AZCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
it was that week that was open. monday was the first day (nov. 28th) and friday works better for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Im interviewing on the 23rd of sept. Anyone going from Toronto? And are there any student host or is everyone staying at a nearby hotel?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
if you're in the area, do you have any recommendations on where to stay aside from the list that the school has out?

I'd just stay at the Drury Inn, it's super close and they do free airport shuttle and a free shuttle to the school. Right around campus there is nothing hotel wise that I have seen. And don't be worried about getting tied up in traffic from the Drury Inn, you're going the right direction so you don't get nailed by rush hour

I'm 1.5 weeks into MS1 now, had our first exam this past Monday. AZCOM is awesome, highly recommend it to all of you!

Edit: Deadman! You're Canadian?

I'd just stay at the Drury Inn, it's super close and they do free airport shuttle and a free shuttle to the school. Right around campus there is nothing hotel wise that I have seen. And don't be worried about getting tied up in traffic from the Drury Inn, you're going the right direction so you don't get nailed by rush hour

I'm 1.5 weeks into MS1 now, had our first exam this past Monday. AZCOM is awesome, highly recommend it to all of you!

Edit: Deadman! You're Canadian?

The shuttle is free? I definitely didn't know that.

Things may have changed, but last year when I interviewed it was free
looks like they're a bit pricier than other options. familiar with the area by the sports complex? i think i'm going to be spending an extra day there, so it'd be nice to have somewhere to wander..

looks like they're a bit pricier than other options. familiar with the area by the sports complex? i think i'm going to be spending an extra day there, so it'd be nice to have somewhere to wander..

Unfortunately I'm only familiar with the things I can see from the school so you'll have to ask someone else about nice areas to visit down here. Although there is a really nice shopping mall about 2 miles from the school - Arrowhead Town Center or something along those lines. They have a massive Forever21 (I'm assuming you're a girl at this juncture) as well as a Dillards, Nordstrom, Apple Store and a whole bunch others. Lake pleasant is about 30 minutes north of the school and offers some amazing scenery if you feel like going for a walk. Otherwise I'm useless, sorry.

On the off chance your a guy with the handle sunshine my apologies for insulting you with something as feminine as shopping ;). If you're looking for an adrenaline fueled, octane powered thrill ride of pure testosterone there is a Go Kart track about a mile away from the school :laugh:

Unfortunately I'm only familiar with the things I can see from the school so you'll have to ask someone else about nice areas to visit down here. Although there is a really nice shopping mall about 2 miles from the school - Arrowhead Town Center or something along those lines. They have a massive Forever21 (I'm assuming you're a girl at this juncture) as well as a Dillards, Nordstrom, Apple Store and a whole bunch others. Lake pleasant is about 30 minutes north of the school and offers some amazing scenery if you feel like going for a walk. Otherwise I'm useless, sorry.

On the off chance your a guy with the handle sunshine my apologies for insulting you with something as feminine as shopping ;). If you're looking for an adrenaline fueled, octane powered thrill ride of pure testosterone there is a Go Kart track about a mile away from the school :laugh:

perrrfect. and yes, i'm a girl. ;) i think the mall's just across the way from where i booked my hotel. so maybe i won't even bother getting a car for the trip. but go karts sound good too...

Hey guys do you know how big AZCOM is on getting a letter from a DO? Is it a make or break type of thing? I have an MD letter lined up but the DO I was shadowing a few months ago (before I got married/took MCAT) is not responding to my e-mails or calls at all, very frustrating. I have a 4.0 and 33 MCAT with EC's. Very interested in this school as I really want to stay in state - Arizona is awesome!!

I shadowed a DO 3 times and now I can't shadow this person anymore......

