Bcps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngmc11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you to study for BCPS? How did you approach it? Any advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Ofcourse Bps released the score in the past but not anymore as castle has exclusive rights now as they have the access to the students data and also scores, you can read in the disclaimer it mentioned
But Castle does not decide what the passing score is and what percentage passes. BPS does that. so BPS make that decision then release the scores. Castle wouldn't have any idea how to decide what the passing score is. They just score the exam. so please call BPS and ask them when the emails will be sent out.

This year the minimum passing score for all the tests is 500. Individual scores will be adjusted instead of changing the passing cutoff. Castle will probably send the the email to the same account used to register. In theory, that could speed up the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
This year the minimum passing score for all the tests is 500. Individual scores will be adjusted instead of changing the passing cutoff. Castle will probably send the the email to the same account used to register. In theory, that could speed up the process.
What the heck are you talking about ? we have no idea what you mean by 500. what is that 50% ? and what the heck does it mean by individual scores will be adjusted ?? adjusted how ? that is really good way to open BPS up for a lawsuit right there.

Nobody here knows what you are talking about. was this ever mentioned in any other post ?

What the heck are you talking about ? we have no idea what you mean by 500. what is that 50% ? and what the heck does it mean by individual scores will be adjusted ?? adjusted how ? that is really good way to open BPS up for a lawsuit right there.

Nobody here knows what you are talking about. was this ever mentioned in any other post ?

This scoring information is directly from the BPS website.

I contacted Castle yesterday and this is their reply;

Dear Candidate,
Candidates will receive their score reports electronically approximately 60 days following the close of the scheduled test administration windows.

Yeah, they changed the scoring method this year, it's on the bps site. Just wait patiently for the score.

What does that mean for people who took the test ? does that mean more percentage would pass, less or about the same percentage as pervious years ?

and "This year the minimum passing score for all the tests is 500. Individual scores will be adjusted instead of changing the passing cutoff" this statement really doesn't make any sense to me. Can somebody explain what this means in English ? Thanks

What does that mean for people who took the test ? does that mean more percentage would pass, less or about the same percentage as pervious years ?

and "This year the minimum passing score for all the tests is 500. Individual scores will be adjusted instead of changing the passing cutoff" this statement really doesn't make any sense to me. Can somebody explain what this means in English ? Thanks

The BPS website says: "Scoring for all candidates takes place after the test administration window closes. Scores are computed based on the correct responses recorded by candidates. It is to the candidate's advantage to answer every question on the examination. There is no penalty in the scoring formula for guessing. The individual score report will indicate whether the candidate passed or failed the examination. Scores will range from a minimum of 200 to a maximum of 800. The minimum passing score on BPS examinations is 500. Pass/fail decisions are based on the total score indicated on the score report, not on performance in the domains."

Basically they'll curve the grades not the cutoff. Like a regular test where passing is 70%, if everyone failed the grades are raised to get you above 70%. Before if they decided a question was bad they just dropped the passing cutoff by one. Now I think they'll just give you credit it for it. And, they can move everyone's grades up or down the scale based on the stats from the whole pool of grades. This is the first step toward offering the test more often and possibly being open all the time. This will make the test a better measurement tool. It's a lot like the SAT.

I contacted Castle yesterday and this is their reply;

Dear Candidate,
Candidates will receive their score reports electronically approximately 60 days following the close of the scheduled test administration windows.

Scores are coming this week or next week. I spoke to Castle yesterday. It sounded to me like they have the scores already ready to go, they are just awaiting BPS to tell them to send it out. She said, "We are just waiting for everyone's approval."

Scores are coming this week or next week. I spoke to Castle yesterday. It sounded to me like they have the scores already ready to go, they are just awaiting BPS to tell them to send it out. She said, "We are just waiting for everyone's approval."
will this email have information about pass or not ? what good is the score by itself without that information.

It will probably say whether you passed or not, just like the letters that came in the past. But, like I said, the passing score is 500. If your score in the email is greather than or equal to 500, you passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
It will probably say whether you passed or not, just like the letters that came in the past. But, like I said, the passing score is 500. If your score in the email is greather than or equal to 500, you passed.
You guys think percentage that pass would be about the same this year or way different since they used the new system ?

