extracurriculars, LORs, and motives in pursuing medicine.

And yeah, I'm from California-- hence the ridiculously high number of schools I applied to lol.

Yea I remember looking that percent up. Yea if you are from Cali, then yea I can see y you applied to 29. I'm from Midwest and applied to 22

Yea I remember looking that percent up. Yea if you are from Cali, then yea I can see y you applied to 29. I'm from Midwest and applied to 22

Good luck man! Let's keep in touch throughout the cycle. We might see each other at an airport somewhere haha!

Good luck man! Let's keep in touch throughout the cycle. We might see each other at an airport somewhere haha!

Hey sounds good to me! Shoot me a pm so I don't forget. I'm on a garbage I phone 3GS right now and my safari keeps crashing

3.6 GPA, 27-29 MCAT, ORM

Strong EC's (multi-year leadership, clinical experiences, research with multiple pubs/presentations, underserved community service, etc.) and solid LOR's.

Applied to 19 MD and 10 DO. I'm praying for some love from either system (hopefully both)! Good luck to all those applying this year!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Kentucky resident, 29 MCAT, 3.79GPA, ORM, decent ECs and good LORs
I'm really counting on improving on my MCAT in August to give me a stronger chance, otherwise will in-state schools be my best shot?
Applying to 28 MD schools within my stats range, will probably end up adding DO

Kentucky resident, 29 MCAT, 3.79GPA, ORM, decent ECs and good LORs
I'm really counting on improving on my MCAT in August to give me a stronger chance, otherwise will in-state schools be my best shot?
Applying to 28 MD schools within my stats range, will probably end up adding DO

We have extremely similar stats, and I am ORM too.

I would apply to DO schools as well. Honestly instate schools are the best shot for borderline MD applicants like us.

Definitely possible to receive MD interviews with a 29 MCAT. Although I did not gain acceptance the first time around, I received 2 MD interviews. This past cycle I received 3 MD interviews and was accepted to one of my top choices. If your MCAT is weak, make sure your interview skills are excellent.

Definitely possible to receive MD interviews with a 29 MCAT. Although I did not gain acceptance the first time around, I received 2 MD interviews. This past cycle I received 3 MD interviews and was accepted to one of my top choices. If your MCAT is weak, make sure your interview skills are excellent.

Congrats on your acceptance! If you dont mind me asking, what did you change between your application cycles? and what was your gpa?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on your acceptance! If you dont mind me asking, what did you change between your application cycles? and what was your gpa?
Thank you! I started an AmeriCorps program and completed a Master's Degree. Also wrote a new personal statement. GPA between 3.65-3.75

This thread gives me a little hope. I'm URM with cGPA 3.8 and sGPA 3.77. My june preliminaries are 61-71 (roughly a ~28) but my CARS is horrible 28-43% (~6-7 in old scale). I have roughly 4 years of bench and clinical research, good leadership experiences and cofounded 1 club in college, various medical and nonmedical volunteer opportunities throughout the years and probably 4 out of 6 strong LOR. How bad is that CARS score going to affect me, English is my second language I came here when I was 11, but I don't want to make excuses because I know I am capable of doing better, I scored an 83% in the pract exam 2 weeks before the real one so I'm a little lost?? Will really appreciate some thoughts.

This thread gives me a little hope. I'm URM with cGPA 3.8 and sGPA 3.77. My june preliminaries are 61-71 (roughly a ~28) but my CARS is horrible 28-43% (~6-7 in old scale). I have roughly 4 years of bench and clinical research, good leadership experiences and cofounded 1 club in college, various medical and nonmedical volunteer opportunities throughout the years and probably 4 out of 6 strong LOR. How bad is that CARS score going to affect me, English is my second language I came here when I was 11, but I don't want to make excuses because I know I am capable of doing better, I scored an 83% in the pract exam 2 weeks before the real one so I'm a little lost?? Will really appreciate some thoughts.
Approach Goro with the above! He will help you. Send him a message personally and will be more in tuned to your situation!

I'll leave my last post here since this thread was the whole reason I joined sdn last year.

3.7, 27 mcat (3x taker), ORM. Applied to both MD (approx 30) and DO (approx 6). Received 3 MD interviews (in state & out of state). 3 waitlists. 1 acceptance. Great ECs and lots of research & publications, so I truly do believe that schools consider you as more than just a number. My advice is to trust that if you make it to an interview, they don't care about your scores anymore -- only 1 school asked me about it and my interviewer stated after that 'subpar' scores aren't a big deal as long you take responsibility and can explain if asked; he said otherwise that GPA and ECs speak louder..though low scores make it that much harder.

Best of luck to all the other underdogs out there!! It's an amazing feeling when this number does not define you anymore:cool:

Reactions: 6 users
I'll leave my last post here since this thread was the whole reason I joined sdn last year.

3.7, 27 mcat (3x taker), ORM. Applied to both MD (approx 30) and DO (approx 6). Received 3 MD interviews (in state & out of state). 3 waitlists. 1 acceptance. Great ECs and lots of research & publications, so I truly do believe that schools consider you as more than just a number. My advice is to trust that if you make it to an interview, they don't care about your scores anymore -- only 1 school asked me about it and my interviewer stated after that 'subpar' scores aren't a big deal as long you take responsibility and can explain if asked; he said otherwise that GPA and ECs speak louder..though low scores make it that much harder.