Now I have to find a new DO to shadow

Members don't see this ad :)
I only had an MD letter and I was fine. I know that stands for a couple of my classmates as well, so a DO letter isn't a make it or break it kind of deal

oh. my. goodness.

made a STUPID TYPO in the secondary for this school! AND SUBMITTED IT! :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

in one of the essays, in the rough draft i had incorporated three factors in my answer, but later narrowed it down to just two. my conclusion sentence read: will provide best of ALL THREE OF THESE factors..

and i didn't.change.that.

am i doomed? this school was at TOP of my list! :|

i don't know if I would say your are doomed. maybe the school will look at it as "well at least they tailored this to us." i wouldn't let it bother you too much. People make mistakes and this won't make you a bad doctor. i wouldn't stress too much about it.

i don't know if I would say your are doomed. maybe the school will look at it as "well at least they tailored this to us." i wouldn't let it bother you too much. People make mistakes and this won't make you a bad doctor. i wouldn't stress too much about it.

thank you:oops: i guess i have this application pending since a week, and today was the only day i have off from job, so was in a bit of rush to submit it before end of the day :oops: well, atleast this teaches me to proofread, proofread, AND proofread, before i submit. :xf:

thank you:oops: i guess i have this application pending since a week, and today was the only day i have off from job, so was in a bit of rush to submit it before end of the day :oops: well, atleast this teaches me to proofread, proofread, AND proofread, before i submit. :xf:

Most likely they'll be skimming over it anyway?

I've gotten interview invites from schools where I made typos in the secondary. They were dumb mistakes and I should have proofread more closely, but oops. We're not perfect, the adcoms don't expect that. Plus, I bet sometimes they don't catch the typos when they read our essays.

oh. my. goodness.

made a STUPID TYPO in the secondary for this school! AND SUBMITTED IT! :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

in one of the essays, in the rough draft i had incorporated three factors in my answer, but later narrowed it down to just two. my conclusion sentence read: will provide best of ALL THREE OF THESE factors..

and i didn't.change.that.

am i doomed? this school was at TOP of my list! :|

An admin once told me that essay readers spend an average of 45 seconds reading each essay, so it's very likely that they'll completely miss it. Anyway, it could be a lot worse...you could have put the wrong school's name in, lol

An admin once told me that essay readers spend an average of 45 seconds reading each essay, so it's very likely that they'll completely miss it. Anyway, it could be a lot worse...you could have put the wrong school's name in, lol

ohh no no, that's one thing i make sure i proofread, even if i can't proofread the whole essay - the school's name .. hehe. that's i guess one thing i've learned from reading the posts here - don't mess up their name :D

I heard a story on the interview trail last year of a girl who put the wrong name in the secondary for Tuoro CA (I think) and they invited her to an interview anyways but I think it was basically to shame her for her mistake. I guess they have group interviews so there are a bunch of people interviewing at the exact same time (one of the other interviewees that was there was telling the story). And it was something like the only question they asked the girl was "why should we accept you if you can't even get our school name right?"... LOL how embarrassing!

oh.wow. :eek:

Interview invite!!! Nov 29! Finally my first interview! Phew!!

AZCOM needs more love. Definitely a top choice for me! 10/17 can't get here any faster.

AZCOM needs more love. Definitely a top choice for me! 10/17 can't get here any faster.

It's one of my top choices as well. I'm set for 9/16. It's a great location too; Arizona is incredible.

3rd year here, checking in before I head to my rotation (half days are fantastic). If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM or post here. I'm also in the Tucson region for 3rd year so I probably won't be around campus but I'll try to give my two cents on what's going on.

I'd also like to hear back from any of the current 1st years who benefited from last year's thread. I hope this one is as good as the last one.

FluShot, I'm now an MS1 and last years thread was easily the single best resource I had. Such a huge thanks to you for being in there.

Also, to anyone in this thread, I'm ready to pay it forward. I only started 3 weeks ago so I'm not by any means an expert, but on the plus side I just finished the admissions process so it's fresh in my head.

And for any Canadians in this thread, I've done the visa thing too.

Hey guys was complete on august 18th, still waiting for invite. I have 3.8 sGPA and cGPA and great ECs plus publications, but.... a 22S mcat... do i stand a chance?

So my LORs were shipped to AZCOM via interfolio last Friday, and it still shows that they haven't received them. Does it normally take a week for them to download LORs to their system? I submitted CCOM the same day and they already gave me the "you are complete" email 2 days ago. Hmm... :confused:

yes for me AZCOM was slower at completing than CCOM.

So my LORs were shipped to AZCOM via interfolio last Friday, and it still shows that they haven't received them. Does it normally take a week for them to download LORs to their system? I submitted CCOM the same day and they already gave me the "you are complete" email 2 days ago. Hmm... :confused:

Last friday, so it's only been about 3 business days since they were sent? It should be fine. Mine took about a week and a half before the LOR's were listed as complete.

