ATSU/KCOM (Kirksville) Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I got an interview on March 2nd! I was wondering what kind of dress code is expected. Did all the male interviewees go in a suit? Or is a suit too formal?
Congratulations! When were you complete?

All the guys at every interview I have been to have worn suits, it is definitely not too formal. I wouldn't recommend wearing anything less formal than that, you want to leave the best impression you can with the adcom.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations! When were you complete?

All the guys at every interview I have been to have worn suits, it is definitely not too formal. I wouldn't recommend wearing anything less formal than that, you want to leave the best impression you can with the adcom.

Hi natrod13, thanks for the reply! I finished my secondary on January 6, and got an email invite on January 9th. Ok, I'll definitely get a nice suit then.. I'm thinking a 300 dollar Calvin Klein suit from Stars clothing for men :D

Hi natrod13, thanks for the reply! I finished my secondary on January 6, and got an email invite on January 9th. Ok, I'll definitely get a nice suit then.. I'm thinking a 300 dollar Calvin Klein suit from Stars clothing for men :D
No prob, I don't know much about men's suits as I am a female, but I'm sure you'll find a good one. I finished my secondary on the 9th so hopefully I hear back soon, maybe I'll be able to squeeze into the March 2 date if I get an interview and I'll see you there!

Members don't see this ad :)
No prob, I don't know much about men's suits as I am a female, but I'm sure you'll find a good one. I finished my secondary on the 9th so hopefully I hear back soon, maybe I'll be able to squeeze into the March 2 date if I get an interview and I'll see you there!

that'd be awesome, hope to see you there! :)

Hey Guys, here is my situation:

31P MCAT, 3.56 Overall, 3.29 Science ( 3.9 last 2.5 years of college, with all A's in upper division science courses)

Have volunteered at a homeless clinic for 4 years, worked as a phleb for 3 years, student gov't in college, alcohol and drug awareness program mentor, Big Brother for Big Brothers Big Sisters(Big Brother of the Year 2008 for my city-chosen among 1700 others), two undergrad research projects, 2 years post-grad research (no pubs), Volunteer healthcare for the homeless research project (ongoing), Organized a fundraiser (2K for breast cancer) and various others......I'll spare you!!!

Would it be ridiculous to still apply?

I recently shadowed a DO, and was very impressed. Did some research and I really like the philosophy. Currently I have had 2 MD interviews with decisions pending, and 7 MD schools to hear from.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hi, I think its definetly worth a shot to apply. You have a well rounded application, DO shadowing, and above average numbers. I would still call to make sure & ask them if spots are still available.

Deadline is feb. 1st for primary and march 1st for secondary.

(660) 626-2237= school's number
[email protected] = school's email

good luck

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me start the essay about qualifications. I know what i want to say in the contents, however, I'm not sure how to start the introduction. :confused:

Also, the prompt says please limit to 500 words or less. Is it wise to use 250 words? Or should I get as close to 500 words as possible?

Thanks

I don't remember exactly what the question was for the secondary essay but I would
1) first discuss my passions
2) then I would relate how these passions led me to involve myself in the certain activities
3) what these activities and experiences have taught me about myself.

Bottom line= get personal

everybody has ECs but the ones that stand out have notable purpose behind it.

Hope that helps, good luck.

So I got the March 2 interview date! Anyone else? I'm flying into Kansas City and renting a car, if anyone else would be interested in sharing a rental car PM me and we can figure something out. I would love to not have to eat all of that cost myself.

Thanks Relativity and liquid8r. Appreciate it!

Anyone interviewing this Friday (1/16)?

I came across this report by US news and it says that only 33% of KCOM graduates in 2005-2007 chose to go into primary care, which is the least for any other DO school on the list.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/med/primary_care_residents

This doesn't seem to be accurate looking at the match lists of KCOM for the past few years though. What you guys think?

