AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I received an email about the loan application process. I was wondering how can I apply for Perkins Loan? Should I indicate it on the school loan application?

I heard the loan app start in 17th Feb this year. But I am still very hazy about the whole loan process. Can some one please enlighten me on that briefly? (e.g. 1st step, 2nd step.....)

PS I have submitted my FAFSA. I only intended to apply for Stafford Loan (will not consider Gradplus). So in my case how does the loan application goes for me?

Thank you and appreciate your help. 8)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys, I received an email about the loan application process. I was wondering how can I apply for Perkins Loan? Should I indicate it on the school loan application?

I heard the loan app start in 17th Feb this year. But I am still very hazy about the whole loan process. Can some one please enlighten me on that briefly? (e.g. 1st step, 2nd step.....)

PS I have submitted my FAFSA. I only intended to apply for Stafford Loan (will not consider Gradplus). So in my case how does the loan application goes for me?

Thank you and appreciate your help. 8)

Not sure if you can even get the Perkins loan at MWU...but to find out that or any other information, your best bet is to call or send an email to [email protected].
The financial aid department is pretty good about getting back to you quickly and answering any questions you may have, so they really are your best resource.

Hey everyone, I just withdrew my interview invitation and application from AZCOM. Hope someone gets it soon. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, it'd be great if anyone who has interviewed already could describe what the day was like.
How many interviewees are there? What do you do the rest of the day if there is only one group interview which is 30 minutes long?
Thanks

Hey guys, it'd be great if anyone who has interviewed already could describe what the day was like.
How many interviewees are there? What do you do the rest of the day if there is only one group interview which is 30 minutes long?
Thanks

Well, I'll do the best I can:

Ok so, I woke up around 6 I believe. They start around 8:30-9 I think, so I got up really early to make sure that I had enough time to get ready. I got in the shower, and hung my suit on the shower door to free up some wrinkles with the hot steam. I put on some spare clothes I had and went down to eat breakfast at the Drury (free breakfast! SWEET) and then went back to my room to finish dressing up. Put on my makeup and called the front desk to make sure that my shuttle was coming. Went downstairs about 10 minutes before the shuttle came and chillax'd for a while.

Shuttle came and took me to the front door of the Administration. Got my name badge and entered the room. There was about 30 people or so in there, but not everyone was interviewing for the D.O. program. There were people interviewing for the dental school. All in all, there were about 18 people competing against interviewing with me. I sat with a dental student and 2 other dudes for the D.O. program and we chatted a bit. We watched a small presentation about the school given by the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs I believe. This was pretty routine; just some numbers about COMLEX/USMLE and the different subjects you will be taking.

My last name is at the end of the alphabet so I was going to be one of the last interviewed. The first group went to interview, and the 2nd group went to tour the campus. Some of the other people touring with me were talking about other schools they were applying to, and it was pretty annoying. At lunch, we got to speak with some current students, and they were pretty cool. Asked them a lot of questions about test schedules, etc. After it was all over, I got in my car and started driving back home, a 6 hour drive.

Semi-serious post. I don't know how they would alter the schedule for only one interview group. I assume there is no afternoon interview group and you go home after lunch or something.

Well, I'll do the best I can:

Ok so, I woke up around 6 I believe. They start around 8:30-9 I think, so I got up really early to make sure that I had enough time to get ready. I got in the shower, and hung my suit on the shower door to free up some wrinkles with the hot steam. I put on some spare clothes I had and went down to eat breakfast at the Drury (free breakfast! SWEET) and then went back to my room to finish dressing up. Put on my makeup and called the front desk to make sure that my shuttle was coming. Went downstairs about 10 minutes before the shuttle came and chillax'd for a while.

