Class of 2017.... how you doin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stomach bug has been going around the teaching hospital. I think it has crossed the parking lot...
Hadn't heard that yet... great...

Members don't see this ad.

Test done, now all that stands between me and Spring Break is one class and an optional histo lab. (Holding a histo slide) To attend or not to attend....that is the question!

Anyone else going to SAVMA symposium next week?

SO and I decided to buy a house instead of renting for three more years. It's turning out to be a somewhat stressful process that consumed half my break. Im super exited to have a house without a roomie though :) well, besides my SO.

Trouble is we can't decide whether to get a house in a neighborhood about,13-15 min with campus where the houses are newer, more updated, more spacious, less expensive, with larger fenced in yards OR in the neighborhoods that are 5-7 min from school that are older, need updates and fixing, smaller, less yard, closer together, and no basements with hardly any storage (but still really charming and cute).

Do I want convenience or more space and newer stuff? Hmmm....

Members don't see this ad :)
SO and I decided to buy a house instead of renting for three more years. It's turning out to be a somewhat stressful process that consumed half my break. Im super exited to have a house without a roomie though :) well, besides my SO.

Trouble is we can't decide whether to get a house in a neighborhood about,13-15 min with campus where the houses are newer, more updated, more spacious, less expensive, with larger fenced in yards OR in the neighborhoods that are 5-7 min from school that are older, need updates and fixing, smaller, less yard, closer together, and no basements with hardly any storage (but still really charming and cute).

Less expensive + nicer = well worth an extra ten minutes, imo. Plus... less money on maintenance and less likely to have crazy emergencies on the evening of exams. I say this as someone who rents like five minutes from her school, though. :p

Reactions: 1 user

At most, it will take you 10 extra minutes to get to school.. and the house is newer, updated, won't cost more $$ for repairs and is cheaper..... To me, this seems like an easy decision. 10 minutes is nothing compared to having to deal with repairing a house and paying more money on the house needing those repairs.

I had to make that same choice and decided to go for the newer, less expensive house that didn't need any work. The time I lose driving to class is worth it to live in the nicer, more family oriented neighborhood. I would recommend you consider resale value and ease of reselling it though, because sometimes those houses close to campus sell much more quickly due to location than a nicer house a bit farther away, at least in my town. You don't want a house you have trouble selling in the end. Congrats on the decision to buy!

Vet Ball is tomorrow night and I still haven't found a dress. :(

Anyone else have these spring formal type events?

Vet Ball is tomorrow night and I still haven't found a dress. :(

Anyone else have these spring formal type events?
We have a "vet prom" every semester as class fundraisers, which are somewhat formal..as formal as you can get on an island lol I haven't been to one yet but I definitely want to! They usually have a theme...this semester's was a masquerade/mardi gras prom

Less expensive + nicer = well worth an extra ten minutes, imo. Plus... less money on maintenance and less likely to have crazy emergencies on the evening of exams. I say this as someone who rents like five minutes from her school, though. :p
At most, it will take you 10 extra minutes to get to school.. and the house is newer, updated, won't cost more $$ for repairs and is cheaper..... To me, this seems like an easy decision. 10 minutes is nothing compared to having to deal with repairing a house and paying more money on the house needing those repairs.
I had to make that same choice and decided to go for the newer, less expensive house that didn't need any work. The time I lose driving to class is worth it to live in the nicer, more family oriented neighborhood. I would recommend you consider resale value and ease of reselling it though, because sometimes those houses close to campus sell much more quickly due to location than a nicer house a bit farther away, at least in my town. You don't want a house you have trouble selling in the end. Congrats on the decision to buy!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up going with the nicer farther away neighborhood. Just drove from the vet school to the house I liked in that neighborhood and it actually only took 12 minutes. It's right around the corner from my current apartment but not really any farther. I'm seeing that I may not really love the drive for my apt, but its worth it for the bigger house and yard :) I was sorta looking forward to being close and maybe being able to stop by home for lunch if I needed (to let the dogs out ect) but that's going to be an expensive choice....

I was slightly concerned about resale value in the newer neighborhood because the school district isn't all that, but from just this week looking at houses, 6/7 of them went on and then off the market in less than 5 days...Just need to make sure I can get a good price on a house! We're either going to sell it when I graduate or try to rent (possibly to vet students) for awhile after.

Also, this being my first home, I really don't know much in the way of upgrading and fixing things...haha. Probably be best if little to nothing needed work!
Thanks for all the extra input guys :)

Spring Break!!!!!!!!!!:soexcited: Now that I have that out of my system...... time to sleep....... :sleep:

We have a "vet prom" every semester as class fundraisers, which are somewhat formal..as formal as you can get on an island lol I haven't been to one yet but I definitely want to! They usually have a theme...this semester's was a masquerade/mardi gras prom

Neato! That would be lots of fun! :hardy:

Ours is Radiology themed this year, so black/white/gray only....

Lucky for me LBDs are still out in full force. whew.

Today is one of those days that I just don't want to do vet school anymore.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just one more exam stands in the way of spring break! Unfortunately, it is Immuno... and it is on Friday morning (for me).

Sigh. Last hours of Freedom before somehow getting through the last six weeks of first year. I studied next to zero and have a major phys exam and a parasite quiz on Tues, Path test on Friday etc. Seat of my pants will be worn out come mid-May.

Sigh. Last hours of Freedom before somehow getting through the last six weeks of first year. I studied next to zero and have a major phys exam and a parasite quiz on Tues, Path test on Friday etc. Seat of my pants will be worn out come mid-May.

I don't want it to be April. :(

April is nut-so for us too. I'm not quite sure how I will survive 9 exams, a presentation and an anatomy project.

