Class of 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You guys are all lame for not dancing to He-Man with me.

I felt like a piece of my childhood was being torn away watching it.

I've read through the Allo threads where pretty much every med student tells you not to bring any reference science books with you to med school but have you guys seen/formed any different opinions on it? I have a couple books I just can't part with and the rest I feel like I can leave behind. Anyone know of a few books they're definitely keeping when they move? I can see how Anatomy books would be fine but what about other subjects?

I'm pretty open to ditching all of my textbooks. Except for maybe a couple of my engineering ones. (And I wish I hadn't lost this one so many moons ago. *sigh*)

Edit: Top for the first time in a while!!

Yeah, but you got top in the favorite songs thread in NT. :p

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I only skimmed the mattress talk earlier, but if nobody mentioned it get a mattress protector. It will keep out any dirt, spills, skin cells, and dust mites. You don't want a mattress that is 10x heavier due to dead skin cells and the mites eating them. That **** is nasty.

Also, jumbo plush pillow top matresses ftw!!

Edit: also, trio, try Sears for bedding. They have nice stuff at a decent price. BB&B is awesome, but at least twice as much.

Great...now y'all are scaring me into getting SOMETHING to protect my mattress..even though I've never had anything like that before. I guess you're right though, it kinda makes sense. Is a mattress protector just one of those plastic bags that goes around the mattress (they sell them at Target I think)....

Something like : Mattress Protector?

I feel like for a price of a mattress protector, I should just buy a pad and stick it in the bed--it'll do what you said, like absorb stuff so my bed doesn't get all gross?

Thanks for the Sears recommendation btw! :)

Great...now y'all are scaring me into getting SOMETHING to protect my mattress..even though I've never had anything like that before. I guess you're right though, it kinda makes sense. Is a mattress protector just one of those plastic bags that goes around the mattress (they sell them at Target I think)....

You only need a plastic mattress protector if you plan on wetting the bed, silly. :p A mattress pad is a little extra cushiony thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
You only need a plastic mattress protector if you plan on wetting the bed, silly. :p A mattress pad is a little extra cushiony thing.

"I don't want to sleep on the hide-a-bed with Fuller. If he has something to drink, he wets the bed."

Also, I only skimmed the mattress talk earlier, but if nobody mentioned it get a mattress protector. It will keep out any dirt, spills, skin cells, and dust mites. You don't want a mattress that is 10x heavier due to dead skin cells and the mites eating them. That **** is nasty.

Also, jumbo plush pillow top matresses ftw!!

Edit: also, trio, try Sears for bedding. They have nice stuff at a decent price. BB&B is awesome, but at least twice as much.

*confused*...totally just going to run out to Target and buy everything they have..and sleep on my foam mattress with my pillows..and sleep the new york nights away. lol.

The thing I liked earlier is a mattress pad, silly! That thing you linked is a mattress pad, too, but note that it says waterproof and has a mom with her kids on it? It's for bedwetters.

That said, I'm debating getting one that's waterproof in case my water breaks while I'm sleeping or something, even though most of the time that does NOT happen at the onset of labor. :scared:

I feel like for a price of a mattress protector, I should just buy a pad and stick it in the bed--it'll do what you said, like absorb stuff so my bed doesn't get all gross?

Thanks for the Sears recommendation btw! :)
Yep, something like what you found is good. The new protectors are breathable, but don't let moisture or skin cells pass through. With the new ones, you shouldn't feel it on the bed. The two reasons you should have one are, a) it will keep mites out of your mattress because they won't have any skin to eat, and b) if you spill on your mattress without a protector to save it, then you could void your warranty.

IMO, a mattress pad doesn't add any additional comfort or protection, assuming you have a nice pillowtop mattress.

BTW, the new mattress protectors go on like a fitted sheet. They aren't a bag that goes around the mattress.

Edit: My friend works for a furniture store and sells a lot of mattresses. I just bought three new mattresses from him.

I'm pretty open to ditching all of my textbooks. Except for maybe a couple of my engineering ones. (And I wish I hadn't lost this one so many moons ago. *sigh*)

Glad to see I'm not the only one clinging onto books I'm clearly not going to use during Med school. :smuggrin: I briefly "looked inside" the book you linked to see if I could understand anything....nope! Although there was a section about "good circuits" and "bad circuits". Sounds simple enough :cool:.