Shuttle came and took me to the front door of the Administration. Got my name badge and entered the room. There was about 30 people or so in there, but not everyone was interviewing for the D.O. program. There were people interviewing for the dental school. All in all, there were about 18 people competing against interviewing with me. I sat with a dental student and 2 other dudes for the D.O. program and we chatted a bit. We watched a small presentation about the school given by the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs I believe. This was pretty routine; just some numbers about COMLEX/USMLE and the different subjects you will be taking.

My last name is at the end of the alphabet so I was going to be one of the last interviewed. The first group went to interview, and the 2nd group went to tour the campus. Some of the other people touring with me were talking about other schools they were applying to, and it was pretty annoying. At lunch, we got to speak with some current students, and they were pretty cool. Asked them a lot of questions about test schedules, etc. After it was all over, I got in my car and started driving back home, a 6 hour drive.

Semi-serious post. I don't know how they would alter the schedule for only one interview group. I assume there is no afternoon interview group and you go home after lunch or something.

Ditto to the above, cept I flew in, stayed at a different hotel and rented a whip. Very low-stress throughout the day. There were lots of kids just hanging out in the rec center or playing volleyball (obviously not med students).

Thanks for the info! I'm interviewing in a couple of weeks, do you have any last minute advice on how to prepare for the interview? Anything that you wish you could've done? Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info! I'm interviewing in a couple of weeks, do you have any last minute advice on how to prepare for the interview? Anything that you wish you could've done? Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Mainly rehearse your answer to the big 3 (why medicine, why do, why azcom) which they know you have rehearsed (my interviewer even said, lets hear your rehearsed answer). Then just be ready for anything. I got asked a bunch of off the wall questions, but never anything that wasn't easily answered. If you're confident in yourself, it'll show. Don't be afraid to ask for some time when posed with a particularly thought-provoking question and most of all, have fun with it.

I got asked "What is something you'd change about yourself?" Often people would input things like "omg im a perfectionist" or "i work too hard." Don't be a tool like these people. I said something real: "I drink a lot of soda, and I'd like to cut down on that." That led into "Whats your favorite soda?" and I said Dr. Pepper. "Regular or Diet?" Then I said "Dr Pepper has a new 10 calorie soda coming out, have you seen the commercial? It's hilarious. It's a soda marketed for men, because men don't drink zero calorie soda!" and we all had a great laugh.

They may also try to make you contradict yourself. Just be firm in your stance and don't be swayed. Always try to relate your answers back to your own personal experience.

I agree about it being fairly conversation beyond the big 3 that Wily mentioned. Honestly, I don't think they like asking those questions either but their evaluation form is actually quite precise, moreso to keep things moving. There is also a possibility you'll get that weird odd ball question, like what fruit you be or something of the sort. It's all about demeanor really at that point.

If you all had a choice between Western Comp and AZCOM...which one would you choose?

Anyone know when AZCOM begins to consider those who have been placed on a "hold pre-interview?"

Anyone know when AZCOM begins to consider those who have been placed on a "hold pre-interview?"

Not positive on this one, but last year it seemed like they sporadically went back and re-reviewed applications throughout the cycle, though they seem to have been dishing out more pre-interview holds this year than previous years, so who knows what's really going on. You can always contact the admissions office and inquire, though.

Yeah I have called back but they said they have not started to look at the "oh hold" apps yet. I updated them with my fall grades in January but still no word. I wonder how full the class is...

Members don't see this ad :)
In response to Trailhead's question... I'm going to Tucson next year and am super excited about it! In talking with other students who have rotated down there, they all really enjoyed their preceptors and wards.We have a system that lets you look at available preceptors before selecting who you'd like to rotate with. We will all do a month of Preceptor based IM and our Ward based IM will either be at U of AZ Medical Center or Kino Community Health Center. The patient population you're interested in working with will factor into your selection. I'm also doing a Ward based peds rotation in Tulsa OK (housing is available through the school).
I chose Tucson for a lot of reasons, but I really like that it's smaller (LESS TRAFFIC!!) than Phoenix and the people there are a nice mix of outdoorsy types, college kids and families. It's a little more granola (like my hometown of Boulder, CO) and the weather is nicer than Phoenix...or Chicago. Plus with the graduate student in-school loan subsidies going away, it makes sense to live in a place where the cost of living is not astronomical. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions

In response to Trailhead's question... I'm going to Tucson next year and am super excited about it! In talking with other students who have rotated down there, they all really enjoyed their preceptors and wards.We have a system that lets you look at available preceptors before selecting who you'd like to rotate with. We will all do a month of Preceptor based IM and our Ward based IM will either be at U of AZ Medical Center or Kino Community Health Center. The patient population you're interested in working with will factor into your selection. I'm also doing a Ward based peds rotation in Tulsa OK (housing is available through the school).
I chose Tucson for a lot of reasons, but I really like that it's smaller (LESS TRAFFIC!!) than Phoenix and the people there are a nice mix of outdoorsy types, college kids and families. It's a little more granola (like my hometown of Boulder, CO) and the weather is nicer than Phoenix...or Chicago. Plus with the graduate student in-school loan subsidies going away, it makes sense to live in a place where the cost of living is not astronomical. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions

Thanks for the great info! If the vibe is anywhere near Boulder (one of my favorite cities), I see myself really enjoying Tucson. Although I know I'll be too busy to really enjoy it, I'm glad there are great outdoor opportunities, in particular, climbing! My only concern was that we would be competing with U of A students for all the clerkship spots. But, I suppose that atleast means these are very established ward spots. Might have to pull the trigger and switch. Thanks again, I might be PM'ing you with some more specific questions!

Anyone interviewing this Tuesday and staying at Drury?

Thanks for the great info! If the vibe is anywhere near Boulder (one of my favorite cities), I see myself really enjoying Tucson. Although I know I'll be too busy to really enjoy it, I'm glad there are great outdoor opportunities, in particular, climbing! My only concern was that we would be competing with U of A students for all the clerkship spots. But, I suppose that atleast means these are very established ward spots. Might have to pull the trigger and switch. Thanks again, I might be PM'ing you with some more specific questions!

I am currently a 3rd year in the Tucson region. PM me or post here if you want more questions about it. I am also currently rotating at UMC with 2 UofA students, so I have experience with them and the UMC system as well. Let me know if you want to know more.

Hey all,
I've been searching in vane for a 2011 AZCOM matchlist. I've found one for 2010 and one for 2009, but none for 2011. Can anyone help me out?

Hey all,
I've been searching in vane for a 2011 AZCOM matchlist. I've found one for 2010 and one for 2009, but none for 2011. Can anyone help me out?

Page one of this thread, underneath one of my posts.

Page one is kind of confusing as it is a combination of 3+ threads that had AZCOM in the title and were made around May of last year. The excel random is talking about is on the first page and it is also available by clicking the paperclip icon on the far right of the thread when viewing it in the Pre-Osteo subforum.

Here is a spread sheet that compares match lists, GPA/MCAT scores of matriculates, COMLEX scores, and other types of data. It includes:

-2011-2008 Match lists for many osteopathic schools
- comparison of match results between schools
-GPA/MCAT scores, a profiles of average matriculating students compared between all Osteopathic schools,
-COMLEX scores for some schools
- You'll also find comparison of tuition / graduate indebtedness between schools

https://sites.google.com/site/osteopathicreference/home

(I can't host the spread sheet on the forums because of size limits)

I apologize in advance that I will be mass posting this through out the forums this afternoon but many people have been looking for this data and I want the to be able to find it!

I am withdrawing my application to AZCOM. An awesome school! I know it's really last minute, but my interview was scheduled for Friday, Feb 17th. If anybody is in the area they can take it! Also, I saw an opening for Feb 20th as well. Good luck to you all!

Oh and there were a bunch of May dates available as well!