I think that might be a little off but they typically send more into specialties. Look at the past 2 years, there's been a strong focus on specialization.

Additionally those lists are NOT entirely accurate.....Example: the matchlists found on SDN that we see are for that current year but some/many of the people in Internal Med may elect to purse a sub-specialty so they initially appear Primary Care but end up specializing.

I came across this report by US news and it says that only 33% of KCOM graduates in 2005-2007 chose to go into primary care, which is the least for any other DO school on the list.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/med/primary_care_residents

This doesn't seem to be accurate looking at the match lists of KCOM for the past few years though. What you guys think?

It seems pretty accurate to me, something like 50% of their graduates went into surgery in 2008, so I wouldn't be surprised. It's also an average for 2005,2006,2007. KCOM's website only gives information for 2007,2008.

Regardless, this is good news as it will show certain ignorant MD premeds a thing or two about "if you go D.O., you are doomed to family medicine.."

Members don't see this ad :)
There is an airline that flies between STL and Kirksville, but I have heard that they frequently cancel due to weather conditions. Here's the link. http://www.kirksvillecity.com/Kirksvilleregionalairport/flightinfo.htm
I have an interview next month and I was going to fly to Des Moines and drive, but I decided against that due to possible road conditions. I am now flying into Kansas City and driving to Kirksville. I think KC is about 30 miles closer to Kirksville than STL is, and I know it is divided highway for the majority of the drive. Good luck to you.

Are there taxis parked by the airport? How do we get to town from the regional airport?

I was actually wondering the same thing. But I think to be safe, I'm going to save a cab company's # onto my cell in case there aren't any outside the airport.

so what are some things I can do to get a feel of the town when I come for my interview? I'll be arriving on a Saturday night and have the whole day on Sunday to explore. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

so what are some things I can do to get a feel of the town when I come for my interview? I'll be arriving on a Saturday night and have the whole day on Sunday to explore. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I think that's a good idea, I was initially going to arrive on the Sunday night, but now that I think about it, a lot could go wrong, and it is safer to arrive on a Saturday night, get a feel of the town.

I think that's a good idea, I was initially going to arrive on the Sunday night, but now that I think about it, a lot could go wrong, and it is safer to arrive on a Saturday night, get a feel of the town.
are you still going on March 2? What airport are you looking into flying into?

are you still going on March 2? What airport are you looking into flying into?

Yes, I'm still scheduled to interview on March 2nd, now I plan to fly in on Feb 28th, explore the town on March 1st, then interview on March 2nd, stay the night, and leave on March 3rd. I'm flying into St. Louis International Airport from Canada, then taking the tiny plane to Kirksville regional airport. If you want to fly directly into Kirksville, you have to go via St. Louis international airport. More information at airchoiceone.com

Yes, I'm still scheduled to interview on March 2nd, now I plan to fly in on Feb 28th, explore the town on March 1st, then interview on March 2nd, stay the night, and leave on March 3rd. I'm flying into St. Louis International Airport from Canada, then taking the tiny plane to Kirksville regional airport. If you want to fly directly into Kirksville, you have to go via St. Louis international airport. More information at airchoiceone.com
Yeah I havee seen info on that, but those tiny planes make me nervous. I think I'll just fly into Kansas City or St. Louis, whichever one is less expensive when I have the money saved up for the plane ticket, and drive from there. Good luck with your travel plans and I'l see you at the interview!

Did anyone get "NO" student housing on their interview day?

eva171-

I'm interviewing March 6th. I didn't check the option to stay with a student when I selected the date so I don't know...sorry.

Just got a call this morning. I'm in :D
Good luck to those who are interviewing.

Hey guys...just found out last week I was accepted to KCOM! To those who have been accepted, do you guys know of places that are close to campus (within walking distance) that are available for August? I found a few, but the lady I was talking to said they are going quickly.

