AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got accepted here, and I'm so excited about it. I really liked the school, and am so thankful for the acceptance. But I wonder how easy it is to get an acceptance here? I think I remember hearing that they interview something like 700 people, and give out acceptances to 2/3 of the people or something? Is that accurate? Anyone know what the stats are?

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Got accepted here, and I'm so excited about it. I really liked the school, and am so thankful for the acceptance. But I wonder how easy it is to get an acceptance here? I think I remember hearing that they interview something like 700 people, and give out acceptances to 2/3 of the people or something? Is that accurate? Anyone know what the stats are?

Not that it really matters post-acceptance, but the 2010/11 and 2009/10 threads have the stat listed somewhere. Just do a thread-specific search for the number "400" if I'm remembering correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)

When did you find out?

Accepted! !!!! Check your portals guys!!!
Interviewed last monday.
Good luck to those still waiting:luck:
I can def sympathize with you all cuz this is my 3rd time applying.
PM me for any info :cool:

I just heard back a few hours and was accepted!! AZCOM is my top choice out of the schools I have interviewed at, and I am very excited about attending!!! Has anyone on here who interviewed last Thursday been accepted?

Just got accepted! Interviewed on Friday 2/17. Logged into MWUnet and matriculation agreement and accepted student checklist now show up. Best of luck for those still waiting, don't give up hope.

I was wondering, how/when do we pick our rotations? Is it assigned to us? Where do we do this?

Congrats!! I interviewed Friday also, still hopeful. Azcom has become my top choice after I visited the campus

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone! I remember being accepted on a Wednesday as well so it's exciting to see it happen to the next generation as well. Hope to see some of you in Fall as I am moving back on campus for 4th year.

Any other acceptances? Wondering if I should stop checking portal for the night.

For all of you that are still waiting like me this post from last year's thread might help.

From all of the time I've lurked on the AZCOM threads and from my own experience, 1979's post is the closest to "how it works."

Think back to when you interviewed. What did each interviewer do the entire time you interviewed? Typed up notes on a laptop in front of them or jotted down something once in awhile. Why? They're "grading" you, in a sense. This gets thrown in with all of the other factors that got you the interview and is what the committee will in turn use to help decide who gets in and who doesn't. In the year or so I've spent learning the AZCOM ways of doing admissions via word-of-mouth, the only thing that really makes sense is that they typically immediately admit the top X number of applicants from each interview session because the committee can pretty much unanimously agree to admit them without any question. This would be your "fast-tracking." The rest of the applicants are still quality applicants mind you, just the fast-tracked ones, for whatever reason, looked better on paper or perhaps completely rocked their interviews compared to everyone else. Then, after those fast-tracked applicants are dealt with, the committee considers all of the other applicants from that interview session (and other applicants that they held over without a decision from previous meetings and the committee wanted to mull them over or compare them to more recent interviewees). Ultimately, they extend offers to a number of those applicants, wait-list others, and reject others.

If you want to kill several hours of time, just go back through the '08/'09, '09/'10, and even this thread and you will see the same story again and again. "I interviewed last week but people interviewing this week are already accepted and I've had no word. Does this mean I'm rejected?" A week later: "I just got accepted! Heck yes!" I say all of this because you will only be further stressing yourself out trying to "figure out the system" because you haven't gotten any word yet when the point of the matter is, you HAVE done everything within your power at this point to "plead" your case for AZCOM to admit you and as much as it sucks, all you can do is just wait it out and hope for the best. If your portal changes, great! I hope to see you in next year's class. If you're wait-listed, it's not the end of the world because TONS of people get accepted off of the wait-list (even classmates of mine that are doing exceptionally well came off of the dreaded WL) and you can still help your cause by keeping the school notified of new grades, test scores, research, etc. If you get rejected, hopefully somebody else has admitted or will admit you in this cycle, and if not, chin-up and try again next year.

