AVC c/o 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

schnauzer27

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I thought I'd create this thread for the c/o 2020 hopefuls at Atlantic Veterinary College to connect and help each other out! Wishing you all the best of luck with your applications!

It will be interesting to see how the new interview process goes! Here's hoping I will meet you all on interview day!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been waiting for this thread! I'll be seeing you on interview day :)

Hey there, I'll be one of the students showing you guys around interview day!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also interviewing next week! I hope to see you guys there :)

Do you know if we need a parking pass if we're driving to the campus on interview day?

Also, any advice on what should we bring with us on interview day?

I'm also interviewing next week! I hope to see you guys there :)

Do you know if we need a parking pass if we're driving to the campus on interview day?

I'd email Sharon and ask - you do need a permit to park in campus lots but they may have a plan in place like the Dean's lot or something similar.

@vet3542 - Bring warm clothing/layers and comfortable shoes you can walk in on the tour. That's all you need.

Good luck to everyone interviewing :)

Hey guys, I was at the PEI/AVC interviews in November and am anxiously awaiting hearing from the school. Does anyone know when they typically notify applicants?

Hey guys, I was at the PEI/AVC interviews in November and am anxiously awaiting hearing from the school. Does anyone know when they typically notify applicants?

You can check back on previous acceptance threads. I interviewed in early March and heard back two weeks later (early acceptance).

You can check back on previous acceptance threads. I interviewed in early March and heard back two weeks later (early acceptance).
Thanks :) I've been looking around but all the class of 2019 acceptance threads from last year are empty on the AVC line, so I'm having a hard time figuring out when OOS students should expect to know.

Thanks :) I've been looking around but all the class of 2019 acceptance threads from last year are empty on the AVC line, so I'm having a hard time figuring out when OOS students should expect to know.

Try looking at earlier years. (I was c/o 2015, if that helps.) The thing to remember is that even if you are waitlisted, the list tends to move quite well, just a bit later, as US students hear back from other US schools (which may take them off the waitlist).

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember them saying at interview day that we'd be hearing back in early Jan. So I think that means soon :wideyed:

I remember them saying at interview day that we'd be hearing back in early Jan. So I think that means soon :wideyed:

Yeah they said something like "in the early new year" .... I'm assuming it means early January haha

They changed the process this year. So no one really knows whe you should
know by. Good luck to all who applied/interviewed already. Good luck ya'll!

Hey everyone! I spoke with Sharon about a week before Christmas and she told me that the committee had already met and made their decisions, but that they wanted her to hold off sending out the letters until the 1st or 2nd week of January! I hope that's helpful (:) oooo! And also I should mention that I'm an international applicant from CA. THE BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL!! :happy:

Hey everyone! I spoke with Sharon about a week before Christmas and she told me that the committee had already met and made their decisions, but that they wanted her to hold off sending out the letters until the 1st or 2nd week of January! I hope that's helpful :)) oooo! And also I should mention that I'm an international applicant from CA. THE BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL!! :happy:

Thanks for this info!! :D Do you know what they mean by letter? Like, are we going to be hearing back through snail mail or email?

International students hear via email, and it should be any day now.

Omg! I'm sooo nervous!!!! Yeah I wasn't sure exactly because Sharon just said "sending out letters first or second week of January" :) Looks like I'll stop stalking my mail man than and return to obssesively checking my email! :X3:

Ooo! Forgot to add something! Does anyone know if we qualify for US federal student loans going to AVC?

I am in a predicament; and I could use some advice. I have an interview at LMU on the 18th, but I don't want to have to go if I hear from PEI (I would have to fly and also pay for a hotel stay). Anybody hear anything yet?

I am in a predicament; and I could use some advice. I have an interview at LMU on the 18th, but I don't want to have to go if I hear from PEI (I would have to fly and also pay for a hotel stay). Anybody hear anything yet?

Nothing yet. I'm definitely starting to lose patience :confused:

Letters are coming by snail mail my roommate received her acceptance today!

Letters are coming by snail mail my roommate received her acceptance today!

Oh! I should go check my mailbox then! Is your roommate Canadian or American?

Oh! I should go check my mailbox then! Is your roommate Canadian or American?

American! Don't worry if you haven't received anything because I didn't get anything in the mail and there was that snow storm

I received my lovely "Alternate List" letter today... looks like I'm buying a last minute flight to LMU tonight, at least I have a UPENN interview in 9 days!!! Congrats to all acceptances!!! (USA applicant)

American! Don't worry if you haven't received anything because I didn't get anything in the mail and there was that snow storm

True. I hope you hear back soon!!

@Coquette22 Thanks, I didn't know that!
@SmAnmlndExtcsERDoc Sorry about the alternate letter, but congrats on your LMU and Penn interviews!

I received my lovely "Alternate List" letter today... looks like I'm buying a last minute flight to LMU tonight, at least I have a UPENN interview in 9 days!!! Congrats to all acceptances!!! (USA applicant)
I know how disappointing hearing that youre an alternate is ): I'm in that boat right now with WesternU. The good thing is that these alternate lists certainly do move, so no giving up hope yet! ^^ And congrats on your other interviews! You definitely have plenty of reasons to be excited and proud of yourself!! No matter what, everything will be okay and you WILL end up in vet school if you keep pushing forward!! :)
Ooo! What state to you happen to live in? Im in CA and would just like to know roughly when my letter might be on here! :)
CONGRATS TO EVERYONE REGARDLESS OF ACCEPTANCES OR ALTERNATES!
ALL OF YOU DESERVE HUGS!!!! HAHA
:love::love:

While US students can and do use US federal loans, you can only get up to $20,500 subsidized (lower interest rate) if you attend PEI, not the $40,500 that students at US schools can.
. Ah gotcha! Okay so the remainder than has to be made up in private loans right? Which BTW, what is the max you can borrow each year all together? Is it like undergrad where the institution deems overall cost of attendance and then that amount is the max you're allowed to borrow each year? And just to make sure I'm not super mistaken (which I could very well be) the tuition at AVC is $40,000 US right?

. Ah gotcha! Okay so the remainder than has to be made up in private loans right? Which BTW, what is the max you can borrow each year all together? Is it like undergrad where the institution deems overall cost of attendance and then that amount is the max you're allowed to borrow each year? And just to make sure I'm not super mistaken (which I could very well be) the tuition at AVC is $40,000 US right?
Tuition at AVC in USD will fluctuate. Right now, you get a significant break due to the weak Canadian dollar. So yes, right now, tuition is about $40,000USD a year, but that can change. Also keep in mind that PEI is a high cost of living place due to it's isolation. I like AVC, but I'd advise all international students to seriously run the numbers before accepting a spot there.

Tuition at AVC in USD will fluctuate. Right now, you get a significant break due to the weak Canadian dollar. So yes, right now, tuition is about $40,000USD a year, but that can change. Also keep in mind that PEI is a high cost of living place due to it's isolation. I like AVC, but I'd advise all international students to seriously run the numbers before accepting a spot there.
Ahh okay! Yeah that makes sense ^^ I can only imagine how expensive things can get! I think that rent is cheaper though on average from where I'm from, so maybe it will all balance out? Lol
What is AVCs "cost of attendance" BTW? And if you don't mind me asking, what was the max amount you were able to borrow each year? So sorry for all these questions! It's just so wonderful to have someone to talk to about all this stuff noone else understands or cares about! :love:

Ahh okay! Yeah that makes sense ^^ I can only imagine how expensive things can get! I think that rent is cheaper though on average from where I'm from, so maybe it will all balance out? Lol
What is AVCs "cost of attendance" BTW? And if you don't mind me asking, what was the max amount you were able to borrow each year? So sorry for all these questions! It's just so wonderful to have someone to talk to about all this stuff noone else understands or cares about! :love:
I'm Canadian, so can't help you with that. @that redhead might know more.

Nope, still US loans, just not subsidized (so interest rate is much higher). I dunno about max amount - I just took out enough to cover tuition each year. Tuition depends on the exchange rate, which is in favor of US students now. When I was a student it was around $50,000/yr.

Cost of attendance info is in a sticky-ed thread at the top of this forum, broken down for each school. Rent is cheaper (I'm from a big metro area, so anything is cheaper than here), but everything else, including gas and groceries is a lot more expensive than stateside. Like @Coquette22 mentioned, any US student should seriously run the numbers for PEI. I'm happy to go more in depth on costs and such for specific things if you'd want to know that, but a lot depends on your situation (roommates versus not, etc). Also, feel free to PM if any other US-student specific questions :)

Nope, still US loans, just not subsidized (so interest rate is much higher). I dunno about max amount - I just took out enough to cover tuition each year. Tuition depends on the exchange rate, which is in favor of US students now. When I was a student it was around $50,000/yr.Cost of attendance info is in a sticky-ed thread at the top of this forum, broken down for each school. Rent is cheaper (I'm from a big metro area, so anything is cheaper than here), but everything else, including gas and groceries are a lot more expensive than stateside. Like @Coquette22 mentioned, any US student should seriously run the numbers for PEI. I'm happy to go more in depth on costs and such for specific things if you'd want to know that, but a lot depends on your situation (roommates versus not, etc). Also, feel free to PM if any other US-student specific questions :)
I appreciate all this info immensely!! I too come from a pretty expensive place to live out here in CA so just about anywhere would be cheaper rent wise! Haha. But yeah, I can only imagine the difference in groceries and stuff! It will definitely be something I'll have to add up and take into consideration. And I will DEFINITELY PM ya to get more specifics about that kind of stuff!
I know that when the time comes I'll need extra help loan wise because I don't have any financial support from family and I only have about a few thousand in all my accts that I saved throughout undergrad ): So that extra money we're allowed after tuition is covered is something I'm pretty concerned about since it's what I'll be using to live! :)

Got my letter today and was accepted!!

WOOOOT!! That's wonderful!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! :) Are you for sure going to be attending?! And if not, than where else are ya hoping to go? Ooo and also, what part of the US are ya from? I'm dying over here waiting in CA! haha :X3:

YES! Congrats!!! :soexcited:

I'm still waiting on mine. Hoping it arrives today (and that it's good news lol)

WOOOOT!! That's wonderful!!!!!!! Congrats!!!! :) Are you for sure going to be attending?! And if not, than where else are ya hoping to go? Ooo and also, what part of the US are ya from? I'm dying over here waiting in CA! haha :X3:

Thank you! And no not attending for sure yet... I have interviews at Iowa, Tennessee, Tufts, and Auburn coming up and I like all of the schools for different reasons. Iowa and Tennessee I like a little bit more than the others but honestly I'm not sure. I do really love the feel I got from AVC (like the community feeling, location, etc) though so as I go to the other schools I'll see how they compare. I'm from Massachusetts! I hope you get good news soon:)

YES! Congrats!!! :soexcited:

I'm still waiting on mine. Hoping it arrives today (and that it's good news lol)

Thank you :hardy:! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

I just got my letter and was accepted!! :love: I hope everyone else hears soon!!

Unless I get pulled of the waitlist for WesternU, AVC will be my home!! Wow, that feels so good to say!

I only applied to 4 programs (Western, Colorado, Oregon, and AVC) because I loved something different about each and every one of them and could really see myself being happy in those places!