Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd caution against this 'i hate research' schtick. While I'm not a huge fan of doing bench research, clinical research especially in the forum of database research isn't terribly hard to do sometimes and has real applications in treatment comparisons and improvement.

A paper I just published was an old school rct that showed that patients that have surgery for burst features in the spine and didn't have neurological issues actually do worse than patients that were just braced. Patients have more pain and other issues after this surgery long term.

Part of the service aspect of medicine is to ensure that treatment modalities aren't harming people relative to other treatments. You can't provide the best care if you're stuck in the past or are too eager to adopt the new shiny thing.

I advise you to take a more thoughtful approach to this.
I think he was referring more to his preference for non-academic medicine. I don't take his statements as "anti-research." You can be a community and/or private practice doc and still participate in some form of clinical research. But even if you're not, it's still your responsibility to keep up on the latest literature/clinical trials. Although, it doesn't mean that you have to participate in them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think he was referring more to his preference for non-academic medicine. I don't take his statements as "anti-research." You can be a community and/or private practice doc and still participate in some form of clinical research. But even if you're not, it's still your responsibility to keep up on the latest literature/clinical trials. Although, it doesn't mean that you have to participate in them.

I think it's a shame not to be involved in it at some level. You don't have to make it your focus, but research/QI stuff is insanely important in medicine. Even the occasional case report helps.

Either that or being really involved in education in some other form.

My point is that, every patient you treat is data. That's not all they are, but that's what the modalities are. Creating a system where this stuff is easy to pull from the EMR makes the process of doing research pretty easy for the most part. Tracking quality of life etc, is good for practice and that data is easy to study.

I think it's a shame not to be involved in it at some level. You don't have to make it your focus, but research/QI stuff is insanely important in medicine. Even the occasional case report helps.

Either that or being really involved in education in some other form.

My point is that, every patient you treat is data. That's not all they are, but that's what the modalities are. Creating a system where this stuff is easy to pull from the EMR makes the process of doing research pretty easy for the most part. Tracking quality of life etc, is good for practice and that data is easy to study.
I'm not sure if not being involved in clinical studies is a shame, but I do agree that it's immensely important.

I personally want to get involved in clinical epidemiology. Lack of evidence has had a horrible impact on me as a patient, so I recognize the importance of an evidence based approach.

I'm under the impression that most pre-meds are simply not aware of clinical research. And it's not their fault. For many, lab work is the principle type of research that's made available during undergrad.

And who knows, perhaps with some exposure, he'll eventually choose to participate in cartilage regeneration studies ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
When I said I hate research, it came from a brief bad experience with an awful PI in a wet lab. Also, I know people at Wash U who did it purely for selfish reasons and not actually to help anyone. So no, I'd rather volunteer than do research because long-term service is a much better indicator of true altruism, which I wished med school admissions screened for as a top priority.

image.jpg

This is how they get you...:laugh:

When I said I hate research, it came from a brief bad experience with an awful PI in a wet lab. Also, I know people at Wash U who did it purely for selfish reasons and not actually to help anyone. So no, I'd rather volunteer than do research because long-term service is a much better indicator of true altruism, which I wished med school admissions screened for as a top priority.

As has been said in other threads, this is really misguided.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have an awesome doctor that treats me and cures me than one that is selfless. Sure, one can be both, but I'd counter that this is rare.

While it sucks that you had bad experiences with research, it's naive to see that as the entirety of the field. This is coming from someone that graduated over four years ago and has spent most of their time working in a hospital in some context with a really insane view of the field as a fly on the wall for over a year. I think you need to realize that there's a lot you don't know and that you don't have all the answers. It'll serve you well.

I'm not sure if not being involved in clinical studies is a shame, but I do agree that it's immensely important.

I personally want to get involved in clinical epidemiology. Lack of evidence has had a horrible impact on me as a patient, so I recognize the importance of an evidence based approach.

I'm under the impression that most pre-meds are simply not aware of clinical research. And it's not their fault. For many, lab work is the principle type of research that's made available during undergrad.

And who knows, perhaps with some exposure, he'll eventually choose to participate in cartilage regeneration studies ;)

Clinical studies/trials are different. You can do high caliber research without that. I too am more interested in database/epi stuff.