To those of you that have been accepted, again, congratulations and enjoy the time you have between now and early August as much as possible. To those of you still waiting, I truly wish you the best and I know that the "hurry up and wait" game isn't an easy situation to be sitting in and that it's a lot easier for me, as a current student, to be saying all of this, just know that this time last year most of my classmates and colleagues across the country were in your shoes and look at where we're all at now.

Just got accepted! Interviewed on Friday 2/17. Logged into MWUnet and matriculation agreement and accepted student checklist now show up. Best of luck for those still waiting, don't give up hope.

I was wondering, how/when do we pick our rotations? Is it assigned to us? Where do we do this?

The options and what not will come in your acceptance packet they mail. Some people get impatient and just end up emailing [email protected] to request the form, he'll email it to them, they fill it out, and email it back.

Congrats to all of you who have been accepted! To those of you still waiting, like I repeatedly say: still plenty of hope, chin-up, just be patient, and good luck with any other interviews you still have ahead of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey current AZCOM students, I'd like to ask some questions about the school that was not answered in detail during my interview.
How is the typical day as a medical student like in AZCOM? Is it 8-5 lectures and lab work? Are there any free time in between? Is it the entire class (250) taking the same courses at the same time? How much time after class do you spend studying?
I'd like to get a feel of what the school life of AZCOM is like and would appreciate any input.

Hey current AZCOM students, I'd like to ask some questions about the school that was not answered in detail during my interview.
How is the typical day as a medical student like in AZCOM? Is it 8-5 lectures and lab work? Are there any free time in between? Is it the entire class (250) taking the same courses at the same time? How much time after class do you spend studying?
I'd like to get a feel of what the school life of AZCOM is like and would appreciate any input.

It all really depends on the student and the day.
If you're like me, you never go to class unless you're forced (read: labs/workshops and the rare class with mandatory attendance). As for what the days look like in regard to how long you're in class and if you have any breaks, it's best to just look at the schedules. http://www.midwestern.edu/glendale_az_campus/block_schedules.html

How much studying one does is incredibly student-dependent. I'd guess that most of my classmates are studying til 10:00/11:00pm most days when there isn't an exam the following day (with 1-3 hours off somewhere in the day for eating, exercise, tv, etc), regardless of if they went to class or not. Then there are the outliers who only have to study a few hours each day or who have to study til 1:00/2:00AM every night.

In summary: life is school, school is life.

It all really depends on the student and the day.
If you're like me, you never go to class unless you're forced (read: labs/workshops and the rare class with mandatory attendance). As for what the days look like in regard to how long you're in class and if you have any breaks, it's best to just look at the schedules. http://www.midwestern.edu/glendale_az_campus/block_schedules.html

How much studying one does is incredibly student-dependent. I'd guess that most of my classmates are studying til 10:00/11:00pm most days when there isn't an exam the following day (with 1-3 hours off somewhere in the day for eating, exercise, tv, etc), regardless of if they went to class or not. Then there are the outliers who only have to study a few hours each day or who have to study til 1:00/2:00AM every night.

In summary: life is school, school is life.
Thanks for the website. It was really helpful :)

Does AZCOM give typed out lecture notes to the students, or how does distribution of notes work? How do most people take notes (if you go to lecture)?. I am thinking about getting a new laptop before classes start. I really like OneNote and want to start digitally storing all my notes, but I kind of want to make the switch from a PC to a Mac, which doesn't have OneNote. Thoughts?

Does AZCOM give typed out lecture notes to the students, or how does distribution of notes work? How do most people take notes (if you go to lecture)?. I am thinking about getting a new laptop before classes start. I really like OneNote and want to start digitally storing all my notes, but I kind of want to make the switch from a PC to a Mac, which doesn't have OneNote. Thoughts?

They give typed out lecture notes but the lecturer obviously doesn't read word for word from the slides and so going to class can be helpful. One teacher that I know of does some fill in the blank type stuff but will post completed notes later on before the exam. I benefit a lot from going to class.

Get a Mac.

