ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I submitted my secondary the day I got it (last Thursday), but unfortunately won't be complete until probably Tuesday or Wednesday do to a delay in getting one of my letters loaded on interfolio. I'm just glad they aren't pushing the DO letter as hard. I have a very generic one, but a very strong letter from my boss at the hospital.
I don't want to pry, but how did your interview go?

Members don't see this ad.

Evidently not. I didn't use that and got an interview.

I'm really excited for the interview. This is one of those schools I really wanted a chance at. My birthday was yesterday and I was kind of pissy by the end because it was so crappy and then at 11:59 p.m. I got an email saying I got an interview invite. Made my bday awesome for that one minute.

How long after you were complete did you get the invite? Interfolio just uploaded my letters to KCOM today, and now I'm just excited as hell. I want that interview invite so bad. (I want the acceptance even more)

How long after you were complete did you get the invite? Interfolio just uploaded my letters to KCOM today, and now I'm just excited as hell. I want that interview invite so bad. (I want the acceptance even more)

I honestly have no clue because the computer system messed up with me and I had to resubmit about a month after my first submission. I really never kept track of that stuff. I have too many schools on my list to keep track of timespans between submission and interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed here yet? If so, how was it?

Has anyone interviewed here yet? If so, how was it?

Interviews start this week. I think we get the first round of students either tomorrow or Thursday. But definately this Friday. Good luck all.

i'm trying to set up an interview/find flights. Does anyone know what to search for with the online flights? Kirksville seems to small to show up. Another post mentioned there are flights from STL to Kirksville? How do I find those? Thanks for any tips!

i'm trying to set up an interview/find flights. Does anyone know what to search for with the online flights? Kirksville seems to small to show up. Another post mentioned there are flights from STL to Kirksville? How do I find those? Thanks for any tips!

I was advised by the office at KCOM to avoid the flights from St. Louis to Kirksville if you can. They get cancelled all the time and don't fly out much. The code for kirksville is IRK and there are 12 flights per WEEK flying there. http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KIRK That may help.

How long after the interview will you know if you're accepted? I just booked my flight for 235.00 which isn't half bad, but I have to go from Ft. Lauderdale to Charlotte, NC, then from there to St louis. Direct flights from Florida to MO are ridiculous.

Good Luck to you guys coming up for interviews in the coming days. You're gonna love it here. :)

How long after the interview will you know if you're accepted? I just booked my flight for 235.00 which isn't half bad, but I have to go from Ft. Lauderdale to Charlotte, NC, then from there to St louis. Direct flights from Florida to MO are ridiculous.

Last year we knew in about a week if we were accepted. I did at least.:oops:

I'm getting really excited about hearing back from KCOM for an interview. I've only been complete for a little over a week because of some MCAT issues, but I'm already anxious as can be. Anyone else feeling like this?

I'm getting really excited about hearing back from KCOM for an interview. I've only been complete for a little over a week because of some MCAT issues, but I'm already anxious as can be. Anyone else feeling like this?

I'm excited. I submitted 9/29 and just got my interview invite today. You should be hearing pretty soon I would guess. Good luck. I'm a little nervous about the two one-hour interviews. Should be fun.

The interview was great. The school is a lot bigger than I expected and Kirksville has a Walmart so I'll be happy there if I get in. Very weird gender distribution of interviewees today: 1 woman and 8 guys (I believe 3 people rescheduled but I think at least one of them was male). I never saw wild deer running free before so it was definitely a nice experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Until they run free into your car. ;)

It was great though. I've had a few weird nearly all male interviews so far. Its odd because most schools are 50/50 or even slanted towards female, so they must have some all female interviews with 1 male to make up for it at some point. Very nice school though...it may be my number 1. I get a great vibe from KCOM.

And this school rocks! Education received here will compete with the best. I am from a big city in texas and though, kirksville is much smaller, the people and the facilities more than make up for this. And I am not white, so you know the people must be sincerely nice.

I'm not going to act like it has the best facilities I've seen, or even the most friendly admissions staff (although they are probably tied for first). The place gives a great vibe. It is one of the few places that truly had me looking at the school first and the location second. Everyone was very genuine there. They are probably the most family friendly school I have encountered. The local university is very nice and filled with equally good people (I studied at the science building there one day).

I just got news of an interview at my number one overall choice out of all the schools I applied to (allopathic and osteopathic), but barring acceptance at that school KCOM is a close second. I hated the driving from and to kansas city, but I don't think i could've had a cooler student host or a better experience at the school. I do think they need some different colors on the walls though..that paint is just odd with the lighting.

