Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's Friday in Manhattan :laugh:
14-baddiewinkle.w245.h368.2x.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

OH MY GOD!!! You guys are so sweet to me :happy: :love:

WAIT. @researchismymiddlename GOT INTO MAYO?

View attachment 187032

CONGRATULATIONS to you and to @hellanutella and @No Limits and everyone else who got good news this week!

Don't know how I did it, but THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :D Congratulations to you too!!! You've been racking up acceptances while I wasn't looking! Look at you Mister 2019-star!!! :nono: LOL, kidding. I'm so happy for you!! @hellanutella is right, you are going to have a TOUGH time in April :D I hope to see you again at Pittsburgh second look if you decide to come :love:

I am so happy I got into Rochester on 10/16, the day after the earliest date I could have heard back. Absolutely fell in love with the school. Anyplace that calls itself the liberal arts of medical schools has already got a lot going in its favor, and I was so impressed with their supportive and individualized approach.

I'm still in a daze, frankly. Can't believe I'm actually going to do this! Rochester class of 2019! It's a long way from home on the west coast, but I've had to move far and wide for school already. Of course, now I have zero motivation to try to find a job until summer. Maybe it's time to go travel. I've been thinking about South America...

Congratulations!!! Isn't it amazing?!?

HOLY MAYO, @researchismymiddlename! This is amazing news and I am so glad that your hard work has paid off! Now all you need to do is relax until med school starts up. Are you pretty much set on matriculating there? (Even though I don't know you in IRL, I want to say that you'd be a sure fit for Mayo).

cinco-de-mayo.gif.jpg

(And a groan-worthy pun just because).

And because I missed it, another big shoutout to @onceawolverine who is going to have some really, really hard decisions to make this April!

Thanks so very much @hellanutella!!!! Love the pun ;) Out of my interviews so far, it's definitely my top choice!! I could really thrive in Mayo and be very happy there, but I'm still hoping to explore a bit more :p Some things people in real life have said make me want to see what other programs have to offer, especially in the basic science realm... you see, my MD PhD research advisor (whose opinion I typically respect a lot) just said "I don't remember the last time a Nature paper came out of Mayo," but my perspective is that I'm not going to medical school to rack up more papers. I want to be the best doctor possible and I think Mayo will do an amazing job in that respect. I will find the opportunities wherever I go, and Mayo is full of them! Besides, they prolly get out a ton of NEJM and Lancet because clinical research is really their stomping ground. I would be very very happy, honored and proud to be a Mayo Class of 2019 graduate!

But I will definitely make it to all the second looks I have available because I want to meet you all. I've already met @sunflower18 and @onceawolverine and @BengaliBrat, but you, @hellanutella and @FriendlyFH are next on my list people I'd like to meet. If I am lucky enough to be accepted, I also want to give Cornell a fair chance because MSK is too much to pass up :D I know this response probably sounds diplomatic but I just want to play all the cards I have been given. I'm lucky to have a school that I see no cons with, where I can be truly comfortable, and truly thrive, and that is Mayo Medical School.

The bitter cold here in Iowa has me a little worried what further north will be like but I'll put on my big girl pants and tough it up :D Besides, what's 3 feet of snow when we get 1.5 feet here easily? :D

http://nj1015.com/the-true-story-of-sinko-de-mayo-according-to-big-joe-henry/

@researchismymiddlename I'm so happy for you. I was expecting you to be the one on here to get in outright (since statistically only one of us would). You are beyond sweet and awesome and totally deserve this! So wonderful :) Don't freeze too much up there!!!

So glad everyone has so many fantastic options!!!!! Excited for all of you. Maybe the whole NYC group will happen!!!

Oh man!!! I doubted that so much, because 1) Mayo is extremely selective, and 2) when it comes down to the nitty gritty I don't think I measure up to be accepted outright (cue @sunflower18's vocal negation of that statement, I can always count on her to believe in me :D) but I am so so so happy, relieved and plain honored to be given this opportunity.

Your compliments made me blush :oops: Thank you :happy: I love you guys!! And see what I wrote to @hellanutella about the winter, lol!

