Boston Med TV Show (ABC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm currently watching the show. The group of murses sitting around bashing residents is horrifying.

It continually amazes me how little some nurses buy into the model of the teaching hospital. They view residents as a nuisance, and would rather mock them than help them along.

I don't think it's horrifying. They're blowing off steam on vacation with their colleagues. As if residents never bitch and moan about the "stupid nurses" they have to work with, etc? Everyone does it, no matter what profession/field they're in!

Believe it or not :rolleyes:, residents can behave like pricks towards staff they think are "beneath" them, whether they mean to or not is a different story.

I know I've done it as part of ancillary hospital staff. I don't care how stressed you are, there's no excuse, imho, to insult somebody to that degree ("You're just a nurse"). Being a resident doesn't give you carte blanche to behave like a jerk, sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

holyy ****. i kept wondering what was the "big" thing that happened her first year that made her want to quit
Lol, no. The $26mill case was with two other random doctors (not on the show, and not residents). The "big" thing that happened to her the first year was having one of her patients die a little while after giving birth, something which (according to that resident), most obstetricians never have to see.

Last edited:
Rachel Clark the obgyn= smoking southern hottie

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, no. The $26mill case was with two other random doctors (not on the show, and not residents). The "big" thing that happened to her the first year was having one of her patients die a little while after giving birth, something which (according to that resident), is something most obstetricians never have to see.

hah problem with cooking and watching tv at the same time. you miss things. thanks. what was the 26 mill case?

I don't think it's horrifying. They're blowing off steam on vacation with their colleagues. As if residents never bitch and moan about the "stupid nurses" they have to work with, etc?

Believe it or not :rolleyes:, residents can behave like pricks towards staff they think are "beneath" them, whether they mean to or not is a different story.

I know I've done it as part of ancillary hospital staff. I don't care how stressed you are, there's no excuse, imho, to insult somebody to that degree ("You're just a nurse"). Being a resident doesn't give you carte blanche to behave like a jerk, sorry.

:thumbup: for a reasonable response. If you're going to have a teaching hospital, the residents have to be humble enough to be taught. The nurses were only asking for a bit of respect.

Overall, I think that was my least favorite episode of the season. I wasn't very interested in anyone on the screen. Rachel was pretty sexy though.

I felt bad for the Cardiologist whose patient died.

Hopefully we'll get to see some more of Bardouche and Reish. They are a few of the personalities that actually work for making good t.v. Dibar, the Indian guy, and the Neurosurgeon are good too.

I'm not excusing bad behavior on the part of residents or nurses.

But as a new housestaff I have already had enough bad run-ins with nurses who treat interns like dirt to be fed up. Seeing nurses take pride in that sort of behavior on national TV just hit the wrong button tonight.

I'm not excusing bad behavior on the part of residents or nurses.

But as a new housestaff I have already had enough bad run-ins with nurses who treat interns like dirt to be fed up. Seeing nurses take pride in that sort of behavior on national TV just hit the wrong button tonight.

And I'm just saying it's a 2 way street. The same way you're bad mouthing nurses based on your bad experiences with certain individuals, we have the same problems. I'm not a nurse, but I've been a unit clerk for 4 years, and I know where they're coming from.

I really sympathized with that cardiologist's case, too. After everyone getting their hopes up when the patient got on the transplant list, and then to lose him like that-- this is why more people need to be organ donors.

I wouldn't mind not seeing more of Bardouche and Reish. I wish Dr. Curry/neurosurgery had a bigger role in the series though. Although I'm glad they're branching out and not focusing so much on surgery like they were in the beginning.

I really sympathized with that cardiologist's case, too. After everyone getting their hopes up when the patient got on the transplant list, and then to lose him like that-- this is why more people need to be organ donors.

I wouldn't mind not seeing more of Bardouche and Reish. I wish Dr. Curry/neurosurgery had a bigger role in the series though. Although I'm glad they're branching out and not focusing so much on surgery like they were in the beginning.

:thumbup:

this show is starting to get really boring, It couldn't even keep my attention, I kept switching channels from Sportscenter

I really liked Kimberly Parks.

