Boston Med TV Show (ABC)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes, I believe credit is due here for hanging in there long enough to get the numbers. I didn't make it past "stick themselves while taking care of patients..." which was only like a minute in.

That's pretty interesting the number though I guess I never thought that it was that high. I've worked on ambulances and in the hospital for a few years now with needles and I've had a couple close calls but no sticks myself. The only unprotected exposure I've ever had was a drunk student at my college that spit vomit in my face and eyes while I was transferring care to the ER staff at like 3:00am. That was not fun at all.. The nurses took care of me and flushed my eyes out for a while then offered to let me go back in and punch the kid if I wanted. I just laughed but I'm not so sure they were joking lol

Members don't see this ad.

When I had my needle-stick drama*, the nurse in occ health told me, "we advise that you abstain from sex for the next 6 months..." and I actually LOL'd. She didn't think it was funny. It sounds like Rachel agreed to go on anti-viral medication. I've heard that makes you feel terrible :(

*It was actually just a cut in the lab, not from a patient.

I was watching one medical show, I think it was Trauma Life in the ER, and the doc stuck himself with a needle that was used on a known hep c patient. The patient had attempted suicide by shooting himself and they were working to save him. Not that I'm oppose to doing everything for a patient, but it would be a shame to get hep c trying to save someone who doesn't want to be saved or if there was little hope of doing so, which was the case. If I remember correctly though, he came up negative after six months.

Members don't see this ad :)
it would be a shame to get hep c trying to save someone who doesn't want to be saved or if there was little hope of doing so, which was the case. If I remember correctly though, he came up negative after six months.
...just another humbling day inside the gates.

...just another humbling day inside the gates.

When I was in high school my pops stuck himself with a needle he used on a known full blown aids/hep B patient. Went on HAART and got neither. The risks for a hollow bore needle stick arent astronomically high shockingly enough.

It sounds like Rachel agreed to go on anti-viral medication. I've heard that makes you feel terrible :(

She probably only had to take a dose or two. It was a high-risk needle stick but not on a patient with a documented infection. So all she needed to do was take the immediate ppx (they like to start the meds within a couple of hours of the stick), wait for the bloodwork from the source patient to come back, and then stop the meds once she got the "all clear"

I was watching one medical show, I think it was Trauma Life in the ER, and the doc stuck himself with a needle that was used on a known hep c patient. The patient had attempted suicide by shooting himself and they were working to save him. Not that I'm oppose to doing everything for a patient, but it would be a shame to get hep c trying to save someone who doesn't want to be saved or if there was little hope of doing so, which was the case. If I remember correctly though, he came up negative after six months.

There was a similar one on "Untold Stores of the ER." An ER doctor was talking about how earlier in his career he was treating a stab wound victim (he wasn't wearing gloves, masks, or glasses) and he got the victim's blood all over his face (mouth and eyes included). When he showered and came back he asked the patient why he had been stabbed and the patient replied "My boyfriend stabbed me because I just told him I was HIV positive" :eek: Lucky for him his tests came back negative.

yeah too bad she came off as pretty dumb.

How so? I liked her. It was an emotionally hard case for her because she got too attached, however she seemed to have provided the best possible care for the patient.

Last edited:
How so? I like her. It was an emotionally hard case for her because she got too attached, however she seemed to have provided the best possible care for the patient.

If we are talking about the cardiologist then that is the kind of doctor I would want. She put all she could in to that case when a lot of docs would not have even applied for a heart.

If we are talking about the cardiologist then that is the kind of doctor I would want. She put all she could in to that case when a lot of docs would not have even applied for a heart.

Well it was probably for the better that he didn't receive a heart. So I don't know if I agree with you there.

Well it was probably for the better that he didn't receive a heart. So I don't know if I agree with you there.

Of course it was for the better. That's why they decided not to give it to him even if they got one. All I'm saying is that I would want a doctor like that who would be willing to fight for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah too bad she came off as pretty dumb.

Quite a snide remark there, new fish.

It hadn't occured to me prior to this post that she was anything other than a Doctor. DO or MD, she was part of the team.

Last edited:
Quite a snide remark there, new fish.

It hadn't occured to me prior to this post that she was anything other than a Doctor. DO or MD, she was part of the team.

she came off to me as a phony, nothing snide about it at all. plus she totally got shot down by that heart transplant surgeon with his "snide" remark.

haters gon hate.

she came off to me as a phony, nothing snide about it at all. plus she totally got shot down by that heart transplant surgeon with his "snide" remark.

haters gon hate.
You are probably 100% dependent on mommy n daddy, and she is a physician and a professor at Harvard's medical school, residency program, and fellowship program, and she was on the AMA governing council, Yeah, she's pretty dumb. Friggin *****, you are. ;)

haters gon hate.

regardless if she was phony or not (to each his own opinion), being phony has nothing to do with an individual's intelligence.

Fake would have been a better word to use if you were going for that insult against her. However, you're just making yourself out to be an ass if being fake = showing emotion in an emotion-warranting situation.