I completely understand the sentimental value though. My books are pretty nerdy but they're like my bibles. I actually keep both volumes in my car in case someone asks a question they can answer and I gotta whip 'em out :lame: (it's happened I swear!).

Why doesn't someone put a list together for Trio!! Like this:

1. Fitted sheet +flat sheet + pillow cases (should come in set together)
2. Mattress pad (just for extra cushion and some protection)
3. Duvet cover only (don't need the shams)
4. ???
5. Profit

I'm assuming you've got a duvet already and don't want additional blankets or comforter.

Which desk was that?
Picture+008.jpg

I like the contrast between the stainless steel and the faux-classical legs. Now the only stainless desks Ikea has have legs that look like the ones on cadaver carts, and I think I'll be spending enough time at tables that look like that.

I've read through the Allo threads where pretty much every med student tells you not to bring any reference science books with you to med school but have you guys seen/formed any different opinions on it? I have a couple books I just can't part with and the rest I feel like I can leave behind. Anyone know of a few books they're definitely keeping when they move? I can see how Anatomy books would be fine but what about other subjects?

My plan was to not take them with me--just try to reread quickly through some of them over the summer so that I'm sort of "in the zone" for biochem and such. It takes me a while to get in the swing of things once school starts again after a summer break...or a gap year of work...But obviously that plan lasted about 5 seconds and I have read like 1 page so far :thumbup: But, no, I can't see them being useful as references for med school-level classes...I'm going to pre-buy the review books I often hear mentioned in allo and use those as references.

Members don't see this ad :)
The thing I liked earlier is a mattress pad, silly! That thing you linked is a mattress pad, too, but note that it says waterproof and has a mom with her kids on it? It's for bedwetters.

That said, I'm debating getting one that's waterproof in case my water breaks while I'm sleeping or something, even though most of the time that does NOT happen at the onset of labor. :scared:

Lol, well I know what you linked me too, and I found it on Amazon, but Rhino was refering to a "mattress protector"

Yep, something like what you found is good. The new protectors are breathable, but don't let moisture or skin cells pass through. With the new ones, you shouldn't feel it on the bed. The two reasons you should have one are, a) it will keep mites out of your mattress because they won't have any skin to eat, and b) if you spill on your mattress without a protector to save it, then you could void your warranty.

IMO, a mattress pad doesn't add any additional comfort or protection, assuming you have a nice pillowtop mattress.

BTW, the new mattress protectors go on like a fitted sheet. They aren't a bag that goes around the mattress.

Edit: My friend works for a furniture store and sells a lot of mattresses. I just bought three new mattresses from him.

According to what I read on the link I posted, it sounds like what you said---I just never had one before, so I'm not really sure I "need one"...(bc I'm cheap)

Glad to see I'm not the only one clinging onto books I'm clearly not going to use during Med school. :smuggrin: I briefly "looked inside" the book you linked to see if I could understand anything....nope! Although there was a section about "good circuits" and "bad circuits". Sounds simple enough :cool:.

I completely understand the sentimental value though. My books are pretty nerdy but they're like my bibles. I actually keep both volumes in my car in case someone asks a question they can answer and I gotta whip 'em out :lame: (it's happened I swear!).

Why doesn't someone put a list together for Trio!! Like this:

1. Fitted sheet +flat sheet + pillow cases (should come in set together)
2. Mattress pad (just for extra cushion and some protection)
3. Duvet cover only (don't need the shams)
4. ???
5. Profit

I'm assuming you've got a duvet already and don't want additional blankets or comforter.

Thank you Torr...I actually have a list on Amazon

1) Sheet set: fitted sheet, flat sheet, four pillowcases-Target.com
2) Duvet from Ikea (Warmth rating 6)--debating whether I should spend 130 to get a "two in one comforter--warmth rating 3+1". It'll keep me warm when I need it to, and "not as warm" when I don't need it to, bc it's a two piece.
3) Duvet Cover for 50 bucks--grey colour from Target.com
4) Mattress from Costco.com
5) I don't know what kind of pillows to get; part of me wants to get foam pilllows to go with the mattress. Other part of me wants to be cheap.

I can't believe we've had a day long conversation about sheets and ****...I feel so embarassed by my lack of knowledge about the subject. It's like me talking about ....anything that someone SHOULD know lol.

