CCOM Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Buckeye(OH) said:
When is the first day of school?

I read on CNN Money a week or two ago that the number 14 restaurant in the world, is in Chicago. Its called Charlie Trotters....anyone know about this place?

Buck, If you like extremely expensive food (150 per person) and small portions, you will LOVE this place. been there once, wouldnt go again, there are definately better places to eat in chicago.

Members don't see this ad.

im planning to find a hot classmate and have her take me there.

To all those currently looking and already living near CCOM:

I just got back from Chicago - i was there looking for apartments for this upcoming fall and wanted to get opinions of those of u who may be living there are going to.

I really was impressed with Downers Grove and the surrounding suburbs. I lookingat places in Naperville, Lombard, Lyslie (speeled wrong), oak brood and Westmont. I was trying to get as close to campus as possbile.
I will be moving wit hmy girlfriend so we were looking for 2 bedrooms, @ least 1000 square ft in the 1000 - 1200/month range. She is looking for a corporate HR position either in the western suburbs or in the city so finding a aparment close to CCOM and a Metra station was critcal.

Can any of u recoomend any places that u liked? or like? Naperville was reaaly nice but far away from CCOM and we heard that it is over populated and hence a traffic nightmare.

We found a nice townhome called Green Trails in Lysile but were concerned that it may be too far from CCOM. Another that we liked was The Covington in Lombard. We really like that place and was told quite a few CCOM students already reside there.

I would greatly apprciate any suggestions on apartments or synopis of the various suburbs surrounding Downs Grove since we are from Florida and have no idea of the surrounding area.

Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
corona 247 said:

I just got back from Chicago - i was there looking for apartments for this upcoming fall and wanted to get opinions of those of u who may be living there are going to.

I really was impressed with Downers Grove and the surrounding suburbs. I lookingat places in Naperville, Lombard, Lyslie (speeled wrong), oak brood and Westmont. I was trying to get as close to campus as possbile.
I will be moving wit hmy girlfriend so we were looking for 2 bedrooms, @ least 1000 square ft in the 1000 - 1200/month range. She is looking for a corporate HR position either in the western suburbs or in the city so finding a aparment close to CCOM and a Metra station was critcal.

Can any of u recoomend any places that u liked? or like? Naperville was reaaly nice but far away from CCOM and we heard that it is over populated and hence a traffic nightmare.

We found a nice townhome called Green Trails in Lysile but were concerned that it may be too far from CCOM. Another that we liked was The Covington in Lombard. We really like that place and was told quite a few CCOM students already reside there.

I would greatly apprciate any suggestions on apartments or synopis of the various suburbs surrounding Downs Grove since we are from Florida and have no idea of the surrounding area.

Thanks so much!!!

Hey there guys...just my 2cents again. Ok so I live in an amazing apt. complex which is technically in naperville, but its on the north east side basically in lisle/wheaton. It takes me 25 minutes tops to get to school...without any unforseen problems such as accidents and what not. I live in a 2 bedroom, 1300 sq. feet, roman soaking tubs, vaulted ceilings, large patio, fireplace...it basically looks like a home inside...i pay 1071 after prorated 1.5 months free...Its called Lincoln at the Parks...if you go in there they also give deals to Midwestern Students...and if you tell them you were referred by a resident they will also give you between 200-400 bucks...anyother questions just let me know!!! I highly rec. it and its really nice to be near downtown naperville (5mintues) in the summer...great places to spend time outdoors...more details to come...Neuro final tomorrow!

Tovah

corona 247 said:

Thanks so much!!!

Corona -

My roommate and I (another 2nd year) are just getting ready to move out of a 2br/2ba apartment in Downers Grove. It's probably about 1100 or so sqft. It has never taken me more than 10 mins to go from my door to the classroom. Also we overlook the Downers Grove Metra train station. Rent is $935 - let me know if you want the number of management.

BERNZ said:
Buck, If you like extremely expensive food (150 per person) and small portions, you will LOVE this place. been there once, wouldnt go again, there are definately better places to eat in chicago.

Yo, you boys like to eat? I am a huge eater. We'll have to terrorize some buffets in Chicago.

