CCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stripes said:
I'm pretending to be 4 years old everyday... playing outside on the playground and learning my ABC's.

Hey, anyone know of any fun places in CA that's not too touristy? I'm going out there in June.

Sweet...Im heading to Californina from June 16 to the 19 with some friends and heading up to yosemite for some outdoorsy good times!!! Just a couple of dudes hangin out in the woods, surviving on our natural instincts and wits. Sleeping in the lodges ofcourse, indoor plumbing is a must!

Members don't see this ad.

hahah thats hilarious, surviving on your instincts and wits but sleeping in a lodge.

also, whats up with the screen names?

sunsun, sunnie, sunny1210? Are you guys all cousins?

Members don't see this ad :)
BERNZ said:
Sweet...Im heading to Californina from June 16 to the 19 with some friends and heading up to yosemite for some outdoorsy good times!!! Just a couple of dudes hangin out in the woods, surviving on our natural instincts and wits. Sleeping in the lodges ofcourse, indoor plumbing is a must!

Yosemite is beautiful! And yes, when I was there I stayed in the lodges too. Of course I had my 80 year old grandma and great aunt with. Hey, if we have more campers around, we should go up to WI Dells. I camp there every year. With plumbing of course, but only tents and sleeping bags! Have fun! I'll be in CA June 15th-29th. That's a whole lotta family time...

Stripes said:
Yosemite is beautiful! And yes, when I was there I stayed in the lodges too. Of course I had my 80 year old grandma and great aunt with. Hey, if we have more campers around, we should go up to WI Dells. I camp there every year. With plumbing of course, but only tents and sleeping bags! Have fun! I'll be in CA June 15th-29th. That's a whole lotta family time...

Yeah, I camp. I went backpacking in New Mexico for 21 days.

I am thinking about changing my screen name to Sunsunsunnie1212mcsunnerson

bbake87 said:
I am thinking about changing my screen name to Sunsunsunnie1212mcsunnerson

Go for it - the sun______'s are taking over so you might as well join us :smuggrin:

Last year I made this list of local apartments for MWU students and it went over real well. Here you guys go. I am posting the apartment list with special MWU/CCOM pricing. If you can't download it, the housing director Bryan Dickson ([email protected]) will have a copy of it. Enjoy. These are all great places and great prices.

- Aaron Reitman, MSIII

p.s. I took my USMLE on Thursday, boy am I glad that is over, now the two day beast - COMLEX.

Attachments

• ApartmentListII.doc
    84.5 KB · Views: 211
Areitman said:
Last year I made this list of local apartments for MWU students and it went over real well. Here you guys go. I am posting the apartment list with special MWU/CCOM pricing. If you can't download it, the housing director Bryan Dickson ([email protected]) will have a copy of it. Enjoy. These are all great places and great prices.

- Aaron Reitman, MSIII

p.s. I took my USMLE on Thursday, boy am I glad that is over, now the two day beast - COMLEX.

Aaron, thanks a ton for the flyer. My future roommate is in Africa right now on a medical mission and we won't be able to go apt shopping until late July. Will this be ample time to find a sweet place?

Thanks,

Bill

p.s. Were you part of the interview group on 3/27?

bbake87 said:
Aaron, thanks a ton for the flyer. My future roommate is in Africa right now on a medical mission and we won't be able to go apt shopping until late July. Will this be ample time to find a sweet place?

Thanks,

Bill

p.s. Were you part of the interview group on 3/27?

Hey Bill,

Don't worry about timing. There will be plenty of two bedrooms at all of these places at the end of July and well into August. My top two choices are Versailles and City View, but all of them are good. Just mention that you are a Midwestern student and bring in the flyer for the particular apartment complex and they will hook you up. I think Versailles will even send you some pictures if you call/email them. All of these places love to have medical students because they know your loans will cover your rent, so these places will go the extra mile to get you to come to there place.

Talk to you later,

Aaron

wow, i looked at my calendar today and realized its june 1st! I can't believe we're finally done with this whole process!

jakki said:
wow, i looked at my calendar today and realized its june 1st! I can't believe we're finally done with this whole process!

Bring up the CCOM my babies. We are dropping faster than the Buckeyes in October

heh.

You gotta come with something better than that. Otherwise, Ill just assume you are a pansy ass like the rest of your state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buckeye(OH) said:
heh.

You gotta come with something better than that. Otherwise, Ill just assume you are a pansy ass like the rest of your state.

My bad bro. Dude, you find out anything about where you'll be attending school next year?