Funniest article ever!!! If @sunflower18 and you get into Mayo, then it will instantly skyrocket in my eyes as being the perfect option for me! I really dearly hope we get to meet this cycle! You're helpful, funny and so accomplished!!! And yes, the NYC group makes me also hold on to Cornell :D

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OH MY GOD!!! You guys are so sweet to me :happy: :love:

Don't know how I did it, but THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :D Congratulations to you too!!! You've been racking up acceptances while I wasn't looking! Look at you Mister 2019-star!!! :nono: LOL, kidding. I'm so happy for you!! @hellanutella is right, you are going to have a TOUGH time in April :D I hope to see you again at Pittsburgh second look if you decide to come :love:

Congratulations!!! Isn't it amazing?!?

Thanks so very much @hellanutella!!!! Love the pun ;) Out of my interviews so far, it's definitely my top choice!! I could really thrive in Mayo and be very happy there, but I'm still hoping to explore a bit more :p Some things people in real life have said make me want to see what other programs have to offer, especially in the basic science realm... you see, my MD PhD research advisor (whose opinion I typically respect a lot) just said "I don't remember the last time a Nature paper came out of Mayo," but my perspective is that I'm not going to medical school to rack up more papers. I want to be the best doctor possible and I think Mayo will do an amazing job in that respect. I will find the opportunities wherever I go, and Mayo is full of them! Besides, they prolly get out a ton of NEJM and Lancet because clinical research is really their stomping ground. I would be very very happy, honored and proud to be a Mayo Class of 2019 graduate!

But I will definitely make it to all the second looks I have available because I want to meet you all. I've already met @sunflower18 and @onceawolverine and @BengaliBrat, but you, @hellanutella and @FriendlyFH are next on my list people I'd like to meet. If I am lucky enough to be accepted, I also want to give Cornell a fair chance because MSK is too much to pass up :D I know this response probably sounds diplomatic but I just want to play all the cards I have been given. I'm lucky to have a school that I see no cons with, where I can be truly comfortable, and truly thrive, and that is Mayo Medical School.

The bitter cold here in Iowa has me a little worried what further north will be like but I'll put on my big girl pants and tough it up :D Besides, what's 3 feet of snow when we get 1.5 feet here easily? :D

Oh man!!! I doubted that so much, because 1) Mayo is extremely selective, and 2) when it comes down to the nitty gritty I don't think I measure up to be accepted outright (cue @sunflower18's vocal negation of that statement, I can always count on her to believe in me :D) but I am so so so happy, relieved and plain honored to be given this opportunity.

Your compliments made me blush :oops: Thank you :happy: I love you guys!! And see what I wrote to @hellanutella about the winter, lol!

Funniest article ever!!! If @sunflower18 and you get into Mayo, then it will instantly skyrocket in my eyes as being the perfect option for me! I really dearly hope we get to meet this cycle! You're helpful, funny and so accomplished!!! And yes, the NYC group makes me also hold on to Cornell :D
Long post almost without grammatical mistakes. Writer being a writer. :bow:
We all probably gonna bump into each other one way or another, there is second look, conference, residency matching, random "casual" encounters...:highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
Long post almost without grammatical mistakes. Writer being a writer. :bow:
We all probably gonna bump into each other one way or another, there is second look, conference, residency matching, random "casual" encounters...:highfive:

LOL, isn't it a wonder?! I was so excited writing this post to thank all of these amazing folks, and I always make a typo because my fingers fly around funnily, but miraculously, this post is good! :D

Consider all the posts in the past couple pages "liked". Ain't nobody got time to like every post individually.

Reactions: 8 users
Wow an acceptance at Mayo is incredible! It must feel great to get into your top choice.

I have my interview at Weill soon (my top choice for years now) and I really hope I am able to knock it out of the park.

Reactions: 5 users
LOL, isn't it a wonder?! I was so excited writing this post to thank all of these amazing folks, and I always make a typo because my fingers fly around funnily, but miraculously, this post is good! :D
Oh please, your posts are usually impeccable!