HoosierDO said:
Hey there guys...congratulations to everyone in the class of 2009!! Great choice on schools!!! As we finish up our first here at CCOM i can honestly say that its a great place to be...its a love/hate relationship with medical school but it would be that way everywhere!

The future MS2's are planning some fun events for you guys during Orientation so keep your eyes and ears open. Mark your calendar for the evening of Sept. 1st so far...the ACOFP (American College of Ostoepathic Family Physicians) as organized a wine and cheese party for you guys that night from 730-9. Wont cost ya a thing, come and meet your future classmates, as well as some faculty and MS2's! You will have a formal invitation in your orientation packet which you will recieve later this summer...be sure to send us an email to the address provided to let us know if you will be able to attend and if you will be bringing a guest!!! The party goes from 730-9 and then afterwards we will probably all head out to a local bar!!!

Let me know if you have any questions...

Tovah

So, Hoosier any type of scoop for us on M1's on what type of events are planned before school starts? What is the lady situation like down there? My interview was money in the bank as I saw a bevy of honies.

Buckeye(OH) said:
Ill give up my spot of Penn State lets me in. Looks like May 15th is a big day not just for me....

Dude, Buck you hear any scoop from Penn St. yet?

bbake87 said:
Yo, you boys like to eat? I am a huge eater. We'll have to terrorize some buffets in Chicago.

Dude, I'll eat the **** outta anything you put in front of me.

bbake87 said:

Buffets you say..?....Fogo De Chao here we come!!! Its a friggin orgy of meats, filets, prime, etc...all you can eat...we shall eat like savages!! And Buck, your in too deep with us here, theres no turning back..CCOM it is!

BERNZ said:
Buffets you say..?....Fogo De Chao here we come!!! Its a friggin orgy of meats, filets, prime, etc...all you can eat...we shall eat like savages!! And Buck, your in too deep with us here, theres no turning back..CCOM it is!

Sweet Bernz. You know the old saying about meat - 'meat builds mass and mass gets a*s.

BERNZ said:

where are you living?

Am I the only miserable focker in Aspen? I only picked it cuz it was the cheapest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wine and cheese sounds goood!
Bernz, what didn't you like about Charlie T's?
One great thing about moving to Chicago...that Ghirardelli ice cream place! How great is it to have yummy chocolate and ice cream under the same roof?! Oh and I can't forget Giordano's pizza, from what I remember that was good too!

Buckeye(OH) said:
where are you living?

Am I the only miserable focker in Aspen? I only picked it cuz it was the cheapest.

A little place called Aspen...... Dude, you can sublet my couch. I am living of campus.

Dude, I guarantee Ill be passed the F out on your couch plenty often enough.

Buckeye(OH) said:
where are you living?

I got redwood hall 1, the new one being built. Do you have A/C at aspen? I heard not all the halls do, that would suck without it. I feel bad for the lucky person that has to share a bathroom with me,as two one person dorms share a bathroom. I like to take my time while droppin the kids off at the pool, yimean?....Sunsun, I just thought charlie trotters was just wayy to expensive for what you get. Dont get me wrong, Ill pay 40 bucks for a good steak from mortons all day long, but trotters just didnt do it for me. But giaradellis is good, i dont if you heard of cold stone creamery, but that place is the shizzyyyyy! As for pizza, Giordanos is one of my favorites, ginos east and unos are a couple other great ones. And bbake, speaking of mass, do you remember checking out the gym on campus? how was it, ****ty?

BERNZ said:
I got redwood hall 1, the new one being built. Do you have A/C at aspen? I heard not all the halls do, that would suck without it. I feel bad for the lucky person that has to share a bathroom with me,as two one person dorms share a bathroom. I like to take my time while droppin the kids off at the pool, yimean?....Sunsun, I just thought charlie trotters was just wayy to expensive for what you get. Dont get me wrong, Ill pay 40 bucks for a good steak from mortons all day long, but trotters just didnt do it for me. But giaradellis is good, i dont if you heard of cold stone creamery, but that place is the shizzyyyyy! As for pizza, Giordanos is one of my favorites, ginos east and unos are a couple other great ones. And bbake, speaking of mass, do you remember checking out the gym on campus? how was it, ****ty?