Caffeine and snuggles from my pets is how I did it. Just picture that glorious morning the day after your last exam, when you wake up and realize you have 3.5 months of no classes, tests, or labs. Cherish that thought. You can do it!

Reactions: 5 users
Glad to see I'm not the only one...

It's looking like we're going to be in for a major storm Wednesday. The dramatic predictions include hurricane force winds and power outages for days on top of a decent amount of snow.

It's looking like we're going to be in for a major storm Wednesday. The dramatic predictions include hurricane force winds and power outages for days on top of a decent amount of snow.

I'm hoping for multiple snow days.

I am a horrible student.

Any Iowa or Auburn students here get the email about probationary accreditation?

I just saw it on the AVMA website--Western, Iowa, and Auburn. Wonder what happened :/

I find it weird that Western was just fully accredited last year and weren't scheduled for another site visit for a few years. I'll never understand the COE...

I find it weird that Western was just fully accredited last year and weren't scheduled for another site visit for a few years. I'll never understand the COE...
Yeah, that's the part that kind of sucks, in my opinion. Glad that we only had one deficiency though, while Auburn had a couple minor ones. Sorry Auburn :(

This is probably unprecedented, but I wonder what would happen to the students if a school ever did lose their accreditation. Highly unlikely to ever happen of course since it would be financial suicide for the school, but still interesting to think about.

This is probably unprecedented, but I wonder what would happen to the students if a school ever did lose their accreditation. Highly unlikely to ever happen of course since it would be financial suicide for the school, but still interesting to think about.

I actually asked this in an interview at a school that had a site visit scheduled during what would have been my first or second year. I'm pretty sure they told me that I would have essentially been "grandfathered in" and it wouldn't affect me, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I went to the town hall meeting about the probationary status last week. The administration is really on top of things and addressing the major concern very soon. It was just the way our curriculum is reviewed; right now the administration leaves it up to each department to review each subject as they are a bit closer to each one. But now they want us to have a more centralized review process, which will occur very soon. As for the minor concerns, the anatomy lab is getting an overhaul this summer (it was already planned) and some other steps are being taken to address the increased class size issues. I went into the meeting panicking about the status a little but came out feeling much better. Absolute disaster-time worst case scenario: we would still receive degrees but they wouldn't let any new classes in. Apparently Department of Education re-wrote some of its educational policies and they were retroactively applied to Auburn from the site visit in 2012. So yeah, I'm not too worried anymore.

Just like everyone else said, we were informed that the lack of accreditation wouldn't affect us since we're already in school. I wonder if it would affect the class of 2018, though. On the one hand I'm thinking "Yay, they're updating protocols and making sure schools are up to snuff!" On the other hand I'm thinking "Why my school? :("
Apparently probation isn't super uncommon for vet schools. My roommate said UC Davis was on probation in recent years because of changes to their teaching hospital.

If caloric intake was a measure of productivity, this would have been the most productive snow day ever. Since it's not, that makes this the least productive snow day ever.

Reactions: 1 users
Anatomy lab air quality... Hopefully they dont't notice our extremely moldy horse cadavers when they come for our site visit in two weeks...
Hey maybe that could be an excuse to get rid of them all early! I'm getting tired of spending half of lab scrubbing off mold and chopping off mold-covered/infested limbs (although we're running out of remaining limbs so that's probably no longer an option)

Only three more weeks of classes. I feel like I'm clinging to sanity by my finger nails.

I'm so overwhelmed by everything in my life, except school. I feel like I'm slowly spiraling out of control. The loss of control only feeds this spiral because I despise not being in control.

Path/Immuno exam tomorrow...and absolutely no study motivation. Blahhhhhhh.

Yup...same here. Did the unicef thing with my phone but now I'm on my laptop ;) haha
Maybe others here will be interested in this! If you go to this link on your phone you can help give clean water to those that need it! Pull the website up on your phone, click begin, and for every 10 minutes you keep your phone steady on your desk, 1 days worth of clean water will be donated. It's kept me off my phone while studying (not off SDN obviously, but I've gotta start somewhere ;)). I posted it on our class Facebook page and it's been pretty popular!

Derm exam tomorrow for the second years! I would rather take 100 dermatology exams than another path/immuno exam. Good luck firsties!

Maybe others here will be interested in this! If you go to this link on your phone you can help give clean water to those that need it! Pull the website up on your phone, click begin, and for every 10 minutes you keep your phone steady on your desk, 1 days worth of clean water will be donated. It's kept me off my phone while studying (not off SDN obviously, but I've gotta start somewhere ;)). I posted it on our class Facebook page and it's been pretty popular!
Downloaded. Loved. Shared to my class FB page.

I have forgotten how to school.

Reactions: 4 users
I have forgotten how to school.
So have I. Two full weeks of classes then four days of finals and I am free for two weeks. Unfortunately I started reading the Divergent series and started watching Scandal and they are both SO GOOD and I can't stop myself. Must study.

So have I. Two full weeks of classes then four days of finals and I am free for two weeks. Unfortunately I started reading the Divergent series and started watching Scandal and they are both SO GOOD and I can't stop myself. Must study.

Omg, Divergent is Great and Scandal is AMAZING!!!!
Im currently on the last book in the divergent series, just have to find time to finish it... Im all caught up on scandal except for last nights episode.... Which I will watch tonight lol

Just went to see Divergent last night and I liked it. I didn't even know it was a book series or I would have read it for sure, but I can't now because the movie ruins the scenes and characters I would have come up with while reading...although I wouldn't mind seeing the movie again so I can drool over Four a bit more....

Enjoy the first two books. The ending of the last made me mad.