I can't believe we've had a day long conversation about sheets and ****...I feel so embarassed by my lack of knowledge about the subject. It's like me talking about ....anything that someone SHOULD know lol.

I had to look up what a duvet cover is. And I honestly just care about the color of everything and that's pretty much it. But a gray one sounds like one I would want for myself

My plan was to not take them with me--just try to reread quickly through some of them over the summer so that I'm sort of "in the zone" for biochem and such. It takes me a while to get in the swing of things once school starts again after a summer break...or a gap year of work...But obviously that plan lasted about 5 seconds and I have read like 1 page so far :thumbup: But, no, I can't see them being useful as references for med school-level classes...I'm going to pre-buy the review books I often hear mentioned in allo and use those as references.

I tried to start reviewing anatomy with my flashcards but that didn't get far either. Yea, I agree with the purchasing some of the review books the Allo threads frequently mention.

2) Duvet from Ikea (Warmth rating 6)--debating whether I should spend 130 to get a "two in one comforter--warmth rating 3+1". It'll keep me warm when I need it to, and "not as warm" when I don't need it to, bc it's a two piece.

Wondering why I've never noticed the warmth rating system at IKEA before.

I go with the "cheap" pillows cause I've never used the foam ones. Maybe I should invest in one?

I tried to start reviewing anatomy with my flashcards but that didn't get far either. Yea, I agree with the purchasing some of the review books the Allo threads frequently mention.

I've never learned a single thing about anatomy except for when Cougs tele-diagnosed me with a runner's IL band injury (thumbs up, btw, cuz she was totally right). Everyone says that no amount of pre-studying will make a difference, but I kind of feel like anatomy is the one subject it could...and if anyone is behind in anatomy, I am.

Wondering why I've never noticed the warmth rating system at IKEA before.

I go with the "cheap" pillows cause I've never used the foam ones. Maybe I should invest in one?

I'm too scared to buy this crap because I realized that bedding alone will cost me (130+50+50)--just for ****ing sheets...not even pillows or mattress! Add that crap in and I'm well over 700 bucks, about as much as my bedroom furniture costs!

Yeah. But not with the sheets/pillow they have; with darker gray sheets and pillowcases, or maybe the navy ones I have now

Hmm, I'm sticking with white...idk why lol...probably bc it comes in the set.

Everyone says that no amount of pre-studying will make a difference, but I kind of feel like anatomy is the one subject it could...and if anyone is behind in anatomy, I am.

My goal was to just review musculoskeletal anatomy but I think I looked at 2 muscles somewhere in the head/neck area and can't remember which muscles those were to save my life! I'm sure we'll do fine without pre-studying. I was just being stubborn and overly ambitious.

I'm too scared to buy this crap because I realized that bedding alone will cost me (130+50+50)--just for ****ing sheets...not even pillows or mattress! Add that crap in and I'm well over 700 bucks, about as much as my bedroom furniture costs!

Hmm, I'm sticking with white...idk why lol...probably bc it comes in the set.

I know. Spending money has become really draining. You can always buy some really cheap Satin sheets (was gonna post it half joking but it actually got a decent rating).

I wanted to link it but don't know how to hide a link with text :(

Edit: Thanks, Sun! :)

Last edited:
My goal was to just review musculoskeletal anatomy but I think I looked at 2 muscles somewhere in the head/neck area and can't remember which muscles those were to save my life! I'm sure we'll do fine without pre-studying. I was just being stubborn and overly ambitious.

I know. Spending money has become really draining. You can always buy some really cheap Satin sheets (was gonna post it half joking but it actually got a decent rating).

I wanted to link it but don't know how to hide a link with text :(

Edit: Thanks, Sun! :)

LOL! I ran the figure by my mom, who didn't seem to mind too much about the 250 bucks that I'd be spending..so I think I'll be okay! Hopefully my daddy will be okay with it, since he pays the bills lol! Honestly though, thanks for the link. I'll try to find cheaper furnishings, but blech...I'm just so scared since my bedroom furnishings alone are topping 1K already (bed frame, mattress, office stuff, chest of drawers, etc...)