I believe every major course (unless biochem is still holding out) no longer distributes physical copies of notes during MS1, but they all distribute PDFs of lectures. During MS2, the ICM and pathology courses will distribute lecture notes physically and electronically. As far as taking notes in lecture, there's a good number of people who only do them electronically and a good number who still prefer physical copies. My experience with attending lecture differs from lftbndlbrnchblk's, though, as while many professors don't necessarily read their lectures to you verbatim, a significant number more-or-less do and most of the additional information the other professors include in lecture are mostly FYI or concept clarifications that are much more easily and quickly obtained through other sources. You ultimately just have to start out attending lecture and figure out if it will or won't work for you and do whatever will benefit you the most. Plenty of people attend some courses while skipping others, some only skip or attend lectures given by certain professors, etc.

Last edited:
any new acceptances? i think i might have got waitlisted..

o well got two new interviews last week and at least i wont have to pay a deposit

Last edited:
I'm planning on applying to AZCOM next cycle and really appreciate all that has been discussed so far. Thanks Random for your input and also thanks to the other Med Students as well. Congrats to everyone who has been accepted this cycle and good luck to those that still have upcoming interviews. :)

Has anyone gotten an II after being waitlisted pre-interview?:confused:

No one has even gotten in after being waitlisted post-interview at this point. :/

Just to let you guys know, there is no such thing as being waitlisted pre-interview. That's called being on "hold" for an interview. Waitlist is for those who already interviewed but the adcom decided to not accept them nor reject them. They will accept people from waitlist if not enough people who were accepted decide to matriculate.

No one has even gotten in after being waitlisted post-interview at this point. :/

Plenty of people have gotten off the waitlist for an acceptance. Also, I want to echo what was said above me and note there is only 1 waitlist and that is the traditional waitlist of applicants after they interview. The "on-hold" thing is an entirely different matter. It is also something I wish AZCOM no longer did because that is the #1 question these threads get every year and it gets really old answering the same questions :cool:

Sorry for not using the bestt term, but it was an honest question. No need to get all up in arms. If you have an answer, you should provide it, as this is what these forums are for. If you are not one of the people (if any) who have received an II after being "on hold" then don't answer. Simple as that. Why would you have to "get tired" of answering it over and over again?

Last edited:
Sorry for not using the bestt term, but it was an honest question. No need to get all up in arms. If you have an answer, you should provide it, as this is what these forums are for. If you are not one of the people (if any) who have received an II after being "on hold" then don't answer. Simple as that. Why would you have to "get tired" of answering it over and over again?

I hope I didn't come off as harsh. I don't think people as a whole will come off confused since people do say pre or post interview so in the end it doesn't really matter.

I do understand the nature of these forums and yes, I and especially Random have answered these exact same questions time and time again, sometimes just a page or two ago. I still find it fun to help out and post here regardless, but searching the terms "pre-interview hold" or any variant of it takes 10 seconds and can seek out the posts you are looking for and will highlight the text.

We'll help, but we aren't obligated to do anything, as noted by your second sentence. For the sake of the situation, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but this'll be the last time for me. You aren't the first to demand answers out of me and you probably won't be the last.

The pre-interview hold started back in about Sept/Oct and students were placed on there for several reasons, everything from region to MCAT. VCOM did this exact thing to me because I was from the west and they didn't think I was taking them seriously. In the end, calling them was all it took to get an interview invite.

The hold can last for months and often moved based on whether or not people cancel interviews or whatever update you give them. My general advice is to repeatedly call about once a week and ask about the update on your status. Call both general admissions and AZCOM admissions to talk.

From what I've seen, hold can go on until April and by then, just look elsewhere. Most people just ask about how to get off the pre-interview hold or what the odds are they can get off it and there is no real answer to this. Do what you can and hopefully share your experience here for all the others who are in your situation but do not post.

I just cancelled my interview for April 5th and withdrew my application. Hopefully this opens up a spot for someone still waiting. Good luck!

I hope I didn't come off as harsh. I don't think people as a whole will come off confused since people do say pre or post interview so in the end it doesn't really matter.