Best of luck to all the other underdogs out there!! It's an amazing feeling when this number does not define you anymore:cool:
mind sharing what schools u II and got accepted at? also ORM??

Reactions: 1 users
So seeing a lot of schools offering early interview invites that I'm complete at and a little sad- do you guys who got interviews (and then accepted) was it earlier or later in the cycle?

Joining in here. 29 MCAT.

2 MD IIs so far. Beyond excited.

Reactions: 2 users
@mk2015 Congratulations!! Really happy for you and jealous at the same time haha. Pardon my asking, but are you URM or ORM? I'm trying to gauge where I stand as an ORM because I haven't heard anything back yet :(

ORM. I wouldn't be worried yet. I'm surprised to have heard back this soon to be honest.

Congrats on the II's!

I have a 29 MCAT as well but got rejected from WVUSOM pre secondary.... sigh. The MCAT is the weakest part of my application too...

Thanks! Best of luck to you as well!

Georgetown and WVUSOM

Thanks! Applied to both, working on my WVU secondary tonight. How long were you invited for an interview after being complete ?

Thanks! Applied to both, working on my WVU secondary tonight. How long were you invited for an interview after being complete ?

WVU was completed about a week ago. That was actually my favorite secondary to write so far. I had a hard time sticking to the word count.

Georgetown was complete on 7/9 I believe.

West Virginia Osteopathic and Lecom seem to get their interviews out VERY early if you are applying DO

WVU was completed about a week ago. That was actually my favorite secondary to write so far. I had a hard time sticking to the word count.

Georgetown was complete on 7/9 I believe.

thanks, sorry if I'm bugging you- really appreciate it (one last question, did WVU send you an email letting you know you were complete after submitting everything?)

best of luck on your interviews!

West Virginia Osteopathic and Lecom seem to get their interviews out VERY early if you are applying DO

I didn't apply to WV Osteopathic but I applied to LECOM and LECOM-Bradenton, hoping to hear back soon!

3.75GPA -> 3.64 verifiedGPA, 27-29MCAT, URM

Decent EC's, non-trad 27yo with more life experiences than clinical, decent letters (one strong, two solid, rest meh)

Will let y'all know!

Reactions: 1 users
thanks, sorry if I'm bugging you- really appreciate it (one last question, did WVU send you an email letting you know you were complete after submitting everything?)

best of luck on your interviews!

I didn't apply to WV Osteopathic but I applied to LECOM and LECOM-Bradenton, hoping to hear back soon!

No problem. I don't mind. But no, I just got the emails confirming each part of the application followed by the II.

One school secondary has explicitly asked to talk about low grades and/or mcat....any advice on how to approach this?

One school secondary has explicitly asked to talk about low grades and/or mcat....any advice on how to approach this?

Don't provide an excuse for why your score was low. Talk about things you learned from the experience. Did it build aspects of your character? How? And in what way?

Reactions: 3 users
28 balanced MCAT/3.83 GPA, non-URM. Applying to 25+ MD schools. Hoping for the best. Big focus on underserved populations throughout my app.

28 balanced MCAT/3.83 GPA, non-URM. Applying to 25+ MD schools. Hoping for the best. Big focus on underserved populations throughout my app.
Similar scores and experiences, hopefully we get good luck because we will need it.

Got my first ll this week from WVU. Feels good. (29 mcat)

Reactions: 4 users

Do they have regional bias or anything? or a massively large number of applicants like georgetown and gw? I don't remember why I didn't apply there last month... I applied to 18 MD schools and still looking into which DO schools to apply to with a 29 mcat.

Do they have regional bias or anything? or a massively large number of applicants like georgetown and gw? I don't remember why I didn't apply there last month... I applied to 18 MD schools and still looking into which DO schools to apply to with a 29 mcat.
Apply to your state schools first (DO AND MD). I think you have a chance at any DO school with a 29 (but especially ones in state) . I got into 3 DO schools in our range of MCAT. Two friends in my MBS school got into MD with my same MCAT. (slightly below 30) (Pennsylvania schools)

Grats on your II!

I got rejected from that school pre-secondary with a 29 MCAT and I am pretty confident that the MCAT is the weakest part of my application.

Grats on your II!

I got rejected from that school pre-secondary with a 29 MCAT and I am pretty confident that the MCAT is the weakest part of my application.
Same here, I think the screen is pretty rough for OOS students.

Same here, I think the screen is pretty rough for OOS students.

I just dont know what they look at... Because in that other thread there are plenty of people with 28-29 mcats getting II's...

I"m Asian ORM though... maybe that has something to do with it?

I just dont know what they look at... Because in that other thread there are plenty of people with 28-29 mcats getting II's...

I"m Asian ORM though... maybe that has something to do with it?
That's interesting, OOS students getting interviews with those scores must mean they look for specific things in applicants.

That's interesting, OOS students getting interviews with those scores must mean they look for specific things in applicants.

Who knows... everyone that's looked at my full app has told me my 29 MCAT is the weakest part of my application, which I agree with.

Who knows... everyone that's looked at my full app has told me my 29 MCAT is the weakest part of my application, which I agree with.
Nah, it's probably other stuff in your app that didn't align with WVU's mission and didn't make you a "good fit" but still otherwise fine applicant. I doubt MCAT is the deciding factor for WVU, but who knows.

Reactions: 2 users