Last friday, so it's only been about 3 business days since they were sent? It should be fine. Mine took about a week and a half before the LOR's were listed as complete.

Ah ok, just wondering. I'm so paranoid about these things it's ridiculous, lol. Thanks for the quick reply. :thumbup:

Every day goes by so slow. I'm like CMON INTERVIEW INVITE at 5 schools, and then I realize I was only complete 4 days ago for them.

Really, only been 4 days? Swear it was a month ago.

Every day goes by so slow. I'm like CMON INTERVIEW INVITE at 5 schools, and then I realize I was only complete 4 days ago for them.

Really, only been 4 days? Swear it was a month ago.

Yeah... I understand patience is a virtue and all, but this is ridiculous!
It's like I no longer have any control of my fate until I get that interview invite. :boom:

I interviewed here last May and loved the program. I got on the alternate list, but didn't get a call. But I got my secondary application yesterday for this upcoming fall. :xf:

Any idea how long it takes to get a decision after you interview? I'm interviewing in about 2.5 weeks.

Pj meowerton (awesome name) my break down was 7 7 8

Any idea how long it takes to get a decision after you interview? I'm interviewing in about 2.5 weeks.

I interviewed first part of May and was accepted about a week later. It seems to be about an average of one to two weeks. Make sure you check your portal around that time, that's how I found out. It's kinda anti-climatic though... it just gives you a checklist of paper work you need to send in, like transcripts, etc. What?! No fireworks or flashing lights... Then a couple of weeks later, a packet arrives through snail mail that includes the official 'welcome' letter and information on how to choose your rotation sites.

Good Luck with your interview! Rehearse the answers to; "why a DO?" and "why AZCOM?". Come ready with questions to ask the interviewers. And remember to be yourself (ya, I know :rolleyes:).

Also, for this specific school, if you get an invite it means that the admissions committee likes what they see on paper, ie grades, MCAT, EC... so, don't worry or be self conscious about grades and all "jump through the hoops" stuff during your interview. The interviewers will read your CV and ask any specific questions about your education, etc based on what they read there.

I will interview on 10/17...I called to find out when we would know a decision, and they said we would know by 10/20 or 10/21. It looks like they meet once a month. So, I would think you would find out by the end of September.

I just had a thought... wouldn't it be awkward if you called and asked what their decision was, and they had to tell you that you were rejected? Ouch... talk about breaking bad news. :scared:

Though, I'm sure that won't happen to any of you guys!! :thumbup:

Was completed last thurs, no response as of yet though...loosing hope...got interview from nsu, but would have been awesome to get one from here as well....i guess I m just worried those last minute essays I wrote may not have been that good...aah, well...can't really do much but wait...good luck to those who did get interviews here though...:)

It's only been a week since you've been complete! Just give it some time.. They probably have 100s of applications to go through before yours even pops up!

Stay the course man!

on "hold" for an interview... any chance i'll eventually get one? :(

Hello! I'm a long-time lurker, but this is my first post.

I scheduled an interview with AZCOM for 9/22 and an interview with SOMA for 9/23. Does anyone in the area have a couch they would be willing to let me sleep on? Or, even a 6 foot piece of floor? I could reimburse any takers with dinner or a bottle of wine, whatever you prefer... Haven't really tried this before, so I'm not familiar with the etiquette...sorry.

I basically broke my bank flying from Alaska, so anyone willing to help me out is greatly appreciated (read: you would be a saint). At the very least, if anyone knows of hotels conveniently located close to the two schools, please let me know. PM me if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks!

I interviewed on May 9th and knew by May 10th that I was on the alternate list. It really all depends on when you interview and how many others are interviewing and if the admissions committee is meeting immediately following. I think.

They were really friendly: told us when they were meeting and said we could call/email and inquire after a certain date if we were very anxious to know their decision.

complete yesterday, 8/25. Interview invite today!!!!!!!! wooooooooo!!!!!

complete yesterday, 8/25. Interview invite today!!!!!!!! wooooooooo!!!!!

Whoa fast turn around!! Do you have super-stats??

I'm hoping to get an email soon (I was complete today). Do DO schools send invites on Saturdays?? This process is making me hate the weekends so much, haha.