Side note: Cartilage regeneration is the holy grail of orthopedics. There are so many labs at my institution that focus on it...

Side note 2: I respect bench scientists but it's really not for me. I like working with data that already exists. There are enough questions to ask there. I'm submitting 3 more papers in the next week or two. Super psyched.

Welp, officially one week until the first possible day I could hear back from schools. Considering I will have only interviewed at two schools I'm not crazy optimistic, but it's tough to not feel hope that I'll hear back right away.
Tejas? I'm hoping for some San Antonio love! I would cry.... I'm OOS, but maybe they can dish out my acceptance at same time as yours :):cool:

Im loving the support and optimism in this thread! Special shout out to @M12B and @Ace Khalifa. I haven't received an acceptance yet either, and thoughts of reapplication/worry/anxiety/panic always creep up into my mind.
However, I was talking to my non-premed best friend yesterday (without whom I would not be able to get through this) and telling him how stressed out I was and all I wanted was one acceptance in hand to feel at peace again, when he said something that I think is really true, and because we are so caught up in this madness, its sometimes hard to see it for ourselves. He told me that no, this is probably the only true moment of peace I am ever going to have, the time between submitting my apps and waiting for responses, because this might be the only time in like that there is NOTHING WE HAVE TO DO. We have worked hard for 4+ years, we have poured blood sweat and tears into our applications, we have prepped for our interviews: In this moment, there is nothing to do. Once we get an acceptance, there will once again be things to get done! Decisions to be made, arrangements to be made, new life to be prepared for, etc. And instead of getting anxious about this period of limbo, he told me to see it for what it is: a unique time in our lives where we have already done all that we could do, and now we do things we have always wanted to do! Read books, learn french, watch all the woody allen movies, eat a ton of ice cream... whatever!
So a shift in perspective can really help get through this process. Sure, we might have to re-apply. That possibility is always there. But that will come when it comes (Im not going to worry about that till February personally!) and till then Im going to enjoy every minute in my amazing city with my incredible friends, because who knows, I might be leaving them next year to start med school somewhere!

Reactions: 8 users
Im loving the support and optimism in this thread! Special shout out to @M12B and @Ace Khalifa. I haven't received an acceptance yet either, and thoughts of reapplication/worry/anxiety/panic always creep up into my mind.
However, I was talking to my non-premed best friend yesterday (without whom I would not be able to get through this) and telling him how stressed out I was and all I wanted was one acceptance in hand to feel at peace again, when he said something that I think is really true, and because we are so caught up in this madness, its sometimes hard to see it for ourselves. He told me that no, this is probably the only true moment of peace I am ever going to have, the time between submitting my apps and waiting for responses, because this might be the only time in like that there is NOTHING WE HAVE TO DO. We have worked hard for 4+ years, we have poured blood sweat and tears into our applications, we have prepped for our interviews: In this moment, there is nothing to do. Once we get an acceptance, there will once again be things to get done! Decisions to be made, arrangements to be made, new life to be prepared for, etc. And instead of getting anxious about this period of limbo, he told me to see it for what it is: a unique time in our lives where we have already done all that we could do, and now we do things we have always wanted to do! Read books, learn french, watch all the woody allen movies, eat a ton of ice cream... whatever!
So a shift in perspective can really help get through this process. Sure, we might have to re-apply. That possibility is always there. But that will come when it comes (Im not going to worry about that till February personally!) and till then Im going to enjoy every minute in my amazing city with my incredible friends, because who knows, I might be leaving them next year to start med school somewhere!

Your friend has wonderful insight and we really should enjoy our freedom ;) While I doubt any of us truly have nothing to do, we're at a great point where we've already done everything we could, and have a solid half year to let the pieces fall into place. I was talking to a couple of my classmates who also graduated in June, and they are panicking over where their careers are heading, finding employment they are satisfied with, considering further education.... we don't have to worry about that since we have already decided what we want to do, and taken concrete steps to get there. It's exciting to see how much success has been had so far by everyone, but we're barely halfway through the application cycle. The next few months can be fun and filled with activities or a nightmare of stress and waiting on things no longer in our control. The choice should be an easy one :)

Reactions: 7 users
Tejas? I'm hoping for some San Antonio love! I would cry.... I'm OOS, but maybe they can dish out my acceptance at same time as yours :):cool:

Right on man! I actually didn't get an interview at San Antonio but I have interviews at four other Texas schools, so here's hoping!

