Ask your random questions about AADSAS here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If I use a committee letter, does that bypass the specific letter of recommendation guidelines for each school right? My committee letter requires 2-3 (max 3) letters for the process.

Also, how does the supplementary application process work?
Yes. Some schools post them online for you to fill out. Others only send them to select candidates. You will have to check AADSAS to view the school's policy.

Members don't see this ad.

If I use a committee letter, does that bypass the specific letter of recommendation guidelines for each school right? My committee letter requires 2-3 (max 3) letters for the process.

Also, how does the supplementary application process work?
Yep. If you use a committee letter, AADSAS lets you upload one more if you want. I added one from a dentist, just in case.

Supplements depend on the school. Some are just checks you mail, some must be filled out by everyone, and some will only be filled out by certain candidates. Each school's website should tell you what the deal is

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed some schools require 3 letters from science professors, some require 2 science, 1 mentor. Since I'm using a committee letter which requires 2-3 letters (1 has to be from my college) this replaces the requirements that dental schools would otherwise require if you sent them individually? The reason I'm saying this is I have 1 bio professor, 1 dentist, and 1 mentor writing me a letter for the committee letter. Do all schools accept committee letters? Usually the trend I'm reading is that the committee evaluation fulfills the letters of recommendation requirement. I'm applying 3 years out from graduating (graduated in 2013) and getting multiple professor letters is a huge stretch for me. I was only able to obtain 1 solid science letter which luckily fulfills my university's committee letter requirements.

Last edited:
I noticed some schools require 3 letters from science professors, some require 2 science, 1 mentor. Since I'm using a committee letter which requires 2-3 letters (1 has to be from my college) this replaces the requirements that dental schools would otherwise require if you sent them individually? The reason I'm saying this is I have 1 bio professor, 1 dentist, and 1 mentor writing me a letter for the committee letter. Do all schools accept committee letters? Usually the trend I'm reading is that the committee evaluation fulfills the letters of recommendation requirement. I'm applying 3 years out from graduating (graduated in 2013) and getting multiple professor letters is a huge stretch for me. I was only able to obtain 1 solid science letter which luckily fulfills my university's committee letter requirements.
Most schools will say "you need ___ letters or a letter from a pre-professional committee". If you have the committee letter, you will be fine. You can always email or call schools to verify.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools will say "you need ___ letters or a letter from a pre-professional committee". If you have the committee letter, you will be fine. You can always email or call schools to verify.
Is there a specific section on the dental app where you specify if you are using a committee letter or individual letters? My committee letter includes the individual letters in addition to whatever is in the packet.

This is probably a really stupid question but for our official transcript can we get the transcript ourselves and send it out or does the school need to send it out to AADSAS.

Also to bounce off of that, I am looking on the ADEA website and it says we need to send out transcript to ECE or WES and obtain a course-by-course evaluation. Can someone please expand on that and please tell me what were exactly supposed to do with the transcript

Thank you to whoever can answer this question :)

Is there a specific section on the dental app where you specify if you are using a committee letter or individual letters? My committee letter includes the individual letters in addition to whatever is in the packet.
Yes. On AADSAS you put in emails for letter writers and the system will email them prompting them to upload their letter. Whomever is writing your committee letter will give you an email address. When you enter it, I'm almost positive there is a drop down menu that lets you designate if the letter is from one person or a committee. You'll choose the committee option. Then you'll have one space left to get one more letter outside the committee one if you need.

Is all correspondence sent to preferred or permanent address? My permanent one is *technically* my moms so should I just put my apartment address as preferred and permanent to prevent anything from going to her house?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is probably a really stupid question but for our official transcript can we get the transcript ourselves and send it out or does the school need to send it out to AADSAS.

Also to bounce off of that, I am looking on the ADEA website and it says we need to send out transcript to ECE or WES and obtain a course-by-course evaluation. Can someone please expand on that and please tell me what were exactly supposed to do with the transcript

Thank you to whoever can answer this question :)
Your official transcript needs to be sent by the school. At my university, anything they gave you was no longer considered "official". Probably so you don't tamper with it.
And I'm not sure what ECE or WES is. I never did anything like that.

Is all correspondence sent to preferred or permanent address? My permanent one is *technically* my moms so should I just put my apartment address as preferred and permanent to prevent anything from going to her house?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You get to put a mailing address and a permanent address. Correspondence is sent to the mailing address. Permanent address is used to determine residency.

If I've taken the same class twice, will I enter in twice on the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting on one more letter of recommendation from a Professor to be submitted to the committee at my school and he says it won't be done until next week. Should I apply or wait until my school receives the letter?

Also stupid question but what are the differences between hobbies and EC, like if i played in a tournament for a sport does that count as hobby or EC? What about if i am taught by a teacher, like for Muay Thai, is that a hobby or EC?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'm waiting on one more letter of recommendation from a Professor to be submitted to the committee at my school and he says it won't be done until next week. Should I apply or wait until my school receives the letter?

Also stupid question but what are the differences between hobbies and EC, like if i played in a tournament for a sport does that count as hobby or EC? What about if i am taught by a teacher, like for Muay Thai, is that a hobby or EC?

Thanks in advance.
Apply before the school receives the letter. Verification is what takes so long. Letters, once done, can be uploaded and accessed almost immediately.

You can put hobbies down as ECs. I think they were both in the same category.

Apply before the school receives the letter. Verification is what takes so long. Letters, once done, can be uploaded and accessed almost immediately.

Any type of hobbies are supposed to be put under ECs?

Can I send my transcript before June 1st? Or do I have to send it on June 1st?