Btw, have you looked at these threads? (@sunflower18 and others may also find them informative)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/faq-updated-2-20-13.674353/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rad-onc-rankings.42456/

I'm actually trying to dig up old Mayo match lists for you. It doesn't hurt to see where their past students have matched.

[URL="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-match-lists.991281/#post-13813342"]2013 Match Lists[/URL]
[URL="http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2012-match-lists.897848/page-7#post-12607276"]2012 Match Lists[/URL]

Reactions: 1 users
You need to look up mayo match lists? Why lol? It's mayo...

Reactions: 1 user
Oh please, your posts are usually impeccable!

Btw, have you looked at these threads? (@sunflower18 and others may also find them informative)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/faq-updated-2-20-13.674353/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rad-onc-rankings.42456/

I'm actually trying to dig up old Mayo match lists for you. It doesn't hurt to see where their past students have matched.

[URL='http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-match-lists.991281/#post-13813342']2013 Match Lists[/URL]
[URL='http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2012-match-lists.897848/page-7#post-12607276']2012 Match Lists[/URL]

Aww man, you're such a sweetheart!!! When I interviewed, the students said everyone matched where they wanted to match (their top choices), and a lot of them match back into Mayo.

Wow an acceptance at Mayo is incredible! It must feel great to get into your top choice.

I have my interview at Weill soon (my top choice for years now) and I really hope I am able to knock it out of the park.

It does! Such an honor and relief!! I hope you rock your Cornell interview out of the park! I loved the school, and I loved my interviewers. I just got nervous about the living situation, but maybe when I have a residency income, I may become more comfortable in NYC if I have the priviledge of matching into MSK :D Good luck!!!

Reactions: 2 users
So it seems like if I want to get into Mayo I have to get a PhD in a bit under two years.

Hmmpfh.

So it seems like if I want to get into Mayo I have to get a PhD in a bit under two years.

Hmmpfh.

LOL! I had no idea what Mayo wanted before going into my interview, but after speaking with the current students and interacting with fellow applicants that have interviewed there, they are really looking for passionate folks. Whether it's about humanities, cancer, health policy, you name it -- it's about finding your calling as a pre-med to do unique, remarkable things.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL! I had no idea what Mayo wanted before going into my interview, but after speaking with the current students and interacting with fellow applicants that have interviewed there, they are really looking for passionate folks. Whether it's about humanities, cancer, health policy, you name it -- it's about finding your calling as a pre-med to do unique, remarkable things.
Passion is certainly what they are known for. Congratulations :)
Also, your first MCAT was at 14? wat.

There are some that are a few standard deviations above the rest. She's one of them.
It's amazing.

You will do great things. I hope we stay in touch enough to know who you are as you do them.

As an aside, my first interview today was fun. I enjoyed it a lot. I want more!

There are some that are a few standard deviations above the rest. She's one of them.
It's amazing.

You will do great things. I hope we stay in touch enough to know who you are as you do them.

Yup, she's definitely on another level. Actually, it's more like a stratosphere.

I'm happy your interview went well!

Yup, she's definitely on another level. Actually, it's more like a stratosphere.

Perfect way to describe @researchismymiddlename :biglove: Although I'd be so happy to go to Mayo with her, there's no way I can measure up to that level of brilliance, so I'm certainly not expecting to get in even off the waitlist at Mayo. I'm just happy to have even been considered. I'm incredibly grateful for the other opportunities I have as well :) All is good!!!!

"We're super collaborative. There's a facebook group where everyone shares notes after every lecture"

"Yeah, the deans are very accessible; they have a total open-door policy"

"Rotations are great (so I hear; I'm just a first year after all), but you get to see tons of neat cases from the local indigent population and the regional referral base"

"We have an impressive match list with consistently above-average STEP-1 scores. Residencies LOVE our program!"

"Interdisciplinary"

At virtually every interview, we spend time sitting around the admissions office round-table, and I might be the one to make a joke about how "they all blend together". (tip: don't say this line mid-interview with the vice-dean of admissions. You'll regret it like I do).