I can finally say with confidence that I will be a member of the class of 2019!!! :biglove:

Reactions: 19 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Whoop whoop @Laureatebarrel! Isn't this a grand Monday?

Haven't been on sdn too much due to travel, but I'm 99.999% sure I'm all done with interviews! Whew, that was a ride. Now I can put my feet up, fret about anxiously, and cheer you guys on!

Reactions: 10 users
Hmmm... Granted my interview was the first time I had ever been to Chicago, but this is what I did on the cheap-ish:
  • walked around Millennium Park (lots of cool sculptures like the Bean, good view of the Loop's skyscrapers, and good people watching).
  • The Art Institute of Chicago is right next door to Millennium, so I went there as well. Highly recommend, as they have an unparalleled number of instantly-recognizable masterpieces, though a student ticket is about ~$17. It was worth it just to see Seurat's La Grande Jatte in person and relive that scene from Ferris Bueller.
  • Tuesdays are free at the International Museum of Surgical Science (yes, had to throw a nerdy med student thing in there). The museum is fairly small and some exhibits are kind of hokey, but I enjoyed my visit. I think it's $10 for admission otherwise.
  • bought a fancy platter of ham and a big glass of wine at Eataly, followed by gelato (~$20)
  • took a lazy stroll along the Miracle Mile – which is essentially Chicago's equivalent of Rodeo Drive. Resisted the urge not to spend my life's savings on designer leather goods.
  • went out for deep-dish with @turayza, though I wouldn't recommend you do this alone. Even our "small" pizza was overwhelmingly filling. Maybe see if you can get some interviewees to go out for supper?
Thanks! I've hit up a few of these, but I'll have to get the rest done this visit.

I know the topic of updates has been beat to death, but what about some significant updates in terms of changes at my job (same job, same position, new location with flashier daily work)? Pondering sending it to some schools I interviewed with back in august/september that don't notify for a few months. Any thoughts?

Finally get to join this thread :) oh happy days!

Reactions: 15 users
It's almost 1am and I can't sleep due to the excitement

That makes me smile :) I mean, I hope you get good rest of course! But I'm just so happy that you're thrilled and excited. It's a huge deal and you should be proud of yourself!!!

I can't sleep either because I'm so excited to head to Cleveland tomorrow!!!!! :) :) :) but I'm sure I'll regret not falling asleep sooner, being as my alarm is set for five hours from now.... Oops.

Reactions: 3 users
That makes me smile :) I mean, I hope you get good rest of course! But I'm just so happy that you're thrilled and excited. It's a huge deal and you should be proud of yourself!!!

I can't sleep either because I'm so excited to head to Cleveland tomorrow!!!!! :) :) :) but I'm sure I'll regret not falling asleep sooner, being as my alarm is set for five hours from now.... Oops.
AH GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WILL LOVE YOU

Reactions: 5 users

I hope I'm not too late but GOODLUCK at Cleveland! I know from all the messages we've shared that you love the school! I'm rooting for you and have no doubt that they'll love you

I'll be rooting for you all day tomorrow, Sunflower! You deserve this! So stoked to see what you think of the programs.

Escaped Cleveland just before the cold rolled in and soon will be in the 80 degree embrace of LA. (Currently wearing thermal leggings, thick paddock boots, peacoat, and a blanket-like xxxl men's sweater... because I couldn't fit all of it in by travel bag -___-). This was the first time in years I've been able to put my winter wear to use... and I get 45 degrees and sunshine in Cleveland haha.

Yeesssss congrats @NervousNerd! That's phenomenal news! Don't know if I'm mixing people up, but were you in the Jan 2014 mcat group?

I'll be rooting for you all day tomorrow, Sunflower! You deserve this! So stoked to see what you think of the programs.

Escaped Cleveland just before the cold rolled in and soon will be in the 80 degree embrace of LA. (Currently wearing thermal leggings, thick paddock boots, peacoat, and a blanket-like xxxl men's sweater... because I couldn't fit all of it in by travel bag -___-). This was the first time in years I've been able to put my winter wear to use... and I get 45 degrees and sunshine in Cleveland haha.