I do understand the nature of these forums and yes, I and especially Random have answered these exact same questions time and time again, sometimes just a page or two ago. I still find it fun to help out and post here regardless, but searching the terms "pre-interview hold" or any variant of it takes 10 seconds and can seek out the posts you are looking for and will highlight the text.

We'll help, but we aren't obligated to do anything, as noted by your second sentence. For the sake of the situation, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but this'll be the last time for me. You aren't the first to demand answers out of me and you probably won't be the last.

The pre-interview hold started back in about Sept/Oct and students were placed on there for several reasons, everything from region to MCAT. VCOM did this exact thing to me because I was from the west and they didn't think I was taking them seriously. In the end, calling them was all it took to get an interview invite.

The hold can last for months and often moved based on whether or not people cancel interviews or whatever update you give them. My general advice is to repeatedly call about once a week and ask about the update on your status. Call both general admissions and AZCOM admissions to talk.

From what I've seen, hold can go on until April and by then, just look elsewhere. Most people just ask about how to get off the pre-interview hold or what the odds are they can get off it and there is no real answer to this. Do what you can and hopefully share your experience here for all the others who are in your situation but do not post.

Just curious, don't you think once a week is too much? I am asking because I will begin to do this if necessary. Thanks!! (I really hope that this hasn't been addressed in recent discussion). :)

Just curious, don't you think once a week is too much? I am asking because I will begin to do this if necessary. Thanks!! (I really hope that this hasn't been addressed in recent discussion). :)

Well, it can be but it is the most effective in terms of getting your name out there. I forgot to add that alternating between general admissions and the AZCOM department will help with this too. That way it only looks like you're calling one department every other week.

Also, note that any additional materials can warrant extra calls. For example, if you send in a letter of intent, that's a total of 3 legit calls you can make: 1 for asking them their thoughts on it, 1 where you call early to see if they got it and 1 to see if they reviewed it/filed it, etc. If you can give yourself reasons to call, it will seem less neurotic.

But you're right; it's a careful line to walk. Adjust the frequency of calls if you sense it is necessary, but they do forget people. You need to stay on their minds if you want an invite to interview.

Hi everyone,

I'll be going to AZCOM this fall and am interested in finding a roommate, preferably a fellow female student... I was able to visit some apartments last weekend and am looking to share an apartment at San Lagos or possibly The Retreat.

If you are planning on going to AZCOM and are interested, please PM me!

Hi everyone,

I'll be going to AZCOM this fall and am interested in finding a roommate, preferably a fellow female student... I was able to visit some apartments last weekend and am looking to share an apartment at San Lagos or possibly The Retreat.

If you are planning on going to AZCOM and are interested, please PM me!

I recommend San Lagos due to proximity and general quality as I lived there for 1 year. I have no idea where The Retreat is.

I recommend San Lagos due to proximity and general quality as I lived there for 1 year. I have no idea where The Retreat is.

Thanks for the recommendation, FluShot. I'm a pretty big fan of San Lagos -- the rent for 1 bdr, not so much. :eyebrow:

Has anyone here been accepted to AZCOM this year with a low mcat?

OT: Ahhh I love Final Fantasy Tactics.. can spot that Lancer a mile away.

ok carry on.

Thanks for the recommendation, FluShot. I'm a pretty big fan of San Lagos -- the rent for 1 bdr, not so much. :eyebrow:

Yeah, the rent can be absurd without a roommate but you can try to apply to on campus housing next year and save money. Living for 1 year isn't too bad and you will be comfortable for sure.

OT: Ahhh I love Final Fantasy Tactics.. can spot that Lancer a mile away.

ok carry on.

Yeah, one of my favorite games. The PSP version improves its greatly. I don't have a DS so I haven't played the others.

I saw that you bumped the thread earlier but it really isn't necessary. The forum moves fairly slowly and people who wish to post here will find it eventually. I wouldn't worry about this thread being buried for long.

Does anyone know if they are going to keep looking at applicants for interviews? I really hate being on the "pre-interview" hold. Has anyone been taken off of it yet?

