Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All you guys are awesome :) Excited to hear all of your good news!!

@spockprime How long will you be there? And will you have a car? Depending on that I can vary my suggestions for you!

I will be hearing from a school in less than 24 hours too! They "accidentally" release decisions 6 hours early. So the stress is real!

Haha, also hearing from that school tomorrow, best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting. BBT is one of my favorite shows and I just read that article. I see the point it makes, and I agree that the show sometimes relies on simply naming a pop culture reference for laughs rather than really making a joke out of it. But I'd have to disagree that we're only supposed to relate to Penny and laugh at the guys. The they make just as much fun of Penny's "dumb blonde"ness as they do of the guys' nerdiness. I think that's the point of the show - when they meet, the characters start out so different that they might as well come from separate species, each with their own quirks and flaws that are funny in opposite ways. When they come together, they sort of balance each other out. Okay maybe I'm reading way too much into this... Everyone, go watch BBT!
Yea, I agree with you in that I don't think that viewers don't selectively identify with penny OR the scientists; we identify with both groups, at different times. I just found that, after a few seasons, there were more and more jokes making fun of "nerds for being nerds." Which, as a nerd, felt a little exhausting. THAT BEING SAID, I haven't watch the show in a long time (because I've been obsessing over P&R) and maybe my opinion has changed/maybe I was too sensitive at the time/maybe this article corrupted my young, innocent, impressionable mind.

Reactions: 2 users
Yea, I agree with you in that I don't think that viewers don't selectively identify with penny OR the scientists; we identify with both groups, at different times. I just found that, after a few seasons, there were more and more jokes making fun of "nerds for being nerds." Which, as a nerd, felt a little exhausting. THAT BEING SAID, I haven't watch the show in a long time (because I've been obsessing over P&R) and maybe my opinion has changed/maybe I was too sensitive at the time/maybe this article corrupted my young, innocent, impressionable mind.

I read that article a while ago and am glad you brought it up!

For me I never found BBT funny because it hit too close to home. I've studied and worked at Caltech, with many people who identify as high-functioning autists, and have a family member with AS. Unfortunately, due to my experiences, I read the some of the "geeks" on the show as crude caricatures of individuals with ASD.

Whenever I mention my experiences at Caltech, people will always stop and ask: "So was it like BBT? Was everyone nerdy, socially-awkward, and weird?" (These comments are never made in a positive light). In BBT, the characters are something to direct laughter, scorn, and incredulity at. I found it hard to watch this show with friends, listening to them berate and mock the "geeks." None of them viewed Sheldon with any sympathy... and yet when they would meet my family member they'd remark on how much they reminded them of Sheldon.

It bothers me especially because now, instead of recognising how wide and multifaceted the autism spectrum is, people are lured into the trap of prescribing preset characters to anyone they meet with ASD. "Oh, you have autism; ergo, you must be like Sheldon/Sherlock/Rain Man."

I don't fault anyone for liking the show, I'd just encourage them to me conscious of how certain characters are portrayed. But then again, I just may be too sensitised... it's hard to find something that won't rub someone the wrong way. In the same vein, I know many people who have had family member experience incarceration and cannot stand the rampant inaccuracy in Orange is the New Black. :shrug:

Wow. That was rambly. Time to step away from the keyboard...

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)

For me I never found BBT funny because it hit too close to home. I've studied and worked at Caltech, with many people who identify as high-functioning autists, and have a family member with AS. Unfortunately, due to my experiences, I read the some of the "geeks" on the show as crude caricatures of individuals with ASD.

Whenever I mention my experiences at Caltech, people will always stop and ask: "So was it like BBT? Was everyone nerdy, socially-awkward, and weird?" (These comments are never made in a positive light). In BBT, the characters are something to direct laughter, scorn, and incredulity at. I found it hard to watch this show with friends, listening to them berate and mock the "geeks." None of them viewed Sheldon with any sympathy... and yet when they would meet my family member they'd remark on how much they reminded them of Sheldon.

It bothers me especially because now, instead of recognising how wide and multifaceted the autism spectrum is, people are lured into the trap of prescribing preset characters to anyone they meet with ASD. "Oh, you have autism; ergo, you must be like Sheldon/Sherlock/Rain Man."