Hey guys...just found out last week I was accepted to KCOM! To those who have been accepted, do you guys know of places that are close to campus (within walking distance) that are available for August? I found a few, but the lady I was talking to said they are going quickly.

I have seen a few (online) that are close to campus.
Here's a few real estate links
http://www.kirksvillepropertymanagement.com (click on "Now available")
http://www.4horizonsrealty.com/
http://www.kirksvillerealestate.com/Rentals.jsp
http://www.rentkirksville.com/ ( I think the apts for 295 and 325 are close to campus)

i interviewed on 1/15

should i be hearing something today??? i'm so nervous because I LOVED KCOM and and i just want to know by now...

let me know if anyone else is in my situation, or has a clue ....

thanks a ton!

Hi DetroitDO, did you call the office about your status? They usually let you know of your acceptance 1 OR 2 weeks after your interview. For example, I interviewed on a friday and got the call the following wednesday. Good luck, KCOM has excellent match list with opportunities to go back to michigan for clinicals (If you are from Michigan).

Has anyone heard of the incidents listed in the following website?

http://www.geocities.com/kcomwatch/

It was almost a decade ago, but maybe some current students or alumni can shed some light on what happened and if/how it has affected students.

Has anyone heard of the incidents listed in the following website?

http://www.geocities.com/kcomwatch/

It was almost a decade ago, but maybe some current students or alumni can shed some light on what happened and if/how it has affected students.

I cannot tell you anything personally but I'd say they've adjusted well by now. I really haven't found an unsatisfied student.

On another note I worked with a resident from KCOM that graduated in 2003, he had zero reservations about KCOM and highly recommended it.

So now that I've seen the school, I have to say, everything that I've read about the KCOM is pretty accurate. Everyone is go-out-of-their-way nice, the students all seem to be pretty pleased to be there, and the 2 hours worth of interview bordered on enjoyable. I almost forgot that the faculty that I was interviewing with were like, actively evaluating me, haha.

Anyway, good luck to all of the interviewees. Let's hope for good news.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this school! Hope to hear something soon. :):):)

Hi everyone,

I've got an interview on 2/25, will be flying into Des Moines on the 25th and will be renting a car for the trip down. Anyone looking for a ride?

My interview was on this past Friday, 1/30 and I just fell in love with the school. I have interviewed a few other places, but this just feels like the right fit for me.

Best of luck to those getting the call tomorrow. Hope to see you there in the fall!

I had an interview on 2/2 and they told me to call in the next upcoming thursday which is today. Im going to call them when I wake up. Pretty anxious/nervous/stoked/worried ahhh

I gave them a call late yesterday afternoon and they told me that I'm going to have to wait another week.

:eek: I think that they're trying to test my stress management skills.

For those who have interviewed, were there any venues for vegetarian meals in town? Also for the interview lunch, do they offer a vegetarian choice? :laugh:

mash yes they do offer a veggy meal, one girl asked for it. And I called them today and told me I will have to wait another week also :scared::scared::scared:

For those who have interviewed, were there any venues for vegetarian meals in town? Also for the interview lunch, do they offer a vegetarian choice? :laugh:

for the venue in town go to il spazio...
i went there and got a salad which came with poppy seed dressing and it was ELECTRIC green, delicious but very different

overall, il spazio will have something you can eat, pasta, a salad, a pizza w/o meat...you get the gist

anyone here waiting for a phone call this wednesday cause I sure as hell am!!!

anyone here waiting for a phone call this wednesday cause I sure as hell am!!!

sadly i got a small letter in the mail today letting me know that KCOM did not feel the love as much as I did...:( oh well, I got backups

just kind of wish i hadn't spent $1000+ on the trip!!

but good luck franky!

I am definitely hoping for a call this Wednesday! :)

My interview was on 1-30. I talked to admissions this past week and they are still waiting on acceptances to come in before they made any decisions.

No word yet on the second Wednesday since my interview :scared:

It looks like I'll be calling in the morning, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.