BPS reply:

The 2013 exam results will be emailed to you within the next couple of weeks, so please be on the lookout for them. In the meantime, let me know if you need anything else!

Aren't we 2.5 weeks away from the first week of Dec. A couple of weeks to me means at least 2 or more, so first week of December looks about right.
What happened to all that talk about sometime this week ? what or where did that go ? I don't know who to believe anymore.

What happened to all that talk about sometime this week ? what or where did that go ? I don't know who to believe anymore.

Until we know other wise, all we know is that we get thw scores the first week of December, only because that was the case last year and it says on the website 60 days after the test window closes. Next years test takers will know if scores are coming out earlier due to the change in format. Otherwise, still December.

I don't know what BPS says but I told u guys what Castle told me, so it's upto u who to believe

Good luck to all of you anyway but make sure check ur emails daily and not wait till dec for result as some of them are planning to do, remember there will be an email not letter in mail box

so that email from this am got me worked up for nothing ? it saids we are getting the results this week. so I got all the women lined up for celebration. that person should apologize

so that email from this am got me worked up for nothing ? it saids we are getting the results this week. so I got all the women lined up for celebration. that person should apologize

It's possible for them to come out this week, we just don't know for sure until it does, it's a new process.

It's possible for them to come out this week, we just don't know for sure until it does, it's a new process.

I know we are so concerned about the results. but I just watched the show called Time of Death on showtime and realized just how trivial our concerns really are.

I know we are so concerned about the results. but I just watched the show called Time of Death on showtime and realized just how trivial our concerns really are.
Relax and smoke it up until they arrive. There are so few of us on this thread this year. I hope we all passed

"Scores will range from a minimum of 200 to a maximum of 800. The minimum passing score on BPS examinations is 500."

Based on that statement and that there were a total of 200 questions, every wrong answer is worth 1 point and every correct answer is worth 4 points. We can figure out the number of questions you would need to answer correctly with the following equation.

4x+y = 500 (passing score)
x+y= 200 (# of questions)

x = right answers
y = wrong answers

Therefore, we find that you need to have answered 100 questions (50%) correctly in order to have obtained a passing score of 500. This does not take into account any score adjustments (ie curve).

Good luck to everyone!

I assumed the 200 point minimum is because the questions are worth 4 points each and by chance you could get 25% (50 questions) right since there are 4 answer choices.

Waiting patiently as well here, though maybe was more anxious last year. By my calculations 62.5% still the passing score. Last year was as well... They are just adding a bigger scale to it I guess... not sure for what purpose. I'm guessing we'll know on 60 days from when the closing window of test dates. So December 3-5? Either way. Good luck. I hate the wait. Seems like it is to solely make one more nervous and simultaneously offer some sort specialness to the whole process.

Wish it was December but will be soon enough.

@kdr2002: A minimum would be the lowest score possible, which would mean that you got every answer wrong. A minimum is not getting 25% of something correct.

I suppose I'm assuming that wrong answers are worth point as well. If you consider the scenario where you begin with 200 points, wrong answers are worth 0 and right answers are worth 3 points, you would still require 100 correct answers to have a score of 500.

If it is a combination of beginning with a set number of points and wrong answers worth some points, you would still require only 100 correct answers to get a score of 500. An example would be that you start with 100 points, wrong answers are 0.5 points and right answers are 3.5 points.

These scenarios incorporate a minimum of 200 and maximum of 800 without score adjustments. You can certainly feel free to do the math out.

Anyways, my analysis is purely based off of what they had on their website. They could be doing something completely different behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Its confirmed the email will be from castle but now they have changed their statement It's crazy, castle don't know what they are saying they are puppets in BPS hands, they have results but BPS not letting them released what the heck.....

Its confirmed the email will be from castle but now they have changed their statement It's crazy, castle don't know what they are saying they are puppets in BPS hands, they have results but BPS not letting them released what the heck.....
I thought they had to adjust the scores individually or something. and that takes time. I have no idea what that meant. sounds really fishy to me. but I know that takes additional time to do.