I don't fault anyone for liking the show, I'd just encourage them to me conscious of how certain characters are portrayed. But then again, I just may be too sensitised... it's hard to find something that won't rub someone the wrong way. In the same vein, I know many people who have had family member experience incarceration and cannot stand the rampant inaccuracy in Orange is the New Black. :shrug:

An eloquent and informative post! I agree with all of what you've said here!

Enjoy JHU!!! I am so excited to read your impression, especially after @onceawolverine's wonderful one :D

Hello fellow Class of 2019ers!!! (well hopefully)...How's everyone doing tonight??

Reactions: 1 user
Hello fellow Class of 2019ers!!! (well hopefully)...How's everyone doing tonight??

Hello!! Welcome!! :) @researchismymiddlename gave a pretty accurate description :p Also I just finished last season finale for Parks & Rec!! Gaaaah so good!!!!!

How are you?! Are you also on the super-anxious-for-October-15 train?

@researchismymiddlename @sunflower18 similar boat! Prepping for upcoming interviews, got to get out and play perhaps my last round of golf for the season with a few friends earlier. Aside from my atrocious score, it was a good time! Yes, I am anxious for the 15th! However, I don't think my decisions will come until a little after that, since it has not been very long since my most recent interview. But I am excited for everyone else on SDN who may find out their future MD alma-mater on Wednesday!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! More awareness is better for everyone.
And thank you @onceawolverine, for linking that article!

All you guys are awesome :) Excited to hear all of your good news!!

@spockprime How long will you be there? And will you have a car? Depending on that I can vary my suggestions for you!

I will be hearing from a school in less than 24 hours too! They "accidentally" release decisions 6 hours early. So the stress is real!

I'll be there for 4 days! Unfortunately I will not have a car, but I walk at crazy speeds and am ready to dive into the public transportation system as needed! I welcome any suggestions you might have (I'll be staying in the downtown area, around the 16th Street Mall), thank you!

@researchismymiddlename @sunflower18 similar boat! Prepping for upcoming interviews, got to get out and play perhaps my last round of golf for the season with a few friends earlier. Aside from my atrocious score, it was a good time! Yes, I am anxious for the 15th! However, I don't think my decisions will come until a little after that, since it has not been very long since my most recent interview. But I am excited for everyone else on SDN who may find out their future MD alma-mater on Wednesday!

Now that is a scary and exciting thought! Holy crap! Good luck with your upcoming decisions as well!

Reactions: 3 users
I'll be there for 4 days! Unfortunately I will not have a car, but I walk at crazy speeds and am ready to dive into the public transportation system as needed! I welcome any suggestions you might have (I'll be staying in the downtown area, around the 16th Street Mall), thank you!

Now that is a scary and exciting thought! Holy crap! Good luck with your upcoming decisions as well!
Ah bummer you can't see the mountains much! Well you have to see the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. In terms of restaurants, The Old Spaghetti Factory and D'Corazon are both phenomenal. I will try to think of more!

Ah bummer you can't see the mountains much! Well you have to see the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory. In terms of restaurants, The Old Spaghetti Factory and D'Corazon are both phenomenal. I will try to think of more!

I know, I really wish I could stay for several weeks. It would be great to do a Colorado, Oregon, and Washington trip at some point. Oh those look great, thank you for the suggestions!! I'm sold at chocolate factory...they might have trouble getting me out of the store. And we've got an old spaghetti factory here as well -- they're always a lot of fun to dine in! Thanks!

I know, I really wish I could stay for several weeks. It would be great to do a Colorado, Oregon, and Washington trip at some point. Oh those look great, thank you for the suggestions!! I'm sold at chocolate factory...they might have trouble getting me out of the store. And we've got an old spaghetti factory here as well -- they're always a lot of fun to dine in! Thanks!

PNW pride!!! We would love to have you visit! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone else have knots in your stomach as big as I do???

pretty sure no maritime person can untangle this one...

Tomorrow's the big day and there is no doubt in my mind that it'll be a great day for many of you!

I just want to thank everyone here for making this whole application process so much easier for me. As a non-science major who barely knows anyone from my school applying to med school, this really has been a great place to obtain useful information and find people going through the same thing I am going through. You all are such wonderful and supportive people.