Yeesssss congrats @NervousNerd! That's phenomenal news! Don't know if I'm mixing people up, but were you in the Jan 2014 mcat group?

That's me! It's been so long since then! I'm assuming you were also in the group?!

Reactions: 1 users
SHOUTOUT TO @ProbablyAPenguin ON CASE! YOU GO, PENGUIN! I have a feeling you're in for some very hard decisions come April.

Reactions: 7 users
Heyyy, wanted to join the thread! I've seen most of you already in other threads, but hey!:=|:-):

Reactions: 5 users
Also this because triple post.

anigif_enhanced-32738-1415637975-23.gif

I.e. How I feel about MD Apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Recently got back from Colorado... hopefully haven't missed anything too important, and hope you guys have been doing well!!

@ridethecliche, sorry to hear about the CT rejection, that's a bummer :(
@hellanutella, congrats on Sinai!!!! What a dream come true!! You are awesome, CONGRATS!!!! :D

Some photos, because why not... amazing pesto pizza, a cheesecake burrito, the 16th street mall, and popcorn! Denver was absolutely lovely, and I wish I could have stayed there for several more weeks! So much incredible food, too!

IMG_3105 (1).JPG

IMG_3112 (1).JPG

IMG_3115 (1).JPG

IMG_3210 (1).JPG

IMG_3172 (1).JPG

Does anyone have a template of how In-the-area emails supposed to look like? :oops:
I'm super happy that I finally get to send this kind of email hehehe :D

:love: Thank you guys! I still can't believe it. Let the West Coast vs. East Coast battle commence! @Cyberdyne 101 if you're still in NYC around mid-March, I'm pretty sure I'll be coming back then for second look.

Recently got back from Colorado... hopefully haven't missed anything too important, and hope you guys have been doing well!!

@hellanutella, congrats on Sinai!!!! What a dream come true!! You are awesome, CONGRATS!!!! :D

Some photos, because why not... amazing pesto pizza, a cheesecake burrito, the 16th street mall, and popcorn! Denver was absolutely lovely, and I wish I could have stayed there for several more weeks! So much incredible food, too!

View attachment 186975
View attachment 186976
View attachment 186977
View attachment 186978
View attachment 186979

Sweet bebe jesus. Those pictures are amazing! The cheescake burrito looks positively sinful.

Does anyone have a template of how In-the-area emails supposed to look like? :oops:
I'm super happy that I finally get to send this kind of email hehehe :D

This is the one I sent to Columbia for my NYC interviews. Didn't get anything back, but hey... at least I put out the effort.

To whom it may concern,

My name is Hella Nutella (AMCAS ID: 66666666) and I recently applied to this Very Awesome Medical School, which is one of my top choices for medical school. I understand that you may have filled most interview dates or that my application may not be worthy of an interview, but if I am currently under consideration for an invite I would like to inform the committee that I will be in the area from x through y. As a west coast applicant, I am trying to minimize travel costs – though I appreciate it may not possible to extend such an invitation at all or within this limited time frame.

Warm regards,
'Tella

View attachment 186975
View attachment 186976
View attachment 186977
View attachment 186978
View attachment 186979
Isn't it amazing! :) :) :)

Congrats @hellanutella ! I saw they released and was waiting to hear your verdict!

Reactions: 2 users
ACCEPTED???!!!!

post-43079-pursuit-of-happyness-will-smit-UFK1.gif

YESSSSS YESS YES YES YES! Congrats No Limits! Nothing sweeter than that first acceptance – in NYC, no less.
I think my excitement about your acceptance must rival your own, because if I see you at second look I'll finally be able to give you those long overdue cookies!

Reactions: 2 users
YESSSSS YESS YES YES YES! Congrats No Limits! Nothing sweeter than that first acceptance – in NYC, no less.
I think my excitement about your acceptance must rival your own, because if I see you at second look I'll finally be able to give you those long overdue cookies!
I am definitely going. I will finally be able to chill with Hella Amazing herself!! Plus cookies???
smiley-happy057.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Today I submitted 30 update letters. Holy hell.