I could never, ever sleep on those things..I'd feel too "cheap" (in both senses of the word)

for future reference, I think it's

[url*=insert link here]text[/url*]. But remove all the asterisks
Or you can type the word(s) you want to turn into a hyperlink, highlight those, then click the "insert link" button :thumbup:

All this talk is making me stress about having enough cash to buy all the stuff for my apartment :(

I've never learned a single thing about anatomy except for when Cougs tele-diagnosed me with a runner's IL band injury (thumbs up, btw, cuz she was totally right). Everyone says that no amount of pre-studying will make a difference, but I kind of feel like anatomy is the one subject it could...and if anyone is behind in anatomy, I am.

I didn't learn anything about anatomy when I was in university either--well, I did learn some basic stuff about physiolgy, but **** if I remember any of it. I think I remember the scapula is in the back somewhere, and there's a humerus which is the bone b/w the elbow and the shoulder. The tibia is in the lower leg...and...that's all I've got. OH, the FEMUR is in the thigh region. Hence "femoral pulse"!

either some of the toe bones or some of the finger bones or both are called metatarsils. Yay! Look at us! Anatomy: we're doing it!

I feel a bit better now, thanks. I still feel like others will have a huge advantage over me in that subject, though, since it's the one subject it's possible to have an advantage in and I've never had it at all

either some of the toe bones or some of the finger bones or both are called metatarsils. Yay! Look at us! Anatomy: we're doing it!

I feel a bit better now, thanks. I still feel like others will have a huge advantage over me in that subject, though, since it's the one subject it's possible to have an advantage in and I've never had it at all
I loved the anatomy class I took, but it did focus on bone features and muscles with innervations and stuff. Apparently my school condenses the musculoskeletal system to a super short period of time... if I didn't already pretty much know that stuff from that class, I'd be seriously panicking.

Lol...yeah, my school never offered anatomy. I hesitate to admit that my brain doesn't even like anatomy. :(

You're right htose..metatarsals are the bones in the foot...Tibiofibula is somewhere in the leg, right? lol

I could never, ever sleep on those things..I'd feel too "cheap" (in both senses of the word)

Dude, it's made by Royal Opulence. Doesn't having the word Royal in the name make it not cheap?

Glad your parents are cool with the total cost!! :D

All this talk is making me stress about having enough cash to buy all the stuff for my apartment :(

Hopefully having some of us go through the purchasing process will mean we'll have some saving tips by the time you need to shop.

Lol. Having an advantage is great but it's not something to worry about IMO. I'm sure we all know people that did well in med school anatomy without any prior anatomy coursework. We're all going to work our butts off regardless.

You could always grab an anatomy coloring book and work through that for the next 2 months though!

Lol, well I know what you linked me too, and I found it on Amazon, but Rhino was refering to a "mattress protector"

According to what I read on the link I posted, it sounds like what you said---I just never had one before, so I'm not really sure I "need one"...(bc I'm cheap)

Thank you Torr...I actually have a list on Amazon

1) Sheet set: fitted sheet, flat sheet, four pillowcases-Target.com
3) Duvet Cover for 50 bucks--grey colour from Target.com
4) Mattress from Costco.com
5) I don't know what kind of pillows to get; part of me wants to get foam pilllows to go with the mattress. Other part of me wants to be cheap.

Regarding pillows, I recently bought 2 memory foam cluster pillows, and they are awesome. I highly recommend them. I got mine at costco, 2 pillows for $29.

Also, regarding sheets. You can usually find a decent "bed in a bag" for around $100. This includes a light comforter, fitted sheet, top sheet, 2 pillow cases, 2 shams, and a bed skirt. Personally, I thought sears had a better selection than the other stores I checked (nordstroms, Macy's, BB&B, walmart, target).

You could always grab an anatomy coloring book and work through that for the next 2 months though!

:laugh: My sister got me one for Christmas. Haven't opened it yet, but maybe I should once I quit my job!

Is it wrong that I was going to get one of these for Chicklet? Possibly to keep her quieter during my White Coat ceremony?

Also, the fibula's the smaller bone in the lower leg. You can't really feel it from the outside, at least nowhere near as easily as the tibia.

Story time! I broke both when I got hit by that car when I was 17. The fib was cracked straight across and my tibia was ALMOST in three pieces. The impact made a crack that split in two directions but didn't go all the way to the other side of the bone. They were actually amazed they didn't have to set it, but honestly, I think I might have done it myself trying to stand immediately after the car was moved away (it was pinning my foot). I tried to weight-bear on it and the MIDDLE of my shin wobbled. I was like Holy s*** that is broken! and hopped to the curb. Gah.