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!!

Got an email from my internship supervisor over the summer and BAM it's an NYT article quoting a report that he and I put out a week ago. It's really cool seeing your own name in a legit newspaper. :D :D :D :D :D :cigar:

Reactions: 7 users
You are all so incredibly talented and kind and will all make phenomenal physicians! Just wishing you all the BEST of news tonight/tomorrow and in the coming weeks!!! I'm so proud of everyone and I can't wait to see where everyone gets accepted!!! :highfive:

Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone tried airbnb to find a place to stay before interviews? What is it like?

Has anyone tried airbnb to find a place to stay before interviews? What is it like?
Worked out great! I used it down in LA and found it far more relaxing and comfortable than a hotel. For the same price as a cheap hotel, I was in a very nice (far nicer than my own) apartment with kitchen, living room, and bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub which I of course used to relax prior to the interview haha. Best of luck.

I airBnB'd for my Vanderbilt interview – they were a husband and wife pair of NPs that worked at Vandy and they stuffed me to the brim with free homemade meals and Tennessee whiskey. (They gave me the master bedroom! And complimentary fancy Moroccan argan oil shampoo!). To top it off, the price was super cheap compared to the surrounding hotels ($70 per night) and worlds better in quality. I can't recommend it enough. If anyone's out to Nashville, I'd love to pass their AirBnB info on.

I AirBnB'd before in Europe and had a grand time, but this was my first time in the US.

I airBnB'd for my Vanderbilt interview – they were a husband and wife pair of NPs that worked at Vandy and they stuffed me to the brim with free homemade meals and Tennessee whiskey. (They gave me the master bedroom! And complimentary fancy Moroccan argan oil shampoo!). To top it off, the price was super cheap compared to the surrounding hotels ($70 per night) and worlds better in quality. I can't recommend it enough. If anyone's out to Nashville, I'd love to pass their AirBnB info on.

I AirBnB'd before in Europe and had a grand time, but this was my first time in the US.

Wow yes I want their info! Hahaha.

Worked out great! I used it down in LA and found it far more relaxing and comfortable than a hotel. For the same price as a cheap hotel, I was in a very nice (far nicer than my own) apartment with kitchen, living room, and bathroom with a Jacuzzi tub which I of course used to relax prior to the interview haha. Best of luck.

Sounds super nice. So how do you book? Can you do it online or do you have to do it through the phone app?
Edit: haha I think I mixed it up with the taxi apps but it looks like online is the normal.

Long shot here...
but does anyone have a list of schools that release decisions at 12AM?
Thanks in advance!

Long shot here...
but does anyone have a list of schools that release decisions at 12AM?
Thanks in advance!

The only one I can remember at the moment is UMich (I think...?). No idea when my Oct 15th schools will ping me. :scared: Tomorrow will be full panic mode.

Good luck!

The only one I can remember at the moment is UMich (I think...?). No idea when my Oct 15th schools will ping me. :scared: Tomorrow will be full panic mode.

Good luck!
I'm staying off SDN until I hear something! Don't want to make myself panic more than needed.

Haven't been here in a while. Hope this thread blows up with good news tomorrow :)

Also, UW finally gave me my interview date. 11/5 ... 3 weeks to prepare. Good enough~

Oh dear, the nerves have finally hit me. I was wondering when this was going to happen.

This is making me panic haha
Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 1.54.45 PM.png
The nerves are real. But I get 2 more shots tomorrow at my top choices so not all will be lost!

Oh dear, the nerves have finally hit me. I was wondering when this was going to happen.
Ahh I was just thinking the same thing! Yeee hopefully nothing some Ben & Jerry's won't fix when I get home tonight

But sincerely, looking forward to this thread blowing up tomorrow and through the end of this cycle. You all are some of the most hardworking and genuine folks out there and deserve nothing but the best!

Lol about a minute after I posted that I got the waitlist email.

NOOOOOOO :cryi: What school is this?