Bro, Coldstone is money in the bank, and Uno's is equally choice. They are both about 75 paces from my apt. in Madison. If I wasn't so broke I would be a fatas*. Living on a budget one has to prioritise their monthly allowance, thus my fridge is full of Old Milwaukee's Best Light and not Uno's or Coldstone. BUT, when I am making my millions some day I will have a Qdoba bar in my house.

On the day of my interview all I saw was the cardio area, which looked alright. I guess the weight room is downstairs. The basketball court is huge. If any of yous are former ballers like me we should get an intramural team together. However, I did lift at the Downers Grove YMCA and it was pretty sweet. Weight room was small, but all of the cardio had personal plams t.v.'s on them. There were also quite a few babes there.

You guys, we gotta plan something before school - and even the events planned for us by the MSII's - starts. We have to show those wannabe partiers how to bring it and roll Wisconsin style.

Word,

Billy

If by Wisconsin style you mean Buckeye style then Im down.

I have proposed that we head into Chicago that Saturday after orientation and b4 school starts to check out the aquarium/the downtown scene. Other people expressed interest.

Speaking of mass, Im an amateur bodybuilder. I will be checking the gym scene out particularly carefully.

Buckeye(OH) said:

I have proposed that we head into Chicago that Saturday after orientation and b4 school starts to check out the aquarium/the downtown scene. Other people expressed interest.

Speaking of mass, Im an amateur bodybuilder. I will be checking the gym scene out particularly carefully.

Alllrriigghhttt settle down boys...there will be no more of this "Wisconsin or Buckeye Style" bruhaha nonesense. When in Chicago, we roll Chi-Town Style!!

BERNZ said:
Alllrriigghhttt settle down boys...there will be no more of this "Wisconsin or Buckeye Style" bruhaha nonesense. When in Chicago, we roll Chi-Town Style!!

Sorry Bernz, I'm down for Chi-town pimpin. I'll definitely go gym huntin w/you fellas too.

I am looking for a condo to rent by CCOM. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom for $750. If you guys know of anyone looking to rent their place, please PM me.

Ok so a few responses...about the babes...well i think we have lots of good lookin' girls in our class...even this far into it (2more days 3 more finals to go)! But the funniest part is...YOU WONT HAVE TIME TO EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!. HAHA. As for renting a condo...go back a few pages...a friend of mine is wanting to rent his place in oakbrook terrace which is a very nice condo...dont think he was asking to much...we are talking granite counter tops the whole nine yards...his name is Rumen...look for the post! As far as trop downtown before classes...i think we are arranging something like that, more information to come in your orientation packet! ENJOY YOUR SUMMER...that is teh biggest piece of advice i have for you...i know you can barely wait to arrive, I was the same waY...dont wish it away...come next feb. you will understand why!!!

Have fun,
Ciao...
Tovah

Dr. Liver et al.,

Hey Class of 2009. I am a brand new third year medical student who has just arranged another year of special apartment prices for MWU/CCOM. I made a four page flyer last year and I just got the deals extended for the upcoming year. There are four local apartment complexes which the students at MWU/CCOM have highly recommended. MOreover, you get the special MWU/CCOM price. I will try to post it on this site again, but if it's too big, just email Bryan Dickson in Housing and he can forward you a copy of it. All you have to do is bring in the flyer to the apartment community that you like. Each one has a little incentive, but they wanted to emphasize you need to bring in the flyer. Well, check back soon and hopefully it will be posted by this Friday. Enjoy the rest of the summer and let me know if I can answer anything about CCOM. Also you guys may remember me when you interviewed, I am one of the Student Ambassadors at CCOM.

-Aaron Reitman

DrLiver said:
I am looking for a condo to rent by CCOM. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom for $750. If you guys know of anyone looking to rent their place, please PM me.