I liked it. It would have been nice to let us see part of a class or even better let us see one of those house visits or standardized patients in action. Well, I did leave early so if they showed any of that in the tour i guess i missed out. I did like the guy who was giving the tour to those other people and talking about the history of A.T. Still and stuff, they should let him give a tour to applicants he seems like he knows the history like the back of his hand.

He was almost a little too excited for me. That guy must have polished off the kool-aid.

After the financial aid session we got to do a lot of stuff. (I forgot you left before that). We did get to see the dummies in action to some extent. We also checked out the anatomy lab for a bit and talked with the students more, in addition to seeing all the study rooms.

MossPoh, I will be driving from Kansas City as well. I was wondering how crazy the drive is..i.e. multiple lane highways..i'm not used to driving around big cities:eek: thanks!

MossPoh, I will be driving from Kansas City as well. I was wondering how crazy the drive is..i.e. multiple lane highways..i'm not used to driving around big cities:eek: thanks!

The airport is way off from the city. I never even saw the real Kansas city. I think there might have been about a 10 mile stretch out of the 3 hour drive that involved 3 lanes. Depending on what your gps tells you to do you could spend up to 2 hours+ on a little 2 lane highway zigzagging through fields and forests. The suggested way that is a bit longer but easier and feels less like a death trap involves larger highways and interstates most of the time. Trust me, city driving is going to be the least of your worries. Im from a small town too but also have lots of experience driving in major cities, so my viewpoint might be skewed. The entire metro area of kansas city is under 2 million though...and that is a very very large area, so I wouldn't worry about anything.

It was an 8 or 9 mile drive to get to the bbq place where I ran into a KCUMB student actually.

I'm from a medium sized city, and Kirksville is definatly something to get used to, but you adjust very quickly. Everything you need is here, and it's A LOT easier to study without a ton of distraction. Believe me, don't let the small town scare you. It freaked me out at first, but it's truely a gem of a town.
The school is top-notch. I really don't think you can do much better.

Good luck with interviews! :hardy:

Back to studying ;)

I just recieved my interview invite for KCOM. This is my first invite, and my #1 school. I'm so stoked.

My interview at KCOM is on 23th and I am very excited!!!

Im driving from SL to Kirkeville. Hows the drive? I heard it takes about 3 hours?
Well I am very excited and KCOM one of my top choices!

I did it in about 2.5 hours, but just say 3 for legality purposes.

I interviewed with you guys on the 6th. I heard we were supposed to hear by Thursday, but I wasn't sure which Thursday. My wife said it was this Thursday.

Yea. This Thursday. She said they had a ton to review though, so don't get worried if they don't have a decision yet.

So were we ok to call or do they call us?

So were we ok to call or do they call us?

We can call them. Best of luck. I know I'm going to have a tough time waiting till about 10 or 11 a.m. my time.

We can call them. Best of luck. I know I'm going to have a tough time waiting till about 10 or 11 a.m. my time.

i called anf spoke to Brooke Crandall and she couldnt tell me anything until Donna Sparks looks at the stuff.

I just called. I got rejected. Kind of stings since it is my first outright rejection, but whatever. I have two acceptances...I'll deal.

I just called. I got rejected. Kind of stings since it is my first outright rejection, but whatever. I have two acceptances...I'll deal.

sux im sorry. who did u call and who did u speak to?

Just the admissions number on the website. The direct one.

Yea...it kind of stings a bit. It would be worse if it were my first interview. I got the impression I mis-stepped with both of my interviews in certain areas. I don't think I acted as hardcore osteopathic as they liked.

They just called me and I GOT ACCEPTED. I almost fell down the stairs to go get my phone to call people. This is a good feeling.

Congrats man.

Just the admissions number on the website. The direct one.

Yea...it kind of stings a bit. It would be worse if it were my first interview. I got the impression I mis-stepped with both of my interviews in certain areas. I don't think I acted as hardcore osteopathic as they liked.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats like?

They just called me and I GOT ACCEPTED. I almost fell down the stairs to go get my phone to call people. This is a good feeling.

Congrats! If you end up coming here, you are gonna love it! We have already done so much as far as standardized patients and school physicals, it is awesome.

I have one recommendation for all who choose to come to KCOM. I bought a 2 bedroom house, and my monthly payment is only $300. It was kind of scary at first, but I would recommend everyone to look into it. It will save you money in the long run (at least $100 a month), and it is nice having separation from your neighbors.

Same here, but I have an acceptance already as well. KCOM was choice #2. I was asked if I would go here if I got accepted next week (meaning today) and I told them I was not sure. I think he might have been turned off by that =/ Oh well! Good luck to everyone else!

I just looked at real estate prices and it's ridiculous in Kirksville. The houses have so much land and are really cheap. I live in Miami so obviously real estate is not the greatest down here right now.