You are probably 100% dependent on mommy n daddy, and she is a physician and a professor at Harvard's medical school, residency program, and fellowship program, and she was on the AMA governing council, Yeah, she's pretty dumb. Friggin *****, you are. ;)
Obviously she isn't an idiot. But the show didn't portray her in a strong confident light.

Obviously she isn't an idiot. But the show didn't portray her in a strong confident light.

Why, because she showed compassion? I guess you need to show no emotion in order to be considered intelligent.

Why, because she showed compassion? I guess you need to show no emotion in order to be considered intelligent.

Yeah really....some really interesting ideas on this site about what constitutes intelligence and success as a physician.

Good god people. Its a tv show. Yes they are real doctors, but its a tv show and if it is broadcasted on tv people are allowed to have an opinion on it the same as any other tv show.

Opinion is one thing. Deliberately posting an inflammatory remark about her being a DO is not proper conduct for a professional and preprofessional students.

I think the amount of emotion she displayed was a little bit unprofessional, yes. In a way I think doctors who keep a cool head, like that oral-maxillofacial surgeon, or Dr. Dibar, are more effective than doctors like that cardiologist in particular. There's a difference between sympathy and empathy.

Opinion is one thing. Deliberately posting an inflammatory remark about her being a DO is not proper conduct for a professional and preprofessional students.

how was it inflammatory? I just said that she came off as kind of dumb, it had nothing to do with her being a DO.

And now everyone is making ad-hominem attacks towards me-- a person they don't even know.

how was it inflammatory? I just said that she came off as kind of dumb, it had nothing to do with her being a DO.

And now everyone is making ad-hominem attacks towards me-- a person they don't even know.

Because the climate on this website is that a few posters like to engage in DO bashing.

When I write "Oh its great there is some DO representation on TV and especially at harvard" and you write "oh too bad she came off as dumb" you can draw the conclusion that you are hinting that she is dumb bc she is a DO.

Furthermore you are posting in a premed forum (therefore you can assume you are a premed) about an extremely accomplished physician as being dumb. You talk about people making ad hominem attacks against you....but you did the same thing to this physician.

Sometimes acting with a little compassion can go along way in enhancing both patient outcomes/satisfaction and in this case showing the patient's family members that doctors are people too. Being emotionally involved in a case doesnt make you dumb.

I think the amount of emotion she displayed was a little bit unprofessional, yes. In a way I think doctors who keep a cool head, like that oral-maxillofacial surgeon, or Dr. Dibar, are more effective than doctors like that cardiologist in particular. There's a difference between sympathy and empathy.
Fail.

I would say that she was able to keep a cool head while showing that she cared about how well her patient was doing. There weren't any situations where she was unprofessional in my book. Im sure after years of practicing and medicine being such a large part of your life you become emotionally invested in patients from time to time because as a person and as a doctor you just want to see them become healthy again. I personally would rather have a doctor who genuinely showed interest in my well-being than a doctor that seems unmoved if everything else was equal, but thats just me.

We were only able to see 5 minute clips of each person taken from weeks/months of following these people. The show is trying to tell a story so there is a lot of twisting and bending of the footage to tell it. Im sure there were probably times where Dr. Dibar was bummed out about a patient's condition but it was left on the cutting room floor because of time restraints.

Because the climate on this website is that a few posters like to engage in DO bashing.

When I write "Oh its great there is some DO representation on TV and especially at harvard" and you write "oh too bad she came off as dumb" you can draw the conclusion that you are hinting that she is dumb bc she is a DO.

Furthermore you are posting in a premed forum (therefore you can assume you are a premed) about an extremely accomplished physician as being dumb. You talk about people making ad hominem attacks against you....but you did the same thing to this physician.

Sometimes acting with a little compassion can go along way in enhancing both patient outcomes/satisfaction and in this case showing the patient's family members that doctors are people too. Being emotionally involved in a case doesnt make you dumb.

Tu quoque. I'm assuming you're a pre-DO? Insecure much? Seeing as your deduction skills are quite impressive, as you were able to correctly guess that I am indeed a pre-med posting here, you can also probably deduce I am new to this forum from my 12, now 13 posts. How you were not able to make the next logical step, to further conclude that I had no idea of a "DO bashing" culture on this forum, is beyond me, but I suggest to you, and to all of the other quick-to-aggravate posters on this forum, to get off your high horse, stop saying i'm a "new fish" (what is that?) who depends on my mother and father (which admittedly I do), and become more accepting to differing opinions. While I may not have 5 years+ on this forum, I am quite sure I could trounce all of you. :cool:

I would say that she was able to keep a cool head while showing that she cared about how well her patient was doing. There weren't any situations where she was unprofessional in my book. Im sure after years of practicing and medicine being such a large part of your life you become emotionally invested in patients from time to time because as a person and as a doctor you just want to see them become healthy again. I personally would rather have a doctor who genuinely showed interest in my well-being than a doctor that seems unmoved if everything else was equal, but thats just me.