Does anyone know if they are going to keep looking at applicants for interviews? I really hate being on the "pre-interview" hold. Has anyone been taken off of it yet?

I'm sure they will, particularly if you've been keeping them updated with new numbers. No clue if they've started to dig into that list yet, though.

I'm on the same boat as you! I have contacted admissions a few times and they keep telling me that they are not going to look at the pre-interview holds until March.

I would also like to know if anyone has been interviewed after being put on pre-interview hold this cycle.

I'm on the same boat as you! I have contacted admissions a few times and they keep telling me that they are not going to look at the pre-interview holds until March.

I would also like to know if anyone has been interviewed after being put on pre-interview hold this cycle.

This is a tough time for everyone since many people have to start putting down serious deposits for their schools right around now. Once more people with multiple acceptances commit, you will see openings. Unfortunately, you will be at their mercy for the entire process. Just keep your name circulating with a call now and then, starting next week.

so get a load of this.. my interviewers didnt even ask me 'why osteopathy?' and i found out i was rejected because my interviewers didn't think i was truly interested in osteopathic medicine. LOL

i have been pursuing an osteopathic education for years, i have introduced osteopathic medicine to many, and ive also had more than a few debates w DO haters as well.

i literally started laughing when i heard 'my interest in osteopathy' was the reason for the rejection. straight rejection- no waitlist.

the situation is understandable and i dont blame the interviewers, i was the last person to interview for the cycle. literally. it was also the last day of the academic term and im sure they had other places to be, tests to give, and tests to take. i knew my interview was being rushed, it was rather apparent, but i just ran with it and i tried to keep my answers concise and to the point. i thought my interviewers would appreciate that...who knows

regarding the interview as a whole, i felt it went fairly well, definitely not poor enough for a straight rejection, i had them laughing and also got a few of those affirming nods after honest and insightful(if i may say so) answers.

it has been a little over 24 hrs since i found out and i have just finished writing a 3 page letter to the dean about my situation and what osteopathic medicine means to me. i will be emailing and fedexing the deans tomorrow. i will follow-up with a call next week.

perhaps the admissions committee thought i was applying DO as a backup which I AM NOT. i have a 32+ mcat and some research publications but so what? does that mean im applying DO as backup? i even shadowed a DO for 300 hours

i liked how AZCOM did things really fast - interview invite and status updates, etc.. but mayb they moved too fast and only read 'this applicant is not interested in osteopathic medicine' and threw out my app.

initially i was really impressed by azcom, really impressed. now.. i am not sure what to think. i am still hopeful this was a simple mistake that will be resolved.

i got 2 more interviews with DO schools in the next 2 weeks so im keeping my head up. i will be sure to FORCE THE ISSUE if im not asked why osteopathic medicine, just kidding. i am not that rude.

o yea i gotta give it up for Mike in admissions. He has helped me out a bunch and given me great advice. Friendly, approachable, professional and just seems like a real cool dude. :thumbup:

so get a load of this.. my interviewers didnt even ask me 'why osteopathy?' and i found out i was rejected because my interviewers didn't think i was truly interested in osteopathic medicine. LOL

i have been pursuing an osteopathic education for years, i have introduced osteopathic medicine to many, and ive also had more than a few debates w DO haters as well.

i literally started laughing when i heard 'my interest in osteopathy' was the reason for the rejection. straight rejection- no waitlist.

the situation is understandable and i dont blame the interviewers, i was the last person to interview for the cycle. literally. it was also the last day of the academic term and im sure they had other places to be, tests to give, and tests to take. i knew my interview was being rushed, it was rather apparent, but i just ran with it and i tried to keep my answers concise and to the point. i thought my interviewers would appreciate that...who knows

regarding the interview as a whole, i felt it went fairly well, definitely not poor enough for a straight rejection, i had them laughing and also got a few of those affirming nods after honest and insightful(if i may say so) answers.

it has been a little over 24 hrs since i found out and i have just finished writing a 3 page letter to the dean about my situation and what osteopathic medicine means to me. i will be emailing and fedexing the deans tomorrow. i will follow-up with a call next week.

