Bcps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ngmc11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long did it take you to study for BCPS? How did you approach it? Any advice?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Like someone already said it's a cash cow. We can make suggestions, but I don't know what it will do in the end. I see this like the way schools portray residencies. Will you get something from it? Sure, but it's it necessary? No. Problem is, with so many new grads coming out and less jobs it becomes almost essential to have to do both. Residency programs pay essentially half or less of full salary. They benefit. Then bps charges you $600 plus upkeep. That's a lot of lost opportunity cost based on how things were just a few years ago when these things meant a lot. I dunno, I'm one of old school thinking. So what happens when everyone is required to get board certified? Another test or money making hurdle?
Residencies are different. I have done one and I know. This is well worth the sacrifice in money that you make for that year. You learn invaluable skills in patient assessment and making therapeutic plan + research skills, project skills like clinical research with publications. presentation skills. so residency is legitimate experience that you can take for your career.

It's definitely a cash cow.
I have one other explanation for them changing the exam to twice a year. Cash is one reason. but I think they also want to avoid lawsuits. They know and we know this is not a perfect exam, it has flaws and problems. so this opens them up to lawsuits. However, if they offer this twice a year then it is less likely that people will sue. since it costs thousands of dollars to hire a lawyer and initiate a lawsuit, people will more likely just take the exam again since there is another one in just 4-5 month time. and it takes that long to bring a lawsuit as well. What do you guys think ?

No exam is perfect. Not sure why anyone would sue.

You could question the the purpose of BCPS and does the exam accurately measure that. I think the purpose of BCPS is getting less clear as more people take it. Everyone's experience and training is different so they may not meet the standard set by BPS. But, if it's "too easy" then it's certainly meaningless. It's not supposed to take the place of the Naplex.

BPS wants to expand board certifications. Their goal is 30,000 board certified pharmacists by 2017. Offering new exams in cardiology, pedi, ID, and ICU is a perfect example. Two tests per year speeds up the process. Here is the BPS statement about their goals: http://www.bpsweb.org/pdfs/BPS_whitepaper_2013_final.pdf

But, what effect will this have on practice, hiring, and salaries? Will this raise standards or get watered down? BCPS is already losing its luster as more people get it and the other specialty exams come. If Congress ever recognizes pharmacists as providers, board certification may be a requirement. As the new pharmacy schools continue to churn out more grads than needed, these tests, like residency, are ways to show you are competent and perhaps more qualified compared to someone else. Of course, someone can be a good pharmacist without board certification or residency but they're hard to compare on paper. Bad residents exist too. Formal credentialing helps validate skills.

If the goal is to be like physicians, then everyone will be expected to board certified in something and maybe two things. Working in a sub-specialty may require a second certification. That BPS statement talks about primary and secondary certifications. BCPS is a kind of like internal medicine. They describe BCPS as being an "advanced generalist." The future may be that every hospital pharmacist will be BCPS. Decentralized or "clinical" pharmacists may be required to have the board certification in that specialty +/- BCPS.

Members don't see this ad :)
10.1331_JAPhA.2010.10510-fig2.png

No exam is perfect. Not sure why anyone would sue.

You could question the the purpose of BCPS and does the exam accurately measure that. I think the purpose of BCPS is getting less clear as more people take it. Everyone's experience and training is different so they may not meet the standard set by BPS. But, if it's "too easy" then it's certainly meaningless. It's not supposed to take the place of the Naplex.

BPS wants to expand board certifications. Their goal is 30,000 board certified pharmacists by 2017. Offering new exams in cardiology, pedi, ID, and ICU is a perfect example. Two tests per year speeds up the process. Here is the BPS statement about their goals: http://www.bpsweb.org/pdfs/BPS_whitepaper_2013_final.pdf

But, what effect will this have on practice, hiring, and salaries? Will this raise standards or get watered down? BCPS is already losing its luster as more people get it and the other specialty exams come. If Congress ever recognizes pharmacists as providers, board certification may be a requirement. As the new pharmacy schools continue to churn out more grads than needed, these tests, like residency, are ways to show you are competent and perhaps more qualified compared to someone else. Of course, someone can be a good pharmacist without board certification or residency but they're hard to compare on paper. Bad residents exist too. Formal credentialing helps validate skills.