We were only able to see 5 minute clips of each person taken from weeks/months of following these people. The show is trying to tell a story so there is a lot of twisting and bending of the footage to tell it. Im sure there were probably times where Dr. Dibar was bummed out about a patient's condition but it was left on the cutting room floor because of time restraints.

You have a point I was too quick to judge.

Tu quoque. I'm assuming you're a pre-DO? Insecure much? Seeing as your deduction skills are quite impressive, as you were able to correctly guess that I am indeed a pre-med posting here, you can also probably deduce I am new to this forum from my 12, now 13 posts. How you were not able to make the next logical step, to further conclude that I had no idea of a "DO bashing" culture on this forum, is beyond me, but I suggest to you, and to all of the other quick-to-aggravate posters on this forum, to get off your high horse, stop saying i'm a "new fish" (what is that?) who depends on my mother and father (which admittedly I do), and become more accepting to differing opinions. While I may not have 5 years+ on this forum, I am quite sure I could trounce all of you. :cool:

HAHA :laugh: Oh no the E thuggin begins! Alright tough guy, if only we could meet in person, although I am sure that is not practical....so I will refrain from calling you out on your idle threats. I am actually a DO student (well I start in 2 weeks). As for insecure? Nah my man. I have been out of college for years and had the CHOICE to attend a DO school over an MD school because I am a HOMEOWNER and didnt feel the need to sell my house to get an MD. Thanks for the laughs! :)

haters gon hate.

Someone needs to stop reading The Catcher in the Rye

Don't make me call Maurice!

cool bro! you got a literary reference! by not only catching my use of the word "phony," but also referencing Maurice-- the elevator doorman/pimp who assaults Holden after he refuses to be taken advantage of-- it shows to other posters that you have indeed read The Catcher in the Rye, a book well loved by myself and read by 95% of middle/high schoolers.

Despite his intellectual shortcomings, Bojangles is indeed accurate when he perceives my use of the word "phony" in a vein similar to the "phonies" Holden discusses in The Catcher in the Rye, rather than the word used to describe a phony doctor, or a quack. If people misunderstood my choice of words, I apologize, as I do not view DOs as "quacks" in any way.

cool bro! you got a literary reference! by not only catching my use of the word "phony," but also referencing Maurice-- the elevator doorman/pimp who assaults Holden after he refuses to be taken advantage of-- it shows to other posters that you have indeed read The Catcher in the Rye, a book well loved by myself and read by 95% of middle/high schoolers.

Despite his intellectual shortcomings, Bojangles is indeed accurate when he perceives my use of the word "phony" in a vein similar to the "phonies" Holden discusses in The Catcher in the Rye, rather than the word used to describe a phony doctor, or a quack. If people misunderstood my choice of words, I apologize, as I do not view DOs as "quacks" in any way.

Good. I accept your apology.

Good. I accept your apology.

Whatever makes you feel better. Although, I meant as more of an apology towards anyone who misinterpreted my post. Whether that includes you or not, I don't think in reality I would ever apologize to anyone as immature as you, nor do I think I need to.
:cool:

Calm down buddy. People do have the right do disagree with you, and that's all I for one was doing. I don't think anyone starting attacking you or getting defensive until you did so.

Also, just because you don't know about the culture of DO bashing trolls that have a long history on here doesn't mean they don't exist. Chill man, and welcome to the forum. If you calm down a bit you might be able to gain quite a bit from it.

Whatever makes you feel better. Although, I meant as more of an apology towards anyone who misinterpreted my post. Whether that includes you or not, I don't think in reality I would ever apologize to anyone as immature as you, nor do I think I need to.
:cool:

Immature? I am 27 years old and have been out of college since you were in middle school most likely. Thanks for the insult....but you failed. Good luck trying to get into med school...I wish you luck...really I do.

Immature? I am 27 years old and have been out of college since you were in middle school most likely. Thanks for the insult....but you failed. Good luck trying to get into med school...I wish you luck...really I do.

Thanks but I don't need your luck.

Wow you're annoying.

I wish I could get Hopkins for free on the internet somewhere...:p

I wish I could get Hopkins for free on the internet somewhere...:p

TVDuck.com has all the episodes as far as I know.
Along with pretty much every other TV show o:

Last edited:

Others have already commented on the fact that we only see a few minutes here and there during those situations and thus we can't just make general statements regarding whether or not their emotion was appropriate or not.

Just from my experience so far in the clinic world I've seen some pretty cool, calm, level headed, usually "non-emotional" attendings become similarily affected by certain patients in certain situations. I certianly don't equate that kind of a show of emotion as any sort of weakness, quite the opposite. We don't know her history with the patient, which was probably fairly lengthy as opposed to the CV sugeon who made that little "joke" who really wasn't emotionally involved in the case.

As a student I think I've done a decent job of maintaining some sort of professional emotional distance in tough situations but even then have had a couple cases that just really got to me for various reasons.

I'm not gonna jump on the bandwagon against you here, but it is interesting how just a few minutes of footage here and there paint a picture of cool, collected surgeons and an emotional "phony" female cardiologist.

Boston Med this Thursday, Shut the **** Up and GET BACK ON TOPIC