I swear, if I hear one more clueless first-year say "OMG but we're so goddamned collaborative with our facebook group, but I don't know shi*t about clinical rotations yet" ...

The moral of this rant:

If you interview at a school where you get the chance to speak sincerely with 3rd or 4th year students, do take advantage of the opportunity. It is rarer than you might think.

Perfect way to describe @researchismymiddlename :biglove: Although I'd be so happy to go to Mayo with her, there's no way I can measure up to that level of brilliance, so I'm certainly not expecting to get in even off the waitlist at Mayo. I'm just happy to have even been considered. I'm incredibly grateful for the other opportunities I have as well :) All is good!!!!
You and @claduva94 also belong at Mayo, Sunflower!! Sadly, the school has a tiny class, but there's still time!
And of course, there's also UCLA :D

@researchismymiddlename got into Mayo?? Mayo really hit the jackpot!! I'm hoping Claduva and Sunflower get to join you over there:xf:

I'm so happy for you!! This clearly calls for a dance party

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

and for you Taylor Swift fans ;)
giphy.gif

Reactions: 8 users
there's no way I can measure up to that level of brilliance
Your MDapps says otherwise;) Don't get me wrong, Researchismymiddlename is a living legend but you're a bad ass too:)

I have to say, I hear people talk all the time about how everyone on SDN is neurotic and unpleasant....But I have had such a pleasant experience since joining! Everyone is very very supportive, trying to help each other get through the emotional roller coaster that is the application process. I mean, why wouldn't we though? We'll be physician colleagues in the future, so why wouldn't we be supportive of each other now? And we are, because medical applicants know how to maximize efficiency. ;) Thank you to everyone for all of your kind and supportive words, feedback, advice, and overall happiness! I love optimistic people! Cheers to the class of 2019!!!

Reactions: 9 users
I have to say, I hear people talk all the time about how everyone on SDN is neurotic and unpleasant....But I have had such a pleasant experience since joining! Everyone is very very supportive, trying to help each other get through the emotional roller coaster that is the application process. I mean, why wouldn't we though? We'll be physician colleagues in the future, so why wouldn't we be supportive of each other now? And we are, because medical applicants know how to maximize efficiency. ;) Thank you to everyone for all of your kind and supportive words, feedback, advice, and overall happiness! I love optimistic people! Cheers to the class of 2019!!!
Oh, we're crazy neurotic and on occasion backhanded. We just aren't as unpleasant as other boards make us out to be :p

"We're super collaborative. There's a facebook group where everyone shares notes after every lecture"

"Yeah, the deans are very accessible; they have a total open-door policy"

"Rotations are great (so I hear; I'm just a first year after all), but you get to see tons of neat cases from the local indigent population and the regional referral base"

"We have an impressive match list with consistently above-average STEP-1 scores. Residencies LOVE our program!"

"Interdisciplinary"

At virtually every interview, we spend time sitting around the admissions office round-table, and I might be the one to make a joke about how "they all blend together". (tip: don't say this line mid-interview with the vice-dean of admissions. You'll regret it like I do).

I swear, if I hear one more clueless first-year say "OMG but we're so goddamned collaborative with our facebook group, but I don't know shi*t about clinical rotations yet" ...

The moral of this rant:

If you interview at a school where you get the chance to speak sincerely with 3rd or 4th year students, do take advantage of the opportunity. It is rarer than you might think.

So true.

Now we know how the schools feel like when they ready thousands of app that are essentially interchangeable. And why it is important to find your own unique story.

I appreciate the schools for sending their (often the best) 4th out to do the tour (WashU/Pitt did a phenomen job) . The euthusiam of first and second years are great but they are mostly useless and often have harder time speaking about their schools justifiably and convincingly. One of M2s on a tour yesterday said he doesn't like the early clinical exposure--he'd not rather "not juggle different things" and "it was irrelevant to his study". Really? You only have 1 clinic per week. I think he'll probably change his mind later on as he progress further

In another school, the dean finally got the hospital to agree to let the applicants in to have tour after many years, the two M1s didn't end up taking us there and when asked they stared at each other and cutely said "we honestly don't know where to go and what to show you guys" can't blame them...