Fellow CCOMER's, yes we all josh about and poke fun of each other's home state teams, but in all honesty I admire the dedication and sticktuitiveness (e.g. Buckeye) that each of us displays for said teams. That being said, if anyone ever sees me walking down the street w/ an Illinois shirt please hit me in the face w/ a sack of roofing nails.

Thanks,

William Paul Bake Esquire the III

Second page again! What's everyone up to these days? Work? Travel?

Sunsun said:

Work, but I leave Wednesday for my 2.5 week Eurotrip.

Sunsun said:

Working a ton and getting amped to go to New Orleans in August.

Work and spending time with the family and traveling. Leaving for sunny CA for two weeks of fun in the sun!

Doctors, nice work bringing our thread up from the cellar. Let's keep this baby page 1.

Europe, New Orleans, Cali....anyone have space in their suitcase that's oh, about the size of a person? You guys have a great time! Let us know how things went when you come back and take tons of pictures!

Im not sure which is more exciting, the start of med school or another Buckeye football season.

AWWWWWWW YEEEEEAHHHHHH

Hi fellow classmates. i just--2 days ago--decided to go to ccom. i am from north carolina (originally pennsylvania but moved to nc 6 years ago to go to UNC for undergrad). needless to say i am not looking forward to the cold, but everything else seems great.

so, as an out of stater, i was hoping to find a roommate to share the rent. i was in chicago last weekend adn checked out some apartments, but couldnt decide where to live. does anyone have suggestions? and does anyone need a roommate?--i am a female, 24, non-smoker, ...

ummmm said:
Hi fellow classmates. i just--2 days ago--decided to go to ccom. i am from north carolina (originally pennsylvania but moved to nc 6 years ago to go to UNC for undergrad). needless to say i am not looking forward to the cold, but everything else seems great.

so, as an out of stater, i was hoping to find a roommate to share the rent. i was in chicago last weekend adn checked out some apartments, but couldnt decide where to live. does anyone have suggestions? and does anyone need a roommate?--i am a female, 24, non-smoker, ...

Hey Ummmm, check out Areitman's post from 5/29 at 1:10 p.m. There is a list of apartment deals close to CCOM on his attachment. Also, I am planning on living w/ another guy who is in Ethiopia right now. We would gladly take on another roommate. I anticipate that we will find an apt in early august.

Bill

Hi ummmm (and everyone else)

I'll be starting at CCOM this fall and looking for a roommate. I'm from Charlotte and I also went to UNC (graduated in 2001). I'm hoping to live right near campus. Living in the city will have to wait for a later year... Email me if you're interested: [email protected]

Can't wait to meet everyone!
Katherine

ummmm said:

For those of you who are choosing to live on campus, how long after you put down your deposit did it take to get your housing assignment?

Buckeye(OH) said:
Im not sure which is more exciting, the start of med school or another Buckeye football season.

AWWWWWWW YEEEEEAHHHHHH

Definitely another Buckeye football season.

Areitman said:

- Aaron Reitman, MSIII

Make sure you all check my posting on 5/29/2005 about housing. I compiled a list of special prices for Midwestern students. It's in a word document. Download and print it out and bring it in to the apartment complexes when looking. they are offering great deals for you all. Anyhow, enjoy your summer.

-Aaron

Bumpin this Biznite all the way from the UK. Rome tomorrow :D

Buckeye(OH) said:
Bumpin this Biznite all the way from the UK. Rome tomorrow :D

Buck, don't forget about your homeboy in Sconsin (or Pissconsin)

Hey everyone,

Over on the main osteopathic board, someone posted a thread wanting advice over choosing between KCOM and CCOM. Many of us from KCOM who had to make the decision posted, but no one from CCOM has spoken up yet. I don't know if anyone here has seen the discussion or not, but it's pretty one sided at this point. I know that CCOM is a great school too, and so if anyone gets a chance, post some words of wisdom.

Hello from Sunny Cal. Been here for over a week and have yet to see a cloud! Perfect weather, although it's cooler here than back home in WI. Tomorrow I'll be heading to Hollywood to add to the forever sunburn that I have! Take care!

jnpeacoc said:
Hey everyone,

Over on the main osteopathic board, someone posted a thread wanting advice over choosing between KCOM and CCOM. Many of us from KCOM who had to make the decision posted, but no one from CCOM has spoken up yet. I don't know if anyone here has seen the discussion or not, but it's pretty one sided at this point. I know that CCOM is a great school too, and so if anyone gets a chance, post some words of wisdom.