HoosierDO said:
Ok so a few responses...about the babes...well i think we have lots of good lookin' girls in our class...even this far into it (2more days 3 more finals to go)! But the funniest part is...YOU WONT HAVE TIME TO EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!. HAHA. As for renting a condo...go back a few pages...a friend of mine is wanting to rent his place in oakbrook terrace which is a very nice condo...dont think he was asking to much...we are talking granite counter tops the whole nine yards...his name is Rumen...look for the post! As far as trop downtown before classes...i think we are arranging something like that, more information to come in your orientation packet! ENJOY YOUR SUMMER...that is teh biggest piece of advice i have for you...i know you can barely wait to arrive, I was the same waY...dont wish it away...come next feb. you will understand why!!!

Have fun,
Ciao...
Tovah

Tovah.....are you serious when you tell them that they won't have time to check out the opposite sex???!!! hmmm....ok pot! :laugh:

And aaron.....I try to forget about you everyday, but you just keep coming back! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

by the way Tovah.....where is your ACOFP plug for September????

you should let them know about it on here.

By the way...congrats class of 2009. Make sure you enjoy your summer, and definitely don't worry about trying to study or prepare ahead of time.

SM-UCLA tech said:
Tovah.....are you serious when you tell them that they won't have time to check out the opposite sex???!!! hmmm....ok pot! :laugh:

And aaron.....I try to forget about you everyday, but you just keep coming back! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

what is pot for? you absolutely wont have time...i mean i guess you can daydream about it...but pursuing anything and making it work totally different story!!! key words MAKING IT WORK...something has to give

HoosierDO said:
what is pot for? you absolutely wont have time...i mean i guess you can daydream about it...but pursuing anything and making it work totally different story!!! key words MAKING IT WORK...something has to give

the pot who called the kettle black ;)

muah!
xoxo

Would any of you guys be willing to read a lOI that I am planning on sending to CCOM? Thanks in advance :D

Hey KHep,
I don't mind reading it either. Just pm it to me. Good luck!

Buckeye(OH) said:

count me in for any activities that involve booze, food, and/or loose women. when is everyone moving up there by the way? also, is there anything that we should be sending in after our $1,000? They confirmed they received it, but I havent received anything else.

llort said:
count me in for any activities that involve booze, food, and/or loose women. when is everyone moving up there by the way? also, is there anything that we should be sending in after our $1,000? They confirmed they received it, but I havent received anything else.

llort,
I received a financial aid packet and some info about required immunizations shortly after paying that $1000. Oh and you should be getting a packet that has your student ID and email info. Hmm, I think that's it. Get in touch with them if you don't get that stuff pretty soon! (I think they require the financial aid online interview to be completed by May 27.)

Hey Class of 2009! I am a current 1st year at CCOM and I'm doing just about anything to keep myself from studying right now :) We are done with finals tomorrow morning!!!! Trust me, you'll be very excited to get to this point next year! I just wanted to let you guys know that I have a pretty big 2 BR/1 Bath apt for lease starting June 1. If anyone is moving to the area early and wants to get settled in, I loved living here my first year. My lease isn't up until the end of August and I'm leaving for the summer so I decided to sublet it for the summer. I'm actually a little bummed about moving out but my boyfriend is looking into buying a condo so I'm sort of banking on that for next year.

Ok, so here's the scoop...its in Westmont, which is 10 minutes from campus (maybe 15 at the worst traffic when you sometimes have to wait a few minutes for the train :) The address is 609 W 65th St Westmont, IL 60559 (if you like to mapquest). The best part about this apt is that its 1 block south of the end of Downers Grove so the price is rediculously cheaper! I pay $795/month for the 2 BR and I used the second room as a study, which I loved having. As a comparison, most students live in some of the high rise apartment buildings and pay a ton more than that (we're talking like $1100 for a single!!). The apt is on the first floor of a 6-apt building and it has a large dining area and family room, with a balcony. Not to mention, there's a pool in the complex...which is a necessary for us people who enjoy a little relaxation amidst the added pleasures of med school. Personally, its not necessary to have a 2 BR apt for just me, and I think this place would be ideal for a married couple. But I figured why pay more for less? Also, living on campus was NOT for me, especially since the dorms run at about $700/month!