:thumbup: to more Bardouche & Reish lol

They're Bizarro Dumb and Dumber. Quite entertaining to watch ;b

Some makeup is fine. I think what most guys, or at least myself, don't like is when women wear so much makeup that they look drastically different without it. I have seen many women that wear so much foundation that their face is a different color than their neck. I want to be able to touch the face without having powder all over it after.

Well, that's understandable. That much make up is a problem. Funny, I don't wear too much, but I hate when people touch my face. Too much hand+face contact=breakouts, but that's just me.

I don't do any of those three things, just so you know. Don't need to. :cool:

You don't shave :eyebrow:? Your girlfriend must consider you a funny guy with all that tickling, ikwim.

Tonight's show wasn't very interesting, but I did cry when that guy started crashing as his family were told to prepare for the worst just across the hall. His wife freaking whispered, "I'll love you forever." I couldn't write that. I think it's worth noting that the cardiologist is a DO (according to the site); for all you DO haters ;). This episode was a little too SATC for me. They only highlighted that one OB resident's love life to share that she was in a same sex relationship (and this is 2010?). One that was hard to maintain as a resident, duh. And Rachel needs to break up with her SO, because it's not really fair to lead someone on like that. In other words, she'll probably go as far as cheating to get her message across... she's "not the marrying kind."

I don't think it's horrifying. They're blowing off steam on vacation with their colleagues. As if residents never bitch and moan about the "stupid nurses" they have to work with, etc? Everyone does it, no matter what profession/field they're in!

:thumbup: At some teaching hospitals, nurses do a lot of the informal teaching and can be residents biggest supporters/fountains of knowledge or so I've heard from a nurse relative. I would listen to them, they've seen it all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the deal with that needle stick? I mean, I guess I know it happens and all, but what is the likelihood of contracting anything from that?

I thought about posting this as a different thread, but I thought I'd just keep this thread rollin....

Whats the deal with that needle stick? I mean, I guess I know it happens and all, but what is the likelihood of contracting anything from that?

I thought about posting this as a different thread, but I thought I'd just keep this thread rollin....

My guess is the chances for her contracting something are pretty low but that being said it is very dangerous because that patient was "high risk" because of her past drug use. Basically, she could contract Hepatitis or a number of other diseases because their blood came into contact with each other.

I would be freaking out as well but my guess is she won't end up contracting anything. If she did that would SUCK knowing that it was such a minor thing like a needle stick.

Did anyone else realize how much more cleaner this series is than Hopkins? I remember Hopkins had much more blood :)D) and heavier procedures. Boston Med seems fit like for someone who watches Grey's Anatomy and then saw this show and realized how close they relate. Its like asking for more ppl to see how much more dreamy it is to be a doctor without showing worth **** anything a resident/doctor does. Man Im tired of these ppl in pre-med thinking they saw Boston Med and think its just like it -__-.

Hopkins shown true pain (divorce, missing general family events, no family, single life) and this show doesnt.Just my 2 cents.

I agree that "Hopkins" is a little more hardcore. I like that a lot more, but this one is still good... I wish they would focus on more than the constant Emergency Room stuff.

Also (from and earlier episode), did anyone understand what the ER resident, Dr. Patel, was talking about when she mentioned the mentor she had in medical school that took his own life after a graduation....?
Needed a little more explaining, it was a little out of the blue...

Hep C is seriously a lot--a LOT--easier to get from a needle stick than HIV. You only need a tiny, tiny bit of blood transfer for Hep. She definately got blood transfer--did you see the way her hand was bleeding? I think that she reacted with appropriate proportion.

If you want hardcore, watch Trama: Life in the ER reruns on Discovery Health.

I just started watching Hopkins and it's so much better than Boston Med. They're both good but like someone said, Hopkins shows the "darker" side of being a doctor and the pain that comes with it.

Speaking from personal experience, it is a terrifying experience. Odds are low, but waiting for those test results to come back was one of the most nerve-wracking periods I've ever had.

I really liked Kimberly Parks.