So we have to send the transcript on June 1st at the earliest. I just want to be clear here.
From the ADEA:

"Arrange for a sealed official transcript, accompanied by an ADEA AADSAS Transcript Request Form, to be sent directly to the ADEA AADSAS Transcript Processing Department from every institution attended. ADEA AADSAS prefers all transcripts to be sent directly from the issuing institution as an original, official document. For every college or university indicated, a Transcript Request Form will be generated. This form enables ADEA AADSAS to digitally match each school transcript to the correct application".

In other words, you need to enter in your university's information into the application and send a request form to your university's registrars office. This cannot be done prior to June 1st.

Thanks for the help!

So it seems like people are talking about submitting before their DAT/LOR/etc are up, but that the school won't look at it until it's complete....if that's true, then what is the point of submitting before having all of the stuff ready?

So it seems like people are talking about submitting before their DAT/LOR/etc are up, but that the school won't look at it until it's complete....if that's true, then what is the point of submitting before having all of the stuff ready?
It can take AADSAS about a month to verify your GPA. People who submit on June 1 with their transcripts ready may not have their application verified until the end of June. Schools don't see anything until your application is verified. That's why you can wait a little on DAT and LoR

It can take AADSAS about a month to verify your GPA. People who submit on June 1 with their transcripts ready may not have their application verified until the end of June. Schools don't see anything until your application is verified. That's why you can wait a little on DAT and LoR

So do they only begin the verification process after you hit submit?

Are we supposed to upload our resume into the portal?

http://www.dental.pitt.edu/students/dmd/admission-requirements

Pitt has this for its writing requirement: "
*At least one of the two English courses should be an English/Literature course"

My college required everyone to take FWS (Freshman Writing Seminars) and was wondering if the courses I took qualify.

FWS: Women Writing in South Africa
FWS: Cultural Studies - Digital Media and Virtual Experience

I also took another writing intensive course (Chinese Mythology). Am I fine? What do they mean by English/Literature course specifically?

http://www.dental.pitt.edu/students/dmd/admission-requirements

Pitt has this for its writing requirement: "
*At least one of the two English courses should be an English/Literature course"

My college required everyone to take FWS (Freshman Writing Seminars) and was wondering if the courses I took qualify.

FWS: Women Writing in South Africa
FWS: Cultural Studies - Digital Media and Virtual Experience

I also took another writing intensive course (Chinese Mythology). Am I fine? What do they mean by English/Literature course specifically?
I had a similar issue with a couple places. I didn't technically take any "English" classes. As long as they're designated as writing intensive on your transcript, you are fine. FWS definitely counts.

I had a similar issue with a couple places. I didn't technically take any "English" classes. As long as they're designated as writing intensive on your transcript, you are fine. FWS definitely counts.
Awesome. Also what's the hard and fast rule when colleges say they "advise" or "strongly recommend" B or better for prereq. courses? I got a C and C+ in orgo and orgo lab but got a 24 in Orgo for the DAT (23 AA). My college had insanely hard pre-req courses. Or orgo class exams were curved. Everyone failed each test lol. I also got a couple B-'s, but mostly B's, B+'s, A-'s, A's.

Awesome. Also what's the hard and fast rule when colleges say they "advise" or "strongly recommend" B or better for prereq. courses? I got a C and C+ in orgo and orgo lab but got a 24 in Orgo for the DAT (23 AA). My college had insanely hard pre-req courses. Or orgo class exams were curved. Everyone failed each test lol. I also got a couple B-'s, but mostly B's, B+'s, A-'s, A's.
Not sure. I never had any C's. I would guess a 24 Orgo means you'll be fine, especially if your GPA is decent

Thanks!
My DAT is June 16 and my LORs won't be ready until June 30 but my PS and everything else is ready so I guess I'll just go ahead and submit ASAP
When you have everything on the application, submit it so they can start verifying your GPA. When DAT scores and LORs are in, then your app will be send out rather than waiting.

can you change or add a recommendation letter writer after you submit your application ?

1-I heard there is an option where you could pay to have your grades entered into the application. will the grades be verified faster if I go with this option compared to entering them manually?
2- one of my recommendation writers will not be able to post my recommendation until late July early August. will my application be considered incomplete if it is missing a recommendation letter ?

can you have more than two professors and two dentists write letter of recommendations?

1-I heard there is an option where you could pay to have your grades entered into the application. will the grades be verified faster if I go with this option compared to entering them manually?
2- one of my recommendation writers will not be able to post my recommendation until late July early August. will my application be considered incomplete if it is missing a recommendation letter ?

1. No, it still takes 4-6 weeks. It only takes an hour to enter grades in yourself. It's a waste of money to pay for the service.
2. Your application will be considered incomplete without all letters.

Are secondary applications available immediately after hitting submit?
It depends on the school. Some post them online, some only send them to select candidates a week or two before they want to send you an interview invite. AADSAS will have links to each school's secondary information once you are in the application.

Reactions: 1 users
One more question, sorry if this has been asked-- once LORs are uploaded by recommenders, do they need to be verified or anything, or are they good to go right away?

One more question, sorry if this has been asked-- once LORs are uploaded by recommenders, do they need to be verified or anything, or are they good to go right away?
It's pretty instant. However, there is a waiting period between the time you send the LOR writer(s) the LOR matching form and the time it is uploaded onto AADSAS.

It's pretty instant. However, there is a waiting period between the time you send the LOR writer(s) the LOR matching form and the time it is uploaded onto AADSAS.
Gotcha, thanks! Btw, I definitely thought that was you in your icon photo until last night when I saw it being used by someone in another forum, lol

Gotcha, thanks! Btw, I definitely thought that was you in your icon photo until last night when I saw it being used by someone in another forum, lol
lmao nooo it's not me!

I already have 2 science profs and a dentist write LOR's, but I know some schools want some sort of volunteer supervisor or someone who can attest to my character. I volunteer at a dental office and figured the dentist can fulfill this last LOR requirement?