Ok, if anyone is interested, you can shoot me an email at [email protected] . Congrats on getting in! Again, I'm looking to rent this asap as it will be empty on June 1st. Talk to ya later and sorry this is soooo long...studying sucks and my brain is fried :)

Hey and congrats on getting into CCOM!

I'm a third year and have lived in the dorms for first and second year. No doubt you can find prettier places to live but I stayed in the dorms both years for a few reasons:
1. cheap: includes heat, water, internet, everything but phone (although you can make campus calls and 1-800 calls from your room). Also cuts down on driving costs significantly.
2. convenient, I leave my room at 7:50 to get to class a 7:54 am.
3. especially convenient when you have 7:30 exams 2-3 times per week.

Best of luck!

If you're living in the dorms this year you'll probably need to buy a micro-fridge. Before you do so, contact me because I have one in mint condition that is one year old.

Check out this website for a full description and picture of the microfridge, [http://www.microfridge.com/catalog/product.cgi/1/10/1/P1/default/N/0. The fridge-freezer-microwave combo that I have is black and fits a toaster oven perfectly on top, a great space saver.

If you order from the school it will cost you $454 with shipping. Let me know your best offer.

Cheers!

I cant move to Midwestern until they open the dorms up, which, unfortunately aint until the 29th of August.

Either way, I leave for my Eurotrip on the 15th of June and Im back on the 3rd of July.
Then Im headed for Alaska about 10 days later.

Buckeye(OH) said:
I cant move to Midwestern until they open the dorms up, which, unfortunately aint until the 29th of August.

Either way, I leave for my Eurotrip on the 15th of June and Im back on the 3rd of July.
Then Im headed for Alaska about 10 days later.

Buckeye, bring your favorite buddy from WI some Absenth back w/you.

You can get that in the US homey. Just gotta know where to order it from.

Buckeye(OH) said:
hey lame-o's, where are you guys?

Oconto, WI = way up in the sticks. They just got the internet up here.

I'm pretending to be 4 years old everyday... playing outside on the playground and learning my ABC's.

Hey, anyone know of any fun places in CA that's not too touristy? I'm going out there in June.

Hey Stripes,
Anaheim was nice in terms of beaches. Friends and I had a hard time finding good places for clubbing though. Oh the PINEAPPLE...mmmm soo good! Best I've ever had, in fact! If you head a bit out of town there are some nice scenic places without the crowds. And I think there's a restaurant called Coco's Family Restaurant - avoid it. I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of where you end up, after all it's Cali!! Have fun, bring me a postcard! :thumbup:

Stripes said:
I'm pretending to be 4 years old everyday... playing outside on the playground and learning my ABC's.

Hey, anyone know of any fun places in CA that's not too touristy? I'm going out there in June.

I've lived in Southern California all my life, and I can tell you that anywhere worth going will be full of crowds during the summer.

I work at UCI right near Newport Beach/Laguna. Sometimes I go to the beach after work on weekdays. It's still full of people, but you can ALWAYS ALWAYS find really quiet places along the beach if you park the car and walk a little bit (which is also really relaxing). I just camp out on the sand and watch the water, but you can find other things to do like hike and go horseback riding.

The weather is gorgeous right now, you'll have fun no matter what you do!

Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm headed to the Frisco area for a family wedding, UCDavis for my cousin's grad, and then to Orange County for a family reunion. I'm hoping to get away for a little bit since I can only handle so much family at a time. I figured it's peak time for tourist though.. yuck. I think I'm going to drive from Frisco to LA. Am I crazy? Anyone know of any good hiking places? I hiked near Santa Clara I think and it was fun. So much better than the speed bumps I have here in WI to hike.

Hey there!
Stripes: I currently live in Orange County (will be attending CCOM next year) - but there are tons of great hikes all around this area. Check out Mt Baldy or Mt San Jacinto for a extended day hike. As far as the drive from frisco down here - not too long. Oh, and I wouldnt worry about there being too many tourists.. they blend in fairly well with the crazy cal. natives ;) Message me if you want details about the hikes..