If the goal is to be like physicians, then everyone will be expected to board certified in something and maybe two things. Working in a sub-specialty may require a second certification. That BPS statement talks about primary and secondary certifications. BCPS is a kind of like internal medicine. They describe BCPS as being an "advanced generalist." The future may be that every hospital pharmacist will be BCPS. Decentralized or "clinical" pharmacists may be required to have the board certification in that specialty +/- BCPS.
I know no exam is perfect. but if a candidate is wrongly handicapped or hindered then I would sue. If there is just reason, you should sue and get justice and fair treatment. That is what makes this country the greatest country in the world.

I have one other explanation for them changing the exam to twice a year. Cash is one reason. but I think they also want to avoid lawsuits. They know and we know this is not a perfect exam, it has flaws and problems. so this opens them up to lawsuits. However, if they offer this twice a year then it is less likely that people will sue. since it costs thousands of dollars to hire a lawyer and initiate a lawsuit, people will more likely just take the exam again since there is another one in just 4-5 month time. and it takes that long to bring a lawsuit as well. What do you guys think ?

Nobody is going to sue...haha... there's no damages and no lawyer would take the case, you want to spend thousands on a lawyer over a lame test that you can pass next time....lawyers don't take cases probono for lame crap like this. Sue because you didn't pass, did you sue the SAT people after high school. ..lol... They are offerring the test twice a year now because they can. The computerized exam makes it now possible, simple. I do believe there's no incentive not to pass everyone because of the money.

I know no exam is perfect. but if a candidate is wrongly handicapped or hindered then I would sue. If there is just reason, you should sue and get justice and fair treatment. That is what makes this country the greatest country in the world.

What also makes it great is that without damages, you have no case. There's things to sue about in life, discrimination, somebody damages your property....etc.... bps because you feel they wronged you because you were too dumb not to pass when everybody else did or your computer went bonkers and you don't have the strength to just push on. That's life, pop a xanex and just be grateful you don't have cancer. ..lol...:p

No one is going to sue BPS over a $600 test. Maybe I can see it in a small claims court...judge Judy perhaps?

No one is going to sue BPS over a $600 test. Maybe I can see it in a small claims court...judge Judy perhaps?

I agree go on judge Judy but not that other lame one judge Alex. "Judge Judy I didn't pass because the test was unfair" "You should of studied harder *******, case dismissed"
You get to be on TV and they pay you to show up, win, win for you.

What also makes it great is that without damages, you have no case. There's things to sue about in life, discrimination, somebody damages your property....etc.... bps because you feel they wronged you because you were too dumb not to pass when everybody else did or your computer went bonkers and you don't have the strength to just push on. That's life, pop a xanex and just be grateful you don't have cancer. ..lol...:p
Newflash. you may not but many people would. I already had 2 people PM me saying that they are thinking about suing because they had such hard time with the computer freezing if they don't pass the test.

Newflash. you may not but many people would. I already had 2 people PM me saying that they are thinking about suing because they had such hard time with the computer freezing if they don't pass the test.
The word "sue" is a harsh term IMO. Anyway, its not financially worth it. These people can always challenge BPS and perhaps get another test date. In reality, people say they are going to sue for some event, but it rarely happens. What would people win if they sued? $600? Whats the point?

Let's be fair, the computer freezing didn't affect how much you knew. Regardless of technical problems, you don't all of a sudden know the answer or forget an answer because of a computer glitch. Calm down with the suing mentality and take a introspective look at your knowledge and ability to persevere. Realistically, this is a fairly easy test, as evidenced by me passing last year,...haha... and you passed this year and you're just freaking out. This year people had computer problems, last year with the paper test, you had the grind of having to sit there at the test center for 7-8 hours while they checked everyone in, verified iDs, etc, while this year, you could just skip your break and be out in 3 hours, like I did for the bcacp. But you don't see people whining about lawsuits, you just suck it up and try again.... and how nice that you don't have to wait a whole year anymore... bps is so nice. ..:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
When is the results ??? Its a computerized test, why does it take that long ? even if they analyze and do curving and other stuff... too much

The wait is ridiculus for a computer based exam. I'm sure they will drop the bomb when we least expect it.