:thumbup: to more Bardouche & Reish lol

They're Bizarro Dumb and Dumber. Quite entertaining to watch ;b

If there are any pre-DOs in here, Kimberly Parks is a DO. Just a fun factoid.

Some makeup is fine. I think what most guys, or at least myself, don't like is when women wear so much makeup that they look drastically different without it. I have seen many women that wear so much foundation that their face is a different color than their neck. I want to be able to touch the face without having powder all over it after.

You don't have to wear a lot of foundation for their face to be a different color than their neck. Many women choose a darker foundation than their natural skin color because it hides flaws better and makes them look better (like a tan, for the face). The reason the face looks darker is because they don't blend. Once you blend, you shouldn't be able tell a big difference. But still, a very small amount of foundation can still give that affect.

Also (from and earlier episode), did anyone understand what the ER resident, Dr. Patel, was talking about when she mentioned the mentor she had in medical school that took his own life after a graduation....?
Needed a little more explaining, it was a little out of the blue...

I'm beginning to stock this thread. Oh well :rolleyes:. She said that he was the smartest person she knew. It was very encouraging that he believed that she would make a great doctor even on the tough days when she was ready to throw in the towel. Therefore, he was very special to her and now that she is "making it" through tough times after med school, the memory of him sustained her through self-doubt and horrible residency days.

Last edited:
Even though it's a watered down version of life in a hospital, I enjoy watching it. When you're actually there during a code or a trauma everything is so hectic and crazy that you don't have time to let the emotion or shock set in.

Also, why couldn't they have just done a little 15-30 sec bit at the end about organ donation? The only way people are going to know how beneficial it can be is if you get the word out!

Also, why couldn't they have just done a little 15-30 sec bit at the end about organ donation? The only way people are going to know how beneficial it can be is if you get the word out!
:thumbup::thumbup:

Hep C is seriously a lot--a LOT--easier to get from a needle stick than HIV. You only need a tiny, tiny bit of blood transfer for Hep. She definately got blood transfer--did you see the way her hand was bleeding? I think that she reacted with appropriate proportion.

What happens if you do get Hep C from a needle stick?

I just watched this show for the first time last night. I thought it was alright, and it certainly had it's moments. There are better medical shows obviously, but I think it is worth watching for sure.

The needle sticks are probably something everyone is going to have to deal with. Hopefully it doesn't happen with a high risk patient, but it most likely will happen. They do have drugs that make the risk of contraction smaller (for both hep c and HIV I believe).

I thought the best part of the show was the cardiac patient and the cardiologist. It was very real. Contrarily, I thought a lot of the show was too "scripted" such as all reality shows are now a days.

As far as the nurses; I actually think they have a point, although it was perhaps a bit tasteless to do it on tv. How would you feel if you worked at a hospital for thirty years and some resident came in and thought they knew everything, calling you "just a nurse." Although the residents have more knowledge of disease pathology etc., the nurse of thirty years has more actually experience in real life situations. They have seen the attendings make life changing treatment decisions time and time agian. That is valuable, and it is information that is worthwhile learning. Plus it is just part of any job; people complain about each other, that's fairly normal.

In all, so far, I give it 3 out of 5 stars, maybe 2.

Since this series is close to winding down, I think it's safe to conclude that the direction/production on this series is awful. Half the scene changes don't make ANY sense. And most of the cases they chose to focus on don't go into any depth at all. It's like they made the TV show extra dumb. I'll still watch the rest of it, but I'm going to be grumpy while I do.

Since this series is close to winding down, I think it's safe to conclude that the direction/production on this series is awful. Half the scene changes don't make ANY sense. And most of the cases they chose to focus on don't go into any depth at all. It's like they made the TV show extra dumb. I'll still watch the rest of it, but I'm going to be grumpy while I do.

They have to because most of the tv watching public, I hate to say, are pretty dumb. Most people who watch don't want to know about what we want to know about, they just want entertainment, and to get fatter.

Last edited:
It's sad because this TV show could have been used to educate the public meaningfully. But it's just sensationalist like all the other reality TV stuff. Hopkins was way better at least.