perhaps the admissions committee thought i was applying DO as a backup which I AM NOT. i have a 32+ mcat and some research publications but so what? does that mean im applying DO as backup? i even shadowed a DO for 300 hours

i liked how AZCOM did things really fast - interview invite and status updates, etc.. but mayb they moved too fast and only read 'this applicant is not interested in osteopathic medicine' and threw out my app.

initially i was really impressed by azcom, really impressed. now.. i am not sure what to think. i am still hopeful this was a simple mistake that will be resolved.

i got 2 more interviews with DO schools in the next 2 weeks so im keeping my head up. i will be sure to FORCE THE ISSUE if im not asked why osteopathic medicine, just kidding. i am not that rude.

o yea i gotta give it up for Mike in admissions. He has helped me out a bunch and given me great advice. Friendly, approachable, professional and just seems like a real cool dude. :thumbup:
Pretty harsh by the school if they rejected you based on your seeming disinterest in osteopathy because you were not able to show your interest due to the interviewers not asking the question.
I feel for ya, cause I've seen my share of rejections over the past 3 years, and the most recent one a straight out rejection from a school I thought I could get in after my interview.
I doubt whether the admissions committee would reverse the action even if you follow up with lawsuit since they already decided to reject you instead of waitlist you, but keep us updated if things change.

Good luck my friend :luck:

Pretty harsh by the school if they rejected you based on your seeming disinterest in osteopathy because you were not able to show your interest due to the interviewers not asking the question.
I feel for ya, cause I've seen my share of rejections over the past 3 years, and the most recent one a straight out rejection from a school I thought I could get in after my interview.
I doubt whether the admissions committee would reverse the action even if you follow up with lawsuit since they already decided to reject you instead of waitlist you, but keep us updated if things change.

Good luck my friend :luck:

will definitely keep you guys updated. mike told me a letter to the dean would be my best bet so im hopeful.

not even considering a lawsuit but one can definitely reverse a decision... time for a story.

my mentor told me about this 40+ year old male premed she mentored. after this guy got rejected from his [now current] school for being too OLD lol yes the adcom actually stated that. he got so upset he said i am flying out there tomorrow to discuss this further. the admissions office called him back the next day to tell him he was accepted. guess why? discrimination based on age is illegal, and they didnt want a lawsuit. i actually met the old dude:D when he came back to visit her so i know this is true.

@randomusername and whoever else has given valuable information and would like to reply. I think a lot of us can thank you for letting us know what it's like on the inside at AZCOM, so thank you for feeding us with information.

AZCOM has great facilities and is in a nice and warm area of the country, which are both some things I like, however I am a little unsure of some of the other things. One, tuition. I realize that tuition is super expensive there, but do you feel like it goes as far as you might expect at another private medical school in the US? Two, education. I called the dean's office and she is sending me a copy of the most updated match list, but that information doesn't necessarily mean much for now since even the most recent students would have gone through the basic science years two years previous. What is your opinion of the quality of education in these basic science years? Do the teachers seem like they know their stuff? Three, happiness factor. Ha, I realize this is the most immeasurable factor, but how happy do your fellow students seem? Granted it is different for everyone, but are people generally happy? One other school I interviewed at really seemed to make an effort to make sure we are as happy as possible during medical school, but I didn't so much get that feeling at AZCOM. I realize this could have been the interview day though. Are students super stressed all the time or do most find time to take a breather during the day? Does the administration realize medical students are people too? And four, class size. This is definitely one of my main concerns. The class size seems huge! Add a couple handfulls of podiatry students and we could be going to class with almost 300 people. Do you think it would be beneficial to have the recorded lectures? That seems like a very standard thing for most medical schools. I am just worried about getting lost in the shuffle of trying to push 250+ people through medical school at a time. That brings up the issue of teacher accessibility. Honestly I don't know if this is a very necessary concern, but are the professors approachable and available when you need them?

Sorry for so many questions but thanks ahead of time for the replies!