I am a 3rd year from CCOM, so this is my response. If you want a competitive residency, CCOM has placed more DOs in top residencies than any other DO school. Maybe it's because there are so many Chicago Residencies and we have ample opportunity to show face time at these hospitals. In the past 2004 Match we had one neurosurgery match and 1 derm. In 2005, we had 2 Neurosurgery, 2 Ortho, 3 Anesth, 4 Radiology and more ER matches out of all schools. Maybe its also due to the fact that we have the largest ER residency program in the nation (both Allopathic and osteopathic) Anyhow, food for thought.

Areitman said:
I am a 3rd year from CCOM, so this is my response. If you want a competitive residency, CCOM has placed more DOs in top residencies than any other DO school. Maybe it's because there are so many Chicago Residencies and we have ample opportunity to show face time at these hospitals. In the past 2004 Match we had one neurosurgery match and 1 derm. In 2005, we had 2 Neurosurgery, 2 Ortho, 3 Anesth, 4 Radiology and more ER matches out of all schools. Maybe its also due to the fact that we have the largest ER residency program in the nation (both Allopathic and osteopathic) Anyhow, food for thought.

Yo Aaron, I'm pretty sure the Yorktown II will be humble abode next year. Thanks for everything.

Bill

Hi, I'll be attending CCOM this fall and was wondering about international rotations. I know CCOM is known for their Chicago rotations, but do students go abroad to do their rotations at all? If any of you guys did, how easy was it to set up your rotations? I appreciate any kinda of response/input.
Thanks! :)

condios said:
Hi, I'll be attending CCOM this fall and was wondering about international rotations. I know CCOM is known for their Chicago rotations, but do students go abroad to do their rotations at all? If any of you guys did, how easy was it to set up your rotations? I appreciate any kinda of response/input.
Thanks! :)

I'm only a second year, but I did read on the clinical education site that international rotations are allowed. I believe it said one elective. I think they need additional planning/notice, of course. Maybe someone else can comment more on this (hopefully someone who has done one).

Have a bitchin 4th my friends and if you are partying be safe.

William Paul Bake Esquire III

Just got back from Chicago last night. I got my apartment, we will be in yorktown 2. Anybody else? I also went to the Taste of Chicago. Everyone we met told us not to go on Sunday, we should have listened. I have never seen so many people in one place at the same time. We did have some good food, so I guess it was worth it.

Todd

Dr. MTB said:
Just got back from Chicago last night. I got my apartment, we will be in yorktown 2. Anybody else? I also went to the Taste of Chicago. Everyone we met told us not to go on Sunday, we should have listened. I have never seen so many people in one place at the same time. We did have some good food, so I guess it was worth it.

Todd

Just got back from Chicago on Sunday. I skipped Taste as it's always way too crowded and makes me want to scream. Yay on finding a place. I'm staying on campus...only way my parents would pay for my housing for first year. Couldn't pass that up.

Stripes said:
Just got back from Chicago on Sunday. I skipped Taste as it's always way too crowded and makes me want to scream. Yay on finding a place. I'm staying on campus...only way my parents would pay for my housing for first year. Couldn't pass that up.

I wouldn't pass that up either. If I ever go to the Taste again it will be on a weekday in the middle of the day.

Dr. MTB said:

Todd

Dr. todd, myself and two other CCOMers will also be rockin in the Yorktown II. We'll have to have a pre-class barrel or something

Stripes said:

Stripes, how was Cali? I booked my trip for August 5th for a week in Lala land (los angeles) to see a good friend. I am stoked.

I was pretty excited to see that CCOM tells us to budget 55k for this coming year.

who is this bbake person?

bbake87 said:
Stripes, how was Cali? I booked my trip for August 5th for a week in Lala land (los angeles) to see a good friend. I am stoked.

Cali was great, a bit cold (in the 60s) at first then it got hot hot. Have fun in LA. I was in the Frisco and LA area. Have to say I think i like Nor Cal better. Maybe it's because I know it better. If you have time, swing up north, it's like a different world. Only like a 6 hour drive on Hwy 5.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I was pretty excited to see that CCOM tells us to budget 55k for this coming year.

How did you get that number? Did you get your fin aid letter yet? Also, is anyone else's checklist online all messed up? They keep changing mine randomly.

check your midwestern email, then you have to log onto the mwu intranet to get the fin aid letter.

Just checked my midwestern e.mail and I don't have any e.mail from them. I would think that's a bad thing right?