How is car insurance for younger drivers down there (I'll be 23 when I start)? Is Mizzou far away? I hear it's like an hour away but I didn't see it on my drive to St. Louis. My girlfriend has a bachelor's in psychology and wants a graduate degree in it so I'm trying to find something for her so that she can come with me. I heard ATSU/KCOM spouses get discounts on master's degrees, but at what school?

I just looked at real estate prices and it's ridiculous in Kirksville. The houses have so much land and are really cheap. I live in Miami so obviously real estate is not the greatest down here right now.

How is car insurance for younger drivers down there (I'll be 23 when I start)? Is Mizzou far away? I hear it's like an hour away but I didn't see it on my drive to St. Louis. My girlfriend has a bachelor's in psychology and wants a graduate degree in it so I'm trying to find something for her so that she can come with me. I heard ATSU/KCOM spouses get discounts on master's degrees, but at what school?

Thats because Mizzou is an hour and a half in a different direction. ;)

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats like?

I have a 3.3 cum and a 3.0 with a very strong upward trend. My gpa freshman year was a 1.9 or something. My mcat was a 27 which I was let down about since I was testing in the 37 range, but my grandma died a few days before and I was still emotionally wrecked from all the time in the hospital. Aside from that, I had two study abroad programs, President of a club at a major university, leader of "quality team", multiple project leads with 3+ million dollar projects, IM sports, 200+ shadowing hours, big brother/big sister mentor, etc. My degrees are non science. I'm well rounded, which is about the only thing I can think of that lead to me getting the amount of interviews I've gotten.

Its like for those three hours of interview they looked at my soul and said we like you! I am so happy! Thank God!

I am sorry mosspoh. I hope you get to go where you want. Good luck dude!

Its ok. 3 out of 5 interviews isn't so bad so far.I have 2 more to go on the books. I think I'll survive!

Now that I think about it, I probably shouldn't have let it slip that my stress was left since I got my first acceptance. It was probably a turnoff. ;)

So I got a call from someone in admissions but could not take it because I was at work. I called them on my lunch and they weren't there, so I just called the admissions office. The woman said "the admissions committee has decided not to accept you this year." I was bummed, said ok, then was about to hit end call on my phone when I heard her say "wait a minute!" Apparently she was reading the wrong list and I had been accepted. Still want to call the original person, however, just to double check. My wife is pretty sold on the place and I think I've found myself less and less excited about my other interviews, so I think we'll probably end up there come next August!

So I got a call from someone in admissions but could not take it because I was at work. I called them on my lunch and they weren't there, so I just called the admissions office. The woman said "the admissions committee has decided not to accept you this year." I was bummed, said ok, then was about to hit end call on my phone when I heard her say "wait a minute!" Apparently she was reading the wrong list and I had been accepted. Still want to call the original person, however, just to double check. My wife is pretty sold on the place and I think I've found myself less and less excited about my other interviews, so I think we'll probably end up there come next August!

Congrats on your acceptance. I believe we interviewed on the 6th together. I know two people brought wives, were you the couple that also brought the child?

Congrats on your acceptance. I believe we interviewed on the 6th together. I know two people brought wives, were you the couple that also brought the child?

Yeah, we had the kid. I wonder what happened with the other guy, though. It was the only place he applied because they were banking on going there. Kinda wild.

Yeah, we had the kid. I wonder what happened with the other guy, though. It was the only place he applied because they were banking on going there. Kinda wild.

Yeah I remember you. I was the black guy lol. Your wife is cool and your baby is cute. If i had a cute kid like that I'd definitely be showing him off and winning the hearts of those interviewers.

Yeah I was in a simliar situation applying and banking on one school last year and it didn't work out. Admissions is pretty much a crap shoot so you never know what will happen. You can go in thinking your 4.0 is all you need and end up getting a big rejection in the end.

From our perspective, it is a seemingly random and humbling process to apply to these places. What might work great at one school will get you stone cold rejected at another. The angry looking quiet interviewer accepts you while the smiling and cheerful one rejects....its like bizarro world from our angle.

I just figured I'd bump this thread. I have two interviews this week that I considered cancelling. I think my wife and I feel pretty comfortable with the school and think we'll probably be there.

I feel ya. I got one on Halloween I might be cancellin up at Erie. I have this acceptance and have already interviewed at my top two choices so I should just save the money. Now to convince the gf how great kirksville is.

Once you have an acceptance, particularly at the school you like, it makes it much more tolerable to cancel interviews. I canceled at PCOM-GA for that reason. These interviews are really brutal. It is difficult to keep up with the rest of your life when your weeks are fragmented. I am keeping my two MD interviews. One is in the same town as me, so that is a no brainer but the other involves me being really curious about the school.

Status
Not open for further replies.