The wait is ridiculus for a computer based exam. I'm sure they will drop the bomb when we least expect it.

They promised 60 days, regardless of computer or not, you can go ape crap on them after the first week of December. ..:p relax, technically, you're not allowed to use the bcps designation until dec, 31st of the year even if you pass...;)

They promised 60 days, regardless of computer or not, you can go ape crap on them after the first week of December. ..:p relax, technically, you're not allowed to use the bcps designation until dec, 31st of the year even if you pass...;)
I don't mind waiting. I was just making the point that I don't think it should take 60 days. The scoring is no longer hand graded nor are we using snail mail.

I don't mind waiting. I was just making the point that I don't think it should take 60 days. The scoring is no longer hand graded nor are we using snail mail.

Why the hell does it take more than 30 seconds to put 30 pills in a bottle and slap on a label. And now that prescriptions are electronic shouldn't it take less time. ....lol.....:D.... Step away from the counter, stop distracting the tech and go to the As seen on TV isle and check out the Slap Chop.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...71xB8ujMlZ0FdlGnw&sig2=x9a7R-9b7chEpgnW5gQFvg

Ain-t-Nobody-Got-Time-Fo-Dat-sweet-brown-31241125-480-330.jpg

Last edited:
Still waiting : if the score ranges from 200 to 800, do u get points for answering a question even if answer is

wrong?

So I guess if you complete your name with identification information, it is an automatic 200 points. ;)

It's like the SATs, you start at 200 and go from there, so if you miss every question you get a 200, which when not on the adjusted scale would be zero points.

Stop playing.This is crazy!!! I keep checking my phone every time it beeps. Now u know I have a queue full of orders to be verified .

I searched SDN for the BCPS history threads from past years.

I will note that in the past the results were mailed. It seems like, in the past, they mailed them early/mid week in order to have them delivered near the end of the week.

We do know that the results will be emailed to us this year.

The below are the dates of the 1st "I passed" results day posts.

Fri, Nov 26 2010 (Thanksgiving fell on Nov 25)
Fri, Nov 25 2011 (Thanksgiving fell on Nov 24)
Thurs, Nov 29 2012 (Thanksgiving fell on Nov 22)

In the past three years, the BCPS results have not been received before Thanksgiving.

Pursuant to these facts, my best guess is that the results will be emailed to us on:
Friday, Nov 29nd

I received mine last year around December 4th. Can't imagine anything earlier. Not sure why 60 days is so hard to count from the last test date to figure it out? Yes, it is computerized. The wait is long, but it plainly stated on my sheet after the test 60 days. Enjoy your turkey!

Scores are out. Go to castles website and create an account. You will need your code that was given to you when you signed up for the exam. Once you have done that the score is there

Scores are out. Go to castles website and create an account. You will need your code that was given to you when you signed up for the exam. Once you have done that the score is there

Thanks for letting everyone know!

This has been confirmed.

Castle Worldwide instructions for accessing the online score portal: https://castleworldwide.com/cww/ima...e_Castle_Score_Report_Portal_November2013.pdf

Here's the breakdown for BCOP:
Score range: 200-800
Passing score: 500

Your total score is a scaled score that is based on the questions you answered correctly.
No averages or other stats or domain-based score breakdown was reported this year (unlike in previous years).

And the good news is I passed. Time to enjoy Thanksgiving whew. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for letting everyone know!

This has been confirmed.

Castle Worldwide instructions for accessing the online score portal: https://castleworldwide.com/cww/ima...e_Castle_Score_Report_Portal_November2013.pdf

Here's the breakdown for BCOP:
Score range: 200-800
Passing score: 500

Your total score is a scaled score that is based on the questions you answered correctly.
No averages or other stats or domain-based score breakdown was reported this year (unlike in previous years).

And the good news is I passed. Time to enjoy Thanksgiving whew. Good luck to everyone!
I too passed. GL to everyone

You are awesome!!! I passed BCOP. Told two friends about accessing the scores and they passed BCPS.

Now says on main page of Castle Score Report Portal scores to be released on 25th and 26th.

May the whine fest commence... I think those of you that missed seeing the score get together and sue... class action... how is it fair that some get to see their score today while you have to wait until monday or tuesday. .. is this not America... where are you Larry H. Parker. ...:eek: