Away rotation advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FIREitUP

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow, there seems to be so many away rotation threads that I searched through, but I had a fairly specific situation I was hoping you guys could weigh in on for me.

I'm from an east coast state school. From what I've heard, doing an away on the west coast would help me break into that area and garner me additional interviews after I apply. I do have family in Los Angeles that I could stay with, but I'm worried that the derm programs are too strong over there, and wouldn't even consider interviewing me because of my school pedigree and lack of AOA (though clinical grades are nearly perfect, my numbers are good, and I'm doing a year of derm research). Would there be any benefit to rotating at any of these institutions in LA?

What are your guys' opinions about this? I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, there seems to be so many away rotation threads that I searched through, but I had a fairly specific situation I was hoping you guys could weigh in on for me.

I'm from an east coast state school. From what I've heard, doing an away on the west coast would help me break into that area and garner me additional interviews after I apply. I do have family in Los Angeles that I could stay with, but I'm worried that the derm programs are too strong over there, and wouldn't even consider interviewing me because of my school pedigree and lack of AOA (though clinical grades are nearly perfect, my numbers are good, and I'm doing a year of derm research). Would there be any benefit to rotating at any of these institutions in LA?

Thanks guys!

Here are some random thoughts:

1. In my experience, derm invites tend to be regional (I realize everyone on this board told us this before, but trust me, it is true). However, doing an away in a different location can lead to additional interviews in that region (particularly if you get a strong LOR).

2. Not all programs will give you an interview if you rotate with them. However, just because a program does not plan to interview you does not mean a faculty member will be unwilling to write you a strong LOR.

3. I hope current applicants will continue to fill-out the dermatology interview GoogleDoc so that rising fourth years can get the scoop on what away rotations are like at different programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Here are some random thoughts:

1. In my experience, derm invites tend to be regional (I realize everyone on this board told us this before, but trust me, it is true). However, doing an away in a different location can lead to additional interviews in that region (particularly if you get a strong LOR).

2. Not all programs will give you an interview if you rotate with them. However, just because a program does not plan to interview you does not mean a faculty member will be unwilling to write you a strong LOR.

3. I hope current applicants will continue to fill-out the dermatology interview GoogleDoc so that rising fourth years can get the scoop on what away rotations are like at different programs.

Great advice, thanks! Part of what worries me is that because these LA programs are so strong, that getting a strong letter would be also a more difficult feat due to the increased competition and higher quality rotators. Would you agree with that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Great advice, thanks! Part of what worries me is that because these LA programs are so strong, that getting a strong letter would be also a more difficult feat due to the increased competition and higher quality rotators. Would you agree with that?

Let me put it this way: while on my derm rotations, I was amazed by how some rotators seemed uninterested or did not actively take initiative. Just because a program gets people from better schools and with AOA does not mean they will outshine you. I have a friend of mine who did an away at a California program, and despite not having the best Step1 score or AOA, he got a great letter and an interview from the program. Why? Because he has a great personality, he is fun to work with, and he worked his butt off. Again, as I start to look back on this process, I will say that as important as Step1 and AOA are, personality is huge. Additionally, I think pedigree is a bigger deal than I realized

Thanks guys!

That's a risk that each person has to evaluate

For me personally, since I decided on derm pretty late (early 4th year), my focus was more on matching rather than location. I opted to do my away locally to optimize my chances of matching. If you're hellbent on matching on the west coast, you'll have to take that leap of faith and try your best to wow them on your rotation.

That's a risk that each person has to evaluate

For me personally, since I decided on derm pretty late (early 4th year), my focus was more on matching rather than location. I opted to do my away locally to optimize my chances of matching. If you're hellbent on matching on the west coast, you'll have to take that leap of faith and try your best to wow them on your rotation.

Thanks for your input! I'm not really hellbent on the West Coast, to be honest (I would personally prefer to match on the east coast). But I have heard from multiple people that doing an away in a different geographical region can broaden your net so to speak, and get you interviews in that area so you don't experience as much regional bias. My thinking is that I would get more total interviews, which would in turn increase my overall chances at matching. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for your input! I'm not really hellbent on the West Coast, to be honest (I would personally prefer to match on the east coast). But I have heard from multiple people that doing an away in a different geographical region can broaden your net so to speak, and get you interviews in that area so you don't experience as much regional bias. My thinking is that I would get more total interviews, which would in turn increase my overall chances at matching. What are your thoughts on this?

Same thing, two ways to play it. You can try spreading out your aways so you'll possibly net more interviews. You can also try focusing on the region with highest probability to match and focusing all your aways there as well.

Same thing, two ways to play it. You can try spreading out your aways so you'll possibly net more interviews. You can also try focusing on the region with highest probability to match and focusing all your aways there as well.

Thanks so much for all of your advice and guidance guys!

By the way, do derm departments know where you rotated only based on your letters, or do they look through your transcript to see if you went on an away (in case you didn't get a letter from the away)?

By the way, do derm departments know where you rotated only based on your letters, or do they look through your transcript to see if you went on an away (in case you didn't get a letter from the away)?

At my school, our transcript just says "dermatology rotation."

At my school, our transcript just says "dermatology rotation."

So the only way that any other program would know where you rotated is through your letters? Can anyone else confirm this?

So the only way that any other program would know where you rotated is through your letters? Can anyone else confirm this?

Most programs will only read the letters. They don't care that you've rotated, but rather are interested in what others have to say about you on your rotation. The grade you got on the rotation (for the most part) is irrelevant.

Most programs will only read the letters. They don't care that you've rotated, but rather are interested in what others have to say about you on your rotation. The grade you got on the rotation (for the most part) is irrelevant.

wow! i did not know that, thanks so much for that information!!!