Last edited:
I am withdrawing my application to AZCOM. An awesome school! I know it's really last minute, but my interview was scheduled for Friday, Feb 17th. If anybody is in the area they can take it! Also, I saw an opening for Feb 20th as well. Good luck to you all!

Oh and there were a bunch of May dates available as well!

I would love to take it. I'm not local, but I'll hop a flight tonight. When are you going to drop it?

I would love to take it. I'm not local, but I'll hop a flight tonight. When are you going to drop it?

I already dropped it before my post. Call the office! Good luck! If not there was one on the 20th! Hope you get it :luck:

Can someone help with ideas for "Why AZCOM?" I obviously like the school but I don't see anything specific in the curriculum that makes it super different from other schools. What other things do people like to talk about for this essay? Also, the limit is 1500. Anyone actually write that much? Seems much longer than any other secondary I've seen.

Can someone help with ideas for "Why AZCOM?" I obviously like the school but I don't see anything specific in the curriculum that makes it super different from other schools. What other things do people like to talk about for this essay? Also, the limit is 1500. Anyone actually write that much? Seems much longer than any other secondary I've seen.

It's 1500 characters, not 1500 words. So it's really not that long at all. My essay was about 240 words which is 1/3 of a page. Also, you said, "I obviously like the school...," so write why you like it. Reasons AZCOM is a good fit doesn't have to be about curriculum. I wrote about how the area is nice for family since I am married with a daughter. Think about everything you might encounter during medical school and find something that AZCOM is good for. It doesn't need to be something ONLY AZCOM has. It may be something that is just good about the school. The question doesn't read, "Why is AZCOM your number one choice or better than other schools for you." It asks, "How will AZCOM help you be successful as a student." The question is independent of what other schools may offer. Hope this helps.

I can't believe I didn't realize it was characters and not words! My head is spinning from all of these secondaries. Thanks for your response, huge help!

To those of you with applications on hold pre-interview, have you called the admission or mailed a letter to restate your interest? I am not taking classes or retaking the mcat so I can't update that kind of info, but I am completing a perso trainer certification and was invited to join a committee at my alma mater; would that count/help? Also, do you recommend, or advise I don't, mention I was accepted for another program?
I appreciate any info you may share. Thanks.

Last edited:
To those of you with applications on hold pre-interview, have you called the admission or mailed a letter to restate your interest? I am not taking classes or retaking the mcat so I can't update that kind of info, but I am completing a perso trainer certification and was invited to join a committee at my alma mater; would that count/help? Also, do you recommend, or advise I don't, mention I was accepted for another program?

I don't think that would specifically help, but calling them and asking if there is a status update would. Although, I will say that if you have an updated CV to send that includes your new activites, it would help in that way. You have to think about the documents they have or want and for each update, it is another chance to call and remind them of your interest.

I can't believe I didn't realize it was characters and not words! My head is spinning from all of these secondaries. Thanks for your response, huge help!

Don't feel bad...I read it that way at first too :)

I am also on hold preinterview and sent them a letter and called multiple times but they said nothing has changed. Very frustrating.

...My only concern was that we would be competing with U of A students for all the clerkship spots. But, I suppose that atleast means these are very established ward spots...

SOMA students rotate in UPH as well, if I'm not mistaken. There are 30 SOMA students assigned to Tucson for their rotations, most IM, FM, and Peds. is done at El Rio Community Health Center, but I know they do some ward based stuff at UPH.

I don't think that would specifically help, but calling them and asking if there is a status update would. Although, I will say that if you have an updated CV to send that includes your new activites, it would help in that way. You have to think about the documents they have or want and for each update, it is another chance to call and remind them of your interest.

I am also on hold preinterview and sent them a letter and called multiple times but they said nothing has changed. Very frustrating.

Thanks for your response.

SOMA students rotate in UPH as well, if I'm not mistaken. There are 30 SOMA students assigned to Tucson for their rotations, most IM, FM, and Peds. is done at El Rio Community Health Center, but I know they do some ward based stuff at UPH.