Well, I really believe that results will be out early December as it is mentioned clearly in the guide. In addition, BPS and Castle stated that they will send them within the next couple of weeks from now. I think Castle already sent the results to BPS to review it and do some stat and agree about the passing percentage. After all, they will let Castle release them.

Whats the point of documenting that clearly in the guide and start hoping that will get them earlier ?

Good Luck !!

Well, I really believe that results will be out early December as it is mentioned clearly in the guide. In addition, BPS and Castle stated that they will send them within the next couple of weeks from now. I think Castle already sent the results to BPS to review it and do some stat and agree about the passing percentage. After all, they will let Castle release them.

Whats the point of documenting that clearly in the guide and start hoping that will get them earlier ?

Good Luck !!

Unless you guys know for sure the score will be out tomorrow, please stop putting us on. That is just rude. I personally have no idea when the scores will be out. I just know it will be before 1st week of December. Unless you have statement from BPS that it will be out tomorrow or next week, it is not happening.

Unless you guys know for sure the score will be out tomorrow, please stop putting us on. That is just rude. I personally have no idea when the scores will be out. I just know it will be before 1st week of December. Unless you have statement from BPS that it will be out tomorrow or next week, it is not happening.

Like I said in a previous post, I have seen an email with a member on BPS saying their target date for score emails was the second week of November, and if a delay occurred it would be the 3rd week of November. When I spoke with Castle they said this week or next week, which would be in line with the email from BPS member over a month ago.

Feel free to believe whatever you would like, but I am going with this week or next week.

You would expect they would come sooner since the exam and the score notifications are electronic. Just cutting out shipping the paper tests, scanning the answer sheets and mailing reports should save several days. I think the letters last year were posted marked during the 4th week of Novmember. Next week should be doable.

BPS just updated their webpage to announce that the exams will now be offered in the spring and fall.

BPS just updated their webpage to announce that the exams will now be offered in the spring and fall.

To me this means they have validated the scoring mechanism through Castle. That means scores are finalized? Otherwise they wouldn't have committed to offering multiple tests per year.

As someone that's already had one certification and going for my 2nd, these certifications are becoming less special and way more common, now that it's offered twice a week and computerized it's opening up the flood gates. The computer test also increases cheating because you know people are telling their buddies what they saw on the test since there are different test dates now.

More people certified, more annual fees, more buying the CEs.

As someone that's already had one certification and going for my 2nd, these certifications are becoming less special and way more common, now that it's offered twice a week and computerized it's opening up the flood gates. The computer test also increases cheating because you know people are telling their buddies what they saw on the test since there are different test dates now.

This, on all accounts.

I had known this fact for several years now. I wish there was some legitimacy to this exam. Residency is legitimate. but Exam like this can become just a cash cow for the organization. We should and have to add Verbal component to the exam like Physicians have to go thru. I will make some suggestions to the board once I pass the exam. but there are several changes that can be made to bring legitimacy to this exam. We owe it to our profession to do this. Anyone else want to add their ideas, please do so. Thank you

I had known this fact for several years now. I wish there was some legitimacy to this exam. Residency is legitimate. but Exam like this can become just a cash cow for the organization. We should and have to add Verbal component to the exam like Physicians have to go thru. I will make some suggestions to the board once I pass the exam. but there are several changes that can be made to bring legitimacy to this exam. We owe it to our profession to do this. Anyone else want to add their ideas, please do so. Thank you

Like someone already said it's a cash cow. We can make suggestions, but I don't know what it will do in the end. I see this like the way schools portray residencies. Will you get something from it? Sure, but it's it necessary? No. Problem is, with so many new grads coming out and less jobs it becomes almost essential to have to do both. Residency programs pay essentially half or less of full salary. They benefit. Then bps charges you $600 plus upkeep. That's a lot of lost opportunity cost based on how things were just a few years ago when these things meant a lot. I dunno, I'm one of old school thinking. So what happens when everyone is required to get board certified? Another test or money making hurdle?