I think both nurses and doctors need to wind down their ego and realize that they are supposed to be a TEAM and work together to create a more hospitable environement. I don't think the problem is totally with hot shot I think I'm god doctors but with nurses who act the same way as well.

When both learn to cooperate and act to the best of their ability in a team then things will change, but sadly egos will always fly high on both ends.

There are also nurses who think that a resident is just a resident and fledgling doctor and therefore nobody compared to their 30 years of experience.

It goes both ways. Both doctors treat nurses horribly at times and nurses treat med students, residents, and doctors horribly at times as well. When both want to let go of their egos only will the problem be solved.

If it was tasteless that the residents said you are just a nurse, it is equally tasteless that those nurses said those residents are just guests in their hospital. Those residents worked hard to get there and may be faculty and their boss one day regardless of how long they are there for before the doctors.

The difference being that the nurses were on vacation and just venting among themselves, and that's what people do. I don't care WHAT profession you belong to, people are going to complain about work and co-workers amongst themselves.

To tell someone that's supposedly on your "team" that they are "just a nurse" or any similar snide remark is what turns the work environment more hostile and makes it a hell of a lot harder to work together with said person.

Keep it to yourself until you leave the hospital.

And doctors and nurses generally work under totally different departments within hospitals, so I wouldn't go so far as that "boss" remark. That's just ridiculous. "I'm a doctor, you should be afraid of me because one day I'LL FIRE YOU." Please.

anyone else notice what the OB/GYN resident said about residency?

"if you don't want to commit suicide everyday, you're not showing up"

I think both nurses and doctors need to wind down their ego and realize that they are supposed to be a TEAM and work together to create a more hospitable environement. I don't think the problem is totally with hot shot I think I'm god doctors but with nurses who act the same way as well.

When both learn to cooperate and act to the best of their ability in a team then things will change, but sadly egos will always fly high on both ends.

There are also nurses who think that a resident is just a resident and fledgling doctor and therefore nobody compared to their 30 years of experience.

It goes both ways. Both doctors treat nurses horribly at times and nurses treat med students, residents, and doctors horribly at times as well. When both want to let go of their egos only will the problem be solved.

If it was tasteless that the residents said you are just a nurse, it is equally tasteless that those nurses said those residents are just guests in their hospital. Those residents worked hard to get there and may be faculty and their boss one day regardless of how long they are there for before the doctors.

I agree. Nurses can be every bit in the wrong. I just stated it as I did because it is the pre-med forum and it is pretty easy for everyone here to take the side of the residents without seeing the other side.

anyone else notice what the OB/GYN resident said about residency?

"if you don't want to commit suicide everyday, you're not showing up"

Yea, there were quite a few comments about how residency sucked and quite a bit of regretful sediment. Another telling comment, I thought, was after she got stuck with the needle and she was walking out to her car; "Well, at least it was a good case." That said a lot to me.

does anyone feel that this show's too happy go lucky? I mean it's nice to see all the patients recover, but it is just not realistic, I think every once a while they need to throw in some that don't make it

does anyone feel that this show's too happy go lucky? I mean it's nice to see all the patients recover, but it is just not realistic, I think every once a while they need to throw in some that don't make it

Um, I don't think we've been watching the same show. In the first or second episode, a teenager died in the emergency room, and last night, we watched a wife say goodbye to her husband after a cardiac arrest.

Um, I don't think we've been watching the same show. In the first or second episode, a teenager died in the emergency room, and last night, we watched a wife say goodbye to her husband after a cardiac arrest.

ya nvm, I forgot about the first one, and I just watched last nights...but still not as frequent

Lot of patients live you know. That's sorta why this profession exists.

Last edited:
It's funny, whenever I watch a show like that now I think; "Hmm, I wonder if that doctor/resident/med-student is on SDN.":D

I'm in tears! How often do cases such as the man who was unable to get the heart transplant happen? That is just terrible. I know medicine isn't always happy and fuzzy but this is so disheartening.