Last edited:
Your MDapps says otherwise;) Don't get me wrong, Researchismymiddlename is a living legend but you're a bad ass too:)
@sunflower18, you also have intangibles that are much needed in this field. Your future med school will be very fortunate to have you!
Yes. Let's take a moment to laugh at the absurdity of her modesty...:laugh::laugh::roflcopter::roflcopter: :rofl::rofl:To get an interview at UCLA, Mayo, CCLCM, NYU, Brown and so many others you have to be pretty damn stellar. Not brilliant my a**.

I am not at all surprised by the success of anyone on here because y'all are so nice and amazing! And modest to a fault ;)

@No Limits and @hellanutella into Sinai?!?!?!??! WOWOWOW!!!! That's amazing!!!

And awwww I'm in tears, just got the phone call in addition to the voicemail (the bleeping lab blocked my oiriginal phone call) and I cried on the phone and I'm so so so so happy! Like on cloud 9 happy! This is the best day ever!!!! I never went into this cycle thinking that I would fall in love with Mayo as I did, and after my visit I was deeply in love :D

@sunflower18 you're amazing and you are just the sweetest person ever. Thanks for making my SDN experience so enjoyable, and I know that I could never have found this community without following you! I <3 you guys, and especially you @sunflower18! Have a GREAT weekend folks!!!!!
I am so, so, so happy for you--and I congratulate Mayo on having made a wise choice. I can't imagine someone making a greater contribution--and a greater commitment--than you will. May you be blessed and continue to be a blessing!! HURRAH!!!!!

Hmmpfh.
And at the age of, like, six!! :joyful: Researchismymiddlename, I designate you my official ambassador to Mayo and I'm proud to know you. Hurrah again, and hurrah for ALL the successes. Awesome folk!:=|:-): Tipping my hat to all of you!!

Seconded, and that motion has to carry! Why not begin our collegiality now? So great that we have such a chance!

Passion is certainly what they are known for. Congratulations :)
Also, your first MCAT was at 14? wat.

Thanks so much!!! :oops: it's amazing how I still had the timing down in my brain when I started to prepare for it again last year, (although the concepts were crazy fuzzy). It's like riding a bike, I suppose :D Except it'll change on everyone next year sooo..... reinvent the goddamn wheel?! I hated that test haha

It's amazing.

:oops: You all flatter me so much, it's unbelievable!! I'm just very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to dabble in my dream from the get-go. I wouldn't trade it for the world. All of us on this thread have so much to offer and I can't wait to see what you get to do @ridethecliche!! So happy that you enjoyed your first interview!! I call it the "post-interview high" :happy:

OMG @sunflower18, YOU'RE BRILLIANT!!! You have a near 4.0 in chemistry, your application is amazing, you have so much to offer and any school would be so so so lucky to have you!!! I say this with absolute conviction! And lots and lots of schools see that too -- hence your incredible and terrific success this cycle!!! I really hope Mayo comes around and sees just how amazing and perfect you'd be in their school, but if they don't then they've lost a real star :(

You and @claduva94 also belong at Mayo, Sunflower!! Sadly, the school has a tiny class, but there's still time!
And of course, there's also UCLA :D

+1!!! There's plenty of time, lots of things change and I think @sunflower18 has so many awesome choices that she'll be in a position to turn down Mayo when the time comes ;) Wherever she'll go, she will thrive!

Aww man, no way! I'm no living legend, lol :oops: But @sunflower18 is indeed a rockstar!! :D

@sunflower18, you also have intangibles that are much needed in this field. Your future med school will be very fortunate to have you!

I agree entirely!!

I agree! We're a great community here and I think your perspective is perfect! Glad to have you on the forums!!!

I am so, so, so happy for you--and I congratulate Mayo on having made a wise choice. I can't imagine someone making a greater contribution--and a greater commitment--than you will. May you be blessed and continue to be a blessing!! HURRAH!!!!!

