Chances of getting into MD school with BS RRT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isoceleskramer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New here, this is my first thread. I joined because I enjoy this site a lot and I am in need of some pre-medical advice. Since I was a kid, my dream was to become a doctor. However, my circumstances led me to the point of needing a career relatively quickly, and I decided to go to SUNY Upstate Medical University in my hometown of Syracuse, NY for Respiratory Therapy. I am in my final semester and carry a 4.0 GPA and also at the top of my class in terms of clinical prowess. I have NOT taken the MCATs or completed all the necessary pre-requisites, so this is mostly hypothetical. Bare with me, and imagine I don't bomb OChem or Physics..this is what I will look like upon graduation:

BS in RT, 4.0 GPA (courses include Cardiopulmonary Physiology 1 and 2, a MS1-level Pathology course, a MS1-level Pharmacology course, Med-Surg Evidence-Based Practice course, Ventilatory Support, Acid-Base Physiology, Neonatal Resp. Care, Pediatric Resp. Care, Polysomnography Sleep Studies, etc.) - I consider this valuable academic exp. for medical school, am I right?

2.5 years full-time at a top community college, where I received high marks including:
A in A&P 1 and 2, General Chem 1 & 2, Chemistry for Health Professionals, English 103 and 104, Psychology, Sociology, a year of college math, and Intro Statistics.
A- in Microbiology

My science GPA would be near perfect, and fulfills the lower level requirements for most any medical school. However, like I said I do not have Orgo or Physics done yet, and also do not have Calc or Pre-Calc or General Statistics (I have Intro Stats).

Basically, I need to know if my RT Bachelor's degree would be viewed similar to how a Bio or Chem Bachelors would be viewed in terms of competitiveness of my application. Also, I know it is frowned upon but I would really love to take OChem and Physics at the same community college. It is just the only convenient way for me right now, and it is highly regarded among CCs (Onondaga Community College). If I pull As in a year of OChem and a yr of Physics and do average to well on MCATs, and take Genetics or something else on top of it; plus a BS in RT and lots of clinical experience, AND 2 letters from accomplished MDs, could anybody give me an idea as to my chances at acceptance into a solid medical school?

Any ideas and thoughts are welcome. Thanks a ton!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. New here, this is my first thread. I joined because I enjoy this site a lot and I am in need of some pre-medical advice. Since I was a kid, my dream was to become a doctor. However, my circumstances led me to the point of needing a career relatively quickly, and I decided to go to SUNY Upstate Medical University in my hometown of Syracuse, NY for Respiratory Therapy. I am in my final semester and carry a 4.0 GPA and also at the top of my class in terms of clinical prowess. I have NOT taken the MCATs or completed all the necessary pre-requisites, so this is mostly hypothetical. Bare with me, and imagine I don't bomb OChem or Physics..this is what I will look like upon graduation:

BS in RT, 4.0 GPA (courses include Cardiopulmonary Physiology 1 and 2, a MS1-level Pathology course, a MS1-level Pharmacology course, Med-Surg Evidence-Based Practice course, Ventilatory Support, Acid-Base Physiology, Neonatal Resp. Care, Pediatric Resp. Care, Polysomnography Sleep Studies, etc.) - I consider this valuable academic exp. for medical school, am I right?

2.5 years full-time at a top community college, where I received high marks including:
A in A&P 1 and 2, General Chem 1 & 2, Chemistry for Health Professionals, English 103 and 104, Psychology, Sociology, a year of college math, and Intro Statistics.
A- in Microbiology

My science GPA would be near perfect, and fulfills the lower level requirements for most any medical school. However, like I said I do not have Orgo or Physics done yet, and also do not have Calc or Pre-Calc or General Statistics (I have Intro Stats).

Basically, I need to know if my RT Bachelor's degree would be viewed similar to how a Bio or Chem Bachelors would be viewed in terms of competitiveness of my application. Also, I know it is frowned upon but I would really love to take OChem and Physics at the same community college. It is just the only convenient way for me right now, and it is highly regarded among CCs (Onondaga Community College). If I pull As in a year of OChem and a yr of Physics and do average to well on MCATs, and take Genetics or something else on top of it; plus a BS in RT and lots of clinical experience, AND 2 letters from accomplished MDs, could anybody give me an idea as to my chances at acceptance into a solid medical school?

Any ideas and thoughts are welcome. Thanks a ton!

No MCAT score and "top community college" make it difficult for me to take you seriously.

However, if you do indeed have a 4.0 and end up doing well on the MCAT you will be in good position.

Lol well thanks for overlooking that. Like I said, I realize this - my thread is somewhat hypothetical at this point. Let me rephrase myself:

Will it make a significant difference that my BS is in RT rather than something like Bio, Chem, etc.?

And furthermore, how bad will it hurt me to take all my pre-reqs at a community college?

Again, anything is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, it does not matter at all what your BS is in.

Having all your prereqs at a community college will hurt you, but it does not ruin your chances completely.

Lol well thanks for overlooking that. Like I said, I realize this - my thread is somewhat hypothetical at this point. Let me rephrase myself:

Will it make a significant difference that my BS is in RT rather than something like Bio, Chem, etc.?

And furthermore, how bad will it hurt me to take all my pre-reqs at a community college?

Again, anything is appreciated.

In terms of title of degree, no. Titles of degrees are mostly irrelevant. I assume RTs do thousands of hours in clinical training though... that will help you quite a bit.

As far as community colleges go... if it's what you have to do then do it. It doesn't look as good as a regular 4-year school but as long as you knock your classes dead, you'll be okay.