I'm in tears! How often do cases such as the man who was unable to get the heart transplant happen? That is just terrible. I know medicine isn't always happy and fuzzy but this is so disheartening.

that made me laugh and be depressed at the same time.

The CT surgeon the cardiologist was talking to cracked me up, "Well go get a gun and shoot somebody." in reference to getting a heart lol

Whatever specialty I choose, I want to be like Dr. Dibar. Bad. Ass.

I've only watche dthe first episode.

that made me laugh and be depressed at the same time.

Just curious,and I am not asking in a mean way or anything, but what part of my statement made you laugh? I'm still in somewhat of a somber mood after watching this :(

Just curious,and I am not asking in a mean way or anything, but what part of my statement made you laugh? I'm still in somewhat of a somber mood after watching this :(

you said it was "disheartening" ...which is sort of a double entendre because he couldn't get a heart in addition to it being very sad.

The difference being that the nurses were on vacation and just venting among themselves, and that's what people do. I don't care WHAT profession you belong to, people are going to complain about work and co-workers amongst themselves.

Except they weren't on vacation alone amongst themselves...they were on national TV and were completely aware of it. They were hamming it up for the cameras and clearly loving it.

I'm a guy, and while I'd prefer to see a male urologist, I certainly would not care about his sexuality. I've asked my wife and a couple other females friends that same question and they did not seem to take sexuality into account.

Just watched that episode last night, was actually the first full episode I've seen. Definitely was a sad situation with the gentlemen in heart failure but it something that happens all the time and I thought portrayed well, I certianly felt for that family. In one clip before he started to go downhill I thought I caught a glimpse of an IABP and kind of figured that it would not end well.

The nurses on vacay were also probably hamming it up some for the camera. Of course they were aware it'd might make it to national tv so whether or not that was the most tactful thing to do is debatable. I just chaulked it up to them letting off some steam amongst themselves, we know it happens anyway.

you said it was "disheartening" ...which is sort of a double entendre because he couldn't get a heart in addition to it being very sad.

Yes, I understood what you were saying a little while after typing up that reply. I wasn't really thinking about my choice of words :laugh:

But I agree that good doctors and nurses and bad doctors and nurses are on both ends. I wish people would get over their own egos in both arenas.
Exactly. It seems to be a war without reason if you ask me.

BTW I think you meant sentiments and not sediments.
:laugh: That's funny because I was wondering if I was using that right when I was writing. Oops.

Seeing that that girl brought up her sexuality saying she was gay, would you feel comfortable going to an Ob/Gyn if you knew she was gay or would it make you uncomfortable???
I ask because I knew this guy who was gay and a urologist and in the town where my parents live no one would go to him if they knew which is why he left the town and moved away to a city with a more gay friendly environment. But it got me thinking when that girl said she was gay, whether people would feel uncomfortable going to her knowing that or would it be as uncomfortable as if you were going to a guy doctor for these sort of things. what are your thoughts? Or do you not care as long as they are competent?
As a male I really have no preference. I have been in very compromising positions with both male and female docs.

Females, as you know, had no real choices regarding this in the past and had to see a male OBGYN or none at all.

In the end I am kind of torn on this. On one hand I believe that if the dr is competent then he/she should be given the benefit of the doubt that he/she will be professional in nature. On the other hand, some people have had sexual abuse or are very modest in nature, and it is wrong to force them to do something they don't want.

Sexual orientation is even more complicated than gender because it is not as obvious. How would patient's even know unless the doctor said, "I am Dr blah blah blah and I'm also gay." I would still have no problem going to a gay urologist, but I could see how others might, and I don't necessarily think that makes them homophobic either, although perhaps a bit narrow minded.

In the end I think that the patient had the right to see the Dr they are most comfortable with, unless it is an emergency situation. That is the safest bet. I don't think anyone should be discriminated against due to their gender or sexual orientation, and neither does the law.

Last edited:
Speaking from personal experience, it is a terrifying experience. Odds are low, but waiting for those test results to come back was one of the most nerve-wracking periods I've ever had.

I guess it would be appropriate to ask how often "needle sticks" happen then?