Last edited:
I un-feel better now :(
Haha, I was just talking about for my school! My school matches anatomy roughly to the lecture schedule, and there's a lot more to talk about for the digestive system than musculoskeletal, but there's so much fat and gunk to remove from the muscles in that short block of time while still learning all those names that sound the same. Ignore me, you're gonna do juuust fine Sun :)

Also, I caught a cold. This confuses me because I never get sick.

Is it wrong that I was going to get one of these for Chicklet? Possibly to keep her quieter during my White Coat ceremony?

Also, the fibula's the smaller bone in the lower leg. You can't really feel it from the outside, at least nowhere near as easily as the tibia.

Story time! I broke both when I got hit by that car when I was 17. The fib was cracked straight across and my tibia was ALMOST in three pieces. The impact made a crack that split in two directions but didn't go all the way to the other side of the bone. They were actually amazed they didn't have to set it, but honestly, I think I might have done it myself trying to stand immediately after the car was moved away (it was pinning my foot). I tried to weight-bear on it and the MIDDLE of my shin wobbled. I was like Holy s*** that is broken! and hopped to the curb. Gah.
gnarly

It was totally gnarly, dude. It was freaky, without a doubt. My husband saw it, too, the mid-shin wobble (we were dating back then).

I spent the next month and a half drinking copious amounts of milk and taking a calcium supplement every day and it worked. The doctor was legitimately surprised I'd healed well enough in 6 weeks to go right from the above-the-knee cast (talk about gnarly... my leg when that thing came off :scared:) to a cam walker, forgoing the below-the-knee cast entirely.

Regarding pillows, I recently bought 2 memory foam cluster pillows, and they are awesome. I highly recommend them. I got mine at costco, 2 pillows for $29.

Also, regarding sheets. You can usually find a decent "bed in a bag" for around $100. This includes a light comforter, fitted sheet, top sheet, 2 pillow cases, 2 shams, and a bed skirt. Personally, I thought sears had a better selection than the other stores I checked (nordstroms, Macy's, BB&B, walmart, target).

Hmm, I didn't want to buy those pillows because I didn't want to pack them into my luggage, but with the savings, I think I might! lol. Edit: Never mind, found it online...about the same as if I bought the two at Target, but I'm sure these are "better" than the ones at Target lol. IIs this what you found Rhino?

Regarding sheets, I've seen a lot of the bed in a bag things; my only concern would be the "warmth" of the comforter. I think I would prefer something that would "keep me warm" when it's cold out (winters in NYC with what I assume are drafty windows). Granted, I do have a heater in the room (for free!), so I don't know...*sigh* I don't want to do what I'm currently doing, which is having a winter comforter (thicker) and just a thinner comforter for the current weather.

:laugh: My sister got me one for Christmas. Haven't opened it yet, but maybe I should once I quit my job!

You definitely should. There won't be much time for coloring once med school starts :(.

Damn, GC. I've never broken any bones in my life so I always assume it's the most horrible pain imaginable. Nothing else bothers me like bone injuries.

Yikes, I can't imagine having that happen to me. Watch me say that now and then at some point, I fall down the stairs of our apartment with our groceries. Then my stairs won't be kosher! :(

You will be absolutely fine unless you are a Chihuahua.

Hmm, good point! Even with a bed in a bag, I think I'd still buy a duvet cover because I'm prissy like that...(just to keep it clean). I reallly am making my life much more difficult than it needs to be loll.

oh my god we're still talking about bedding? where are the men in this thread?

Best sheets: 800 thread count sheets from random kiosk in mall :p

Comforter: In Miami comforters are optional.

Option 1: Buy any comforter, sweat all night.
Option 2: Save money and don't buy a comforter, sweat all night anyway.

which body part would you replace, and with what?

i wouldn't mind have hands for feet. it'd be freaky and cool

Wait. You just took an existing part and modified it! If that works then I wanna add wings on my back. Like Archangel style

now I want that too. I would also like to replace any vestigial organs with some sort of nanotechnology that would do awesome and as yet undetermined things because my imagination is broken right now :p