At least you have tons more to hear from – and plenty of more interviews still to come. If it's any consolation, I'm sure everyone in this thread is going to fall victim to some sort of waitlist.... it's just the nature of the game. Sending you lots of positive vibes. Have a brilliant time gallivanting through Burlington with Sunflower! :luck::turtle::luck::turtle:

NOOOOOOO :cryi: What school is this?

At least you have tons more to hear from – and plenty of more interviews still to come. If it's any consolation, I'm sure everyone in this thread is going to fall victim to some sort of waitlist.... it's just the nature of the game. Sending you lots of positive vibes. Have a brilliant time gallivanting through Burlington with Sunflower! :luck::turtle::luck::turtle:
Buffalo! But they accept most people off the waitlist so it is a good sign!

Thank you! Super excited to go there! Hoping you hear good news from Sinai soon!

Thank you! Super excited to go there! Hoping you hear good news from Sinai soon!

Oh, sneaky Buffalo... playing fast and loose with the AAMC rules. The hope is still alive (though I'm sure you'll be swimming in offers long before Buffalo touches its WL). You're hearing back from Colorado tomorrow, correct?

Oh good god that'd be an absolute dream. No idea when they will let us know... it could be any time in the next two weeks. :arghh: The uncertainty is painful.

Oh, sneaky Buffalo... playing fast and loose with the AAMC rules. The hope is still alive (though I'm sure you'll be swimming in offers long before Buffalo touches its WL). You're hearing back from Colorado tomorrow, correct?

Oh good god that'd be an absolute dream. No idea when they will let us know... it could be any time in the next two weeks. :arghh: The uncertainty is painful.
Yeah they are sneaky. I love it! I hear from Tulane definitely and Colorado if I am accepted in this batch!

That would be great. Although I'm positive you will be in somewhere amazing shortly :)

You're awesome and brilliant and they are missing out by not accepting you outright! But I have full confidence you'll get great offers tomorrow and in weeks to come :)

I'm excited for Vermont too! And so excited for everyone to hear back from their schools!! I'm not nearly as panicked right now as I thought I would be. I've come to a calm understanding and acceptance with the fact that waitlists are not at all bad, and that I will more than likely be hanging out on a few until spring. That makes tomorrow much less stressful for me!

It's okay guys. Screw Buffalo...freeze your balls off there

Or tits, I guess, if you have those on you instead..

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow! I unfortunately have to endure my interview day with a poorly timed cold. :(

Reactions: 4 users
Wishing you all the best for tomorrow! I unfortunately have to endure my interview day with a poorly timed cold. :(
Soup and OJ!! GL on your interview tomorrow! I am sure you will "Ace" it :p :D!

Reactions: 4 users

Won't be needing no lousy WL, I'm sure you will get plenty of acceptances to choose from!! :xf::luck::xf:

Good luck to everyone hearing tomorrow or sometime this week! You'll all do great!

Reactions: 6 users
:ninja: @sunflower18 UCLA?? You can't be stopped.... My God you're killing it! So excited for you:)

:ninja: @sunflower18 UCLA?? You can't be stopped.... My God you're killing it! So excited for you:)

Pfffft look who's talking!!! You're incredible!! But thank you so much, aahhh :) I'm crazy excited too! I can't wait to visit California!

Pfffft look who's talking!!! You're incredible!! But thank you so much, aahhh :) I'm crazy excited too! I can't wait to visit California!
giphy.gif

Please tell everyone your best friend (No Limits) made you apply there!:p

This made my day!! Congratulations, @sunflower18!!!
View attachment 186199
And the crystal ball reveals more good fortune coming your way!!!
(You know how much I love the California schools :D)

I agree with @claduva94 -- these pictures are fantastic, oh man!!! I love it!!

Thank you so much for the kind words!! :D I hope you get California love in a year or two :) You deserve it!!

This is proving my point about the pictures. How the hell do you do it?

But seriously. Congrats @sunflower18 ! All y'all seriously have no limits! Very impressed!

:) You're awesome. Thanks again!!

giphy.gif

Please tell everyone your best friend (No Limits) made you apply there!:p

Hahaha that is the cutest gif ever! Yes it's true, my best friend @No Limits is wholly responsible for my II :) He convinced me to apply to UCLA earlier this year! Thanks so much for believing in me from the start!

Reactions: 5 users