And at the age of, like, six!! :joyful: Researchismymiddlename, I designate you my official ambassador to Mayo and I'm proud to know you. Hurrah again, and hurrah for ALL the successes. Awesome folk!:=|:-): Tipping my hat to all of you!!

Awww @BengaliBrat, you flatter me too much... ambassador to Mayo?!? :oops: I'm so happy to be a part of Mayo Medical School's class of 2019, and amen to your prayer! :D I'm so grateful to know you too, and can't wait to see where you end up because, girl. you are a catch for any medical school!!!

@researchismymiddlename got into Mayo?? Mayo really hit the jackpot!! I'm hoping Claduva and Sunflower get to join you over there:xf:

I'm so happy for you!! This clearly calls for a dance party

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

and for you Taylor Swift fans ;)
giphy.gif

I forgot to quote this one! I loved it!!! :D :biglove: :happy: I too eagerly wish that @sunflower18 and @claduva94 are able to join me!!! That would just be amazing!!!!

Thanks for the nice words, you guys :) I didn't even mean to put myself down in that last post, I promise, I was just trying to express how excited I am for @researchismymiddlename and how great I think she is! This has been a really long and difficult week for me so it's really wonderful to read all of the support and happiness on this thread. Keep on being you, everyone :) :biglove:

Reactions: 4 users
I've mostly been hanging out on the school specific threads, but just discovered this one... but I'll be part of the class of 2019! Congrats to all on the recent acceptances!

Reactions: 9 users
I've mostly been hanging out on the school specific threads, but just discovered this one... but I'll be part of the class of 2019! Congrats to all on the recent acceptances!

Welcome, and congratulations!! Love the profile picture... I'm crazy about anything pink ;)

Have some downtime this weekend, so I've been trying to rustle up med school scholarship applications.

Anyone know of some good resources? :shy: I've been finding it fairly difficult to find scholarships for people who are not currently enrolled in undergrad/post-bacc.

Have some downtime this weekend, so I've been trying to rustle up med school scholarship applications.

Anyone know of some good resources? :shy: I've been finding it fairly difficult to find scholarships for people who are not currently enrolled in undergrad/post-bacc.

That's a really good idea. I should start looking for scholarships too. Thanks for the inspiration!

That's a really good idea. I should start looking for scholarships too. Thanks for the inspiration!

There's the Tylenol Fellowship, I think it's called! But I think you have to be an M1 to apply for that. I may be mistaken of course.

Geisel's financial aid office has a spreadsheet with a bunch of scholarships available. A lot of them have specific requirements but hopefully you'll find one that fits you. Here is the link:
http://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/admin/fin_aid/outside_sources.xls

Geisel's financial aid office has a spreadsheet with a bunch of scholarships available. A lot of them have specific requirements but hopefully you'll find one that fits you. Here is the link:
http://geiselmed.dartmouth.edu/admin/fin_aid/outside_sources.xls
There's the Tylenol Fellowship, I think it's called! But I think you have to be an M1 to apply for that. I may be mistaken of course.

Thanks guys! :) I'm going to root through my interview packets today, because I think a few of them had scholarship lists in there. I'll be sure to report back if I find any good hits.

Whelp, after 2+ hours of Google sifting I've had no luck so far. For reference some decent lists are (be mindful most are for current med students, but I suppose you can flag them for down the road): UC Irvine and UVA. Funny enough, if you are a CT resident or of Japanese ancestry, there seems to be a wealth of scholarships out there for you!

Only scholarship that I was eligible for was the absurdly competitive Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship, whose deadline has already passed. Eh, guess I better keep chugging along with the gap year job.

Hope you guys have better luck with the scholarship search!

Whelp, after 2+ hours of Google sifting I've had no luck so far. For reference some decent lists are (be mindful most are for current med students, but I suppose you can flag them for down the road): UC Irvine and UVA. Funny enough, if you are a CT resident or of Japanese ancestry, there seems to be a wealth of scholarships out there for you!

Only scholarship that I was eligible for was the absurdly competitive Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship, whose deadline has already passed. Eh, guess I better keep chugging along with the gap year job.

I too, am considering Soros. 12k application: 30 spots. In addition to its impossibility, another problem with Soros is that they favors/exclusively love the big names. Judging from the profiles of recipients, one has to go to one of the following Hopkins/Harvard/Stanford for med school to get it. WashU had one more than a decade ago, while there are more than 1 Stanford med every year.

I was seriously considering Soros but I wasn't eligible. I submitted a 3 page letter stating the circumstances of my parent's visa situaiton (16 years in the US attempting to get a green card, and they finally got one last year after re-immigrating to the US), but understandably, I wasn't granted an exception. Your parents have to be new citizens or you yourself must be a new American. Very competitive but substantial scholarship!

Last edited:
I too, am considering Soros. 12k application: 30 spots. In addition to its impossibility, another problem with Soros is that they favors/exclusively love the big names. Judging from the profiles of recipients, one has to go to one of the following Hopkins/Harvard/Stanford for med school to get it. WashU had one more than a decade ago, while there are more than 1 Stanford med every year.
I was seriously considering Soros but I wasn't eligible. I submitted a 3 page letter stating the circumstances of my parent's visa situaiton (16 years in the US attempting to get a green card, and they finally got one last year after re-immigrating to the US), but understandably, I wasn't granted an exception. Your parents have to be new citizens or you yourself must be a new American. Very competitive but substantial scholarship!

Awh, too bad Research! I bet you would have been an excellent candidate with your unique career path. I was born outside of the US but – after a lot of headache – got my naturalization papers. Immigration is never easy, so hats off to those dealing with the green card lottery or stuck in DACA limbo. :(

Yup, FFH. Heavy Stanford and Harvard representation. One MD winner at Penn State, though! It's a moot point, because I fear I wouldn't have had a shot even if I did attend either school. These winners are sheer superstars.

Awh, too bad Research! I bet you would have been an excellent candidate with your unique career path. I was born outside of the US but – after a lot of headache – got my naturalization papers. Immigration is never easy, so hats off to those dealing with the green card lottery or stuck in DACA limbo. :(

Yup, FFH. Heavy Stanford and Harvard representation. One MD winner at Penn State, though! It's a moot point, because I fear I wouldn't have had a shot even if I did attend either school. These winners are sheer superstars.
This is probably not the answer you're looking for, but I see you matching into a specialty that will allow you to pay off debt sooner than later.

In the past, I've seen stuff about TAing during med school. You may want to look into that. Although, who knows if that's even practical with the med school workload.

Apologies in advance, because I will post this request on several threads. Now that I know that at least one med school is blind to my faults and willing to take me in, I'm planning what I'd like to do before my new chapter in life begins. I would really like to volunteer in Asia, but don't want one of the "volunteer vacation" deals. I'm not set on working in a medical setting--after all, I don't really qualify yet--but I would like to do something useful, even if the useful is, as Mother Teresa said, "not great things, but small things with great love." With the big med school expenses coming up (and all the application and interview expenses already incurred!), I can't afford to pay out to one of those programs that charges hefty fees. I would really like to hear from anyone with suggestions about non-teaching opportunities. (I am not a good teacher, and my heart really is set on Asia--East, South, whatever.) Please, please let me know if you have an idea of where I should start looking--or better yet, if you know someone I can contact personally! Thank you!

I am in LA, so much to do, but while on crutches, all I can do is to eat. Anybody here wants to eat/meet/drink/hangout/enjoy the weather with me? I can reach anywhere in the great LA region until I leave on the 20th.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit, but my good mood has everything to do with being a confirmed member of class 2019.

Now that I know that at least one med school is blind to my faults and willing to take me in
Ditto. I wake up everyday feeling thankful for that.

I am in LA, so much to do, but while on crutches, all I can do is to eat. Anybody here wants to eat/meet/drink/hangout/enjoy the weather with me? I can reach anywhere in the great LA region until I leave on the 20th.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit, but my good mood has everything to do with being a confirmed member of class 2019.

Definitely enjoy the weather while you're visiting! I like to say that California has two seasons - really-freaking-hot and not-so-hot - and November has kindly moved us into the latter for a short while.