I should note that AZCOM is anticipated to send around 45 to Tucson, in addition to the Valley kids that go down there for their ward based IM. I know there are a lot of SOMA people down here and we've all gone out for a nice lunch but I haven't encountered any so far on rotations. SOMA appears to do their UMC rotation in 4th year but UMC is likely to be UPH aka UMC south campus. There is an IM residency there as well, so it is definitely a good experience vs. say, TMC.

SOMA also seems to be exclusive to Northwest, which no AZCOM students are allowed to go to as of this writing, but for some reason SOMA students can no longer go to St. Joes or CHVI. Something is going on behind the scenes all the time, at least in the Tucson medical community.

That said, with UofA expanding their main campus and branch campus and the starting of Mayo Scottsdale medical school, everything could change by the time you all roll around. There are many 'ward' based rotations to go around but you have to fight for the good opportunities. Do not let AZCOM just send you to wherever is convenient for them. Take control of your 3rd year so that you don't just ooze through it and end up being unprepared for your auditions in 4th year. Believe me when I say AZCOM will impede you only if you do not provide sufficient time and documentation to go where you want to go and do what you want to do, even in 3rd year.

This is my last week at UMC main campus and I have to say, in talking with classmates who did their IM ward at Cottonwood, Sierra Vista and TMC, UMC pushes you way harder and gives you a better outlook on life as an intern. I used to think that ward based rotations were all hype but it really does matter where you go, not just for your application, but what you experience. If you find yourself with a ton of downtime in 3rd year, burning the days away in a tiny outpatient office and only studying for the shelf, you need to re-evaluate your situation. You're paying a lot to go here and you should be in control of your education.

Last edited:
My final LOR was finally received on Feb 15 and the interview invitation was sent on Feb 18. On the 18th, I reserved a spot for May 4th, but found an earlier date (April 11th) today. I will probably keep stalking the portal to try to move up to the 2nd, but does it really matter? Can I expect a more difficult/scrutinizing interview because of the later interview date?

On a side note, why does AZCOM not hold interviews during March?

My final LOR was finally received on Feb 15 and the interview invitation was sent on Feb 18. On the 18th, I reserved a spot for May 4th, but found an earlier date (April 11th) today. I will probably keep stalking the portal to try to move up to the 2nd, but does it really matter? Can I expect a more difficult/scrutinizing interview because of the later interview date?

On a side note, why does AZCOM not hold interviews during March?

Unless things have changed, they do interview in March; it's just likely that there aren't any available dates right now. Keep checking the portal religiously and you'll likely see something open up.

As far as the interview being more difficult/scrutinizing the later it is, sort of, but that just goes with interviewing later in the cycle after most acceptances have already gone out. Just do your best and it shouldn't really matter.
*To clarify, the interview will still be the same but the adcom is more likely to find itself liking two applicants, only having space for one, and finding some random reason that is normally inconsequential to help them decide why applicant A is better than B.

Last edited:
Always interview as early as you can. I never heard of interview quality changing based on when they were held.

Does anyone who has been accepted know where on the portal to check status? I interviewed recently and they said the decisions will be posted on there.

Also, did they email you with a decision as well?

Does anyone who has been accepted know where on the portal to check status? I interviewed recently and they said the decisions will be posted on there.

Also, did they email you with a decision as well?
When I interviewed, they said today is the day adcom will meet. The status will be posted online Wednesday. They said we should wait at least til midnight, when the day changes, to see a status update.

When I interviewed, they said today is the day adcom will meet. The status will be posted online Wednesday. They said we should wait at least til midnight, when the day changes, to see a status update.

Alright. I interviewed the 17th and I knew they had mentioned something about that. I couldn't remember what day they said they were meeting. There was just a lot on my mind that day.

Just talked to admissions. Decision for DO program should come out tomorrow